• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

I wanna make love to the user interface. I don't think I'll be playing any games on launch day. It looks too much fun. Especially Mii and the skin colors and the Photoshop Wii... Darn it, why'd I stay up. I'm not gonna be able to sleep now.

That photo suite is nuts. Editing, video playback, and slideshows... Man, if they get that going with in-game screenshots, I'm going to photoshop my cat kicking every pokemon's ass.

Jiggy

Okay, just looked at the Miichannel thing. Now that is an awesome feature.

Character creation is undoubtedly my favorite feature that any game can have--it's the only thing that's kept me playing (albeit not buying) junk wrestling games made in the post-No Mercy days, it would have singlehandedly sold me on Soul Calibur 3 if I owned a PS2, and I've played any number of first-person dungeon-crawler RPGs, a genre I can barely stand, specifically because they let me make my own characters.
Time and time again, when Nintendo sends me surveys about any games I bought and registered, I say their franchises are perfect for character creation yet they've dropped the ball--I say there should be custom COs in Advance Wars, a small number of custom characters in Fire Emblem, I say that the custom stats in Mario Golf and Mario Tennis are cool but we need to be able to change the characters' appearance as well, that making my own cars was cool in F-Zero GX but what's the point if they're using the same old pilots, that Animal Crossing had an okay amount of customization but could be better, I say let me at least change a few pieces of clothing on Pokemon trainers, I say maybe it wouldn't be too broken if they let you create a character in Smash Bros. with limited move choices, I basically just harp on every multiplayer series they own for not having this feature.

And now they're implementing it not into a single game, but the console itself, so yeah, I'm just the slightest bit excited. Not enough to buy it for $250 if it's $250 in the US, but excited nonetheless. I can only see good things coming from this.

...Watch me do a 180 and say I'd pay $300 by the time I catch up on everything else I missed in the time it took me to write this. >_>

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
slide72.jpg

slide73.jpg

Jonnyram

Oh wow, they really are trying to put this in the living room...
There's a notice board and a calendar, and there's this example that says "Hi Kei-chan, I've gone out to do some shopping. Be back later."

I guess this is part of the benefit of leaving it on 24 hrs.

God, I am blown away. This is more than I ever expected. Nintendo is doing something Apple can't seem to do. Release a box for under $300 that has all the basic stuff any regular user would need.

Photo editing with the Wiimote looks like so much fun, I can't wait. And I'm guessing there will be simple video editing as well.

$250 for all this? Sold. And if WiiSports USA comes with boxing? F'IN SOLD!

Boards of Canada said:
God, I am blown away. This is more than I ever expected. Nintendo is doing something Apple can't seem to do. Release a box for under $300 that has all the basic stuff any regular user would need.

Photo editing with the Wiimote looks like so much fun, I can't wait. And I'm guessing there will be simple video editing as well.

$250 for all this? Sold. And if WiiSports USA comes with boxing? F'IN SOLD!

I think they would have shown video if it was there - the 512mb memory probably limits them.

In terms of actually seeing the hardware and its interface, this event has rocked–but we should be seeng more software. Hopefully the NA event can do this.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
PHOTO-TORNADO IS SO AWESOME

also, anyone think it's weird how all your VC games are stored right on the main menu? Seems like a VC submenu would be a better idea, with maybe more submenus for each console...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
K - im hardcore, but i can't do it anymore.

I'm out.

Pleasure - seeya'll for the NYC one tomorrow :)

From IGN, new to me:

One of the channels available on Wii is called the "Mii Channel." Here, players can customize avatars by selecting from a variety of face shapes, hair styles, color schemes, and so on. The hook is that these avatars can not only be stored on the console itself, they can also be transfered to the Wii remote itself -- presumably so players can easily access their personalized characters and take them with them when playing against friends.

Top Bottom