• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkhero1

Little Kings Story, MadWorld, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii was the lead SKU), de Blob, Zack & Wicki, HOTD: Overkill (again, before it was ported, the Wii was the lead SKU), No More Heroes 1 & 2, Red Steel 2, Goldeneye, Boom Blox, etc.

All games I own and thoroughly enjoyed.

It's funny how the Wii probably had the most third party exclusive games. I have yet to play most of those sadly.

Well I think people might misunderstand the tech, obviously the CPU is more modern, and not optimized for the engines being used, prophecy's contact is a complete unknown as well, he could be someone not familiar with different IBM processors, or he could be a plain numbers guy.

Wsippel has estimated the Wii U's CPU to be based on the 470s series and has mentioned that those chips don't support SIMD, but there was one that did, the 476fp, which if Wsippel is right, would give Wii U a CPU that is "3 cores" but 6 threads, @ 1.6GHz-2GHz Out of order, it would be faster than Xenon, but you would definitely have to optimize to really see that, but in no way is that a weak CPU, it's simply different, and depending on the clock speed, could in fact compare favorably to a steamroll "4 core" since it's easy to describe that cpu as a dual core with "hardware hyperthreading" Just look to Bulldozer if you need to know what I'm talking about there.

Prophecy2K claims his info is based on actual performance and not just theoretical numbers. What I would fear the most would be if the WiiU CPU lacked any sort of VMX/VSX unit. That could explain the disappointing performance for physics and such, but I really really hope Nintendo has not been that belligerent to 3rd parties. I've heard it speculated that it might be included, but only on the "master core" (the huge difference in cache between the cores is perplexing, even if one is handling OS stuff). Or perhaps the poor performance is due to it running at a lower clock rate than on Xenon. It should be noted that the 470s does not include AltiVec via default, but the option is there to add it on if requested.

Just to weigh in on specs since it's been a while, wsippel's theory of modified 470s cores makes alot of sense to me. Since Nintendo love their balance and multipliers and (as wsippel and bgassassin have pointed out) the base seems to be the DSP (120 Mhz according to the leaked docs), I'd put the CPU clock safely at 1.8 Ghz and the GPU at 480 Mhz or 600 Mhz (optimistically since AMDs embedded line has run at 600 Mhz for a few generations now). If we went w/ 1.8 Ghz and 600 Mhz, the CPU would run at 3x the speed of the GPU, which is coincidentally exactly the same as w/ Gamecube.

Then, there's RAM speed, which I can't really take a good shot at, not knowing the type.

Diablos54

It's funny how the Wii probably had the most third party exclusive games. I have yet to play most of those sadly.
Get to it! A lot of those were quality. But saying that, I can see why people would prefer the usual 3rd party titles over the more unique, niche stuff the Wii got.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Little Kings Story, MadWorld, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii was the lead SKU), de Blob, Zack & Wicki, HOTD: Overkill (again, before it was ported, the Wii was the lead SKU), No More Heroes 1 & 2, Red Steel 2, Goldeneye, Boom Blox, etc.

Yeah not a bad list. LKS is fucking amazing.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I mean, I can think of a few, but I'm struggling to think of that many quality titles. What ones are you thinking of?

Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Colors
de Blob
Marble Madness
Red Steel 2
Goldeneye 007 ( it started as a Wii exclusive)
Tatsunoko v.s. Capcom
MH3
Epic Mickey ( I liked it!)
Zack & Wiki
RE4 Wii Edition
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Bloom Blox
Grand Slam Tennis ( the first one )
PES Playmaker (marc^o will perfectly agree with me on this)
And many others

...Yeah, actually even just a 25% of consideration for next gen multiplatform plans ( I hope at least 50%, however) AND a list of exclusives as Wii had...I'd be good XD

EDIT: FUCK, HOW COULD I FORGET THESE OTHER ONES

Little King Story
Mad World
Silent Hill: Shattred Dimensions

I'd say even the last Prince of Persia, a different version compared to HD one, and a better game.

Linkhero1

Get to it! A lot of those were quality. But saying that, I can see why people would prefer the usual 3rd party titles over the more unique, niche stuff the Wii got.

I've been making excuses not to play those games. Either I have some form of ADD or I get too bored causing me to quit playing a game within several minutes.

I probably need to just choose one and just force myself to sit through it. I think I'll go with LKS after finishing up NMH2.

schuelma

Honestly even 2-3 of the bigger 3rd party releases a year (not setting a high standard) would do a lot to fill in the gaps IMO.

Edit- what would also fill in the gaps is NOA doing a better localization job.

AniHawk

matches my list of third party games pretty well, except replace hotd with sonic colors, red steel 2 with a boy and his blob, and goldeneye with rabbids go home.

also klonoa was great, as i'd never played the original. i guess it counts as a first-party game too, but fortune street's better than any mario party save maybe mario party 2.

the thing that will prevent me from getting the quirky b-grade shit is the price of the games. el shaddai and catherine look like they're right up my alley, but they came out at $60 and i don't care to pick 'em up anymore.

z0m3le

Banned
Prophecy2K claims his info is based on actual performance and not just theoretical numbers. What I would fear the most would be if the WiiU CPU lacked any sort of VMX/VSX unit. That could explain the disappointing performance for physics and such, but I really really hope Nintendo has not been that belligerent to 3rd parties. I've heard it speculated that it might be included, but only on the "master core" (the huge difference in cache between the cores is perplexing, even if one is handling OS stuff). Or perhaps the poor performance is due to it running at a lower clock rate than on Xenon. It should be noted that the 470s does not include AltiVec via default, but the option is there to add it on if requested.

Just to weigh in on specs since it's been a while, wsippel's theory of modified 470s cores makes alot of sense to me. Since Nintendo love their balance and multipliers and (as wsippel and bgassassin have pointed out) the base seems to be the DSP (120 Mhz according to the leaked docs), I'd put the CPU clock safely at 1.8 Ghz and the GPU at 480 Mhz or 600 Mhz (optimistically since AMDs embedded line has run at 600 Mhz for a few generations now). If we went w/ 1.8 Ghz and 600 Mhz, the CPU would run at 3x the speed of the GPU, which is coincidentally exactly the same as w/ Gamecube.

Then, there's RAM speed, which I can't really take a good shot at, not knowing the type.

I would suggest the type is GDDR3, also the 476fp cores also makes sense because of timing... I'm basically looking at Wii U as a 2009 console with 2012 features, that is what everything points to.

About the CPU, I believe gearbox pointed to the CPU being really wonderful or some such thing, the quote ended with because it came so late in this cycle. To me I think that means if the CPU is used properly it is greater than Xenon, but running basically code designed for PS360 is going to take a hit to performance, and the CPU simply doesn't have the clock rate to bruteforce the code.

It would be interesting if it had some sort of turbo though, but I won't hold my breathe lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
matches my list of third party games pretty well, except replace hotd with sonic colors, red steel 2 with a boy and his blob, and goldeneye with rabbids go home.
No one lists Muramasa Demon Blade :-(
Marble Madness
Tatsunoko v.s. Capcom
MH3
Epic Mickey ( I liked it!)
RE4 Wii Edition
Grand Slam Tennis ( the first one )

See, games I forgot. I own most of these and regret none of them. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is an excellent fighter. Rabbids Go Home is a lot more fun than people give it credit for.

Lots of good Wii exclusives if you're happy to avoid big budget blockbusters.

Funny thing about the Wii. It's shitty hardware and unorthodox control scheme lead to a slew of weird, middling budget, rough-around-the-edges titles that were, for most part, completely unique to the system. This I loved, as it lead to me having a huge library of Wii games that I couldn't get anywhere else. And I like to explore the weird and quirky end of gaming just as much as I like to play the big stuff. The Wii was great for this.

Easily my favorite console this gen for this reason. Meanwhile, all the ,,AAA derp hardcore cinematic'' games didn't do anything for me. At least 99% of them. Videogames need to be creative for me, like the wacky stuff listed here, not copy bad hollywood blockbusters.

This is also why it really didn't hurt me that these games seem to once again skip WiiU (although I find it awkward that they couldn't even get upcoming games) and I'm mostly pissed about the lack of unique software I was expecting to shake up the HD landscape from Nintendo and such. Nintendoland and karaoke certainly doesn't do it.

Sadist

Can't say I disagree with EatChildren and honestly, I'd be okay with such a situation. I own 65 Wii games and everytime they ask me "man I can't even name 10 Wii games worth owning". Their loss, as the titles are fun. I'd like to add A Boy and his Blob (best Wayforward game), Dead Space Extraction and Prince of Persia the Forgotten Sands. Oh, and Ani is right on Klonoa. Nice little game.

The only problem is, this won't happen.

Ugh. Why not FoC?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
See, games I forgot. I own most of these and regret none of them. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is an excellent fighter. Rabbids Go Home is a lot more fun than people give it credit for.

Agreeing with you about Rabbids Go Home.
...And actually, I think a sequel would fit very well on Wii U. Just think about the editor with the uPad: we could see our Rabbid, and how much we hurt him moving the controller, from two points of view ( the TV monitor and the uPad screen, with an isometric camera since the Rabbid is actually into it ). It'd be awesome.

I might add Rune Factory Frontier. Played this about 80 hours and didn't regret anything :)

Man, Marvelous really was one of the best publishers on Wii. Rune Factory, Little Kings Story, No More Heroes, Muramasa. I hope they don't die.

MDX

So just from various comments, I think it is fair to say 3rd parties are probably at least starting work on the first batch of "next generation" stuff.

Do we think:

A-Wii U is included in at least 75% of these plans.

B- Wii U is included in roughly half.

C- Wii U is included in 25%.

D- Wii U is in Wii position and basically not being considered.

I'll say C. I'd like to believe that for stuff like Madden and FIFA, EA is including Wii U. But I'm not at all convinced that is the case.

A.

People here are pessimists.
Reality of the game industry is that multi-ports will be necessary.
Not only that, major publishers have been saying that exclusivity is not the way of the future.

Recent NDP has shown that sales are sluggish for the PS3 and 360.
And this is not due to any new consoles being announced.

Regarding WiiU has major Ubisoft support out the gate, looks like EA is in, and Activision will probably follow. I'm sure Nintendo will have some major support from Japanese publishers. And we are seeing games where its PS3 & WiiU or 360 & WiiU.
And thats only bridging this gen.
Next gen...

How many developers and publishers will bet that being exclusive on the 720 (assuming it launches in 2013) will be financially feasible? Because I doubt we will see the PS4 until 2013. No, for at least one year, they will have to lean on WiiU. So it will be WiiU & 720.
By the time the PS4 launches, the WiiU will be very much established with developers having put a lot of resources into developing for it.

WiiU will be in the PS2 position next gen.

schuelma

A.

Assuming this is a serious post, I think you are ignoring a lot of on the record and off the record stuff from 3rd parties.

Wow, so none of you guys want to mention Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, one of the greatest action titles ever created, and created specifically with the Wiimote in mind?

SinPunishmentStarSuccessorBox.jpg

You fail me, NeoGAF

sfried

To properly understand the Wii U's place in the next generation, it would greatly behoove one to also look at its competitors. Once you have apt knowledge of the entire playing field, you'll be able to make more applicable comments about the one you are personally interested in. So frankly, I think it's fine. If we know more about Durango, then we'll know more about where the Wii U sits in comparison to it.
Actually, this method of assessment would be erroneous, considering the differences in architecture, and Nintendo's likelyhood to vouch on built-in hardware features would mean that the comparisons will be unbalanced at best. And considering they always like to give conservative numbers when it comes to actual specs, the playing field will look uneven already at the eyes of the specwhores out there.

We have to see Wii U in terms of what feature sets are included in it and see how efficiently it performs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wow, so none of you guys want to mention Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, one of the greatest action titles ever created, and created specifically with the Wiimote in mind?

You fail me, NeoGAF

First party, sucka.

BlackJace

You fail me, NeoGAF

Yikes, I forgot that one too. Great, great, great game.

EDIT: It's first party too? Didn't know.

AniHawk

i think it was the console with the most third party exclusives at retail. or at least, it sure felt like it.

rabbids go home didn't really win me over until that final level. it was mostly amusing at least. sonic colors impressed me from the word go. it's a game that others can look to as an example of how to nail everything in regards to presentation in a video game. may be a little blasphemous to some, but i put it up there with super mario galaxy 2 in my mind, just thanks to the presentation (level design obviously was not as good, especially as the game went on).

I would suggest the type is GDDR3, also the 476fp cores also makes sense because of timing... I'm basically looking at Wii U as a 2009 console with 2012 features, that is what everything points to.

About the CPU, I believe gearbox pointed to the CPU being really wonderful or some such thing, the quote ended with because it came so late in this cycle. To me I think that means if the CPU is used properly it is greater than Xenon, but running basically code designed for PS360 is going to take a hit to performance, and the CPU simply doesn't have the clock rate to bruteforce the code.

It would be interesting if it had some sort of turbo though, but I won't hold my breathe lol.

This may be incorrect, but I've read that GDDR3 chip densities plateaued at 1 gigabit. It's an EOL product at this point, and to achieve the 1.5 GB from the specs sheet, would require an unfathomable (for Nintendo) 12 chips. I think GDDR5 is more like than GDDR3 actually, but after this E3, I am prepared for the worst.

I'm not putting too much thought into that vague quote from the gearbox CEO. As it is an OoOE design, I'm sure it will be "really great" from some game code, but we also have reports that it sucks for other things (specifically physics), which, to me, points to either a lack of pure speed, lack of AltiVec, or both. I forget the reason why, but wsippel seems to believe the 470s is more in line w/ the requirements of a gaming console than the 476fp. Maybe he'll drop in and explain why in more detail, or I'll try to dig through the old posts if I get bored enough.

AniHawk

sin & punishment 2 is a game that should have never been made. the first one bombed and it bombed so hard, and we never got to see it despite it bombing, and then a sequel came off the back of a decade of pent-up demand for the first and it had the chance to bomb worldwide.

but man, so glad it got made. vanquish, bayonetta, and sin & punishment 2 are the holy trinity of 2010's badass action games.

BD1

Banned
I am a believer Nintendo should have it's engineers, who know the Wii U system the best, develop a middleware "U engine" for third parties. License it for free or cheap to developers who create exclusive Wii U content.

These last few pages have shown the importance of quality, unique, exclusive software for Nintendo. Providing resources and a highly optimized tool set that is exconomical for developers could go a long way to securing those types of games.

Sadist

A.People here are pessimists.
Reality of the game industry is that multi-ports will be necessary.
Not only that, major publishers have been saying that exclusivity is not the way of the future.

Recent NDP has shown that sales are sluggish for the PS3 and 360.
And this is not due to any new consoles being announced.

Regarding WiiU has major Ubisoft support out the gate, looks like EA is in, and Activision will probably follow. I'm sure Nintendo will have some major support from Japanese publishers. And we are seeing games where its PS3 & WiiU or 360 & WiiU.
And thats only bridging this gen.
Next gen...

How many developers and publishers will bet that being exclusive on the 720 (assuming it launches in 2013) will be financially feasible? Because I doubt we will see the PS4 until 2013. No, for at least one year, they will have to lean on WiiU. So it will be WiiU & 720.
By the time the PS4 launches, the WiiU will be very much established with developers having put a lot of resources into developing for it.

Pretty positive, but I don't think it's very realistic. Think about what we've heard:

No Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Dead Space 3 and DmC at this point. BioShock Infinite won't be there unless Levine changed his mind. Every other 2K title like XCom and GTA V is out of the question if you look at Zellnick's comment.

At this point, only two titles are confirmed for 2013: Aliens CM and Injustice. And maybe Splinter Cell Blacklist.

I wonder how much money Nintendo is gonna sink into advertisement. Six months isn't a long time to get people in the know.

They should bring back the two Japanese guys, but have an American dudebro as a third cohort. Would make for some hilarious "Poochie-esque" moments. haha

Linkhero1

I am a believer Nintendo should have it's engineers, who know the Wii U system the best, develop a middleware "U engine" for third parties. License it for free or cheap to developers who create exclusive Wii U content.

These last few pages have shown the importance of quality, unique, exclusive software for Nintendo. Providing resources and a highly optimized tool set that is exconomical for developers could go a long way to securing those types of games.

Doesn't Nintendo already offer their own middleware to developers? If I recall correctly, there was a discussion about this in the previous thread or the one before it.

StevieP

Banned
Higher, much higher. Like making you ask the question "why".

EDIT: Meh, it's been talked about on B3D so 12GB in the dev kit is what I've heard with a target of 8GB.

Welp! Cat's out of the bag now. Wonder how long it will take for the gaming side to pick this one up :)
Edit: when I asked about why only 4GB for Debug, I was told "that's all developers need to do their custom allocators and run debug builds without blowing memory"

I really do not want to see 400 - 600 dollar consoles again. 300 - 350 is my upper limit for how much I'll spend on a console. I'm so fucking sick of these 10 year console ideas, give me a modest 300 dollar console every 5 years please.

Microsoft is toying with something for a reason :p

Right--forgot about the cell phone plan.

I think that's going to tank majorly, by the way. I'm sure people with a cell-phone contract already are just going to be diving in to add yet another one to their list.

I... don't think Live Gold is going to be non-mandatory next gen, to be honest. What I mean is that it's going to be integrated and necessary, hence the subscription model making more sense. I could be wrong, as this is pure speculation on my part, but there's a reason why a lot of leaks mention an "always online" console and what that entails.

CVG has a pretty interesting rumor about why the Durango needs so many cores and so much memory.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353507/features/the-next-gen-manifesto-bioware-dice-and-more-detail-their-ps4-xbox-720-wishlist/?page=5#top_banner

If CVG is right Durango would need to preform DVR functionality while playing games. Having 8GB of memory would probably make something like that easier.

At this point, CVG is just leaking stuff they were told as "broad features of the next xbox"

schuelma

Pretty positive, but I don't think it's very realistic. Think about what we've heard:

No Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Dead Space 3 and DmC at this point. BioShock Infinite won't be there unless Levine changed his mind. Every other 2K title like XCom and GTA V is out of the question if you look at Zellnick's comment.

At this point, only two titles are confirmed for 2013: Aliens CM and Injustice. And maybe Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Good overview. Things do not look very good, at least in the West.

SegatoFenghsen

Neo Member
Easily my favorite console this gen for this reason. Meanwhile, all the ,,AAA derp hardcore cinematic'' games didn't do anything for me. At least 99% of them. Videogames need to be creative for me, like the wacky stuff listed here, not copy bad hollywood blockbusters.

This is also why it really didn't hurt me that these games seem to once again skip WiiU (although I find it awkward that they couldn't even get upcoming games) and I'm mostly pissed about the lack of unique software I was expecting to shake up the HD landscape from Nintendo and such. Nintendoland and karaoke certainly doesn't do it.

I definitely agree although I don't have a preferred console this gen. I like all three. I had just come off a 2 year period of playing mostly PS2, and XBOX bargain bin gems when I got a Wii in summer 2010 so it fit in nicely. I was really impressed with the library. The games are pretty niche though so I can see why some didn't look at the system the same way.

Effect

So just from various comments, I think it is fair to say 3rd parties are probably at least starting work on the first batch of "next generation" stuff.

Do we think:

A-Wii U is included in at least 75% of these plans.

B- Wii U is included in roughly half.

C- Wii U is included in 25%.

D- Wii U is in Wii position and basically not being considered.

I'll say C. I'd like to believe that for stuff like Madden and FIFA, EA is including Wii U. But I'm not at all convinced that is the case.

I'm resigned to C or D happening. :( If things are going the way they seem I would expect another repeat of the Wii. Not because titles couldn't be ported down but because I doubt publishers/developers would want to put in the extra work to getting games to run well on the Wii U. There will be some titles from smaller developers if Nintendo ends up publishing but the bulk of the quality games will come from Nintendo and those that are considered 2nd party. However I do not expect the Elders Scrolls, the Watch_Dogs, the Tomb Raiders, etc to show up unless what people are speculating is really wrong.

I was willing to accept getting ports that didn't look as good as games on the PS4/720 and had features turned off. I actually believed when it was said porting to the system was going to be easy (as far as porting games goes).

Now if Nintendo and 2nd party developers can deliver I'll be fine. That might mean all of Nintendo's IPs being developed at some point, many by 2nd parties and some new IPs being created. If Ubisoft wants to dedicated a Wii U team to making games for the system with limited budgets and Activision makes sure Call of Duty hits the system each year I'll be okay as well. Personally there are a lot of 3rd party titles that don't interest me (so I'd be okay with the previous described scenario taking place.) but I know they interest others and for the health of the console it would be nice for them to be there.

I'm just glad my PC should be okay for the next few years as I still just want to get one new console going forward and Nintendo's IPs win out, even if they are still a ways off.

I just hope things turn out for the best so we can look back on the doom and gloom and laugh.

Linkhero1

Okay, but no general comments, otherwise they're absolutely silent, right ? I must admit I'm surprised, I thought Capcom would for sure bring at least some support to Wii U.

Well Capcom didn't do much this E3 and their presence wasn't big. I feel as if they're saving any announcements, if they have any to begin with, until the Japanese showing. Capcom didn't show anything for the 3DS either iirc.

schuelma

Okay, but no general comments, otherwise they're absolutely silent, right ? I must admit I'm surprised, I thought Capcom would for sure bring at least some support to Wii U.

We know E3 did not focus on Japanese third party efforts and stuff will be announced later. I think something like Dragons Dogma is very likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom