• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
jarosh said:
you're definitely right. i posted this like 30 pages ago:

wiitime.gif
holy crap :lol

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
How can people in their positions be so ****ing clueless about something so important and fundamental, region-locking? If they don't know, as embarrassing as it is, they should say 'we don't ****ing know'. Are the memoes tough to read or something? You don't confirm its region-free if that may not be the case. Holy.

TiVo

So is the Wii an permanent display/demo @ the World store? If so I am hopping on a greyhound this weekend. God I miss NY. Everywhere else is like the South compared to NYC.

jarosh

Slurpy said:
How can people in their positions be so ****ing clueless about something so important and fundamental, region-locking? If they don't know, as embarrassing as it is, they should say 'we don't ****ing know'. Are the memoes tough to read or something? You don't confirm its region-free if that may not be the case. Holy.
skilletrewind.gif

123rl

Does anyone know if a European Wii will support 480p? The European console won't have a component/composite cable but I guess that could be sold separately? Has there been anything said about 480p support for PAL-land?

dreamkats

I just have few time, and few questions about wii (I'm at college right now, and won't get a real connection for something like a week):

wtf with wii not being region free after all?

I want to import an US version, but I live in Europe, will there be any problems with WiiConnect24?

and did Nintendo mention anything about accessories being region free?

Last question: did Nintendo mention anything today about NGC Twilight Princess?

I guess Iwata showing up at the Japanese and European Wii events is as close as we get in gaming to Phil Collins playing both the UK and US venues of Live Aid in one day.

perplexcity said:
Enterprising Wii users better be able to ****ing plug in a hard drive from day one or the VC library is going to be pretty pointless to anyone really looking forward to using it.

Yeah yeah, I know 512k will hold plenty of NES games, but if you start throwing a bunch of n64 stuff in there, it won't take too long.
Considering how few N64 games went over 32 megabytes, and how many were under that, and that they could easily store them in compressed form... I imagine by the time you hit a gigabyte you'll be past N64 game 50.

Ford Prefect said:
Consider in-game save files, though.
Heh. Maybe at a hundred SNES game saves we'll approach a megabyte.

Booser said:
The interface looks sweet as hell, although for me thats cancelled out by lack of DVD. Dammit Nintendo why do you do such retarded shit like that? At least they could have had an attachment as an option if you wanted it. I believe that was the original plan.
When this has been discussed before here, haven't people said that the DVD Forum requires a DVD player have a digital audio out? Which Wii hasn't.

Wink said:
Based on? Just curious cause I can't really see how.
Well, with GameCube they sold about 2.4 million across two regions, though that did give Japan since September. Plus Nintendo's current hotness in Japan, PS3's low supply everywhere, and the continent of Europe, 4m seems doable.

TiVo said:
Just think, you haven't even seen the actual Wii Zelda yet.
Imagine the size, scope & graphics of that one.
Ehh, I'm a bit uncertain. I like that Twilight Princess essentialy seems like a GameCube game set to 11. Perhaps a Zelda that's Wii from the start would be designed from the beginning with 30 frames per second in mind, for instance.

Norse said:
For 50 dollars more you get a core 360 that will play dvds out of the box and have graphics and sound that will blow the Wii away. And if MS lowers core to 249..........
Then it still won't have internal storage, motion+pointer+speaker+wireless controller, wifi, a component cable, or a game. Wii and X360 Core are far from apples-to-apples.

Jacobi said:
What happened to "all games ever available on Nintendo consoles" ?
I think that quote went back to Madeupland.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
What the feck are you talking about. That's nonsense. Every game is a tech demo.
But do you consider 100 Marios cancelled? If Sony doesn't release a game that shows a PS3 controller flying around, should we consider that cancelled?

PantherLotus said:
LMAO at these pretend intellectuals waxing about sound business decisions. Only in magical happy videogameland is a hardware manufacturer expected to take a loss.

Imagine this line of thought in any other industry and you'll realize how absurd it is.

Wow. You are insane. Laughing at "pretend intellectuals" when you turn out to be one in the very same post..? Intruiging.

commissar

JoshuaJSlone said:
But do you consider 100 Marios cancelled? If Sony doesn't release a game that shows a PS3 controller flying around, should we consider that cancelled?
Wrong way around - He said every game is a tech demo, not every tech demo is a game.

Aurora

This region-free cockup seems very odd to me.

As others have said, it is huge news to announce that your console will be region-free. It's certainly not something you would confirm without knowing for certain. Furthermore, Kaplan was surprisingly specific with her details regarding the Wii's region-free capabilities; she said that first party games would work across all regions while third party games might or might not work (developers having the choice to implement it or not).

If Kaplan could vaguely be interpreted as mentioning region-free then fair enough -- but her reply made it crystal clear that she thought the Wii was, at least partially, region-free.

Aurora said:

As others have said, it is huge news to announce that your console will be region-free. It's certainly not something you would confirm without knowing for certain. Furthermore, Kaplan was surprisingly specific with her details regarding the Wii's region-free capabilities; she said that first party games would work across all regions while third party games might or might not work (developers having the choice to implement it or not).

If Kaplan could vaguely be interpreted as mentioning region-free then fair enough -- but her reply made it crystal clear that she thought the Wii was, at least partially, region-free.

You're right. Even if kaplan is not the most fiable source at NOA, it is really strange that she did a mistake like this. Better that we wait what Iwata has to say.

123rl said:
Does anyone know if a European Wii will support 480p? The European console won't have a component/composite cable but I guess that could be sold separately? Has there been anything said about 480p support for PAL-land?
So Euroland pays the most AND gets shitty RF leads? Or are NoE stretching themselves to include a composite cable?

Slurpy said:
Yarnton is probably wrong, because everyone knows NoE knows nothing.

Rocked

Aurora said:

One of the two is gonna be getting a bitch slapping.

JoshuaJSlone said:

I'm pretty sure I heard in a Miyamoto quote or something that 100 Marios turned into the Mii character creator/world interface.

Aurora

Kureishima said:
Mario 128 became a variety of things.
Yes. Just to clarify: Miyamoto said that Mario 128 itself wasn't really a game, it was more like a test ground for a number of ideas and elements that have been, and will be, implemented in different projects.

jepense

Rocked said:
One of the two is gonna be getting a bitch slapping.

The speculations will never end! (Even after launch.)

Oh, and lollers at all the people bitching about the price. Don't buy it if it's too expensive, simple as that. IMO, the European price is quite reasonable compared to the American one as it includes tax and warranty.

Rahul

So if you can send stuff to your Wii from your cellphone, such as photos and texts, where do you send them? Does your Wii itself, your Wifi account, your Wiimote or whatnot get its own email address? Do you send it there? How is it going to work exactly?

Scalemail Ted said:
Seriously what happened to METAL SLUG ANTHOLOGY?
I'm glad I bothered to look through this thread a bit....WHAT THE ****!! Another reason for me not to care about getting this system at launch.

Aurora said:
Yes. Just to clarify: Miyamoto said that Mario 128 itself wasn't really a game, it was more like a test ground for a number of ideas and elements that have been, and will be, implemented in different projects.

I like the avatar, man.

jarosh

online play for metroid prime 3?

IGN: How will social networking be handled? Will there be anonymous friend codes like on the DS network, or will users be able to choose recognisable IDs like on Xbox Live?

David Yarnton: More details on that will come out closer to launch. But you will be able to play online, so for example with Metroid you will be able to play against friends online… [editor's note: at this point the Nintendo PR rep steps in to assert that Metroid has not been confirmed for online play].

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732728p2.html

thefro

Probably will be region-free between Japan and US, and not region free between Europe and those markets (since they have those funny TVs that don't display in real resolutions). :lol

SuperPac

Chris Remo said:
Nintendo just told me Wii doesn't come with component cables. Is this old news? I haven't seen it on GAF yet.

I thought CNET were the only people who said it would (and they said to take it with a grain of salt). Anyway, I predict this will be another thing people get crazily upset about that doesn't really matter.

jarosh

Chris Remo said:
Nintendo just told me Wii doesn't come with component cables. Is this old news? I haven't seen it on GAF yet.
CHRIS IS THIS A JOKE I HATE YOU OR I HATE NINTENDO TELL ME NOW

SuperPac said:
...another thing people get crazily upset about that doesn't really matter.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

Top Bottom