• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This isn't very fun :( Maybe some day Alberto will make us guess at a huge new Wii U exclusive.

schuelma

Western third party.

Was multi-platform.

Pretty good reason it hasn't been announced yet.

Was not cancelled for technical reasons.

Hmm...

I doubt it would be Ubisoft, though it is certainly possible.

Activision..CoD and Skylanders are just no brainers.

EA?

TriGen

Activision because they don't like Nintendo's online filtering system. People should be allowed to speak/post there minds while playing CoD!

schuelma

I guessed EA twice! Ha ha!

The reason is what has me stumped, honestly. Bean counters don't think there is an audience? (I assume its Dead Space 3 or something like that).

I guessed EA twice! Ha ha!

The reason is what has me stumped, honestly. Bean counters don't think there is an audience? (I assume its Dead Space 3 or something like that).

Schulema wins.

A PS4/720/PC project was cancelled before it even got to the realm of "Can we do this with the tech?" Amid worries about stock, they're reconsidering where really expensive projects go.

It was being made on Frostbite, however, which has been successfully ported to the Wii U.

Should I PM you your Bastion code?

TriGen

Alright, gonna narrow it down further.

It was EA.

Reason has not been said. Guess it to win Bastion!

They felt like Nintendo wasn't being fair to third-parties and didn't want to go up against Nintendo's games. Their plans didn't conicide well with the timing of the Wii U's launch release date. They didn't like the idea of digital download day 1.

schuelma

Schulema wins.

A PS4/720/PC project was cancelled before it even got to the realm of "Can we do this with the tech?" Amid worries about stock, they're reconsidering where really expensive projects go.

It was being made on Frostbite, however, which has been successfully ported to the Wii U.

Sure, thanks a lot.

Does not bode well for future support.

TriGen

Schulema wins.

Ah so it got canned because they simply didn't have faith in the Wii U, not a good sign.

AniHawk

Schulema wins.

yeah so publishers are still taking a wait and see approach. not much has changed in the last 5 months, i see.

with ea leading the way, others will quickly follow. funny- i thought they were itching for a new stream of revenue last gen. although to be fair, nintendo hasn't given anyone a whole lot of reason to have faith in them recently.

Instro

Schulema wins.

So the whole project was canned, or just the WiiU version?

AJSousuke

Ah so it got canned because they simply didn't have faith in the Wii U, not a good sign.

It sounds more as they had no faith in the project itself.

Am i reading it wrong?

"A PS4/720/PC project was cancelled before it even got to the realm of "Can we do this with the tech?" Amid worries about stock, they're reconsidering where really expensive projects go."

Is it referring to PS4/720 tech or the Wii U?

Edit: oh thats a shame :(

schuelma

yeah so publishers are still taking a wait and see approach. not much has changed in the last 5 months, i see.

with ea leading the way, others will quickly follow. funny- i thought they were itching for a new stream of revenue last gen. although to be fair, nintendo hasn't given anyone a whole lot of reason to have faith in them recently.

Just going through the major Western 3rd parties, only Ubisoft seems somewhat on board, and its not like they are a sure bet for the next few years given that Watch Dogs isn't even a sure thing for the system.

Nintendo *might* do ok with Japanese 3rd parties, but right now there isn't much evidence to support that proposition either.

AniHawk

It sounds more as they had no faith in the project itself.

Am i reading it wrong?

"A PS4/720/PC project was cancelled before it even got to the realm of "Can we do this with the tech?" Amid worries about stock, they're reconsidering where really expensive projects go."

Is it referring to PS4/720 tech or the Wii U?

wii u

TriGen

So the whole project was canned, or just the WiiU version?

Just the Wii U, I think. Earlier he said "was" multi-platform, and that confuses me because that implies it's not just gone from Nintendo but one of the other consoles as well, so is it MS exclusive now?

schuelma

So EA and probably others have given up on the system 5 months before they have any indication of its success.

TriGen

So EA and probably others have given up on the system 5 months before they have any indication of its success.

Yep, I would guess EA will give the Wii U it's sports games and CoD and that will be it. Based on the stuff we've heard as far as third-party is concerned it seems the Wii U will likely be just a tad bit better then the Wii, unless Japan saves it.

AniHawk

Just going through the major Western 3rd parties, only Ubisoft seems somewhat on board, and its not like they are a sure bet for the next few years given that Watch Dogs isn't even a sure thing for the system.

Nintendo *might* do ok with Japanese 3rd parties, but right now there isn't much evidence to support that proposition either.

nintendo seems to be banking hard on getting namco bandai and tecmo koei on board. they also have had major support from sega in the past. the only relative holdout recently has been konami, with capcom and square enix supporting the console and handheld sides pretty regularly over the last few years.

ubisoft's really giving a ton of support to the machine. even if/when rayman legends and zombi 2 make it to other consoles, the wii u version will probably be the most strongly advertised (thinking about the rabbids games and how poorly they did on the 360 comparatively). not that it matters for a lot of people, but it's also getting sports connection and rabbids land in addition to other multiplatform games. it's pretty substantial.

but this is the sort of thing i was concerned about. if nintendo's going to essentially have a n64 in terms of support, then i will probably sit it out for a while. in the past, i would regularly get third party games on the ps2 just because it was the most affordable option. if wii u games were priced cheaper than their other-console counterparts, i could see myself doing the same thing. and i just don't see the wii u getting the same amount of third party exclusives the wii got this gen. it's getting too tough to get those sort of things alone to a console.

adroit

I hope at least this will mean Nintendo will be more likely to bring good Japanese games to the US. I hope we never have to kick them in the balls again to get games like Xenoblade. That was ridiculous.

schuelma

nintendo seems to be banking hard on getting namco bandai and tecmo koei on board. they also have had major support from sega in the past. the only relative holdout recently has been konami, with capcom and square enix supporting the console and handheld sides pretty regularly over the last few years.

ubisoft's really giving a ton of support to the machine. even if/when rayman legends and zombi 2 make it to other consoles, the wii u version will probably be the most strongly advertised (thinking about the rabbids games and how poorly they did on the 360 comparatively). not that it matters for a lot of people, but it's also getting sports connection and rabbids land in addition to other multiplatform games. it's pretty substantial.

but this is the sort of thing i was concerned about. if nintendo's going to essentially have a n64 in terms of support, then i will probably sit it out for a while. in the past, i would regularly get third party games on the ps2 just because it was the most affordable option. if wii u games were priced cheaper than their other-console counterparts, i could see myself doing the same thing. and i just don't see the wii u getting the same amount of third party exclusives the wii got this gen. it's getting too tough to get those sort of things alone to a console.

Yeah the whole picture is very murky right now. I'll be very interested to see what SE and Capcom do with their next gen high profile stuff. I feel like logically Wii U should see strong Japanese support, but right now nothing much has been announced.

The West is basically a lost cause already. I'll be happy if they deliver a non gimped FIFA.

AzaK

Just the Wii U version.

Umm, so this is a PC/720/PS4 title that was also being considered for Wii U but now only the Wii U version is cancelled and the others are still in production? So, they cancelled the version for a console that will exist, but not for the two consoles that we know nothing about yet? It wasn't a tech issue, so are they actually concerned that the Wii U won't do too well?

Well I guess this is EA's "unprecedented partnership".

Yeah the whole picture is very murky right now. I'll be very interested to see what SE and Capcom do with their next gen high profile stuff. I feel like logically Wii U should see strong Japanese support, but right now nothing much has been announced.

The West is basically a lost cause already. I'll be happy if they deliver a non gimped FIFA.
If the West is a lost cause, it's going to be REAL hard for me to justify a purchase. Those are the games I like the most apart from Zelda and Metroid.

^ AND are appear to have to much faith for the success of PS4/720
Yeah I'd like to know the reason for cancellation because this does not bode well if they're ignoring Wii U in favour of PS4/720. Maybe NEXT-NEXT-GEN Nintendo will finally realise they need to get some hardcore shit in their box to get the Western games - HAHA, yeah right.

Effect

Not a good sign but can't say I'm at all surprised. Japanese support is what the Wii U will likely have. That's what I'm betting on going forward. How good even that is tough is another big question in the air. Western support will be poor, nothing Nintendo has shown has convinced me that won't be the case. Even if the Wii U does well at launch western support is likely to be poor unless things like ZombiU, Batman, Assassin's Creed, and Mass Effect sell extremely well and are THE reasons for its success. That isn't going to happen. Once they see the success of Sing, New Super Mario Bros. U, and others deemed "casual" I bet we see even more of this. The Wii U can't simply be successful. How it ends up being successful is VERY important.

schuelma

If the West is a lost cause, it's going to be REAL hard for me to justify a purchase. Those are the games I like the most apart from Zelda and Metroid.

I'm actually not that into a lot of the Western stuff. But if Japanese support is as poor as with the Wii, I might be out.

Banned
The only EA games I buy are Fifa, NHL, and mass effect. Mass effect I get for PC, but I want console experiences because of online and friends lists for NHL and FIFA. As long as I get the sports games I'm happy. But this is dire news for western third party support indeed. Just last year EA was creaming their pants about the wii u and now they are avoiding it like the plague (the money hungry EA doesn't want another revenue stream?). Wtf happened during this past year? Did EA not get origin on the Wii U and throw a hissy fit!?

schuelma

Just last year EA was creaming their pants about the wii u and now they are avoiding it like the plague (the money hungry EA doesn't want another revenue stream?). Wtf happened during this past year? Did EA not get origin on the Wii U and throw a hissy fit!?

Something definitely seems to have changed since last E3. Or Nintendo and EA were completely full of shit last year. Which is definitely possible.

Terrell

First of all, I called this long long ago. We will be seeing an interesting East-West schism that will characterize the next generation.

Sony is focusing all its internal efforts on games that primarily appeal to the West and are soon losing Ueda, the only developer they still had that still appealed to Japan outside of Polyphony Digital. Japanese developers aren't blind to this, and you see it in the fact that Japan doesn't have that much in the pipeline to offer the Vita catalog to prop it up. The only ones who are, Kojima and Inafune, have boners for the Western way of making games, so essentially no surprises there.

It's a foregone conclusion that Microsoft will fail in Japan and they aren't blind to this either, pulling themselves out of Japanese trade shows.

Then we have Nintendo.... gains the support of Platinum Games, working with Namco Bandai and Tecmo Koei and a near absolute SILENCE about ANYTHING coming from Japan for home consoles in 2013. All of the forward momentum in Japan is focused entirely upon Nintendo. I feel like Japanese developers are looking at Nintendo as the only company that still gives a damn about their industry.

Couple all of this with a reduced but still VERY apparent disparity in graphics and it just totals up to one thing: Japan will forget Sony (and thus Microsoft by extension) and throw all their chips in with the company that has success in all territories and supports their industry.

Effect

Maybe what Nintendo showed them originally is really different from what they are planning to put out. As a result they don't have the faith and excitement they once had (if that was ever really true in the first place). Especially now that they are talking with Sony and Microsoft about their new systems and they're impressing them more.

They do have to think about the audience that will buy their games. Sure Nintendo fans would be open to some games. Maybe Sony/Microsoft are saying that it might be easier to pull those fans over to buy those games on their systems then for Nintendo to pull Sony/Microsoft fans over to buy those 3rd party games on the Wii U. Making a Wii U version of a game kinda worthless at the moment until proven otherwise. Like I said before. Launch will have to be a success on the backs of the ports, AC3, ZombiU, Darksiders 2, and even Project P-100 to turn western developers around.

schuelma

All of the forward momentum in Japan is focused entirely upon Nintendo. I feel like Japanese developers are looking at Nintendo as the only company that still gives a damn about their industry.

Couple all of this with a reduced but still VERY apparent disparity in graphics and it just totals up to one thing: Japan will forget Sony (and thus Microsoft by extension) and throw all their chips in with the company that has success in all territories and supports their industry.

I suspect you are being way too optimistic. For mid-tier publishers and those really focused on Japan, maybe (though honestly I think 3DS is going to be huge competition), but Japan still really wants to penetrate the West so I suspect Capcom, SE, and Konami will be heavily geared towards the Western market. Now, I would hope Wii U would be included in those plans, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom