• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

Monk

Banned
OMG there are times i cant believe the idiocy of GAF. Seriously is it so hard to wait ONE MORE DAY for the US price.

IMO the perfect price for this system is $230. Unless they are giving a free controller.

acidviper

Banned
Mashing said:
So it's $50 bucks more than poeple expected. Who cares about $50. If you can't afford an extra $50 then you shouldn't be buying video game consoles in the first place. The only problem is the price is out of the impulse buy price of the non-gamers they want to entice. I don't see a non-gamer shelling out that much for a video game console.

Besides, you idiots don't have any idea what the console is capable of so you can't say "but it's not worth it". Chill out. And it's certainly not some "599 US dollars" scale of a mistake. What a bunch of whiny bitches some of you are.

For the PS3 at least I know I am getting at least $600 worth of tek in the machine for my $600. But for Nintendo to charge $250 for $100 worth of technology and $150 worth of hype and Apple-like design is a big fack you to the fans.

If you expect something that costs $100 to be $200 at retail, its not wise to kick someone in the nuts for another 25% cost increase.

Yamauchi

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Can we get updates in here, famitsu is blocked at work.
"任天堂発表会、いよいよスタート。まず同社社長、岩田聡氏が登壇し、ゲーム業界の現状をリポートし、ニンテンドーDSの登場で日本のゲーム市場が据え置き型から携帯型中心に移行したと説明。"

Google goodness:

The nintendo co. concert, more and more start. First same company president, Satoru Iwata did the Noboru platform, present condition of game industry was reported, you explain that the Japanese game market moved to the portable type center from deferred type with appearance of [nintendo] DS.

sp0rsk said:
Can we get updates in here, famitsu is blocked at work.

photo200609140512590a96537d60e191f99d0b963e5c5baf93bry0.jpg

Not a whole lot happening yet.

Ponn

Banned
Eh? Screw that noise. I don't want Wii Sports. $250 for GC Turbo hardware. Waiting for price drop and/or better pack in.

MrNibbles said:
I remember the SNES having an MSRP of 249.99, with a sirprise price drop to 199.99 on/near launch day.
I remember the N64 having an MSRP of 249.99, with a sirprise price drop to 199.99 on/near launch day.
I remember the GCN having an MSRP of 249.99, with a sirprise price drop to 199.99 on/near launch day.

I do NOT think that will happen again, however. Look at what $200 got you back then. Look what it gets you now. Adjusted for inflation from the SNES days, $250 is a steal.

Those consoles had top of the line or near top of the line power when they launched too. This is budget hardware they are launching with.

I like the idea of online browsing. Too bad the Wii won't support HD though. Browsing at low res will be less fun -still good though that they have it.

Hero

250.00 with TWO wii-motes, classic controller, and Wii Sports would justify that price tag.

I guess we're going to wait to see what accessories it's bundled with?

acidviper said:
For the PS3 at least I know I am getting at least $600 worth of tek in the machine for my $600. But for Nintendo to charge $250 for $100 worth of technology and $150 worth of hype and Apple-like design is a big fack you to the fans.

If you expect something that costs $100 to be $200 at retail, its not wise to kick someone in the nuts for another 25% cost increase.

So only Apple can do that and get away with it?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
In a surprise announcement, Nintendo said that it wanted to make Wii a living room centerpiece by shipping the system with features outside of the videogame realm. Wil will include a photo channel, enabling users to display their digital photos through the console. It will also boast regularly updated news and weather channels. In addition, the system will ship with the Opera Web browser, enabling users to connect online.
Christ

JB1981

SaggyMonkey said:
It's not a bad price, considering it's with a game. If it was 199 and you bought a 49.99 game, well... there you are.

Bu-bu-but consumers are being forced to buy something they don't want!

Code:
Sound familiar ... ?

Beezy

Yamauchi said:
"任天堂発表会、いよいよスタート。まず同社社長、岩田聡氏が登壇し、ゲーム業界の現状をリポートし、ニンテンドーDSの登場で日本のゲーム市場が据え置き型から携帯型中心に移行したと説明。"

Google goodness:

The nintendo co. concert, more and more start. First same company president, Satoru Iwata did the Noboru platform, present condition of game industry was reported, you explain that the Japanese game market moved to the portable type center from deferred type with appearance of [nintendo] DS.

Lol wtf? Wii = Noboru platform?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Monk said:
OMG there are times i cant believe the idiocy of GAF. Seriously is it so hard to wait ONE MORE DAY for the US price.

IMO the perfect price for this system is $230. Unless they are giving a free controller.

Its $250...get over it....

Wait so we can view weather channels amd surf the web with wii, but the real question is... Have they given the proper tools to allow 3rd parties to make games online yet?

Wii Sports was one of the best playing Wii titles at E3. The baseball demo was just the thing to get people aquanted with the system. Certainly a better game at training system newbies than some of the more complex ones.

Juice

Just when you think Nintendo had learned.

The reason GameCube failed wasn't the lack of features, it was the half-assed implementation that had too many competing goals. Creativity and imitating the competition simultaneously didn't work.

So now you have to charge more for your console so it can be a half-assed webTv and photo viewer (and not even in HD??) and you expect people to not bitch?

fugimax

People forget that the controller technology was developed in-house and is a complete custom system. The $250 price-tag is to pay for that -- the development and manufacture of non-traditional hardware.

You forget, Nintendo *profits* on their consoles, unlike some other companies.

SuomiDude

acidviper said:

Hahahaha, you think Wii costs only 100$ to make?!? :lol .................. The system is well worth 200$ at least.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Famitsu for sporsk:

"2006/09/14 (Thursday)
The nintendo co. concert, more and more start. First same company president, Satoru Iwata did the Noboru platform, present condition of game industry was reported, you explain that the Japanese game market moved to the portable type center from deferred type with appearance of [nintendo] DS."

ethelred

Juice said:
Just when you think Nintendo had learned.

The reason GameCube failed wasn't the lack of features, it was the half-assed implementation that had too many competing goals. Creativity and imitating the competition simultaneously didn't work.

So now you have to charge more for your console so it can be a half-assed webTv and photo viewer (and not even in HD??) and you expect people to not bitch?

Agreed. :/

acidviper said:

Wi-Fi, Opera, Virtual Console (NES SNES N64), Wii-Mote Technology, Wii Sports...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Does the photo sharing really surprise anyone?

Havent ya seen the Wii's myspace page....?

Pssht, wii're all about community, and sharin' and shit.

Ristamar

If Wii Sports is packaged with the system, I'll be surprised if it doesn't come with 2 wiimotes (though only one nunchaku).

There are hundreds of millions PCs and Macs out there that are much better to browse the web. Flash will probably not be supported.
My kids don't give a s...t about browsing on TV but they sure do if I bring more games home.

PkunkFury

a weather and news cahnnel seems kind of useless when I already get a wheather and news channel on cable TV and I can browse news and weather sites on the internet with the Opera browser. I hope they've come up with something more intersting for games...

Terrell

From IGNWii:

Sony recently announced that it would ready 400,000 PS3s in North America and another 100,000 in Japan for the system's launch. Nintendo said it plans to ship 4 million Wii units worldwide by the end of the year.

I'm sorry, but... even at $250, this is likely to BURY Sony.

ronito

civilstrife said:
I can't believe they're finally going back on their "games only" approach.
Just a strange move...
Agreed. Very strange from Nintendo. I've never bought the whole "Ooooh you can share photos and browse the web and play music with this console!" bit. Yeah thanks, I have a computer for that, and so do all my friends and family. Why would I want to do it from a console?

john tv

VC prices: Famicom 500 yen, Super Famicom 800 yen, Nintendo 64 1000 yen

EDIT: Can use a credit card or a Wii Points prepaid card

Two Wiimotes, excellent. But does that mean two nunchucks? Or one? Or zero?

This is the important question.

...and now I'm off to try and resign myself to no Zelda this year. I just have a feeling.

Top Bottom