• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cand

I like the PS3 one too. But awkwardly the 360 one annoys me a LOT. Maybe cause I don't like that huge banner either.

I use to like the 360 one until had a hard time sleeping and horrible anxiety type attacks happening to me in may..every little sound agitated the shit out of me and everytime my friends would get online Id feel like punching the tv lol.. Just turned the sound notification off.

cand

yikes, sounds like you had a pretty shitty time in may... hope you're better now. I mean you're a nintendo fan, you'll suffer so much in your life waiting and having heart attacks that you better shape up XD

I've changed my mind on the achievement notifications. I'd rather all in-game action stop and every character on screen start dancing like they just beat a Kirby level.

Banned
By the way, aren't you from the thewiiu.com forums, I think I've read some post about it from someone knowing me but i was kind of busy, i dont remember if i replied, i think there's more than 2 guys .. hmmm

For anyone wondering about that site, it's the place I spent posting all about WiiU stuff while reading gaf and pretty much researching the whole tech stuff behind it to understand, took me 2 months to actually really understand the whole picture in detail, since february, so ther's total of about 5 months of research, including checked everything back to E3 2011 ofcourse, and familiarity before I started posting on GAF .... so I shouldn't be in the "self-proclaimed nintendo fan" department.

Well besides tech, also a huge metroid fan, and that's 10% of the story.
Yeah, you and I and Meelow are from the Wii U forums. It was my home while I awaited acceptance from NeoGaf.

yikes, sounds like you had a pretty shitty time in may... hope you're better now. I mean you're a nintendo fan, you'll suffer so much in your life waiting and having heart attacks that you better shape up XD
Yea I end up having to take two classes that I failed last semester over this semester because of that. Im taking them over and gonna take it slow this semester as sometimes I still feel vulnerable but not as much. Feel way better and feel like Im returning back to my normal self so thats a plus :D

Meelow

Banned
Yeah, you and I and Meelow are from the Wii U forums. It was my home while I awaited acceptance from NeoGaf.

How did you know :O, nah just kidding lol.

But yeah the Wii U forums where also my home, ever since I got accepted to Neogaf I go on the Wii U forums less and less

I do miss the non drama though and their where no "Lol, Nintendo behind again, Wii U is last gen, even when we don't know the Wii U specs we will just assume the Wii U is weak" stupid comments.

cand

I've changed my mind on the achievement notifications. I'd rather all in-game action stop and every character on screen start dancing like they just beat a Kirby level.

This would be so awesome and at the same time so annoying XD

Yea I end up having to take two classes that I failed last semester over this semester because of that. Im taking them over and gonna take it slow this semester as sometimes I still feel vulnerable but not as much. Feel way better and feel like Im returning back to my normal self so thats a plus :D

Cool, just look for that video, where that girl from ubisoft talks with her magical speech powers, every now and the to chill

Super Mario Dreamland: Birdo's Revenge

Sunday September 23, Nintendo's 123rd anniversary!

(or 30th, which would be close to that Oct 1st rumor)

Over a month after announcement isn't enough time to preorder?

How many PS3 and 360 emulators do you see?
Not for the general public. Moms and Dads who find out news a month after the event

And yay at the title change. Thanks yas EatC :}

Banned
I use to like the 360 one until had a hard time sleeping and horrible anxiety type attacks happening to me in may..every little sound agitated the shit out of me and everytime my friends would get online Id feel like punching the tv lol.. Just turned the sound notification off.
Sucks. I've experienced it myself. I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder but video games help me escape my panic. I'm Better now but 2011 was a shitty year for me.

All the action stops, and the camera zooms WAY WAY WAY out of the game, revealing the game sitting in the Miiverse. All the Mii's then sing the Kirby level-complete tune while dancing, and then the camera zooms back in to the game.

jmizzal

One more post and I should be a member yay

I'm ready to make my first thread, it will be something good and worth while about WiiU

Meelow

Banned
I heard from gamefaq that the German site was misquoted, can anyone confirm this?, and he didn't say it the way people think the way he said it, and when I read the site over again "quantum leap" can mean anything.

All the action stops, and the camera zooms WAY WAY WAY out of the game, revealing the game sitting in the Miiverse. All the Mii's then sing the Kirby level-complete tune while dancing, and then the camera zooms back in to the game.

tumblr_m8phvjz2bF1qbffcj.gif

It's like you're in my head.

So I was at Fan Expo today and they had Wii U units there running ZombiU, Batman, and scriblenauts. I tried the controller, it was like sixaxis light, but I guess that's because of a lack of battery. ZombiU looked amazing, but Batman and Scriblenauts looked like they weren't HD (jaggies on the text), I tried looking at the back of the TVs but I couldn't really see. Has anyone at any Wii U event checked whether to see if they were actually using HDMI?

Anth0ny

So I was at Fan Expo today and they had Wii U units there running ZombiU, Batman, and scriblenauts. I tried the controller, it was like sixaxis light, but I guess that's because of a lack of battery. ZombiU looked amazing, but Batman and Scriblenauts looked like they weren't HD (jaggies on the text), I tried looking at the back of the TVs but I couldn't really see. Has anyone at any Wii U event checked whether to see if they were actually using HDMI?

I'm going tomorrow.

They didn't happen to have NSMB U anywhere, did they?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You are very correct but at E3 2006 and 2010 we saw 2007 and 2011-2012 titles, unlike the Wii U.

Yes, but that does not mean Nintendo is interested in doing the same thing again. What they did last year is not evidence for what they will do this year. If they feel they have enough software and finite marketing time to focus on the launch window, then that's all they'll focus on.

The presentation itself isn't the Marketing spiel. The marketing spiel will be when IGN, GI, and the other publications start writing their articles based on what they see and hear from the event.

The 'everybody' isn't going to tune in and watch an online stream of Reggie talking. They'll read about it if they happen to go to a website that reports on video games or technology.

I wasn't meaning he should spend a lot of time talking about the future of 2013, but I meant the launch window games that we haven't heard about. I want to hear announcements of CoD, NFS, Japanese 3rd party launch games, etc. I wasn't talking so much about 3D mario, Monoloth, Retro, etc.

Presentations are almost always marketing spiels because the 'everybody' has to read the reports afterwards. This is why I asked what kind of media are being invited to this event. If it's the general entertainment media then this event is likely to be Reggie spending an hour marketing the Wii U to them. He markets it to them in order to have them project the positivity and hype through their own articles. If it's a gaming media only even there's a better probability of hearing about new stuff.

But yes, we should hear about CoD and other games we assume will arrive but haven't been formally announced. I'm surprised a proper announcement for CoD hasn't happened yet.

Meelow

Banned
Yes, but that does not mean Nintendo is interested in doing the same thing again. What they did last year is not evidence for what they will do this year. If they feel they have enough software and finite marketing time to focus on the launch window, then that's all they'll focus on.

I think that would be a huge mistake, lots of people want to know the 2013 games and if we don't know that by before launch people might not buy the Wii U if they don't know what will come in 2013, and Nintendo did say they watch the internet so they should know that people want to know about it, unless they be stupid and say "lets just focus on launch and not hype next year".

Roo

I don't know where they would take the next 3D Mario. We've been in the castle, on a tropical island, and two excursions in space. I'd be okay with another galaxy venture, though (because, cmon, it'd look spectacular).

I had this crazy idea a few years ago when I finished Super Mario Galaxy where there's
this huge maze and every path leads you to diferent worlds/maps.
You have to colect stars and coins to find the exit and finally fight against Bowser and rescue
his lover
I mean... Peach.

It looked amazing in my head, something like the Puzzle Cube from the Gusty Garden Galaxy on steroids but then I thought something like that would be to difficult.

Apparently the main Mario games get bigger and bigger. What about going all the opposite?
Maybe something a la Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story? no the theme itself but being microscopic. It could work if done right

jmizzal

I agree that there is enough in the launch window for me and for a lot of other people.

But I have to agree with Meelow that its a lot of other people who need to see past launch window to be convinced to buy WiiU, those are the people Nintendo need to focus on right now, not the people who are gonna buy it anyways with the lineup from E3.

They need to at least announce somes titles for the first half of the year, like Splinter Cell and what ever else is cooking from 3rd parties. They dont have to show them since they prob not ready yet, but announcing them will go along way for people.

The only big 1st party game I expect to be shown for the first time is Smash Bros U

Since this is a hardware debate thread, and since i'm kinda curious, how powerful was the wii u considered to be at it's unveiling at e3 2011 from speculation?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think that would be a huge mistake, lots of people want to know the 2013 games and if we don't know that by before launch people might not buy the Wii U if they don't know what will come in 2013, and Nintendo did say they watch the internet so they should know that people want to know about it, unless they be stupid and say "lets just focus on launch and not hype next year".

I agree that there is enough in the launch window for me and for a lot of other people.

But I have to agree with Meelow that its a lot of other people who need to see past launch window to be convinced to buy WiiU, those are the people Nintendo need to focus on right now, not the people who are gonna buy it anyways with the lineup from E3.

They need to at least announce somes titles for the first half of the year, like Splinter Cell and what ever else is cooking from 3rd parties. They dont have to show them since they prob not ready yet, but announcing them will go along way for people.

The only big 1st party game I expect to be shown for the first time is Smash Bros U

I know, but we say we want more because we're the kind of gamers who regularly follow gaming news, and likely have already made a decision as to whether or not we'll purchase around launch (price, date and actual line-up pending). We know the now, and we're really excited for the future, because that's the unknown.

A console release isn't just about selling it to the gamers. It's about selling it to everybody, including gamers who don't follow online news. And fact of the matter is the kind of people who rush out and buy things at launch aren't the ones excited about a game six months down the track. They're excited about what they can get right now, what the 'must have' product for the holiday season is. This is what caused the Wii to fly off shelves, and it's what Nintendo is trying to do with the 3DS XL and NSMB2.

So, what you'll find is leading up to launch a company is much more likely to focus heavily on marketing and promoting products people can get the day it launches. It sucks, but this is how Nintendo likes to sell their systems. We want more, but the general public will be the ones giving over more money than the 'hardcore' gamers who follow news. And it's the general public that needs to be convinced that NSMB U and Nintendo Land are must have holiday products. In other words, they need to know the Wii U isn't an investment, but something worth every cent right now.

For this reason I'm not expecting any really significant reveals until post-launch. During launch you've captured the people you've convinced with on-shelf titles and products. Post launch is when you want to convince everybody who thought the launch stuff wasn't good enough, and that's when you bring out the future titles.

It would nice to be wrong, and as I said anything is possible, but yeah. Nintendo's main job at the moment will be selling people a Wii U for launch, and for that reason I feel their marketing division and conferences will be primarily dedicated to launch software and features.

But as I said, we still have more to learn. We haven't seen all the mini-games shown in Nintendo Land, I don't think. We've only seem a pretty small portion of NSMBU. Pikmin 3 needs a bit more exposition. We don't know the full extent of the Wii U OS and account systems. This is all 'new' stuff they have to detail before launch.

DrWong

Realistic expectations, good analysis. I agree.

That said we can expect, software wise, 1 or 2 announcements for the NA market with stuff like BLOPS 2. I'm ok with this as I know moar games will come/be announced after the launch. And I think it's wise for Nintendo to save some big bullets for the second half of 2013, when competition will be coming.

Regarding Japan, like Schuelma, I'm expecting more announcements within TGS.

D-e-f-

Banned
Found this in another website, pretty interesting if this would of happened, it was about if you could change something Nintendo did what would it of been.

This post you quoted, aside from the wishful alternate history-thing, is a terrible example of internet grammar. Do you feel like editing it to turn all the "would of" "should of" disasters into "should've" and "would've"? It literally hurts when I read that post.

I heard from gamefaq that the German site was misquoted, can anyone confirm this?, and he didn't say it the way people think the way he said it, and when I read the site over again "quantum leap" can mean anything.
you need some German translated? just holler at me! :)

Since this is a hardware debate thread, and since i'm kinda curious, how powerful was the wii u considered to be at it's unveiling at e3 2011 from speculation?

look at the title. finally fixed!

Oh and btw, the Michael Pachter Q&A with Go Nintendo readers is online! should be hilarious ...

www.g onintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=184047

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Cool for the thread title change :)

imo, the next one should return in Gaming. Ok it will attract people less enthusiasts or even harsh concerning the Wii U, but likewise a crowd genuinely interested, curious, or in a "meh stance" about the platform, so further folks and material to converse. Besides, more posters = more relays of the tidbits on the console & its games = topic doing a better job at consolidating every news pertaining to Wii U.

I miss the pace of the several WUST, (i said several, like the second one, the latest were too quickly burned and cluttered with derailed pages). Harnessed by the moderators to avoid such fights & all, it will be cool.

The way some are justifying their wish for this thread to stay in community is like "hey it's a hell for us in gaming, we should just remain hidden", as if Wii U talks should be something to be ashamed or afraid of. More intake = more fresh blood and discussions.

Or synchronize the thing for an official one to be opened in september, an entry-point to the road leading to the launch.

But that's my take and i don't have the time to participate like before so :)

D-e-f-

Banned
So ... I just randomly decided to buy Star Fox 64 3D two days ago. The game arrived this morning and while chewing on my toast, I flipped through the manual. I came across the multiplayer info page that talks about download play and it mentions that when establishing the connection between two 3DS systems, the distance should not exceed 10m. After that, up to 20m are going to work.

I'm thinking now with the recent comment that one of you guys squeezed out of some Nintendo rep at an event, if I recall correctly, that he's seen the system work as far away as 30feet (about 25m). Do you think the connection/data transfer would be similar and thus a similar distance would be reasonable? I could see them putting out official recommended max distance at 20m as well to be safe even if it works at 25 (=30feet).

So ... I just randomly decided to buy Star Fox 64 3D two days ago. The game arrived this morning and while chewing on my toast, I flipped through the manual. I came across the multiplayer info page that talks about download play and it mentions that when establishing the connection between two 3DS systems, the distance should not exceed 10m. After that, up to 20m are going to work.

I'm thinking now with the recent comment that one of you guys squeezed out of some Nintendo rep at an event, if I recall correctly, that he's seen the system work as far away as 30feet (about 25m). Do you think the connection/data transfer would be similar and thus a similar distance would be reasonable? I could see them putting out official recommended max distance at 20m as well to be safe even if it works at 25 (=30feet).
He said 30 yards, that's 90 feet. In other words, he said it had a range sitting somewhere between an "a" and a "g" wifi router.

bud23

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/41185/wii-u-specs-surprisngly-good-says-sonic-developer/

Sumo confirms what we've known (?) for a while. A lot more memory in the Wii U than the 360 or PS3.

Yes,Specs are enough for me, now it´s time to verify if the third party support is real or only empty words.

Nintendo is what is for their ability to create amazing software as first party.

Of course,we will have Mario and Zelda, but the gap between these games is long. In the meantime Wii U needs more AAA,and these games should come from third party.

Sheroking

Nice PR but you can see that he had an inferior expectation in mind.

It's not like it was good, and then even better. So that's why these out of context developer tosses are pretty inaccurate.

Which is why the only lift I made from the piece was the pretty specific statement that the Wii U had a lot more RAM than the 360 and PS3, which has been speculated but never confirmed by a named developer to this point (AFAIK).

D-e-f-

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom