• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

Sunski

DefectiveReject said:
Matt's doing live text updates i believe, and its in 57mins.

10:01: Reggie talks about Wii.

10:15: Talking about Virtual Console.

10:25: Footage of some launch titles. GT Pro is cel shaded.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hey guys. I miss anything since 3:10 am? :lol

At least I'm in the right time zone this time...
Anyone know where in NYC it is?
I wanna sneak over, heh.

the ninjas would kill me

steveqq2.jpg

Why are Japanese screens always so low-res? Can't wait for the US media blowout.

NSider

loosus said:
Does Zelda support 4:3 without squeezing? Seems like every 4:3 video I see of it makes Zelda looks squeezed.

The GC version is all 4:3 .. so it's safe to say the Wii version will include the option.

Viddie

I just got the official word from Nintendo UK:

NINTENDO ANNOUNCE LAUNCH DATE AND PRICE FOR JAPAN AND THE AMERICAS

- Affordable System for Gamers, Newcomers and Families -

14th September 2006 - Nintendo will reshape the home entertainment and video game landscape with the launch of its heralded Wii™ home video game console. Wii will go on sale in the Americas on November 19th and Japan on December 2nd - European launch date, price and software line up will be announced at a press conference in London tomorrow (Friday 15th).

Wii will be sold as an affordable, mass-consumer product at an MSRP in the US of just $249.99. The price includes one wireless Wii Remote controller, one Nunchuk™ controller and the groundbreaking collection of five different Wii Sports games on one disc, which anyone can play using simple physical movements, experienced or not.

Every Wii console will include another distinctive feature: a series of on-screen “channels” that make up the Wii Channel Menu, which makes the console approachable and customizable for everyone, from the most avid gamer to people who have never played before. The Wii Channel Menu is the starting point for all of the console’s functions. The “channels” offer a gateway to a rich variety of entertainment options. When connected to a TV, the Wii Channel Menu offers a simple interface letting users pick games to play, get news or weather, upload and send photos or even create playable caricatures of themselves to use in actual games. The variety of options available through the Wii Channel Menu motivates both gamers and non-gamers to turn on Wii’s power every day.

Wii is creating worldwide excitement with its unique control system, an inventive, first-of-its-kind controller whose position can be detected in a 3-D space. The new controller allows users pinpoint target in games or move through the Wii Channel Menu with precision and ease. This intuitive control system will be understood immediately by everyone, regardless of their previous experience with video games. With this one small controller, Wii makes games both easier and more intense than anything previously experienced. For example, in the Wii Sports tennis game players swing the Wii Remote like a racket to hit the ball, as in real life. They can add topspin or slice the ball just by angling their hands and wrist like they would in a real match.

“Wii reinvents games for the devoted player,” says Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “But more importantly, Wii breaks the wall separating players from non-players by delivering the best game experiences for the most affordable price. We believe the next leap is games for the masses – young and old, gamer or non, alone, with a friend or with the whole family.”

Fils-Aime made his remarks in New York, shortly after Nintendo executives in Japan announced Wii will launch there on Dec 2nd priced at 25,000 yen. Both announcements come ahead of a European press conference during which Nintendo will unveil specific detail around the console’s launch in Europe.

Between launch day and Dec. 31, Wii owners across America will enjoy a robust lineup of 30 software titles, with selections for everyone from video game veterans to newcomers. Some top Nintendo launch titles include Wii Sports, a compilation of tennis, baseball, golf and bowling; The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess; and EXCITE TRUCK™. While publishers are free to set their own prices for games, first-party Nintendo titles will have an MSRP of $49.99. Wii’s self-loading media bay also can play the entire library of more than 530 Nintendo GameCube™ titles from day one.

Third-party developers around the world have lined up to provide unprecedented support for Wii, “I believe the Wii will attract new and casual gamers to the world of interactive entertainment,” says Larry Probst, Chairman and CEO, Electronic Arts. “It’s a fun, easy and economical system that will become a bridge to gaming for mainstream audiences. At EA, we are putting more support behind the Wii than any Nintendo hardware launch since the Super NES.”

Additional information about the list of Virtual Console games and the pricing structure will be revealed in the coming weeks.

Snow

Zelda TP will include the option for widescreen over 480p anamorphic. Not sure exactly what you mean by squeezed.

edit: to be clear, the Wii version that is.

MMaRsu

US Wii event
Sitting in a sea of people as they are still crowding in...we listen to blasting techno, and a Wii setup that looks like a living room.

loosus

Banned
NSider said:
The GC version is all 4:3 .. so it's safe to say the Wii version will include the option.
I guess what I'm wondering is if they went the lazy route and made the game natively 16:9 because everyone wanted the Wii to support HDTVs better and made a psuedo 4:3 mode that's just a squeezed version of the 16:9. I really hope not. :\

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
MMaRsu said:
US Wii event
Sitting in a sea of people as they are still crowding in...we listen to blasting techno, and a Wii setup that looks like a living room.

Where ya getting this all from?

John Harker

6:05: Attendees are just starting to filter into the conference space and the show is set to begin soon.

we're not getting video till 12:00 EST? sucks.

Any word on what type of game Forever Blue is? Definitely intrigues me at the moment. Hmm, guess I'll have to wait for the US event for details otherwise.

MasterMFauli said:
So you´re not going to buy a PS3, as well, are you?

I'd say the PS3 price is easier to swallow, being a new product and all.

The Gamecube wasn't worth $250 five years ago, it certainly isn't worth it now.

Viddie said:
I just got the official word from Nintendo UK:

NINTENDO ANNOUNCE LAUNCH DATE AND PRICE FOR JAPAN AND THE AMERICAS

- Affordable System for Gamers, Newcomers and Families -

14th September 2006 - Nintendo will reshape the home entertainment and video game landscape with the launch of its heralded Wii™ home video game console. Wii will go on sale in the Americas on November 19th and Japan on December 2nd - European launch date, price and software line up will be announced at a press conference in London tomorrow (Friday 15th).

Wii will be sold as an affordable, mass-consumer product at an MSRP in the US of just $249.99. The price includes one wireless Wii Remote controller, one Nunchuk™ controller

Dammit. Why bundle a multiplayer-focused title with the system when there's only one controller included?

Gio_CoD

Banned
citrus lump said:

Oooooohhhh, burn!! Look dude, it's relatively simple. If you don't want the Wii, don't buy it. I'm not entirely sure why you're still in a thread full of people psyched about the news that want to talk about it. Go play Burnout 17 on Xbox Live and let us enjoy the news.

Treo360

John Harker said:
Hey guys. I miss anything since 3:10 am? :lol

At least I'm in the right time zone this time...
Anyone know where in NYC it is?
I wanna sneak over, heh.

the ninjas would kill me

I too thought about driving over there, however it's raining here and there's one thing that I hate more than NYC drivers, and that's NYC drivers in the rain.

Damn @ the $249.99 price point a little higher than I expected. So it's $300 with a Quality game. Not bad.

Haleon said:
Oooooohhhh, burn!! Look dude, it's relatively simple. If you don't want the Wii, don't buy it. I'm not entirely sure why you're still in a thread full of people psyched about the news that want to talk about it. Go play Burnout 17 on Xbox Live and let us enjoy the news.

Ok.

And you enjoy playing Mario 42 on your repackaged Gamecube.

John Harker

Wii Sports: 5 game collection the press release says.

So its confirmed.

Boxing and Bowling included.

Polari

citrus lump said:

Which would be why it's priced at $99, wouldn't it?

citrus lump said:

I really don't get this.

PS3 = Large boost in power, marginal boost in control

Wii = Large boost in control, marginal boost in power

One costs USD 600. One costs USD 250.

What else?

Peru

citrus lump said:

Oh, so when you said you would now stop supporting Nintendo after 20 years as a fan... You were lying.

Haleon said:
I agree, exept for the last thing because that's kinda bashing. :)

Top Bottom