• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StartSomething

Neo Member
CVG has a pretty interesting rumor about why the Durango needs so many cores and so much memory.

As suspected, the latest word from our sources is that Durango's "16 CPU cores" are actually logical cores, which would likely mean eight physical cores running two threads each. This brings its processing power into line with modern high-end PC specs, which might even have eclipsed it come Christmas next year. These words, for instance, are being typed on a machine with an Intel i7-980X CPU that's over a year old. It has six cores, which thanks to Intel's HyperThreading technology act as 12 logical cores.

Now consider that November of last year saw Advanced Micro Devices' "Bulldozer" technology deployed in its "Interlagos" series Opteron processors, which with their eight dual-core modules and four memory units fall right into line with this rumoured Durango spec. The current pre-beta of Microsoft's Windows 8, furthermore, has diagnostic support for up to 640 logical cores.

This kind of insane horsepower is really only useful to web hosts and other high-octane users. What a four or eight-core CPU with multithreading means for a games console is a much more efficient handling of variously demanding tasks. In a media box with integrated Kinect support, background downloading, personal video recording functionality, social connectivity and high-end gaming, the advantages become clear.

And Durango most certainly is a media box. Our sources tell us it even has a standard aerial socket in the back - a kind of integrated version of PS3's PlayTV dongle - to give it complete ownership of your TV activities. The Blu-ray drive is a dead cert, we're told, and joins Freeview, Sky and a wealth of on-demand services in being controlled by Kinect.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353507/features/the-next-gen-manifesto-bioware-dice-and-more-detail-their-ps4-xbox-720-wishlist/?page=5#top_banner

If CVG is right Durango would need to preform DVR functionality while playing games. Having 8GB of memory would probably make something like that easier.

Azure J

What console besides PS2 has even accomplished the ten year plan?

Really, I don't even see the PS2 as one that did the ten year plan. I don't count the residual stuff from when the successor console as anything big, but with these current consoles, its like they were really thinking "hey we can ride this out for 10 years before showing anything new!"

Now we have people with over inflated expectations thanks to the precedent set by this gen's tech leap and console manufacturers trying to determine whether or not indulging them with another comparable leap is the right idea. Weird.

Instro

Higher, much higher. Like making you ask the question "why".

EDIT: Meh, it's been talked about on B3D so 12GB in the dev kit is what I've heard with a target of 8GB.

I wonder how big they are planning to go with the OS and other media functions, like a full version of Windows 8 or something.

Ryoku

CVG has a pretty interesting rumor about why the Durango needs so many cores and so much memory.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353507/features/the-next-gen-manifesto-bioware-dice-and-more-detail-their-ps4-xbox-720-wishlist/?page=5#top_banner

If CVG is right Durango would need to preform DVR functionality while playing games. Having 8GB of memory would probably make something like that easier.

index.php

On a more serious note, a set-top box is actually what I was expecting from Microsoft. The 8GB DDR3 is kind of starting to make sense. I still think it's too much for DVR/gaming multi-tasking. Then again, coupled with a RAM-hog of an OS, who knows.....

Touch

Really, I don't even see the PS2 as one that did the ten year plan. I don't count the residual stuff from when the successor console as anything big, but with these current consoles, its like they were really thinking "hey we can ride this out for 10 years before showing anything new!"

Now we have people with over inflated expectations thanks to the precedent set by this gen's tech leap and console manufacturers trying to determine whether or not indulging them with another comparable leap is the right idea. Weird.
It's actually funny to me. No matter all the flak Nintendo is getting right now, for other reasons, they ARE doing the right thing by not following this 10 year plan. Nintendo will have success with branding alone no matter what, but to top it off they are the first out and that will get attention, unavoidable attention.

I keep forgetting about this direction. This makes a lot of sense as to why it sounds "unbalanced". Though I didn't know the amount of cores, that sounds exactly like my guess. Thanks for the link.

How many people here are going to get ZombiU first day? It's a must buy for me after reading some of the impressions and watching a lot of the footage. I can't believe I'm saying this, but thank you Ubisoft for something good.

Definitely a day one purchase for me. I've been waiting for years for an old school survival horror game. ZombiU is going to be more Resident Evil than Resident Evils 4, 5 and 6. I can't wait!

I'm planning on getting a black Wii U with ZombiU, Assassins Creed 3, Arkham City, Darksiders 2, Lego City Undercover and Rabbids Land at launch and Rayman Legends, Ninja Gaiden 3, Aliens Colonial Marines and Pikmin 3 later on. Not sure how I'm going to pay for it all yet though lol. Should have 375 quid going spare in August and I've got around 655 quid in my betting bank at the moment. That should hopefully increase by another couple of hundred quid by the time launch is upon us. Got some debts to pay off but should have enough left over to get what I need. :eek:D

Oddduck

I went to that site you "go" to for Nintendo news. 7 job postings for Retro Studios just for this week.

There's two possibilities.

1) Retro is expanding like crazy
2) The rumors about Retro being understaffed might have some legitimacy. (which is 99 percent most likely bullshit)

Retro also posted some job listings in April and May.

Also, if Retro is still posting that many jobs, does this mean Retro's Wii U project might not come out for a long time?

Also, if Retro is still posting that many jobs, does this mean Retro's Wii U project might not come out for a long time?

Their project was in a 'presentable condition'. For Nintendo that seems to mean at least more than half way done. Edit: I can't really decide how much, either way, if they can present it, it must be pretty far along.

I'm guessing it won't be too long.

Penguin

I went to that site you "go" to for Nintendo news. 7 job postings for Retro Studios just for this week.

There's two possibilities.

1) Retro is expanding like crazy
2) The rumors about Retro being understaffed might have some legitimacy. (which is 99 percent most likely bullshit)

Retro also posted some job listings in April and May.

Or maybe they were ramping up to finish production. Anything of note in the job listings?

Oddduck

Or maybe they were ramping up to finish production. Anything of note in the job listings?

Seems like job positions are all over the place. Again, I'm taking this off that Nintendo site you "Go" to for news.

Retro Studios Level Designer (Level 2 or 3)
https://nintendo.taleo.net/careersection/10000/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=51000&src=JB-202
Posted 6 days ago

Retro Studios CONTRACT Game Designer (Level 1 or 2)
https://www.jofdav.com/jobs/493412-retro-studios-contract-game-designer-level-1-or-2?ref=simplyhired
Posted 3 days ago

Retro Studios Game Designer (Level 2 or 3)
Posted 3 days ago
https://www.jofdav.com/jobs/500736-retro-studios-game-designer-level-2-or-3?ref=simplyhired

Retro Studios Interface Designer - Level 2 or 3
https://nintendo.taleo.net/careersection/10000/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=51681&src=JB-202
Posted 8 days ago

Retro Studios CONTRACT - Character Artist Level 1, 2 or 3
https://www.jofdav.com/jobs/500759-...aracter-artist-level-1-2-or-3?ref=simplyhired
Posted 3 days ago

Retro Studios Character Artist (Level 1, 2, or 3)
https://www.disabledperson.com/jobs...aracter-artist-level-1-2-or-3?ref=simplyhired
Posted 3 days ago

RETRO STUDIOS - CONTRACT - CONCEPT ARTIST
https://www.jofdav.com/jobs/508632-retro-studios-contract-concept-artist?ref=simplyhired
Posted 3 days ago

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

How in the world are they going to sell this thing for under $500?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Initial payment, plus monthly payments.

Right--forgot about the cell phone plan.

I think that's going to tank majorly, by the way. I'm sure people with a cell-phone contract already are just going to be diving in to add yet another one to their list.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Has this been mentioned: The Nintendo that goes site also listed a story, under the job listings article, about Retro's comment on the Emily Rogers story.

They said it's "A complete fabrication. All is very well at Retro Studios."

I can't find the exact comment on their facebook page.

I hope this is true :/

Oddduck

Has this been mentioned: The Nintendo that goes site also listed a story, under the job listings article, about Retro's comment on the Emily Rogers story.

They said it's "A complete fabrication. All is very well at Retro Studios."

I can't find the exact comment on their facebook page.

I hope this is true :/

Not trying to support Rogers at all, but Rareware said the same thing when they were hit with problems.

And I don't expect any company (especially one owned by Nintendo) to come out and admit to having problems.

Again, not trying to defend her. She's been proven bullshit in the past. Just stating the obvious.

Right--forgot about the cell phone plan.

I think that's going to tank majorly, by the way. I'm sure people with a cell-phone contract already are just going to be diving in to add yet another one to their list.

It's definitely an early hint that Xbox 3's price doesn't seem to be setting up to be "reasonable".

Again, not trying to defend her. She's been proven bullshit in the past. Just stating the obvious.

Still hoping for Paper Zelda. >_>

Diablos54

Initial payment, plus monthly payments.
That's not going to fly, at all. At least with phones it makes sense (Certian amount a month for this much texts/minutes/Internet), but how the hell will it work with a console? You'll be paying monthly for say, 5 years (More like double, but let's say 5). Even if it was $10 a month, that's still $600, not including the initial payment. I'm assuming Xbox Live will be free as well under this. Unless the damn games are free I don't see how this is gonna work.

That's not going to fly, at all. At least with phones it makes sense (Certian amount a month for this much texts/minutes/Internet), but how the hell will it work with a console? You'll be paying monthly for say, 5 years (More like double, but let's say 5). Even if it was $10 a month, that's still $600, not including the initial payment. I'm assuming Xbox Live will be free as well under this. Unless the damn games are free I don't see how this is gonna work.

http://www.redmondpie.com/99-dollar...ption-deal-now-official-here-are-the-details/

Penguin

At least the 99 dollar thing LOOKS like a deal, even if it clearly is not. $500 + monthly installments?

I thought he meant sell it for cheaper but lock folks into longer term contracts

Like sell for 200 with a 2 year contract at 20 a month or something.

Also this is a huge stretch, but remember EA said they had Wii U games to show this summer

And now saying want to show Overstrike this summer

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353774/ea-explains-overstrike-e3-no-show/

Oddduck

I thought he meant sell it for cheaper but lock folks into longer term contracts

Like sell for 200 with a 2 year contract at 20 a month or something.

Also this is a huge stretch, but remember EA said they had Wii U games to show this summer

And now saying want to show Overstrike this summer

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353774/ea-explains-overstrike-e3-no-show/

Because Overstrike is a new IP (there's no assurance it'll sell great) I can see this on Wii U. Mostly due to the risk of launching new IP's.

It's not like Tomb Raider or Far Cry 3 or Crysis 3 where it has brand recognition and can sell based on name alone.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Maybe this is just NPD pessimism, but I cannot shake the feeling that PS4/720 going crazy spec wise and 3rd parties following suit is going to be disastrous for the industry.

Diablos54

So that's $460 overall with Xbox Live included. That's only $30 less than it would all be separately. I guess that's not too bad, but I have no faith in MS not screwing the customer over when it comes to next gen in terms of price. This shit's gonna be expensive. Plus I hate being tied into a contract... It's looking more and more like it's gonna be the Orbis for me next gen between the two.

Maybe this is just NPD pessimism, but I cannot shake the feeling that PS4/720 going crazy spec wise and 3rd parties following suit is going to be disastrous for the industry.
Considering how bad the next year's looking sales wise and how long it initially took MS/Sony to start earning actual money, with the next gen systems most likely being about the same price if not more, I'm very worried.

Gaming had a good run, guys

Also, if Xbox 720 comes out next year, what the hell do they sell it with? Destiny doesn't come out to 2014, Halo 5 is years away, Gears of War: Judgement is in March 2013, Forza is this year, no Fable either....

PERFECT DARK

TunaLover

This overshooting is crazy, it doesn't make any sense from a financial perspective, it's more like an egos war between Sony and MS.

Also, DS3 not coming to Wii U is sad.

jacksrb

One thing that stands out to me as I re-watched the software sizzle reel is how many titles are being published by Nintendo and how those titles will be used across the launch window. Also, there is a nice wide range of software in there.

Launch window title published by Nintendo:
- NintendoLand
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- Lego City Undercover
- Pikmin 3
- Project P-100
- Sing
- Wii Fit U

That is a totally different picture than 3DS or Wii, and should make those months between launch and March pretty interesting (compared to the 3DS).

Oddduck

One thing that stands out to me as I re-watched the software sizzle reel is how many titles are being published by Nintendo and how those titles will be used across the launch window. Also, there is a nice wide range of software in there.

- NintendoLand
- Lego City Undercover
- Pikmin 3
- Project P-100
- Sing
- Wii Fit U

That is a totally different picture than 3DS or Wii, and should make those months between launch and March pretty interesting (compared to the 3DS).

One thing is for certain, there's a variety of genres aimed at different types of people in Nintendo's published Wii U titles.

Gaming had a good run, guys

Also, if Xbox 720 comes out next year, what the hell do they sell it with? Destiny doesn't come out to 2014, Halo 5 is years away, Gears of War: Judgement is in March 2013, Forza is this year, no Fable either....

PERFECT DARK

Forza is launch-ish

Or at least intended to be

Lyude77

I feel like it's unsustainable, but I'm hoping for a new generation of developing companies to take their place.

An aside: I feel like making a thread about the Eurogamer/Konami interview where the Konami employee says FIFA copied PES (on the Nintendo site that Goes). I don't know why, I just think it would be great, like most Gaming side copying threads. :p

At least the 99 dollar thing LOOKS like a deal, even if it clearly is not. $500 + monthly installments?

Yeah like Penguin said the initial payment would be lower than that.

So that's $460 overall with Xbox Live included. That's only $30 less than it would all be separately. I guess that's not too bad, but I have no faith in MS not screwing the customer over when it comes to next gen in terms of price. This shit's gonna be expensive. Plus I hate being tied into a contract... It's looking more and more like it's gonna be the Orbis for me next gen between the two.

The payment plan should be optional, but my interest was piqued sense the news of it first came out as to what kind of price we are looking at for Xbox 3.

sfried

We seem to be talking alot of XBox 360 successor here...for a thread dedicated on Nintendo speculation. Shows GAFs bias, I guess.

I agree with you that she needs to stop, but if there were ever problems in Retro (whether it be now or in the future), Retro won't admit to it.

Example: Rareware.

The writing has been on the wall concerning Retro staff and shakeups for years now, I'm not seeing anything new or illuminating about what she said. Kind of just reiterating what we already knew.

- NintendoLand
- Lego City Undercover
- Pikmin 3
- Project P-100
- Sing
- Wii Fit U

3DS had a very wide range of games on day 1, let alone in the "launch window", quite a bit better than that list:

Pilotwings Resort – Nintendo
Steel Diver – Nintendo
nintendogs + cats – Nintendo
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition – CAPCOM
The Sims 3 – EA
Madden NFL Football – EA SPORTS
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D – Konami
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars – LucasArts
RIDGE RACER 3D – NAMCO BANDAI
Super Monkey Ball 3D – SEGA
BUST-A-MOVE UNIVERSE – Square-Enix
SAMURAI WARRIORS: Chronicles – TECMO KOEI
Asphalt 3D – UBISOFT
Combat of Giants Dinosaurs 3D – UBISOFT
Rayman 3D – UBISOFT
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars – UBISOFT

Oddduck

The writing has been on the wall concerning Retro staff and shakeups for years now, I'm not seeing anything new or illuminating about what she said. Kind of just reiterating what we already knew.

The other day I looked at the credits of Metroid Prime 1.

Only like 25-30 percent of MP1's staff is still working at Retro.

Luckily a good portion of the Prime 3 staff is still around. And I think that's what really matters.

jacksrb

- NintendoLand
- Lego City Undercover
- Pikmin 3
- Project P-100
- Sing
- Wii Fit U

3DS had a very wide range of games on day 1, let alone in the "launch window", quite a bit better than that list:

Steel Diver – Nintendo

I was really just talking about these two lists. The first list obviously doesn't include any third party published titles. And the 3DS had a long first party drought until Ocarina 3D and Star Fox 64 3D.

Oddduck

I'm happy with the Wii U lineup because I'm a big Pikmin fan.

But for those who aren't into Pikmin, all you have is New Mario Bros and Nintendo Land as far as first party offerings.

And I'm not sure how much that'll attract Nintendo fans.

A huge reason Wii sold well at launch is because Twilight Princess launched with it. The other reason was Wii Sports.

nordique

- NintendoLand
- Lego City Undercover
- Pikmin 3
- Project P-100
- Sing
- Wii Fit U

I'm not afraid to admit it, but other than SiNG (and especially if NG3's mechanics are cleaned up) I will probably be getting all of those

nordique

Steel Diver – Nintendo

Nintendo published

In that sense, the 3DS lineup cant come close to the Wii U one in terms of quality and diversity, or even #

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom