• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Rubixcuba

Banned
So for anyone else who has Splinter Cell Blacklist, is there any online community at all?
I'm based in Australia and have not encountered any players online to do coop/versus at all :/

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There's no one online in Splinter Cell because for more than a month (I think) after launch the online didn't work properly. They patched it in the end, but it was too late.

cacildo

There's no one online in Splinter Cell because for more than a month (I think) after launch the online didn't work properly. They patched it in the end, but it was too late.

If they put the game at R$19.99 the online servers get at least 10.000 new players in one day.

(i just saw the game at $50, here in brasil. Its almost a miracle - in brasilian game prices terms. Im not gonna buy it because its not my kind of game. But i COULD buy it for $19.99 on the eshop)

kunonabi

Ok i'm not a Sonic fan at all but Sonic Boom looks like years better then Sonic Lost World, and with it being made by the former Naughty Dog platformer makers I bet it will be a lot better

eh, I don't care for any of Naughty Dog's platformers and I thought was Lost World was pretty underrated myself. I'm most likely not going to get Sonic Boom.

onilink88

Somewhat related to the thread:

IGN had a Game Scoop! special on thirty big RPGs being released this year. In it, they mention X, but make two grievous errors- errors you wouldn't expect from a major gaming media site like theirs. First, they call Monolith a second party developer. It's been almost seven years since Nintendo bought Monolith, and they still don't know they're first party? When there are faceless internet nobodies that possess such cursory knowledge, and you don't, I think there's a problem somewhere.

Secondly, they say Monolith wants to make a game like Fallout, but this one isn't entirely their fault. Two years ago, andriasang posted a summary translation of one of Sugiura's planner interviews, and in it were some of the developers technical goals for X. They say that they wanted to surprise fans and show that Japanese technology didn't lose out to the West's and used Bethesda's Fallout as an example for said tech. Now, I don't remember who it was, but some sensationalist jackass decided to take the quote out of context and frame a story that stated that Monolith wanted its games to be like those of western RPG developers, and people have been running with that impression ever since.

I would think that a site in IGN's position would be arsed to check the veracity of what they say, but... here we are. I guess that's expecting too much.

Muzy72

Banned
I think you're taking this a bit too seriously lol. It's a podcast, they don't really have time to look up the exact facts. Hell, there's still people on here who think Monolith Soft is a second party.

Riki

IGN hasn't been a good website for many many years. Especially for Nintendo related stuff.
They don't do research. They rarely get any exclusives. They just don't care. Without Matt and Boz, they're nothing.

I think you're taking this a bit too seriously lol. It's a podcast, they don't really have time to look up the exact facts. Hell, there's still people on here who think Monolith Soft is a second party.

There are still people that think Namco owns them...

onilink88

It's a podcast, they don't really have time to look up the exact facts.

I'm not berating them for not being in the know about in-depth stuff. This is, like I said, cursory knowledge. Shit they had seven and two years respectively to get sorted. There's no excuse for this.

Hell, there's still people on here who think Monolith Soft is a second party.

And I find that to be only slightly less egregious.

IGN hasn't been a good website for many many years. Especially for Nintendo related stuff.
They don't do research. They rarely get any exclusives. They just don't care. Without Matt and Boz, they're nothing.

In the case of X, though, it's not just IGN that doesn't care. wsippel made a thread about how X was getting ignored by the press (some time during E3 week), and at the time, admittedly, I thought he might've been exaggerating a bit. But now that I've had the time to look around for myself, I can't help but think that he was on the dot. Here, look at this. Spend considerable time commenting on all other Nintendo titles, and when X comes up? "Yeah, yeah, Monster Hunter with mechs looks wonderful."

That was pretty much reflective of the press' attitude towards X at the time (well, it still is, apparently). And later on, when GT did a top ten video of next-gen trailers, X didn't even make the cut; it was beaten out by a Star Wars: Battlefront thirty-five second trailer of nothing and Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry about any of this or anything, but seeing the hypocrisy unfold is fascinating. People criticize Nintendo for relying on its staple franchises too much and not creating enough new IPs, and here we have X, a game with great graphics, is incredibly ambitious, and is outside of the stuff you typically see from Nintendo. But when it's the time to talk about it, token mentions is all it gets, and nobody (outside of us vocals) really seems to give a crap.

prag16

Banned

Yeah, the most significant part of their nosedive with regard to Nintendo stuff definitely coincided with Casamassina leaving.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Love for the Wii U to get some kind of Rally Racer even if that means it would be a downloadable title.

Get the Sega Rally team or Codemasters to do something.

PS: Still like IGN's NVC podcast. Not sure about the actual site though.

The problem is, people don't know much about X at all. I think the segment was perfectly fine. They had nothing but good things to say and they seem really excited for it.

Dropping in to say that if you didn't know already, the developer of the Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures video game was...

Monkey Bar Games.

Same folks behind the HD version of Dreamworks Turbo, Madagascar 3, The live action Yogi Bear game on Wii, Despicable Me The Video Game, a few Ben 10 games, etc. This is their first game for Namco Bandai specifically. The team is (get ready for this)...

Monkey Bar Games is owned by Vicious Cycle who is owned by D3 Publisher who is now owned by Namco Bandai Games. Jeez.

jmizzal

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=765752

"A new title for Wii U is going to be announced sometime in the near future, according to a tease in the latest issue of Official Nintendo Magazine.

The April issue will apparently cover an unannounced title for Wii U, and in an effort to narrow the spectrum of speculation, the magazine specifies that it isn't a new F-Zero or Star Fox. The tease is as follows: "OOOOOH! New Wii U game! (And no, it isn’t F-Zero or Star Fox)."

For people who havent seen the thread, another new game announcement coming, well they said its not Sonic Boom too.

Im sure we will see what it is in a Nintendo Direct before the Mag comes out. The fact that they ruled out two 1st party games makes me think its a 1st party game.

onilink88

The problem is, people don't know much about X at all.

We might not know any specifics about X, but we do know enough to get excited. Enough where it doesn't deserve to get flippantly dismissed as "Monster Hunter with mechs", or worse, no acknowledgement.

I think the segment was perfectly fine. They had nothing but good things to say and they seem really excited for it.

The problem wasn't about what they thought of X there, it was the (mis)information they had on it.

Riki

I'm not berating them for not being in the know about in-depth stuff. This is, like I said, cursory knowledge. Shit they had seven and two years respectively to get sorted. There's no excuse for this.

And I find that to be only slightly less egregious.

In the case of X, though, it's not just IGN that doesn't care. wsippel made a thread about how X was getting ignored by the press (some time during E3 week), and at the time, admittedly, I thought he might've been exaggerating a bit. But now that I've had the time to look around for myself, I can't help but think that he was on the dot. Here, look at this. Spend considerable time commenting on all other Nintendo titles, and when X comes up? "Yeah, yeah, Monster Hunter with mechs looks wonderful."

That was pretty much reflective of the press' attitude towards X at the time (well, it still is, apparently). And later on, when GT did a top ten video of next-gen trailers, X didn't even make the cut; it was beaten out by a Star Wars: Battlefront thirty-five second trailer of nothing and Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry about any of this or anything, but seeing the hypocrisy unfold is fascinating. People criticize Nintendo for relying on its staple franchises too much and not creating enough new IPs, and here we have X, a game with great graphics, is incredibly ambitious, and is outside of the stuff you typically see from Nintendo. But when it's the time to talk about it, token mentions is all it gets, and nobody (outside of us vocals) really seems to give a crap.

Oh, there's definitely a ton of hypocrisy when it comes to people's perception on Nintendo. I don't deny that. I've just kind of grown numb to it all.
But IGN in particular I have no problem saying are pretty much shit these days. They're worthless as a video game coverage site. GoNintendo does a better job. Like in the video you posted. I don't care that some small time YouTubers (which is basically what GR is) are idiots (most are). But IGN is a huge company and gets paid to know these things. And they just don't. They don't know the most basic of information for anything, especially when it comes to Nintendo.

I just really want a new, long, trailer for this game. I think then we do need a proper hype/discussion thread for the game (instead of post filling here).
There's already so much we're trying to figure out from two little trailers that it's crazy.

onilink88

I just really want a new, long, trailer for this game. I think then we do need a proper hype/discussion thread for the game (instead of post filling here).
There's already so much we're trying to figure out from two little trailers that it's crazy.

It won't be until E3 that the game'll be fully unveiled. And if we're lucky to see more of it between now and then, it'll be in the form of another teaser.

Riki

It won't be until E3 that the game'll be fully unveiled. And if we're lucky to see more of it between now and then, it'll be in the form of another teaser.

I'll take another teaser. I really hate waiting for E3 for game info. It's always a let down.

freakzilla3000

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=765752

"A new title for Wii U is going to be announced sometime in the near future, according to a tease in the latest issue of Official Nintendo Magazine.

The April issue will apparently cover an unannounced title for Wii U, and in an effort to narrow the spectrum of speculation, the magazine specifies that it isn't a new F-Zero or Star Fox. The tease is as follows: "OOOOOH! New Wii U game! (And no, it isn’t F-Zero or Star Fox)."

For people who havent seen the thread, another new game announcement coming, well they said its not Sonic Boom too.

Im sure we will see what it is in a Nintendo Direct before the Mag comes out. The fact that they ruled out two 1st party games makes me think its a 1st party game.

I heard it's an indie title

Mesoian

Somewhat related to the thread:

IGN had a Game Scoop! special on thirty big RPGs being released this year. In it, they mention X, but make two grievous errors- errors you wouldn't expect from a major gaming media site like theirs. First, they call Monolith a second party developer. It's been almost seven years since Nintendo bought Monolith, and they still don't know they're first party? When there are faceless internet nobodies that possess such cursory knowledge, and you don't, I think there's a problem somewhere.

This is mostly due to the fact that there are very few games with Monolith's name used on the forefront. Other than Xenoblade and X Zone, they haven't helmed very many games on their own, their best work ending up in coproduction with EAD. Can't blame people for forgetting that they're still around, at face value, it looks like they're doing next to nothing, especially when they're so tightlipped about their future projects.

But yeah, don't worry about it too much.

We might not know any specifics about X, but we do know enough to get excited. Enough where it doesn't deserve to get flippantly dismissed as "Monster Hunter with mechs", or worse, no acknowledgement

I don't think that's the case at all. There's enough reason to be leery of what's out there about X now, much in the same way that there's reason to be leery of the FF15 footage. Those trailers are touting some lofty shit that will be a BIG challenge for the developers, given their platform of choice. And it only gets weirder the longer they put off showing anything new.
Dropping in to say that if you didn't know already, the developer of the Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures video game was...

Monkey Bar Games.

Same folks behind the HD version of Dreamworks Turbo, Madagascar 3, The live action Yogi Bear game on Wii, Despicable Me The Video Game, a few Ben 10 games, etc. This is their first game for Namco Bandai specifically. The team is (get ready for this)...

Monkey Bar Games is owned by Vicious Cycle who is owned by D3 Publisher who is now owned by Namco Bandai Games. Jeez.

That sounds about right. That game, from an outside prospective, seems to be of that calibur. Namco can continue not really caring about Pacman.

jmizzal

What? Why??

It seems they combined the teams and had the dedicated WiiU team help with the other versions.

They had a PC/PS4/Xbone team
360/PS3 team
and a WiiU team

So WiiU version will sale less anyways so it was got the short end of the stick, i'm just glad its no canceled

It seems they combined the teams and had the dedicated WiiU team help with the other versions.

360/PS3 team
and a WiiU team

So WiiU version will sale less anyways so it was got the short end of the stick, i'm just glad its no canceled

I must have missed that info.

360/PS3 team
and a WiiU team

Will probably result in a cancellation TBH. "Delay" the game so nobody notices when they cancel it months later. It's already happened to plenty of Wii U games: Metro Last Light, Ghost Recon Online, Crysis 3, Aliens Colonial Marines, etc.

jmizzal

Will probably result in a cancellation TBH. "Delay" the game so nobody notices when they cancel it months later. It's already happened to plenty of Wii U games: Metro Last Light, Ghost Recon Online, Crysis 3, Aliens Colonial Marines, etc.

Crysis 3 was never announced for WiiU
Metro got canned before WiiU came out and THQ went under
ACM was a mess and the game shouldve never came out on anything
GRO is still in beta it may or may not be canceled

If they were gonna cancel Watch Dogs WiiU they would do it now during the quarterly meeting, this is when they delayed Rayman on WiiU last year.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I thought this thread will stay clear of "conspiracy theory". Why would Ubisoft hide the cancellation if it's already decided? It's not like they care for the Wii U owners too much, no? When they delayed Rayman Legends they didn't hide the reason although they could have.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I thought this thread will stay clear of "conspiracy theory". Why would Ubisoft hide the cancellation if it's already decided? It's not like they care for the Wii U owners too much, no? When they delayed Rayman Legends they didn't hide the reason although they could have.

Personally I'm just keeping my hopes really low. If they do release Watch Dogs later then, I can be pleasantly surprised for once =P....

Looking at how Lego Movie on the Wii U is selling on Amazon so far, I think we'll keep getting Lego games on Wii U. I think having Lego City Undercover as an exclusive and a proper release of every Lego game so far on Wii U seems to help. Currently the rankings on Amazon US's top 100 games (which I realize are subjective and change frequently) are #11 (360), #41 (Wii U), #46 (3DS), #90 (PS3), #107 (XB1), #154 (PS4), and #856 (PSV).

Oddduck

I'm expecting the Wii U version to be a rushed, shitty port of the 360/PS3 version to be honest. With Wii U's current sales, I'm not hopeful that Ubisoft will invest a ton of resources into the Wii U version.

DVCY201

I'm expecting the Wii U version to be a rushed, shitty port of the 360/PS3 version to be honest. With Wii U's current sales, I'm not hopeful that Ubisoft will invest a ton of resources into the Wii U version.

When I heard that it was going to be delayed, this was my immediate fear. Watch_Dogs actually had a Wii U team developing alongside the game, whereas now they've folded the team and the game will be pushed out later. That to me immediately tells me to expect worse textures and framerate, just like AC3 and AC4.

Heck even for AC4 they only set aside 15 people to do it.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
When I heard that it was going to be delayed, this was my immediate fear. Watch_Dogs actually had a Wii U team developing alongside the game, whereas now they've folded the team and the game will be pushed out later. That to me immediately tells me to expect worse textures and framerate, just like AC3 and AC4.

Heck even for AC4 they only set aside 15 people to do it.

Only 15 people for AC4? In all honesty, I find ACIV on Wii U pretty enjoyable and generally good, so those 15 people did a pretty good job porting it. Sure there are framerate drops, but I'm not sure I saw terrible textures, at least nothing jarring. (Digital Foundry even said AC3 was pretty much on par on Wii U to the 360 & PS3 versions, but only complained about AC4).

MDX

Current sales? Its still the top selling current gen console.
You can expect sales spikes with at least three major titles this year and next
Xmas. Sales is not the issue here.

DVCY201

Only 15 people for AC4? In all honesty, I find ACIV on Wii U pretty enjoyable and generally good, so those 15 people did a pretty good job porting it. Sure there are framerate drops, but I'm not sure I saw terrible textures, at least nothing jarring. (Digital Foundry even said AC3 was pretty much on par on Wii U to the 360 & PS3 versions, but only complained about AC4).

15 people, yes. They did impressive work in the time allotted, which is why it's so frustrating. If they just maybe had even 5 more people, they could've probably polished it up more. As for the textures, I thought AC4 had a few rough spots but that's about it really. I think the framerate was the worst offender, consistently staying in the low 20's. For Assassin's Creed I can handle that, but I certainly don't want it to become the norm for ports.

Effect

Assassin's Creed 3 was the same way. For the longest time the online didn't work until one day it did but by them the population that it could have had disappeared.

There is a problem with Assassin's Creed 4 as well. The issue with that was if you had created a Uplay account on the system prior to the hacking attempt you were asked to reset your password via computer. You got a email about it. The problem is there is no way of resetting your password on the Wii U. So if you log into the Uplay site and change it you now have two conflicting logins. You have to contact Ubisoft support to have your account delinked from your Wii U because it contained the old password if you reset it per their request. Without a properly linked Uplay account you are stuck in "Limited Mode" when it comes to AC4's online multiplayer and features. You can't access matchmaking as a result. Only custom games I think. So unless someone knows to do this or even get curious enough to delink the account thinking it would work (which was me at the time) then you were out of luck. Only those that had Uplay accounts setup "recently" wouldn't have had any issues. The kicker is the Ubisoft support didn't know this was the problem judging by the comments they left on their forums and what people said after contacting Ubisoft.

Top Bottom