• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos54

Know what I want instead of a hyper realistic game?
A gorgeous 2D RPG like Terranigma or Chrono Trigger.
Only in HD.
That would be great, but it's not going to happen IMO. Tons of people would write it off simply because it's 2D.

ShockingAlberto said:
If the spec jump I've heard is true, then I am not sure we're going to be getting that without massive increases in break-even sellpoints.
This really scares me. With the rumors that MS is going batshit insane with specs I'm worried about how next gen's going to turn out. We've already seen a ton of developers bite the dust this gen due to rising costs, and I don't see it getting much easier next gen.

snesfreak

Banned
That would be great, but it's not going to happen IMO. Tons of people would write it off simply because it's 2D.
Fuck em!
I'll buy every copy my self.
This really scares me. With the rumors that MS is going batshit insane with specs I'm worried about how next gen's going to turn out. We've already seen a ton of developers bite the dust this gen due to rising costs, and I don't see it getting much easier next gen.
B-b-but UE4 makes development easier.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh dear

Development houses next generation will take a hit man.

Not if Wii U sells good in the beginning, especially if it sells games. I mean, if that happens, I hope some publishers won't be so stupid to make games just for PS4/720, especially in the beginning...

Diablos54

Not if Wii U sells good in the beginning, especially if it sells games. I mean, if that happens, I hope some publishers won't be so stupid to make games just for PS4/720, especially in the beginning...
You underestimate the stupidity of some publishers, some completely ignored the best selling system this gen, I wouldn't be surprised of a repeat next gen either.

StevieP

Banned

Many publishers are already taking a "wait and see" approach to the Wii U. ShockinAlberto can vouch for this.

Many publishers are already taking a "wait and see" approach to the Wii U. ShockinAlberto can vouch for this.

And a few next-gen projects have already started.

You might want to ask yourself why Dead Space 3 looks like such a departure and a copycat of other games, as if the main team isn't really working on it.

Anth0ny

I just want a JRPG that's even 3/4th as good as Chrono Trigger. And I'm still waiting.

I don't understand why no one tries to emulate Chrono Trigger when it comes to JRPGs nowadays. That genre is a shit heap. Awful stories, long cutscenes, overly confusing gameplay mechanics, terrible designs...

Then again, I guess it's a lot easier when you have Sakaguchi, Yuji Horii and fucking Akira Toriyama making a game in their prime.

Diablos54

I don't understand why no one tries to emulate Chrono Trigger when it comes to JRPGs nowadays. That genre is a shit heap. Awful stories, long cutscenes, overly confusing gameplay mechanics, terrible designs...

Then again, I guess it's a lot easier when you have Sakaguchi, Yuji Horii and fucking Akira Toriyama making a game in their prime.
That dream team!

And a few next-gen projects have already started.

You might want to ask yourself why Dead Space 3 looks like such a departure and a copycat of other games, as if the main team isn't really working on it.
Why do I get the feeling that these next gen projects won't be appearing on the Wii U, but the Orbis/Durango/.

Sadist

Not gonna lie, buying KH3D specifically to support TWEWY.
Glad I'm not the only one.

We'll see. I'm not holding my breath for anything, but if the power increase will be that significant I fear for the industry as a whole. A lot of them will go the way of digital distribution.

Mpl90

Eh, I hope that after the launch, if it's successful, we'll see more games from these publishers. And I'm not considering we'll see many other third party games as WiiU release approaches, seeing how Nintendo is even limiting third party about what they can say XD

Mpl90

Why would you hope such a thing? lol

Err, because I'd like the console to be supported in a good way as that Beyond3D insider who everyone say is very reliable ( Li Mau Bai, IIRC...) said just before E3? I'm not understanding XD

Via Nirolak: Dead Space 3 "not currently in the plan" for Wii U.

Whatever the reasons why, I'm still amazed that Nintendo has seemingly had such a terrible success rate at convincing third parties to greenlight Wii U versions of current-gen multiplatform games. I never would have thought a year ago that it'd turn out this badly, but I guess I was just being naive.

StevieP

Banned
Err, because I'd like the console to be supported in a good way as that Beyond3D insider who everyone say is very reliable ( Li Mau Bai, IIRC...) said just before E3? I'm not understanding XD

You should listen to ShockingAlberto more often. lol

Diablos54

Ah yea forgot that one. So basically, most publishers are putting all their eggs in the Orbis/Durango basket more than a year before release? And the reason for this is.... More power? Cause it sure as hell can't be userbase at this point. Hmm, where have I seen this before?

Via Nirolak: Dead Space 3 "not currently in the plan" for Wii U.
Here we go again. Is there a good reason for this, or they just can't be bothered/don't think it would be worth it?

BlackJace

Ah yea forgot that one. So basically, most publishers are putting all their eggs in the Orbis/Durango basket more than a year before release? And the reason for this is.... More power? Cause it sure as hell can't be userbase at this point. Hmm, where have I seen this before?

I just want all 3 consoles on the market already so we can see how this all pans out.

Effect

*Shakes head*. Waiting to see if the Wii U does well when it will only do well if there are games for people to be interested in and to buy. No games = no well selling Wii U. :(

I really hope Nintendo has been hiring enough people and working on engines (for 1st party and 2nd party) in order to increase their game production. There maybe 3rd party games not announced yet that are being made but I've never had faith that western 3rd party support would be there in a way many wanted. Now Japanese 3rd party support is something else and that could be key here but western 3rd party support? Wished for it but seriously never expected it be honest.

Mpl90

You should listen to ShockingAlberto more often. lol

So, basically, how many games can we expect for Wii U first months at this point ( besides the pretty good launch, obviously)? Just to understand the situation.

Historically speaking, third parties tend to stick with the horses they bet on when it comes time to plan for a new generation of consoles.

If they really are betting on Orbis and Durango over Wii U, as seems to be the case, there isn't much reason for optimism, unless Wii U takes off while the other two utterly bomb.

StevieP

Banned
So, basically, how many games can we expect for Wii U first months at this point ( besides the pretty good launch, obviously)? Just to understand the situation.

No idea - Alberto can speak to this one far more than I can.

Historically speaking, third parties tend to stick with the horses they bet on when it comes time to plan for a new generation of consoles.

If they really are betting on Orbis and Durango over Wii U, as seems to be the case, there isn't much reason for optimism, unless Wii U takes off while the other two utterly bomb.

I don't know if it's "over" Wii U so much as they are just basically doing what they did this gen. Difference is that Wii U is able to get port-downs this time around, but... well those need to be budgeted for and completed as well obviously.

Yeah, it's a hell of a creative team, but I just can't see why nobody captilized on it. It combats so many of the typical JRPG complaints with relative ease. JRPGs are too damn long and full of filler? CT has 20-25 hour runtime, zero filler. Sidequests are shitty fetch-quests? CT actually incorporates it's characters into the sidequests in a meaningful way that expands on their personal history. Random battles suck? CT gets rid of random battles, and builds encounters in a way that you'd never feel like you need to go back and farm a few levels. The entire game is built on a steady difficult curve that moves along with you. JRPGs have shitty, anime shonen bullshit masquering as stories? CT's plot is one of a simple, timeless fairy tale, accessible to just about anyone. JRPG combat is too slow and convoluted? CT's combat is fast-paced, easy to learn, and gradually allows the player to grow into it's depth by way of team synergy and combo techs.

CT is such a tightly-paced, wonderfully accessible, timeless JRPG masterpiece, and yet so many of it's ideas and innovations were ignored for bloated playtimes, cliche anime storytelling, and random battles.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm not expecting much from Western publishers and developers. The writing already seems to be on the wall.

Japanese pubs ignoring it would be a bigger story.

BlackJace

I can see the Wii U having nice Japanese support. I don't know what draws them in, but it obviously isn't raw power like most Western devs crave, so that aspect looks kinda bright.

Mpl90

No idea - Alberto can speak to this one far more than I can.

Okay.

So, basically, Alberto (XD), how many games can we expect for Wii U first months at this point from third parties( besides the pretty good launch, obviously)? Just to understand the situation.

Effect

Anyone know which big Japanese publishers/developers we should be paying attention to?

I figure the following.

Square-Enix
Capcom
Team Ninja
Tecmo Koei
Konami (minus Kojima Productions. Assuming there is something else coming out of Konami save Metal Gear anymore these days.)

Anyone else?

I don't know if it's "over" Wii U so much as they are just basically doing what they did this gen. Difference is that Wii U is able to get port-downs this time around, but... well those need to be budgeted for and completed as well obviously.

Well, I probably should have said "effectively betting," which is what they did with Wii.

It'll definitely benefit from having a modern GPU architecture to some extent, but at this point, I see the overall percentage of multiplatform titles it'll receive ending up closer to Wii than to even GC.

Effect

Square-Enix
Capcom
Team Ninja
Tecmo Koei
Konami (minus Kojima Productions)
Sega
Bandai-Namco

Thanks. I forgot about the Square/Enix split that currently exist. Enix with Dragon Quest does seem tied to Nintendo for the foreseeable future. At the moment anyway. Still I don't think Square can avoid the Wii U given how much money they sunk into Final Fantasy XIII and this new engine they're making. Especially with their long development times.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Still I don't think Square can avoid the Wii U given how much money they sunk into Final Fantasy XIII and this new engine they're making. Especially with their long development times.

I agree.

AniHawk

well how many multiplatform games are coming to the ps3 and 360 in 2013 and 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom