• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

Game-Biz

115821159301.jpg

gururoji

Are we finally going to get to see anything about M!! or whatever the name was they trademarked for that rumored messaging service?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
john tv said:
VC prices: Famicom 500 yen, Super Famicom 800 yen, Nintendo 64 1000 yen

About 5, 8, and 10 bucks then? What about the Sega and Turbo games?

civilstrife said:
I can't believe they're finally going back on their "games only" approach.
Just a strange move...

They didn't need to. No sense in creating hardware on the cheap and then trying to emulate what MS and Sony are doing with their feature packed console hybrids. The whole point of the low price point was to offer something stripped down and affordable.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
john tv said:

I can dig it.

I assume the other systems will just fall in line with the nintendo system of that gen.

Juice said:
The reason GameCube failed wasn't the lack of features, it was the half-assed implementation that had too many competing goals. Creativity and imitating the competition simultaneously didn't work.
What implementations are you talking about that had too many competing goals? That makes zero sense. Let's hear you explain that. Wii already is doing things incredibly different than competitors. You can't put Nintendo in the same territory as Sony/MS.

ManaByte

Leondexter said:
Two Wiimotes, excellent. But does that mean two nunchucks? Or one? Or zero?

This is the important question.

...and now I'm off to try and resign myself to no Zelda this year. I just have a feeling.

Was that confirmed? Two Wiimotes?

SuperPac

john tv said:

Ooh, those are good prices. I guess we could assume they'll be priced similarly in the US. Very nice. I will buy a few then.

Even if it is, it 's rarely is supported well on other platforms. Kids go on PC to play for free and it always work.
Nintendo is loosing focus. Back to games for cheap as promised.

fugimax

Good for their stockholders and them.
Companies need to make money. That's how it works.

How do MS and Sony do it? Higher game and accessory prices to recoup the hit they took on the console. Nintendo just chooses to profit a little on everything, not a lot on some things.

Amir0x

Banned
As I said, $250 would be more acceptable if every last aspect of Wii wasn't so damn cheap.

If it had 1gig of flash memory instead of 512mb. If it had DVD playback out of the box. If it at least supported HD resolutions...

But Nintendo went out of their way to make this the 'value proposition, a console about appealing to non-gamers with innovation, not power' and the resulting offer seems positively anus-raping because of it.

Beezy

Terrell said:
From IGNWii:

I'm sorry, but... even at $250, this is likely to BURY Sony.

If they somehow manage to sell all of those, Reggie's gonna boast about how they sold 10x more systems than Sony.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
ronito said:
Agreed. Very strange from Nintendo. I've never bought the whole "Ooooh you can share photos and browse the web and play music with this console!" bit. Yeah thanks, I have a computer for that, and so do all my friends and family. Why would I want to do it from a console?
So the Wii will have a few extra features that you won't use. Who the fuck cares?!?!!?

ethelred

john tv said:

EDIT: Can use a credit card or a Wii Points prepaid card

A bit too high, IMO, but I'll wait for the US prices.

Kuga

So what the hell is with the conflicting prices (Sort of, the conversion is hardly close.) between the NYT article and famitsu?

ant1532

Banned
115821158700.jpg

まずは岩田社長の市場分析から。DSヒットの要因を語ってます。

ライトユーザー、女性ユーザーに指示された

1世帯あたり3.0台の普及率

以上が成功の理由との分析でした。

そのノウハウでWiiも普及をねらうようです。

Translate someone!

115821159301.jpg

ファミコン
スーファミ

の、ソフト価格発表!
MSXのゲームも参加決定!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1:27 a.m. EST [update 4] From Famitsu, Iwata is talking about how the DS has shifted the market in Japan.

1:32 a.m. EST [update 5] Iwata continues to talk about expanding the game playing population, making games for everyone, even non-gamers. Nothing new.

frogg609

so many people are bitching about $250.00, when they wil shell out $600.00 for a PS3. Are graphics all that matters? If it is, then get a PS3.
Wii games look as if they could be amazing, and all this GC 1.5 is a load of bull. It's not always about the numbers, and processor clicks, or the number of polys the video card can crunch, it's about innovative gameplay.
So yea Wii haters, quit your whining, it's just silly.

PkunkFury

BorkBork said:
About 5, 8, and 10 bucks then? What about the Sega and Turbo games?

I wonder if Sega and Hudson get to choose their prices? I imagine they'd like that freedom so it's a good sign

PkunkFury said:
a weather and news cahnnel seems kind of useless when I already get a wheather and news channel on cable TV and I can browse news and weather sites on the internet with the Opera browser. I hope they've come up with something more intersting for games...

Didn't they say their goal was to make something you'd turn on and check in with daily? (kinda like the daily routine stuff in animal crossing) So apparently when you log on to see what Wiiconnect has given you or if there are new VC games (kinda like checking xbox marketplace daily) there's a few other things on that interface like the weather or something. Not a huge thing, kinda like we see jessica simpson on marketplace now. (don't really need that either)

ronito

Ford Prefect said:
So the Wii will have a few extra features that you won't use. Who the **** cares?!?!!?
Because I'm paying for those extra features no one will use, they don't just magically appear from some magical cauldron that Yamauchi left behind. That's why!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
ant1532 said:
115821158700.jpg

まずは岩田社長の市場分析から。DSヒットの要因を語ってます。

ライトユーザー、女性ユーザーに指示された

1世帯あたり3.0台の普及率

以上が成功の理由との分析でした。

そのノウハウでWiiも普及をねらうようです。

Translate someone!

115821159301.jpg

ファミコン
スーファミ

の、ソフト価格発表!
MSXのゲームも参加決定!

He talks about how women are buying the DS lite and how MSX games are confirmed to be on the wii.

Amir0x said:
As I said, $250 would be more acceptable if every last aspect of Wii wasn't so damn cheap.

If it had 1gig of flash memory instead of 512mb. If it had DVD playback out of the box. If it at least supported HD resolutions...

But Nintendo went out of their way to make this the 'value proposition, a console about appealing to non-gamers with innovation, not power' and the resulting offer seems positively anus-raping because of it.

This man (I think?) speaks the truth.

Hero

I don't think two controllers is confirmed. I was just speculating.

I think it would be dumb to package Wii sports in and only one controller.

After all, aren't they trying to include everyone? Wii = We = more than one person playing?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1:34 a.m. EST: [update 6] Prices for virtual console games! 500 yen for NES games, 800 yen for SNES games, 100 yen for N64 games. Pay by credit card of Wii points card. Wii will play three MSX games (from Gemaga)

So is all of Japan's stuff cheaper, or did NYT translate all of their prices badly by dividing by 100?

See:
Console 250 yen = $250
Virtual Console Games: 500 - 1000 Yen = $5-10

I doubt that is it, but it has to be one of these two possibilities. Hopefully Canada won't get screwed too, giving us bad exchange rate on top of bad exchange rate.

Juice

frogg609 said:
so many people are bitching about $250.00, when they wil shell out $600.00 for a PS3. Are graphics all that matters? If it is, then get a PS3.
Wii games look as if they could be amazing, and all this GC 1.5 is a load of bull. It's not always about the numbers, and processor clicks, or the number of polys the video card can crunch, it's about innovative gameplay.
So yea Wii haters, quit your whining, it's just silly.

Wow, I think you may have just inadvertently founded the NDF.

Top Bottom