• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-e-f-

Banned
I really miss seeing this picture.

Remember when we were all totally psyched and ready for the light to shine its warm beams upon us? For that one day at least ...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, I've updated the title to reflect the current thread's status.

If you change your mind and want to open the next one in Gaming, feel free, but otherwise I would probably just tack 2 on the end of this thread title for the next one in here.

Tehalemi

Non-specific action figure better be there at that Press Event.

Non-specific action figure will double-team the hosting duties with Reggie if Nintendo knows what's good for them. ;p

If you change your mind and want to open the next one in Gaming, feel free, but otherwise I would probably just tack 2 on the end of this thread title for the next one in here.

Pretty much this regarding my two cents on the subject, at least until someone makes a pre-launch thread in Gaming on October/November.

hmmmm... descisions, descisions..
Nope I didnt see one. You should search first but I doubt anyone made one about that.

Meelow

Banned
hmmmm... descisions, descisions..

Nope I didnt see one. You should search first but I doubt anyone made one about that.

Their was this one but it wasn't really all about Miiverse, so I'll post it, people want to attack the Wii U today for no reason I'll post a good thread.

there's zero new info. it's all just "rediscovered" stuff from the preE3 ND. opening a thread wouldn't make sense to me but that hardly stops others from making threads for lesser news.

It can show people that Nintendo is being more serious with the social/online aspect of the Wii U.

D-e-f-

Banned
Their was this one but it wasn't really all about Miiverse, so I'll post it, people want to attack the Wii U today for no reason I'll post a good thread.

It can show people that Nintendo is being more serious with the social/online aspect of the Wii U.

yeah, at least it's not a graphics thread so go for it.

Meelow

Banned
You can't control what other people post. It shouldn't bother you as much as it apparently does. Internet be internet.

Maybe i'm just reading too much into this though.

Are you talking about the power comments?, it's just annoying that I've been hearing this for 6 years and I don't feel like hearing this again for another 6 years, I just found it weird that people woke up today with a grudge against the Wii U.

Kacho

Congratulations! You made me almost shoot water out of my nose ya bum. xD Never heard anyone describe it quite that way before. :p

Anyway OT...glad we have a normal title again. :)

Me too, brother.

Kind of bummed that we haven't received word of a Nintendo Direct this week. If we don't get one this week or next, I'll be disappointed. I liked the system they had going where we would get a Nintendo Direct every couple months. The lack of news regarding the Wii U/3DS since June is beginning to wear on me.

Does anyone here know the chances of there being a wii u emulator 3-4 years down the line? Just tried dolphin for the first time and it was glorious.

Meelow

Banned
Found this in another website, pretty interesting if this would of happened, it was about if you could change something Nintendo did what would it of been.
5th Generation - Nintendo 64 using CD's would mean...

-Nintendo 64 using CD's could of helped it release in 1995 like it was supposed too.
-Nintendo 64 getting all the third party support
-Nintendo 64 getting the big sales
-Nintendo 64 would of also of gotten Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX and not Sony
-PlayStation would of been having a hard time competing with the N64 but it would of still got better sales than the Saturn do to the PS1 being easy to develop for.
-PlayStation would of got less third party support but still better than Saturn

6th Generation - The huge momentum of the N64

-The GameCube might of been named Nintendo 128 because of the success of the N64
-Due to all the praise from the Nintendo 64, the GameCube/128 would of been the most hyped and not the PS2.
-The Dreamcast still would of released in 1999
-The GameCube/128 would of released with the PS2 in 2000.
-Due to it releasing the same year the PS2 and GameCube/128 would of been on par in power with each other
-Microsoft might of not joined the console business if the PlayStation wasn't a success
-Sega would of stayed in the game and the Dreamcast might of been more successful than the PS2 due to it releasing a year earlier.
-The GameCube/128 could/would of gotten the 150 million sales and not the PS2

7th Generation - The huge success the of GameCube/128

Their could of been two ways this might of been.

-Nintendo announced at E3 2005 that they will have the most powerful console out released, it would of not been called the Wii but the Nintendo 720
-Sega announces that the Dreamcast 2 will release in 2005
-Sega announces that the Dreamcast 2 will feature a Evolutionary controller from the Dreamcast controller and it would be pretty might like Sega's version of the Gamepad
-People are excited about this
-Sony announces that they will release the PS3 in 2005 as well
-Sony announces the PS3 will feature motion controls
-Sega and Sony announces that the Dreamcast 2 and PS3 won't be HD while Nintendo is the only one with an HD console
-Due to Nintendo have huge success 4 generations in a row they don't think about making a new type of controller and just releases a better version of the GameCube/128 controller with every button the Pro Controller has with click able sticks
-Nintendo makes the same mistake as Sony did this gen and making the Nintendo 720 hard to develop for but it would of been cheaper due to no Blu-Ray play back
-The Dreamcast 2 and PS3 would released in 2005 and where both $300 with huge success from day 1
-Nintendo releases the Nintendo 720 in 2006 for about $450
-It is a success but not as successful as the Dreamcast 2 and PS3 due to the revolutionary controllers
-Nintendo loses some third party support due to the high costs of development while the Dreamcast 2 and PS3 get it due to both of them being SD consoles
-Years go by and in 2009 Nintendo announces their own controller similar to the Move, it has the success as the Move in are time.

Sales wise it would of been

1. Sega
2. Sony
3. Nintendo

MarkusRJR

So do we know if Nintendoland will work in single player? Some of my best times with the Wii were with Wii Sports Resort in single player. :(

Kacho

So do we know if Nintendoland will work in single player? Some of my best times with the Wii were with Wii Sports Resort in single player. :(

Yes. Gameplay will change depending on how many players are available. It was also include a single player component.

cand

That would be completely "un-Nintendo", I hope that's not what they're using.

More like this

Project64-2011-01-18-15-17-06-77.png

Wii U = N64 HD CONFIRMED

Thats why I dont know if Ill buy nintendoland if its not packed in. I know it will be more fun locally yet I have no one to play with. Would rather play something online.

More like this

Project64-2011-01-18-15-17-06-77.png

Wii U = N64 HD CONFIRMED
Hell yea. I want nintendo to use that. Call them missions. Sounds like it belongs :)

Stewox

Banned
If CNet got one, it probably means it's open press invitations.

Shacknews reported they got an invite from nintendo ...

All this E3 showpieces delayed into second half of year seems to me just a developer time-grab, to make things better ... like, silence before the storm.

Indeed I don't expect Metroid/Starfox/F-zero caliber stuff nor required either ... but they really need something good, not just 3rd parties like MW/BO probably.

*accomplishment completed*

That would be completely "un-Nintendo", I hope that's not what they're using.

ACCOMPLISHMENT GET!

…that better?

Does anyone here know the chances of there being a wii u emulator 3-4 years down the line? Just tried dolphin for the first time and it was glorious.

We only got a Wii emulator as quickly as we did because it was binary compatible to the GCN. And it still can't run some games at full speed, even with top of the line computer hardware (at least, that's what I'd last heard). Wii U should be easily upwards of ten times as fast as the Wii, so all you need is a computer over ten times faster than the fastest one you can buy today, and you should be set. ;)

Comandr

I would be satisfied with a cool tank and explosion in the background every time.

I'm a bit late to the Mario party, as it were, but all I would really like to see in a new 3D Mario game is going back to 64's style with individual worlds, -- but I want to inject a bit of Banjo-Kazooie into the mix. LET ME GET ALL THE STARS AT ONCE. Gah! I hate having to go in and out of a level ~10 times to get each individual star.

Ryoku

Cryris 2, though it's lighting is a cut above the rest, so I'd say Nintendoland's lighting looks fantastic.

Crysis 2 doesn't have global illumination on the console versions of the game. It was only on PC. It would have probably taken a huge FPS hit--lower than it is already.

"accomplishment accomplished"

Would be so awesome

If it does turn out to be accomplishments, then it could be "XXX accomplished!" (XXX being whatever the objective was)

JordanN

Banned
We only got a Wii emulator as quickly as we did because it was binary compatible to the GCN. And it still can't run some games at full speed, even with top of the line computer hardware (at least, that's what I'd last heard). Wii U should be easily upwards of ten times as fast as the Wii, so all you need is a computer over ten times faster than the fastest one you can buy today, and you should be set. ;)
That's not how it works or else we would be seeing PS3/360 and even Xbox emulators today (with far less processing requirements to boot).

I think a lot of it (aside from the demographic issues that seem to be the focused on in these discussions) is essentially the industry insiders didn't see it coming. Prior to release, EVEN with $599 how many actual industry people predicted the Wii would finish first? I think the general consensus before E3 was PS3 was going to be strong again after PS2. I think after E3 a lot of those predictions switched to the 360 building and building on its year head start and simply never giving up the lead.

I can't remember a single major industry figure predicting the Wii would end the generation in first place prior to launch. Although I'm sure there were many GAFers that thought there was a chance, there was certainly a lot of "walk right in and pick it up a day or two after launch" sentiment.

This ^^

I was working in the industry at the time and even a couple of years after launch there were still people thinking it was just a 'fad'. You couldn't buy one for love nor money for around 2 and a half years. I was lucky enough to have a friend of a friend that was an Area Manager at Game so me and a few others got guaranteed consoles at launch.

The Wii has been the first Nintendo console I've owned and I've been very impressed with it personally. I've got all 3 consoles and the Wii is my favourite, mainly due to some excellent third party exclusives - Trauma Center, Zack and Wiki, House of The Dead Overkill, de Blob...the list goes on and on.

Hopefully now that they're using a GPU with a standard rendering pipeline I can get my multiplatform games for my U as well. I'll still get a PS4 at some point but will wait for the price to drop before I get it. The Wii U is a launch day purchase though.

Stewox

Banned
Maybe he will make more concrete predictions. Currently, his range of Wii U's future sales potential seems to be "At least Dreamcast, less than Wii", which puts it at the level of "yeah, could be anything". He makes it sound in his descriptions that he considers this a failure, but I'd like to hear what he thinks in terms of numbers.

Ofcourse it will be less than Wii - but all the software will bring so much sales to first-parties because of the established bigger audience, well i hope those converts will try some of nintendo games ...

Wii can only happen if you count in all the % mobile tablet percent casuals who just got it as a sunday gadget ... and last but not least, granpas and granmas, you know, aint that much in retirement home, one system per 20-30 people.

Tehalemi

Accomplishment get!!!
I'm Gonna Have To See Some ID - Play at least one EC, E, T, M, and AO rated game before the age of 13.

BOUGHT TO YOU BY THE NINTENDO SEAL OF HUH???

Edit: Based off my experiences visiting my two neighborhood Gamestops, this isn't too difficult to accomplish the M rated stuff, it's the AO that'll make this "get" suck. :p

japtor

I don't know where they would take the next 3D Mario. We've been in the castle, on a tropical island, and two excursions in space. I'd be okay with another galaxy venture, though (because, cmon, it'd look spectacular).
Super Mario Dreamland: Birdo's Revenge
October 25th? Not a sunday?

Bullshit.
Sunday September 23, Nintendo's 123rd anniversary!

(or 30th, which would be close to that Oct 1st rumor)
I think it's BS.  The general public wouldn't even have enough time to preorder the system, let alone buy it
Over a month after announcement isn't enough time to preorder?
How many PS3 and 360 emulators do you see?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom