• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmizzal

Anyone know what this is all about?

A1AhPJWCAAEHKQN.jpg

http://twitter.com/rohanlikespants

Supposedly from Pachter's upcoming show.

Edit: A Thursday? I have my doubts.

Looks like he will be guessing the WiiU launch date on the next show

Michal Pachter?, that's great, he will just bash the Wii U >.<.

Maybe he will make more concrete predictions. Currently, his range of Wii U's future sales potential seems to be "At least Dreamcast, less than Wii", which puts it at the level of "yeah, could be anything". He makes it sound in his descriptions that he considers this a failure, but I'd like to hear what he thinks in terms of numbers.

onilink88

Guys, what the fuck is going on in here?

Hey guys what's...

Magic. That's what's going on.

Maybe he will make more concrete predictions. Currently, his range of Wii U's future sales potential seems to be "At least Dreamcast, less than Wii", which puts it at the level of "yeah, could be anything". He makes it sound in his descriptions that he considers this a failure, but I'd like to hear what he thinks in terms of numbers.

I dunno, from the way he carries himself when discussing the Wii U, I'm just not getting the impression he has any intention other than throwing around schoolyard-grade insults and making asinine claims (see the whole Pro controller debacle).

D-e-f-

Banned
So guys ... I just randomly stumbled over Battalion Wars stuff online and then it clicked.

Battalion Wars + Wii U = perfect match. Right?

What'cha think?

So guys ... I just randomly stumbled over Battalion Wars stuff online and then it clicked.

Battalion Wars + Wii U = perfect match. Right?

What'cha think?

This was discussed quite a bit in earlier WUSTs as I recall. Classic gameplay on the gamepad, amazing realtime battles on the TV... Would be amazing.

Ryoku

honest question, what is so "good" about that lighting? it looks good but I would never notice it as particularly good.

It looks like DX11-grade global illumination. Great light reflections off of certain surfaces. Plenty of radiosity also makes the lighting more believable. Great soft shadows, which are sharper or blurrier around the edges based on the object's distance from the ground. All in real-time, it seems.

Do we have uncompressed footage of Nintendo Land?

It looks like DX11-grade global illumination. Great light reflections off of certain surfaces. Plenty of radiosity also makes the lighting more believable. Great soft shadows, which are sharper or blurrier around the edges based on the object's distance from the ground. All in real-time, it seems.

Do we have uncompressed footage of Nintendo Land?

I highly doubt we'll get any good video until the review copies go out...

Penguin

There was a brief period Nintendo was experimenting with Friday releases for games.

Wish they would have kept it. I liked it more.

But then I can't get my Nintendo World Store launch events on Sat morning.. Thurs morning. just seems so odd

Also Oct 25th.. I feel like the same day Pach predicted for GTA V.. maybe he just needs something out that day

MDX

ooh... that'd be friday here.... ...right? Or you don't think they'll try for a global launch?

I dont know if people in the US have been noticing the trend
of Europe getting releases before the U.S.?
Movies... games... and just recently:

3DSXL:
JP July 28, 2012
EU July 28, 2012
NA August 19, 2012
AU August 23, 2012
KO September 20, 2012

3DS:
JP February 26, 2011[1]
EU March 25, 2011[2]
NA March 27, 2011[3]
AU March 31, 2011[4]
KO April 28, 2012[5

onilink88

There was a brief period Nintendo was experimenting with Friday releases for games.

Wish they would have kept it. I liked it more.

Say, about that game you said that made you go from waiting to wanting the Wii U right away, does it have any chance of appearing at the 13/09 conference?

Or did that come from someone else...?

RAWi

I would dig an October 25th launch :D

But, I don't know. I don't think that Pachter has any information about the official launch date. Would be quite surprising thought.

Seems like I will have to watch his [Pach-Attack].

I dont know if people in the US have been noticing the trend
of Europe getting releases before the U.S.?
Movies... games... and just recently:

3DSXL:
JP July 28, 2012
EU July 28, 2012
NA August 19, 2012
AU August 23, 2012
KO September 20, 2012

3DS:
JP February 26, 2011[1]
EU March 25, 2011[2]
NA March 27, 2011[3]
AU March 31, 2011[4]
KO April 28, 2012[5

I was deployed when the 3DS released, I didn't realize... wow. So.... ...yeah...

I still think the date is utter bullshit but that would line us up for Sunday based on the 3DS release...

The_Lump

Banned
I would dig an October 25th launch :D

But, I don't know. I don't that Pachter has any information about the official launch date. Would be quite surprising thought.

Seems like I will have to watch his [Pach-Attack].

Pretty sure that's why he's advertising it, to get you to watch :) Dude doesnt know the launch date, hence the '?' at the end of the sentence. Probably just gonna be him hypothesizing about it like the rest of us.

Would love if true though.

D-e-f-

Banned
This was discussed quite a bit in earlier WUSTs as I recall. Classic gameplay on the gamepad, amazing realtime battles on the TV... Would be amazing.

ever since the Wii U was announced as having a touch screen built into the controller I've been in love with the idea of various takes on strategy games finally being possible on consoles without silly "analog stick moves cursor" mechanics from the olden days.

APM-focused games like the StarCraft II-type still won't make much sense but slower paced games (c'mon SimCity! <- yep, not afraid to port-beg!) would be a pretty fantastic fit. I'm hoping that developers and publishers see the potential. They did try some on Wii with that Anno game and wasn't there some SimCity-spin off as well? Or am I confusing this with the DS games? Still ... just thinking about this makes me excited for Wii U's future again!

edit:
whatzqy52.jpg

the full tweet that goes along with the image makes the context kind of obvious: a reader/viewer sent in a question (Pach Attack is centered around viewer questions) relating to one of those rumors with pre-order dates and in-store promos and peripheral launch dates or some weird math equation. Maybe it's just simply tied to the ACIII launch date ...

it's not worth spending a lot of time on, really.

Hoodbury

Random question: did they ever say what the release date plan was for Dragon Quest X on the Wii-U? Is it a launch window game? How come it never appears in any lists thrown around here? It's a confirmed game isn't it?

RAWi

Pretty sure that's why he's advertising it, to get you to watch :) Dude doesnt know the launch date, hence the '?' at the end of the sentence. Probably just gonna be him hypothesizing about it like the rest of us.

Would love if true though.

That's what I thought. A marketing strategy. Interesting it will be, nonetheless, if it came to be true.

So... is anyone betting something?! xD Does Pachter knows something or not?

MDX

I think what Nintendo is really hiding from their competition is their online infrastructure and services. Its probably a lot more complex than we think.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Random question: did they ever say what the release date plan was for Dragon Quest X on the Wii-U? Is it a launch window game? How come it never appears in any lists thrown around here? It's a confirmed game isn't it?

It is confirmed, but absolutely nothing else has been revealed. I would guess we will hear something more closer to the end of the year. SE surely wants to maximize sales of the Wii version.

Stewox

Banned
So the next thread will be on the gaming side eh?

Let me prep myself for the one-liners, hit and run posts, the terrific "Wii U is seven year old hardware and on par with PS360" and the always original "Nintendo is finally catching up to Microsoft and Sony" posts. :p

By the way, aren't you from the thewiiu.com forums, I think I've read some post about it from someone knowing me but i was kind of busy, i dont remember if i replied, i think there's more than 2 guys .. hmmm

For anyone wondering about that site, it's the place I spent posting all about WiiU stuff while reading gaf and pretty much researching the whole tech stuff behind it to understand, took me 2 months to actually really understand the whole picture in detail, since february, so ther's total of about 5 months of research, including checked everything back to E3 2011 ofcourse, and familiarity before I started posting on GAF .... so I shouldn't be in the "self-proclaimed nintendo fan" department.

Well besides tech, also a huge metroid fan, and that's 10% of the story.

D-e-f-

Banned
The talk about a social graph made me wonder if maybe all the RAM necessary for the OS could be because of various social features. Plenty of potential if done right.

That, in my opinion, is most definitely what all the RAM is for. All the Miiverse stuff should take up a lot of RAM. And remember that, according to the Pre-E3 Nintendo Direct, you can video chat with OctoG123 while having your game suspended in the background!

The_Lump

Banned
That, in my opinion, is most definitely what all the RAM is for. All the Miiverse stuff should take up a lot of RAM. And remember that, according to the Pre-E3 Nintendo Direct, you can video chat with OctoG123 while having your game suspended in the background!

Super-psyched about this very thing. I really can't wait to see what the os offers with the rumoured RAM reserved for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom