• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that this can also be applied to people who have been gaming since before 3D came about. To me, an NES game still has the capacity to entertain and wow me, and I don't look at them comparatively. Most people who profess to be gamers aren't capable of that.

Video games are one of the only forms of entertainment media in existence where the focus on the craft is measured in such a slanted way. I don't watch the Flintstones and think "man, this is garbage, look at that terrible animation!"

Part of the reason Nintendo has the fans that they do is they build things that stand the test of time, which is what other media strives to do with (almost) everything they make. NES games still hold up because the limitation of the medium meant you were REQUIRED to include things that drew people back into the experience and had lasting appeal. It's an example that should be followed more.

Best post in the thread.

Haemi

Hi everyone! Junior Member just after 2 Weeks.

P-100 looks absolutely ok. Small characters that are always in motion don't need to be very detailed. Even the shadows are not as detailed as the ones of the big objects.
But why aren't they using tessellation for wheels or other round objects? Wouldn't be too hard to implement. Is there some proof that Wii U has a tessellation unit?

BlackJace said:
I'm not the only one who thinks the XL is inspired by the GanePad right? Especially the white one.
In what way? It doesn't deviate much from being 3DS-but-bigger, doesn't add any of the GamePad's features 3DS didn't have, doesn't do something like putting the d-pad/buttons on the same level.
Reggie said:
"And so for years this community has been asking, 'Where's Pikmin?' 'Where's Pikmin?' 'Where's Pikmin?' We give them Pikmin. And then they say, 'What else?'

"For years, this community have said, 'Damnit Reggie, when you launch, you better launch with a Mario game.' So we launch with a Mario game, and they say, 'So what's more?'
Well sure, Reggie, but we've known about these games for what, 1-3 years at this point? We were hoping to get an idea of a new thing to want to see.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It was not a good trailer. Especially this eyesore:
lkepo.jpg

N64 = 2 Wii Us duct taped together

Donnie

Some people really should realise that tiny models like that are never complex or detailed. Often they're made to look like they are using a LOD system (as the camera zooms in resources previously used to show the surrounding area are used to progressively increase the detail of the characters). It seems Platinum Games aren't implementing that kind of system, you'd have to imagine that must be because you almost never get close to the character models. Unless of course they just haven't implemented it yet.

Of course a lot of people who're whining about that shot probably already know this and just choose to ignore it.

Well...

http://www.abload.de/img/coh1b9ylb.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/coh2q4zog.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/coh3wlxcy.jpg[img]

:P[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean, it's even uglier than I imagined.

Look at those textures! All detailed... it's disgusting really.

And those fairly smooth models. Way too many poly's being used.

It's just all depressing how bad it is.

Humm. That Reggie thread is full of people who were not going to buy any Nintendo products in the first place but still want to complain about them. Way too much focus on NSMBWii U. I also find it funny how some have ignored the games that were announced on Nintendo Direct. Double standard

Also, some are still not taking that "6 month game window" too well. If you are going to go so far as to say that 2D Mario is not Mario(LOL,as if Mario 64 was the first game), than you definitely have too much frustration and overemphasis of specific titles n the Wii U launch. It might be time to go play some video games for a while and get off GAF

Donnie

Those certainly aren't COD level graphics, they're also cut scenes rather than zoomed in gameplay (every level starts with that kind of cut scene doesn't it?). Not arguing that its not possible for Platinum Games to implement a LOD system that smooths out those characters ect because of course it is. Just commenting on the images.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I was being a smart arse :p. And no, that should be in-engine graphics as high LOD models are loaded into the memory when zooming in. The advantages of building a PC-first game.

For its time, the original Company of Heroes was also very impressive in regards to the level of detail it achieved in a strategy game when zoomed in.

Also, some are still not taking that "6 month game window" too well.

Is this the "six months = launch window" thing? Because nobody should take that well. It's bullshit, plain and simple.

It's like how stores seem to have Christmas/Easter propaganda installed earlier and earlier each year, months before the actual event. Six months after launch is not a reasonable 'launch window' no matter how much Reggie and co might believe it to be.

Donnie

I was being a smart arse :p. And no, that should be in-engine graphics as high LOD models are loaded into the memory when zooming in. The advantages of building a PC-first game.

For its time, the original Company of Heroes was also very impressive in regards to the level of detail it achieved in a strategy game when zoomed in.

Of yeah its in engine, I just meant that those graphics are rendered from that perspective from the beginning as they're opening level cut scenes. Its hard to imagine that they could zoom in that close during game play and increase detail to that degree without making the detail changes extremely obvious.

Who knows, maybe they have a fantastic LOD system and I'm no expert on it. I did play the first Company of Heroes, but I can't remember that first game being able to zoom in that close and see models that detailed during game play.

Not that it matters, there's a huge difference between those close ups and the one from P-100 and obviously Platinum Games should be able to do much better with a little bit of effort.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Total War series is also an excellent example of good scaling LOD that allows for pretty incredible detail when zoomed in. And this is a game that can push 1000+ units in a single scene.

sh1icpvw.jpg

But, again, PC technology from the ground up. Rome 2 will probably look even better.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I think P-100 has an excellent style and I don't really see why anybody would have a problem with it.

BlackJace

The Total War series is also an excellent example of good scaling LOD that allows for pretty incredible detail when zoomed in. And this is a game that can push 1000+ units in a single scene.

sh1icpvw.jpg

But, again, PC technology from the ground up. Rome 2 will probably look even better.

How is Total War btw? I got Shogun 2 free with my gpu, and still haven't installed it after 6 months :p

EatChildren

How is Total War btw? I got Shogun 2 free with my gpu, and still haven't installed it after 6 months :p

Shogun 2 is excellent. Rights a lot of Empire's wrongs, thanks to downscaling the campaign size. Still has a few of the typical Total War quirks, but works a lot better than the last two iterations. A return to form for the franchise, in my opinion.

Rome 2 is getting announced next month, and I will keep longing for Medieval 3.

BlackJace

Shogun 2 is excellent. Rights a lot of Empire's wrongs, thanks to downscaling the campaign size. Still has a few of the typical Total War quirks, but works a lot better than the last two iterations. A return to form for the franchise, in my opinion.

Rome 2 is getting announced next month, and I will keep longing for Medieval 3.

Ah thanks. Medieval sounds like I would enjoy the units more, but I'll give Shogun a try today.

lednerg

All the gameplay footage I've seen of P-100 either had the camera far away from the action or up close to detailed hero characters. The only time I noticed low-poly NPCs was during the opening of that one trailer. On that same note, the only time we see noticeably low-res ground textures in Pikmin is when the camera is up close to new Pikmin that are being introduced. In both cases, we have people taking selective screen grabs of these scenes as if they are representative of the games as a whole, followed by hyperbole-laden posts about how they are so disappointed with or 'worried' about the Wii U.

jwj442

I imagine people at the main board are in the usual Nintendo hysterics over what Reggie said (I'm not going to bother to read it). He's half right and half wrong.

By any reasonable standards, the Wii U's lineup for launch and the following months is really solid. There are plenty of games that are guaranteed to sell, a Platinum games exclusive, a new FPS IP (and unlike Red Steel it actually looks good) a new Pikmin, etc. Also, people say "Wii had Twilight Princess at launch and Wii U needs a system seller as big" - but that was basically an early port and the Gamecube version was out a month later, and of course 2D Mario sells more than Zelda (why do people always forget what a huge seller NSMB is?).

Reggie is correct that some gamers tend to assume that because a new concept doesn't excite them it's going to flop. And there's a general tendency to always assume the worst about what we don't know regarding the system and interpret everything Nintendo says in the most uncharitable way possible.

But the conference was really bad, and Nintendo can blame themselves for the bad reception of Nintendoland when they presented so badly. And their secrecy policy doesn't do them any favors. I will probably buy one eventually, but at this point they haven't quite convinced me to - I need to know what's coming in the future! Just a couple of brief trailers for mid-late 2013 games would make people feel much better about the Wii U. Nintendo can blame the gamers for expecting too much and always being blind to what the broader market likes and they're partly right, but when they hide everything (maybe even some third-party launch games!) under NDAs it's only natural that people are going to assume the worst.

Does anyone else really love the new timed collecting of the green coins/leaves? Seems like a great way to have people get to difficult spots in the level while keeping the player on their toes and allowing the designer to use more of the level. Seems like a big upgrade over the red coins.

BD1

Banned
But the conference was really bad, and Nintendo can blame themselves for the bad reception of Nintendoland when they presented so badly. And their secrecy policy doesn't do them any favors. I will probably buy one eventually, but at this point they haven't quite convinced me to - I need to know what's coming in the future! Just a couple of brief trailers for mid-late 2013 games would make people feel much better about the Wii U. Nintendo can blame the gamers for expecting too much and always being blind to what the broader market likes and they're partly right, but when they hide everything (maybe even some third-party launch games!) under NDAs it's only natural that people are going to assume the worst.

Pretty much this. I agree with Reggie that the hardcore fan base is never satisfied, but that conference showed almost nothing new outside of Nintendo Land. One little glimpse of Retro's game, or EAD Tokyo's or ANY major AAA game would have shut everyone up.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Pretty much this. I agree with Reggie that the hardcore fan base is never satisfied, but that conference showed almost nothing new outside of Nintendo Land. One little glimpse of Retro's game, or EAD Tokyo's or ANY major AAA game would have shut everyone up.

Or, if they were hellbent on only showing launch window stuff, Nintendo should have made that absolutely clear in the weeks leading up to the conference.

Nintendo was virtually silent for an entire year, and its stock response was always "Wait until E3". It was not unreasonable to expect much more than what was unveiled.

Ala Alba

Does anyone else really love the new timed collecting of the green coins/leaves? Seems like a great way to have people get to difficult spots in the level while keeping the player on their toes and allowing the designer to use more of the level. Seems like a big upgrade over the red coins.

I'm sorry, I guess I must be out of the loop or something, but how is it different than the red coins?

MDX

Or, if they were hellbent on only showing launch window stuff, Nintendo should have made that absolutely clear in the weeks leading up to the conference.

Nintendo was virtually silent for an entire year, and its stock response was always "Wait until E3". It was not unreasonable to expect much more than what was unveiled.

That wouldn't have helped, because we didnt know what surprises were going to be ready for launch. Could have been a Retro title for all we know. Could have been GTAV announced for the WiiU, etc.

Hindsight they say is 20/20.

schuelma

That wouldn't have helped, because we didnt know what surprises were going to be ready for launch. Could have been a Retro title for all we know. Could have been GTAV announced for the WiiU, etc.

Hindsight they say is 20/20.

I think it would have helped. We would not have expected a 2006 or 2010 style blowout.

Christine

EDIT: For what it's worth, I think P-100 has an excellent style and I don't really see why anybody would have a problem with it.

It's not as if P-100 has poor LOD scaling, it appears to have none at all going on. This actually suggests a deliberate aesthetic choice. It wouldn't work everywhere, but I think in this case it has some value because it establishes level of detail as a cue for scale.

OryoN

My original comment:

Nintendo fans are the dumbest strangest...

at this point.. I think we're just bitter

Ummmmmmm...... WHAT?!

I doubt the majority of them were Nintendo fans.

This would have been a good post - but you thought of Nintendo fans, and if you've followed the E3 madness, then you would have noticed that these people weren't Nintendo fans at all.

While owning all 3 systems this gen, I'd consider myself a Nintendo fan. So I'm in no way bitter. I guess I should have made that clear, sorry for the misunderstanding Alistair, or anyone else.

It seems I caused a bit of confusion, so let me clarify some more.

I opened my post referring to some Nintendo fans, not all, or even most. Just some! The only reason I said "presumably Nintendo fans" was the fact that I(or anyone else) don't know people's hearts or state of mind. But based on their posts, oppenly stated perferences, and/or anticipation for Nintendo products, it's fair to say they are. I've seen the negative reactions such people had(whether initially or ongoing) to PP-100's visuals. That pic played a big roll, which was quite silly since it was being isolated from the rest of the beautifully stylized game. I didn't make that up, imagine it, nor am I referring to folk who could care less about Nintendo. I also didn't say all Nintendo fans, in regards to that specific matter.

In any event, it appears that it's my last comment that caused a bit of a stir. While the whole PP-100 thing was just one example, that comment It was more of an attack to the overall knee-jerk reactions that often come from Nintendo fans during these information-explosions times. I'm well aware of others "parties" involved, but that was my current focus. If anyone took in a manner that was overly offensive, then my appologies for that.

Being that I consider myself a Nintendo fan, I obviously wouldn't want my comment to be taken as: "Hey, every Nintendo fan is guilty of doing this and that"

Rather, I was thinking more along the lines of: "Yup, it's this easy for others to have this perception of Nintendo fans."

My fault for putting that line of frustration so bluntly out there with little explanation.
I hope I clarified enough, I don't want to reply again... I'm over my daily typing budget. :D

MDX

I think it would have helped. We would not have expected a 2006 or 2010 style blowout.

There is a philosophy of keeping your fans hungry. Too much info, they get bored and their attention will stray. Give them a taste, and they will hang on for more.

You know very well that Nintendo has had a policy of not revealing games that are
too far out from launch. They tend to reveal & focus on titles that are no more than 6 months from launch.

Nintendo has also shown us that they are interested in providing their own platform, called Nintendo Direct, to be a source of information. I suspect it is designed with the WiiU in mind. Getting these updates right on your gamepad.

schuelma

There is a philosophy of keeping your fans hungry. Too much info, they get bored and their attention will stray. Give them a taste, and they will hang on for more.

You know very well that Nintendo has had a policy of not revealing games that are
too far out from launch. They tend to reveal & focus on titles that are no more than 6 months from launch.

Nintendo has also shown us that they are interested in providing their own platform, called Nintendo Direct, to be a source of information. I suspect it is designed with the WiiU in mind. Getting these updates right on your gamepad.

I realize all of this. But I honestly think a platform launch is a different beast, especially given the circumstances the Wii U is in- kind of straddling 2 generations.

Banned
I think that this can also be applied to people who have been gaming since before 3D came about. To me, an NES game still has the capacity to entertain and wow me, and I don't look at them comparatively. Most people who profess to be gamers aren't capable of that.

Video games are one of the only forms of entertainment media in existence where the focus on the craft is measured in such a slanted way. I don't watch the Flintstones and think "man, this is garbage, look at that terrible animation!"

Part of the reason Nintendo has the fans that they do is they build things that stand the test of time, which is what other media strives to do with (almost) everything they make. NES games still hold up because the limitation of the medium meant you were REQUIRED to include things that drew people back into the experience and had lasting appeal. It's an example that should be followed more.
Exactly. My little cousins laugh at nes and SNES games because they were only 6 when the PS3 and 360 came out. They have no appreciation for old school games And write them off right away because "lol the Grafix!". Most of the gamers here are old enough to remember the NES or played it at some time. The teenagers of today who buy the dudebro games have no appreciation for 2D games or sprite based games. Granted, this doesn't apply to all of them but still....sad to see.

It's like today's kids watching the original three star wars films and hating on them because of cheesy special effects, not knowing those effects changed the industry for their time.

Sigh....

japtor

So I started reading that Microsoft leaked document... and I left more confused than I already was =/
If the tech and gamer world loves it while normal people are confused by it...it has a decent chance of bombing.
Exactly. My little cousins laugh at nes and SNES games because they were only 6 when the PS3 and 360 came out. They have no appreciation for old school games And write them off right away because "lol the Grafix!". Most of the gamers here are old enough to remember the NES or played it at some time. The teenagers of today who buy the dudebro games have no appreciation for 2D games or sprite based games. Granted, this doesn't apply to all of them but still....sad to see.

It's like today's kids watching the original three star wars films and hating on them because of cheesy special effects, not knowing those effects changed the industry for their time.

Sigh....
You have yourself and their parents to blame! My nephew watched the original Star Wars films early on and I introduced him to a lot of older games, with the help of Virtual Console on Wii actually. Hell we were playing River City Ransom last time he was over.

It's never fun delivering bad news

So I'm going to make it fun

Guess what bad news about the Wii U I heard today and, provided you want it, you get a Steam code for Bastion! If you don't want it, it will go to the next person that guessed correctly, etc.

A big publisher cancelled an unannounced game for the Wii U. Guess the publisher and the reason and you win!

schuelma

Guess what bad news about the Wii U I heard today and, provided you want it, you get a Steam code for Bastion! If you don't want it, it will go to the next person that guessed correctly, etc.

A big publisher cancelled an unannounced game for the Wii U. Guess the publisher and the reason and you win!

Do you ever have any good Wii U news?

I was going to guess Sega cancelled a Sonic game, but I couldn't think of a good reason.

Edit- I think Firestorm is on to something. THQ cancelled Homefront 2 because Wii U is for kiddies.

radcliff

Konami, because its Konami on a Nintendo console

TriGen

Konami, because it wanted to create something "unique" that could take advantage of the Wii U, in other words they want to wait and see how it sells.

Sega cause they're going digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom