• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget this Nintendo and gaming doom-n-gloom, we need some sunshine in here! How could a "safe" launch list have ppl so depressed? The games are coming! It might be 2013 but they're coming

What console besides PS2 has even accomplished the ten year plan?

No, but it doesn't seem to stop MS and Sony from trying to make their systems "future proof" so they can last for 10 years and cost us 600 bucks. Here's a hint for Sony and MS you can NOT future proof your consoles. Go back and look at what made the PS2 such a success. It wasn't throwing insane and expensive hardware in a box, it was properly balanced price/power/performance with a metric ton of awesome games.

Bring back the 300 dollar console with a 5/6 year life span.

burst

nintendo should have gone all out on the WiiU tech and had the monthly payments for the console, like microsoft is looking at doing.

nintendo should have gone all out on the WiiU tech and had the monthly payments for the console, like microsoft is looking at doing.
Microsoft is headed into a 5 yr, $500 contract system. Most ppl don't like 2 yr contracts for their cell phones. Imagine how 5 years will look, like you're signing up for 5 years for a $15,000 car payment lol

Its high risk

burst

people also don't like spending 500-1000 dollars on a mobile up front. Contracts are fine, people are stupid for having issues with them. As long as your have a fair warranty you shouldn't have any issues with it.

Thank god they didn't. That is a HORRIBLE fucking idea. I'm not going to pay monthly to rent to own a god damn video game system.

No matter how much people do not want to hear this or accept it, video game systems are T. O. Y. S. TOYS. They're not cars that you lease for 5 years.

*Edit*

Plus let's not kid ourselves. The kids market is a huge aspect of video game sales. How many parents are going to buy a system they have to pay a monthly fee for? Do NOT use cell phones as an analogy, it's not the same at all. Parents pay for cell phones so they have a way to call their kid, or their kid can call them. They're not paying a monthly fee just so the damn kid can have a toy.

Tim-E

people also don't like spending 500-1000 dollars on a mobile up front. Contracts are fine, people are stupid for having issues with them. As long as your have a fair warranty you shouldn't have any issues with it.

People are "stupid" to not want to tie to a five year contract with a console manufacturer when no one knows how the console will be doing in five years? Hell, we don't ANYTHING about where the industry will be in five years. Things can change very rapidly in this industry and being weary of signing a ridiculously long contract with Microsoft is far from "stupid."

burst

People are "stupid" to not want to tie to a five year contract with a console manufacturer when no one knows how the console will be doing in five years? Hell, we don't ANYTHING about where the industry will be in five years. Things can change very rapidly in this industry and being weary of signing a ridiculously long contract with Microsoft is far from "stupid."

And you pay out the contract when you decide to upgrade or whatever occurs, same cost as it would have been when you purchased it outright. So yeah i don't see a problem?

DynamicG

And you pay out the contract when you decide to upgrade or whatever occurs, same cost as it would have been when you purchased it outright. So yeah i don't see a problem?

Implementing that system is not going to be as easy as you make it sound.

Gaming is a hobby that cuts across a pretty good part of the socioeconomic spectrum. Not all folks pay for a cell phone monthly or have an iphone. Many of the people who are currently propping up several parts of the gaming infrastructure are people who are also likely to have pre-paid cell phones and also might not be likely to handle or commit a 5 year monthly payment for a game console.

Microsoft is going to have some serious logistical issues with this payment plan. I'm assuming they are going to subcontract out to someone else, because someone is going to have to handle delinquent payments and also the collections of delinquent accounts. They'll also have to start checking credit scores.

I think it's an interesting plan and it might be an option for some consumers, but this is not a one-size meets all solution to an expensive console.

This is not directed at burst, just a blurb in general frustration about people in general being called stupid:

As a side note, we can't empirically assume that people are "stupid", there are a variety of reasons why people exhibit certain behaviors and rarely are those related to their intellectual capacity.

burst

Implementing that system is not going to be as easy as you make it sound.

Gaming is a hobby that cuts across a pretty good part of the socioeconomic spectrum. Not all folks pay for a cell phone monthly or have an iphone. Many of the people who are currently propping up several parts of the gaming infrastructure are people who are also likely to have pre-paid cell phones and also might not be likely to handle or commit a 5 year monthly payment for a game console.

Microsoft is going to have some serious logistical issues with this payment plan. I'm assuming they are going to subcontract out to someone else, because someone is going to have to handle delinquent payments and also the collections of delinquent accounts. They'll also have to start checking credit scores.

I think it's an interesting plan and it might be an option for some consumers, but this is not a one-size meets all solution to an expensive console.

As a side note, we can't empirically assume that people are "stupid", there are a variety of reasons why people exhibit certain behaviors and rarely are those related to their intellectual capacity.

I shouldn't have phrased it the way i did, and obviously i don't think all people who dislike contracts are stupid. I just feel that their is an unfair negative perception of contracts. Contracts, in the mobile industry, are ideal for most people because most do not want to shell out 500-100 on a phone, yet they want the latest toy and they would spend $30-100 on prepaid anyway. The issue people have with contracts is that they normally are not responsible enough to stay with in their limit and when a new phone comes out, they want that and are unhappy they need to pay out their current one (or it breaks, but this would happen if they are in the same situation if the pruchased it outright). Clearly microsoft see this as a viable move, so i'm not the only one.

I don't think it would be easy to implement, i just think it would have been cool if nintendo took a very progressive position instead. Plus it would nice to see them on equal footing spec wise and have an awesome controller to boot. I do think consumers should have more options in regards to purchasing a console, power to the consumer.

burst

Watching people hold the controller with a single hand while using the touch screen with the other must mean nintendo will include wrist straps with the Game pad

DynamicG

I shouldn't have phrased it the way i did, and obviously i don't think all people who dislike contracts are stupid. I just feel that their is an unfair negative perception of contracts. Contracts, in the mobile industry, are ideal for most people because most do not want to shell out 500-100 on a phone, yet they want the latest toy and they would spend $30-100 on prepaid anyway. The issue people have with contracts is that they normally are not responsible enough to stay with in their limit and when a new phone comes out, they want that and are unhappy they need to pay out their current one (or it breaks, but this would happen if they are in the same situation if the pruchased it outright). Clearly microsoft see this as a viable move, so i'm not the only one.

I don't think it would be easy to implement, i just think it would have been cool if nintendo took a very progressive position instead. Plus it would nice to see them on equal footing spec wise and have an awesome controller to boot. I do think consumers should have more options in regards to purchasing a console, power to the consumer.

I agree that it is a viable strategy for Microsoft and it might actually work out for them, but it's almost the opposite of what Nintendo seems to want to do.

Big N lacks the corporate structure to start thinking about a payment plan. If it is going to be a challenge for MS, then Nintendo will most certainly struggle setting something like this up. I imagine Yamauchi (or Iwata) balking once he sees all the other small costs that would go into running a service oriented model rather than their more traditional and conservative model of pricing the console lower than the competition. That's not even taking into account what it would have cost to develop a much more powerful system.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
A few pictures of the Wii U Paris showroom here

I see that the trend to employ cute gurl demonstrator didn't stop :p

DSCN5092-Copier-399x300.jpg

burst

I agree that it is a viable strategy for Microsoft and it might actually work out for them, but it's almost the opposite of what Nintendo seems to want to do.

Big N lacks the corporate structure to start thinking about a payment plan. If it is going to be a challenge for MS, then Nintendo will most certainly struggle setting something like this up. I imagine Yamauchi (or Iwata) balking once he sees all the other small costs that would go into running a service oriented model rather than their more traditional and conservative model of pricing the console lower than the competition. That's not even taking into account what it would have cost to develop a much more powerful system.

I know it's completely unrealistic to consider an instalment payment option with a company like nintendo. Nintendo could also lose the price advantage if Microsoft can offer an all encompassing console/home media/fleshlite for a monthly cost. They do need to consider that the WiiU is at a disadvantage when it comes to displaying the the philosophy of the GamePad to consumers, whereas the Wii was intuitive and easy to convey. This generation will call on a gutsy nintendo.

Have we heard anything about specific improvements to the game?

No, just that it's supposed to look better. I have found multiple posts saying someone said it, but I can't find the original post that said it.

Microsoft is headed into a 5 yr, $500 contract system. Most ppl don't like 2 yr contracts for their cell phones. Imagine how 5 years will look, like you're signing up for 5 years for a $15,000 car payment lol

Its high risk

I think it would be more like $199 or $299 up front and then probably like $15 - $25 per month.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
No, just that it's supposed to look better. I have found multiple posts saying someone said it, but I can't find the original post that said it.

The anti-aliasing will be implemented in nearly all launch games that didn't had it this E3, and other things to increase the IQ. Consider this as a fact, and it's reassuring :)

Effect

A video of the Wii U showroom reserved for the Press in Paris, held now

[take a grampa'voice] In my times, french journalists were more respectful and didn't screamed in a small showroom ! ><

Gotta say watching people play these Nintendo Land games are extremely boring. I was hoping for Nintendo to put up videos of these games (maybe that way they can get across the fun of these games better). Finally getting a chance to see more of the videos on the E3 site (well watched it on the eShop) I see they do go over the other Nintendo Land games in more detail but they are still equally as boring. :( With Wii Sports even if you weren't play it was still fun to watch people play them in the same way it's fun to watch sports on TV.

The anti-aliasing will be implemented in nearly all launch games that didn't had it this E3, and other things to increase the IQ. Consider this as a fact, and it's reassuring :)

Oh yeah. It's stupid to judge a console's power by launch games and even worse by unfinished launch games.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
A hands-on article of the Wii U during this Paris showroom

Just google translate it for those who don't understand the croissant language ! It's positive, especially for NintendoLand (some minigames seems to be really fun, like the luigi's one) and Rayman Legends

There are small videos, of Mario & Rayman (which looks gorgeous !)

zombiu2.jpg

And as i said, "cute gurl demonstrator" :D (hey, no offense if you read that :p)

We'll have DrWong impressions soon also.

Thraktor

Just catching up on the thread, and if MS are planning for 8GB of RAM in the next XBox, they're literally building it to run UE4. Could well backfire on them, as I doubt most next-gen engines will be as memory-intensive.

Actually, isn't Sony having the most sensible console architecture for a generation one of the signs of the apocalypse?

Edit: Also, I don't want to get into that thread on the gaming side about Reggie's comments on Wii U's power, but I really have to ask why he used GameCube as an example of a console where later games graphically superseded launch games? The GameCube was literally the worst console to make this argument with, as it launched with Rogue Leader, not to mention Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race Blue Storm, which were both impressive in their own ways.

Tell that to the rest of GAF... Well not all of them but you know what I mean. :p

I have to some. I see fingers going in their ears and them saying "lalalalalalala".

Just catching up on the thread, and if MS are planning for 8GB of RAM in the next XBox, they're literally building it to run UE4. Could well backfire on them, as I doubt most next-gen engines will be as memory-intensive.

Actually, isn't Sony having the most sensible console architecture for a generation one of the signs of the apocalypse?

LOL, I do like PS4's setup the most so far based on what we know compared to Wii U and Xbox 3.

And I do think the former plays into supporting their multimedia desires. That could be pretty some intensive stuff going on in the background while playing a game.

EVIL

I hope you don't take the 16 GB work station comment as a requirement to run UE4 games.

Thraktor

I hope you don't take the 16 GB work station comment as a requirement to run UE4 games.

No, but reading up on how UE4 works, it can be very memory intensive (particularly if you've got wide open spaces and/or are using a high resolution voxelization).

darthdago

No, but it doesn't seem to stop MS and Sony from trying to make their systems "future proof" so they can last for 10 years and cost us 600 bucks. Here's a hint for Sony and MS you can NOT future proof your consoles. Go back and look at what made the PS2 such a success. It wasn't throwing insane and expensive hardware in a box, it was properly balanced price/power/performance with a metric ton of awesome games.

Bring back the 300 dollar console with a 5/6 year life span.

Maybe I missunderstood u but like I understood it I can't agree fully on that one.

The PS 1 was a super success from Sony (I never owned one lend one once with some games for a couple of days and didnt really liked it that much)
The PS 1 was a great success cos of the piracy.
Same with PS 2 cos PS2 was an expensive piece of hardware.

As sad as it is, the better ppl can make piracy on a console the more successful it will be...
Sad story...

So back to cartridges!!!

jacksrb

Edit: Also, I don't want to get into that thread on the gaming side about Reggie's comments on Wii U's power, but I really have to ask why he used GameCube as an example of a console where later games graphically superseded launch games? The GameCube was literally the worst console to make this argument with, as it launched with Rogue Leader, not to mention Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race Blue Storm, which were both impressive in their own ways.

Yeah, I don't think I would win an argument saying that Rogue Leader/Rebel Assault was the best looking Wii game, but we could have that argument.

DynamicG

Maybe I missunderstood u but like I understood it I can't agree fully on that one.

The PS 1 was a super success from Sony (I never owned one lend one once with some games for a couple of days and didnt really liked it that much)
The PS 1 was a great success cos of the piracy.
Same with PS 2 cos PS2 was an expensive piece of hardware.

As sad as it is, the better ppl can make piracy on a console the more successful it will be...
Sad story...

So back to cartridges!!!

Wait. So Piracy was the only reason the PS1 was successful? I think piracy happened on it (wired my own 7 wire mod to play imported wrestling games!) but that's not the sole reason for the PS1's success.

nordique

Oh yeah. It's stupid to judge a console's power by launch games and even worse by unfinished launch games.

Very much agreed though specifically regarding Ubisoft and launch games I will take the wait and see approach. Red Steel, after all, was supposed to look better from its E3 build too and I barely noticed any enhancements

The ensured AA in most launch titles however is very good news. Little things like AA can really make console titles look sharper.

A hands-on article of the Wii U during this Paris showroom

Just google translate it for those who don't understand the croissant language ! It's positive, especially for NintendoLand (some minigames seems to be really fun, like the luigi's one) and Rayman Legends

There are small videos, of Mario & Rayman (which looks gorgeous !)

zombiu2.jpg

And as i said, "cute gurl demonstrator" :D (hey, no offense if you read that :p)

We'll have DrWong impressions soon also.

Those are pretty positive impressions (though most hands-on seems to be) but its good to see

I did note however that the demos they showed were in english haha (or at least one of those pictures indicates at least some of the demoes were in english)

MDX

So Im curious about these compute shaders supposedly in the WiiU GPU.

“Getting more speed in games based purely on hardware revisions is not reaching the same sort of lofty heights we’ve seen in many years past,” says Neal Robison, director of ISV relationships at AMD. “Software developers typically didn’t have to recode their software because advancements in the hardware would give them an uplift that was, in many cases, double the performance of the previous generation. But now it’s getting to the point where we’re adding cores rather than beefing up the individual chips.

Aha-ha! Isnt that what we are hearing from devs regarding the WiiU?

Developers actually have to make some changes to their software—in some cases fundamental architectural changes. Heterogeneous compute is one of those keys that will allow you as a developer to literally get at the guts of the processor and make that giant leap forward with your software to encourage folks to upgrade.”

Ho-ho! Well its clear, those who do not want to embrace the future, will be left behind.
And if rumors and speculations are correct, Nintendo is leading the way.

However, we haven't yet seen a performance-oriented benefit attributable to OpenCL or DirectCompute in games. There, both APIs seem to be enabling software developers with new approaches to augmenting reality.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/directcompute-opencl-gpu-acceleration,3146.html

Hee-hee!

Or maybe I just misunderstood the whole article.

The Gamecube is sort of a focal point for historical mangling. Remember how it was slower than the Playstation 2 and how Nintendo censored all games on it?

MDX

Thank god they didn't. That is a HORRIBLE fucking idea. I'm not going to pay monthly to rent to own a god damn video game system.

No matter how much people do not want to hear this or accept it, video game systems are T. O. Y. S. TOYS. They're not cars that you lease for 5 years.

*Edit*

Plus let's not kid ourselves. The kids market is a huge aspect of video game sales. How many parents are going to buy a system they have to pay a monthly fee for? Do NOT use cell phones as an analogy, it's not the same at all. Parents pay for cell phones so they have a way to call their kid, or their kid can call them. They're not paying a monthly fee just so the damn kid can have a toy.

Not to mention people are forgetting console success is not limited to the US.
How can this program work in Europe? Asia? South America? Africa?
Thats a lot of administrative headaches.
If they dont offer monthly payments for those continents, will they be forced to buy an expensive console at a price point of the PS3 or more for services that are not equal
to what you can get in the US? And they want to roll this out next year?

Has anyone been following the Dead Space 3 sales thread in the Gaming forum?

I can't make up my mind whether to be disappointed that third parties aren't on board with Wii U or just to shrug my shoulders at it, since the odds of the $60 AAA business model existing in a recognizable form by the end of the next generation aren't very high regardless of whether or not they embrace the platform.

We seem to be talking alot of XBox 360 successor here...for a thread dedicated on Nintendo speculation. Shows GAFs bias, I guess.
To properly understand the Wii U's place in the next generation, it would greatly behoove one to also look at its competitors. Once you have apt knowledge of the entire playing field, you'll be able to make more applicable comments about the one you are personally interested in. So frankly, I think it's fine. If we know more about Durango, then we'll know more about where the Wii U sits in comparison to it.

I don't exactly share the optimism that downports are uber-likely, though. These specs sound waaaay out of Wii U's reach, especially for the developers who make full use of the 8GB of RAM, and even then, especially for the developers who work as close to the metal as possible, making a highly-optimized game that uses all that RAM such that porting it to anything with less RAM is entirely infeasible. (Sloppy developers who don't optimize well probably could see downports, though, provided the people doing the port do the optimizing in their stead - although I expect that's more hassle than it's worth.)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ho-ho! Well its clear, those who do not want to embrace the future, will be left behind.
And if rumors and speculations are correct, Nintendo is leading the way.

If you're talking about GPGPUs, Nintendo is hardly leading the way. They've been a standard of GPUs for awhile. It's only natural to expect the next iteration of console hardware to use GPGPUs, in the respect that it was expected of current generation GPUs to be shader capable.

EDIT: I see above we're talking Xbox 720. I can vouch for target specs of 8GB. Texture resolution should be incredible.

^ Yeah. If this GPGPU is the case, then Nintendo will just so happen to be the first console to come out that puts emphasis on that. And considering we were already hearing about this with the other consoles, I can't give Nintendo any more credit than being able to launch first with it.

Has anyone been following the Dead Space 3 sales thread in the Gaming forum?

I can't make up my mind whether to be disappointed that third parties aren't on board with Wii U or just to shrug my shoulders at it, since the odds of the $60 AAA business model existing in a recognizable form by the end of the next generation aren't very high regardless of whether or not they embrace the platform.

Did you see my response to your other post about 3rd parties?

To properly understand the Wii U's place in the next generation, it would greatly behoove one to also look at its competitors. Once you have apt knowledge of the entire playing field, you'll be able to make more applicable comments about the one you are personally interested in. So frankly, I think it's fine. If we know more about Durango, then we'll know more about where the Wii U sits in comparison to it.

I don't exactly share the optimism that downports are uber-likely, though. These specs sound waaaay out of Wii U's reach, especially for the developers who make full use of the 8GB of RAM, and even then, especially for the developers who work as close to the metal as possible, making a highly-optimized game that uses all that RAM such that porting it to anything with less RAM is entirely infeasible. (Sloppy developers who don't optimize well probably could see downports, though, provided the people doing the port do the optimizing in their stead - although I expect that's more hassle than it's worth.)

Wii U is in range. As we talked about before it seems that Wii U should handle next gen ports better than current gen ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom