• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

In 2013? There are a lot of games coming. If almost all of these come on Wii U too, I'd be satisfied XD
Dead Space 3, Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider are out of the question. BioShock Infinite won't be there unless Levine changed his mind since last E3. Splinter Cell Blacklist has been rumoured/hinted at. Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 is not slated for a Wii U release. And oh, Metro Last Light got canceled.

Up in the air:

- DmC (no chance)
- South Park the Stick of Truth (maaaaaaybe)
- XCOM (no chance)
- Lost Planet 3 (maaaaaybe)

Confirmed: Aliens CM and Injustice.

So... uh.... yeah.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
That's why I'm bummed they didn't do it this year, when they had ~12 months opening. Microsoft and Sony are pretty experienced with getting tech demos on show for their hardware. I figure both know they're going to have to sell what their hardware can bring to graphics, and both are in good positions to do so.

I mean, if they can produce an open world style game, something big and interactive (and not painfully controlled like Beyond), with faces that look similar to this:

facez1fyi.jpg

And animated convincingly, then I think people will be blown away.

for some reason I want to strangely lick his head

AniHawk

That's why I'm bummed they didn't do it this year, when they had ~12 months opening. Microsoft and Sony are pretty experienced with getting tech demos on show for their hardware. I figure both know they're going to have to sell what their hardware can bring to graphics, and both are in good positions to do so.

I mean, if they can produce an open world style game, something big and interactive (and not painfully controlled like Beyond), with faces that look similar to this:

facez1fyi.jpg

And animated convincingly, then I think people will be blown away.

once that thing starts moving, i'm expecting scary, disturbing shit.

AzaK

So, this is already being discussed in the main forum, but what do you think about this statement by Iwata?"

I think he is chiefly thinking about Japan here, and I think he might be correct. In the West, I think he is off the mark.

It's bullshit. Devs are pretty good with current tech. Next gen will be that plus so they can hit the ground running. it's likey all consoles will have GPGPU so everyone has learning there. Some might have dual gpus/CPUs do a learning curve there but the GamePad is going to be a massive hurdle for devs just like Wii Remote ideas and controls seemed to be. Just more bullshit IMO.

It's bullshit. Devs are pretty good with current tech. Next gen will be that plus so they can hit the ground running. it's likey all consoles will have GPGPU so everyone has learning there. Some might have dual gpus/CPUs do a learning curve there but the GamePad is going to be a massive hurdle for devs just like Wii Remote ideas and controls seemed to be. Just more bullshit IMO.
The pad screen is not a must, they can even display the game logo and just ignore it if they want to.

Whenever I see a way too realistic character model, I just think it would be such a pain in the ass to control him.

Like how Drake felt like moving a boat in Uncharted 3.

Whenever I see a way too realistic character model, I just think it would be such a pain in the ass to control him.

Like how Drake felt like moving a boat in Uncharted 3.

Hah! Bad controls have existed for almost as long as controls have existed. If anything, I'd have to say that the characters in the original Resident Evil are slightly less detailed than Nate, but they don't really control any better.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I am saddened that I only just found out this thread existed.

Thank God it does. The intolerableness out there is...intolerable.

This thread is compelling, I'd say.

Considering we'll have new details of MH4 at Capcom Jam ( confirmed today on Famitsu site), it's a good thing to start with this meme now, to be ready for what'll happen with the actual infos

well how many multiplatform games are coming to the ps3 and 360 in 2013 and 2014

Aye, just divide by four to get the final number.

The pad screen is not a must, they can even display the game logo and just ignore it if they want to.

Yeah, Nintendo has gone out of their way a couple times to stress that there is no requirement to use the screens on the GamePads. edit: Ignoring that feature (and a couple others, like camera, mic, IR, et al), it's basically a PS3 controller with the sticks switched to the thumbs' natural resting position.

(well, assuming that the most recent rumour about the triggers actually being analog is true)

Hah! Bad controls have existed for almost as long as controls have existed. If anything, I'd have to say that the characters in the original Resident Evil are slightly less detailed than Nate, but they don't really control any better.

Well yeah, but tank controls were a choice for that game.

When you create a realistic character, if they don't animate realistically, it looks and feels weird. So you animate him realistically. And suddenly controls feel sluggish because you want the character to turn on a dime for gameplay reasons.

Anyone know which big Japanese publishers/developers we should be paying attention to?

I figure the following.

Square-Enix
Capcom
Team Ninja
Tecmo Koei
Konami (minus Kojima Productions. Assuming there is something else coming out of Konami save Metal Gear anymore these days.)

Anyone else?
Square enix- DQ/FF/new ips
Capcom-Ports, new ips, surprise announcements
Konami-they could revolutionize yugioh with NFC tech.
Team Ninja: not sure about TN at this point...
Namco-another big company you forgot to mention. I see them releasing Tales of, SC, and other stuff on Wiiu
Atlus-trauma center, EO, Megaten spinoffs

I do see tons of support from smaller devs like grounding inc, suda 51, Platium, etc..

Penguin

I am saddened that I only just found out this thread existed.

Thank God it does. The intolerableness out there is...intolerable.

To be fair, Nintendo hasn't really helped their cause this past week or so.

Though Gaming-side reminds me a lot of LAST e3's fallout as well. With every piece of news.. well being.. put into threads even when stuff was known from the show

they did? i thought everything got monkey ball. and i thought pso2 would be available on as many platforms as it could.

i wasn't aware of anything else.

There was a listing in their last financial report of games they intend to put out on handheld systems, though I think it was only numbers.

3DS was like 5, Vita was like 20.

Can't imagine this process is continuing, though.

AniHawk

There was a listing in their last financial report of games they intend to put out on handheld systems, though I think it was only numbers.

3DS was like 5, Vita was like 20.

Can't imagine this process is continuing, though.

i would have to assume the vita stuff was multiplatform with 360/wiiu/ps3 or whatever. anything that would get them money.

edit: and also psn titles.

AzaK

So then, why not just get the next MS/Sony console that will have much better graphics if everything else is essentially the same. The pad is the selling point of the Wii U.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't expect much from Sega or Konami.

I think Tecmo Koei, Namco, and Capcom are Wii U's best bets for significant support, with SE also possible. For my personal preferences, Capcom is who I am really hoping includes Wii U in its plans.

Penguin

I don't expect much from Sega or Konami.

I think Tecmo Koei, Namco, and Capcom are Wii U's best bets for significant support, with SE also possible. For my personal preferences, Capcom is who I am really hoping includes Wii U in its plans.

I would have to imagine that SEGA's biggest success this gen were on the Wii, no?

Mostly Sonic, but didn't also Sonic & SEGA All-star Racing sell better on the Wii or is that just in my head?

And House of the Dead 2/3 did well for them. Not sure about Overkill.

EVIL

This thread is compelling, I'd say.

Considering we'll have new details of MH4 at Capcom Jam ( confirmed today on Famitsu site), it's a good thing to start with this meme now, to be ready for what'll happen with the actual infos

wait.. wut? where! *HYPERDYPER*

Azure J

Hey guys, is it weird to feel completely starved for information about this system and who's working on it at current? Like seriously, a new console is releasing, a Nintendo one at that, and I just can't seem to get into the appropriate mindset for it. It's kinda like 3DS pre-launch. I know I'll be getting the system, but damn if it doesn't seem dry in the weirdest way when it comes to enthusiasm.

BlackJace

Hey guys, is it weird to feel completely starved for information about this system and who's working on it at current? Like seriously, a new console is releasing, a Nintendo one at that, and I just can't seem to get into the appropriate mindset for it. It's kinda like 3DS pre-launch. I know I'll be getting the system, but damn if it doesn't seem dry in the weirdest way when it comes to enthusiasm.

The only one to blame about that is Nintendo. They had a chance to get everyone hyped for the console, you know, the console releasing SIX MONTHS from now. But unfortunately, they blew it. Here's hoping they surprise us down the road.

AniHawk

The only one to blame about that is Nintendo. They had a chance to get everyone hyped for the console, you know, the console releasing SIX MONTHS from now. But unfortunately, they blew it. Here's hoping they surprise us down the road.

all games are $59.99. surprise!

all games are $59.99. surprise!

You'd be surprised how many publishers were totally pissed Wii games were not $60.

Nintendo eventually lifted whatever price prohibitions they had for regular games, but refused to raise their own prices. Thus third parties were stuck because their $60 games still had to compete with $50 Nintendo software.

But all indications are that $60 will be the price for Wii U games across the board and $40 is the new budget line.

AniHawk

You'd be surprised how many publishers were totally pissed Wii games were not $60.

Nintendo eventually lifted whatever price prohibitions they had for regular games, but refused to raise their own prices. Thus third parties were stuck because their $60 games still had to compete with $50 Nintendo software.

But all indications are that $60 will be the price for Wii U games across the board and $40 is the new budget line.

that's some real bullshit.

i bought $49.99 games because i was good for it. the last game i bought for $59.99 (and without some sort of $20 coupon to come with it) i think was heavy rain, so something from like two years ago.

it's certainly going to make me more selective in the future, especially when it comes to the experimental stuff.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Honest question: what is it about selling at a profit/not selling at a loss that is inherently something for a company to be "proud" of? What does that mean for anyone but them?

StevieP

Banned
Honest question: what is it about selling at a profit/not selling at a loss that is inherently something for a company to be "proud" of? What does that mean for anyone but them?

Sony (unfortunately, imo) is in real danger right now. Actual danger. Not Sega-level-immediacy, but there is some validity to "living within your means". I know this will sound very republican or something, but it's akin to borrowing massive amounts of money to spend on luxury.

Effect

$59.99 across the board for Wii U games will mean I'll be doing a LOT of waiting for Wii U games. I already rarely buy PS3 games brand new (at full price). Some that I have I've ended up selling after I was done with them in order to get some of my money back (usually around half) and just consider it an extended rental. I have so many Wii games because they were $49 or lower. I already like to be selective when I buy games (sometimes they don't work out) but I'll be even more so once new games are $59 on all the consoles. The only exceptions I make are for RPGs (been playing them since Final Fantasy on the NES) and a game like Battlefield 3 or Call of Duty (not any FPS. I waited until Bad Company 2 PC was like 20 bucks before trying it and that allowed me to have faith in BF3). I know I'll get a LOT of hours out of those genres.

The increase in prices is part of why I've been gaming more on hand helds as well so I can see more purchases taking place for the 3DS and it could speed up me buying a Vita.

Publishers complain games not selling but when every new game is $59.99 you have to end up being selective about what you buy. That is a lot of money to waste. You don't want to give a new game or IP a "try" and be out that much money in the end. When you only advertise what you consider to be AAA games those are the ones people are going to buy but I think even now that's not working so well. Some games have been advertised like that and I don't believe people fell for the trick. Their needs to be tiered pricing and not just $59 and budget.

I know I've been seriously considering getting a subscription to GameFly. As there are more and more games I'd like to play but not enough to want to buy them. When I had a local video store the game rental prices cost to much. At least with GameFly I can rent with an option to buy .

Redford

aka Cabbie
keeps stockholders happy, in theory.

Sony (unfortunately, imo) is in real danger right now. Actual danger. Not Sega-level-immediacy, but there is some validity to "living within your means". I know this will sound very republican or something, but it's akin to borrowing massive amounts of money to spend on luxury.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks alot!

Also, does the 1.5-2 GB of RAM mean a super capable browser this time around?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I posted this in the NPD thread already, but I think one likely possibility for Wii U's launch is Dragon's Dogma. It did not exactly set the NPD's on fire and I think Capcom would be wise to get it on as many platforms as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom