• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDX

What actually works for the Wii U is that the last big Japanese console game for this generation is probably going to be RE6 and after that everything will be niche as fuck.

So once Japanese third parties get a handle on Wii U development being different, more of those games should also be on there.

A portion of a GameZone interview with lead designer Takuya Matsumoto...
GZ: Could The Last Story possibly lead to more action-RPGs — not necessarily in this franchise — but maybe some action-RPGs for the Wii U with a similar style from the same development team?

TM: The development team and Sakaguchi-san are looking forward to making more, especially for the Wii U because it has another [screen] right in front of you that will add another level of strategic elements into the action-RPG. So we are really looking forward to it, but we haven't really planned anything.

chris3116

Seems to me Sakaguchi wants to make Wii U games, according to this interview :

http://www.gamezone.com/products/th...he-last-story-interview-with-takuya-matsumoto

DS: Could The Last Story possibly lead to more action-RPGs — not necessarily in this franchise — but maybe some action-RPGs for the Wii U with a similar style from the same development team?

TM: The development team and Sakaguchi-san are looking forward to making more, especially for the Wii U because it has another [screen] right in front of you that will add another level of strategic elements into the action-RPG. So we are really looking forward to it, but we haven't really planned anything.

:}

Jimmy will probably be going crazy over the concept of the Wii U Gamepad. Other than his reactions, I don't think anything new will happen.

I'll still watch, I love Fallon and the Roots are awesome. Reggie, just play some NSMBU with Jimmy but don't talk about Nintendo Land, Wii Fit, ect. It's bad enough you guys probably put Spike and MTV2's ratings in the toilet for an hour straight, don't do the same to Mr Fallon.

Anybody remember the 'What's Obama really thinking?' skit a few years ago where he had this press photo of the President standing next to a Canadian politician repeatedly and obsessively talking about how much he loved Bubble Bobble and that he was going to declare "National Bubble Bobble Day" as soon as he got back to the White House? lol

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=466&Itemid=23&limit=1&limitstart=4 4 chips 1GB GDDR3, 256MBs each.

Also, GDDR5 would be against the rumors of devs saying that the ram was slow. GDDR3 would fit that a lot better, and there is no reason they couldn't use 2GBs with 8 chips.

About the memory, again we have gotten reports of devs having more than 1GB of ram to work with, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 are all possible, but seeing as how the OS is taking up to 512MBs of ram, 1.5GBs for devs makes the most sense.

There are 4 more of those chips on the rear of the card. It's deceiving, I know.

My current theory is that GDDR5 is in use, but that it's been downclocked to 600 Mhz (which would explain the comments on it being slow). I used this site to calculate bandwidth using GDDR5's x16 clamshell mode and a 48-bit bus:

http://www.ehow.com/how_12193732_calculate-memory-bandwidth-gddr5-ram.html

If you do the numbers, you'll see it amounts to 57.6 GB/s, which coincidentally, is the exact specification of the RV770LE supposedly used in the early dev kits. ;)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
There is a pretty clear reason why Wii U will blow up in japan, they will love it as a home portable, a personal console + kareokee. Once it's big in japan, it will get support from there.

Wii blew up in Japan, and it largely got ignored by 3rd parties.

schuelma

On the other side, Wii U has one year of advantage + hardware is better in comparison.

+ home portable (^^)

I really want to be optimistic, and I've made posts expressing my opinion that logically Wii U should receive solid Japanese support...but every word from third parties since E3 has been uniformly negative, so my expectations are pretty low at the moment.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

It was a pretty different situation: at the time Wii released, especially DS, but also PSP had established themselves as the main consoles, and this brought away a part of the support for Wii. Then, we have to count also that third parties last gen were heavily betting on PS3, so many big brands were in development for that platform, and the money spent was so much it was not possible to radically shift the platform. Then, in 2007, despite many good success stories from 3rd parties, we've seen PSP establishing itself much more. MH gave life to PSP, let's all remember this. And then, 2008 and 2009 saw great success stories on PS3, for "core" games.

This time, instead, not only Wii U is being released without brand new competition, but the successor of the platform which stole many of its possible support ( PSP) is doing terribad. So, it's possible for them to have a good support this time.

schuelma

It was a pretty different situation: at the time Wii released, especially DS, but also PSP had established themselves as the main consoles, and this brought away a part of the support for Wii. Then, we have to count also that third parties last gen were heavily betting on PS3, so many big brands were in development for that platform, and the money spent was so much it was not possible to radically shift the platform. Then, in 2007, despite many good success stories from 3rd parties, we've seen PSP establishing itself much more. MH gave life to PSP, let's all remember this. And then, 2008 and 2009 saw great success stories on PS3, for "core" games.

This time, instead, not only Wii U is being released without brand new competition, but the successor of the platform which stole many of its possible support ( PSP) is doing terribad. So, it's possible for them to have a good support this time.

Hypothetically I completely agree with you.

But I'm skeptical until I see something.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=466&Itemid=23&limit=1&limitstart=4 4 chips 1GB GDDR3, 256MBs each.

Also, GDDR5 would be against the rumors of devs saying that the ram was slow. GDDR3 would fit that a lot better, and there is no reason they couldn't use 2GBs with 8 chips.

About the memory, again we have gotten reports of devs having more than 1GB of ram to work with, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 are all possible, but seeing as how the OS is taking up to 512MBs of ram, 1.5GBs for devs makes the most sense.
I haven't heard of 2Gb GDDR3 chips either. Perhaps you meant gDDR3?

Regardless, even if 2Gb GDDR3 chips existed, nintendo would have no incentives to go with EOL'd exotic memory chips.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This reminds me. Definitely need a new Soul Calibur game on the Wii U with Link as a guest character.

Considering how bad the last entry did, I fear we could not see a brand new Soul Calibur for some time.

I look at this: While Take-Two will make sports and family titles for the Wii U, its bigger core franchises have been notably absent from the list of partners. And that seems unlikely to change anytime soon.

And I look at this:

Net-Income:
Code:
[B]Fiscal Year	Take-Two[/B]

FY10 1993	
FY10 1994	
FY10 1995	- $603,000
FY10 1996	$1,682,000
FY10 1997	- $2,768,000
FY10 1998	$7,181,000
FY10 1999	$15,871,000
FY10 2000	$4,555,000
FY10 2001	- $6,918,000
FY10 2002	$59,667,000
FY10 2003	$88,672,000
FY10 2004	$62,119,000
FY10 2005	$35,314,000
FY10 2006	- $184,889,000
FY10 2007	- $138,406,000
FY10 2008	$97,097,000
FY10 2009	- $140,454,000
FY3 2010	- $28,802,000
FY3 2011	$48,458,000
FY3 2012	- $108,816,000		

[B]		- $191.040.000[/B]

I don't understand western publishers, really. It's not like you need to downport GTA to the Wii.

Activision Blizzard ported COD to the Wii and all entries became million sellers. You get 30,000,000 $ - 40,000,000 $ additional revenue. And downports are harder than upports... or even 1:1 ports.

schuelma

I don't understand western publishers, really. It's not like you need to downport GTA to the Wii.

Activision Blizzard ported COD to the Wii and all entrys became million sellers. You get 30,000,000 $ - 40,000,000 $ additional revenue. And downports are harder than upports... or even 1:1 ports.

Makes little sense to me, but what do I know.

Penguin

I look at this: While Take-Two will make sports and family titles for the Wii U, its bigger core franchises have been notably absent from the list of partners. And that seems unlikely to change anytime soon.

And I look at this:

Net-Income:
Code:
[B]Fiscal Year	Take-Two[/B]

FY10 1993	
FY10 1994	
FY10 1995	- $603,000
FY10 1996	$1,682,000
FY10 1997	- $2,768,000
FY10 1998	$7,181,000
FY10 1999	$15,871,000
FY10 2000	$4,555,000
FY10 2001	- $6,918,000
FY10 2002	$59,667,000
FY10 2003	$88,672,000
FY10 2004	$62,119,000
FY10 2005	$35,314,000
FY10 2006	- $184,889,000
FY10 2007	- $138,406,000
FY10 2008	$97,097,000
FY10 2009	- $140,454,000
FY3 2010	- $28,802,000
FY3 2011	$48,458,000
FY3 2012	- $108,816,000		

[B]		- $191.040.000[/B]

Activision Blizzard ported COD to the Wii and all entries became million sellers. You get 30,000,000 $ - 40,000,000 $ additional revenue. And downports are harder than upports... or even 1:1 ports.

I always thought Take-Two was a much more financially stable company...

Hmm
Also kind of curious but how many of their positive years correlate with a new GTA release?

Christine

Nintendo needs to, like, give a clinic to Japanese publishers titled, "Managing your IP: How to preserve value in your properties"

I'm interested to see how well NSMB U works out for them. I think they're burning through some of their stored brand equity, but it may be a productive trade-off all the same.

schuelma

I'm interested to see how well NSMB U works out for them. I think they're burning through some of their stored brand equity, but it may be a productive trade-off all the same.

Yeah I suspect it wasn't originally planned for launch but the 3DS launch made em go fuck it we need a sure thing.

I always thought Take-Two was a much more financially stable company...

Hmm
Also kind of curious but how many of their positive years correlate with a new GTA release?
1997 - Grand Theft Auto
1999 - Grand Theft Auto II
2001 - Grand Theft Auto III
2002 - Vice City
2004 - San Andreas
2008 - Grand Theft Auto IV

*only major releases

Basically, PS1/PS2 - age was "golden", HD-age.. you see.

Penguin

1997 - Grand Theft Auto
1999 - Grand Theft Auto II
2001 - Grand Theft Auto III
2002 - Vice City
2004 - San Andreas
2008 - Grand Theft Auto IV

*only major releases

Basically, PS1/PS2 - age was "golden", HD-age.. you see.

And would FY 2009 be helped by the release of Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and the Damned?

Instro

Seems to me Sakaguchi wants to make Wii U games, according to this interview :

http://www.gamezone.com/products/th...he-last-story-interview-with-takuya-matsumoto

They probably have a good working relationship with Nintendo right now. That coupled with Nintendo's likely dominance in Japan makes them an obvious target for future games.

I think with last gen, almost all developers in Japan were betting big on the PS3 because of the success of the previous 2 consoles. It's not particularly easy to change course once you have sunk so much money into HD development.

And would FY 2009 be helped by the release of Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and the Damned?
Well, FY 2009 was the second worst, I don't think so. ^^

EA's breakdown looks exactly the same (with bigger numbers / loss), THQ also.

I didn't compile Activiosn Blizzards numbers yet, but I think they did decent with Guitar Hero and COD. ;) (and they managed to support the Wii)

Need to look up some other western companies.

Capcom did decent this generation, thanks to Monster Hunter. :p

But some other japanese companies tanked too.

Linkhero1

Yeah I suspect it wasn't originally planned for launch but the 3DS launch made em go fuck it we need a sure thing.

I'm thinking the same. If there's one game that can sell consoles it's a 2D Mario. I will be shocked if the Wii U does not sell like hotcakes.

Considering how bad the last entry did, I fear we could not see a brand new Soul Calibur for some time.

It's because Soul Calibur 2 is still the best one. I didn't like 4 so I skipped 5.

Many Rockstar ports came to the Wii, so I thought it was a no brainer that they'd do WiiU ports at least until PS420.
Can't believe Nintendo couldn't convince more publishers to do ,simple' ports in a whole year...

Very interesting.

ntB8H.gif

Edit:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27590263&highlight=476fp#post27590263

Where have you been?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38704948&#post38704948

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38705975&postcount=227

Manhunt 2 and Bully in 2007. That's it.

And Table Tennis, but well.

Anything that was easily possible. So I'm surprised they are refusing ports now. Reggie acts like this E3 was their biggest success, which is his job, but I hope behind that facade they realise that they fucked up and act accordingly asap.

HylianTom

Banned
I think with last gen, almost all developers in Japan were betting big on the PS3 because of the success of the previous 2 consoles. It's not particularly easy to change course once you have sunk so much money into HD development.
This is probably my main reason for hope as far as Japanese support is concerned, although that isn't saying much. The Wii was coming off of the GameCube and the PS3 coming off of the PS2.. but this time perhaps developers over there might me more inclined to maybe split their bets a bit more evenly between the two consoles?

I'd like to believe it's gonna happen, but after seeing year after year of the third-party platform pattern, it's hard to shake my underlying pessimism.

Anything that was easily possible. So I'm surprised they are refusing ports now. Reggie acts like this E3 was their biggest success, which is his job, but I hope behind that facade they realise that they fucked up and act accordingly asap.

How did those end up selling? Don't forget, despite the hardware deficiencies, Wii had a shit-ton of hype rolling out of E3 2006 and many hardcore players were on board w/ Twilight Princess, Galaxy, Excite and more whetting our palates. Sadly, this is not the case for Wii U atm, though I still believe. :\

Edit: Not to mention the motion controls adding to the brutality of those two games. haha

Watching people hold the controller with a single hand while using the touch screen with the other must mean nintendo will include wrist straps with the Game pad

Veeeeeery late to this, but...why? Are people going to be flinging it around like a Wiimote? Why then, didn't Nintendo include wrist straps with the DS/3DS?

Sadist

Didn't Bully SE sell around 400k on Wii? I own a copy and I kinda enjoyed the game a lot with the Wiimote/nunchuck. Punching jocks and greasers with that controller combo felt good man. I hope they'll think about a successor to Bully. Best Rockstar game with Vice City and Red Dead Redemption.

And man, I still can't believe they actually made a Soul Calibur action game instead of a fighter.

Kokonoe

Banned
If you fellows may, and have twitter, please tweet this.

"#nintendotwitterqs Are the Wii U Game Pad's triggers "Analog Triggers"?"

We may get an answer tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom