• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

medrew

ronito said:
Because I'm paying for those extra features no one will use, they don't just magically appear from some magical cauldron that Yamauchi left behind. That's why!

god, the extra features are minimal cost. this is nintendo, if it cost a lot to develop they wouldn't have put it in.

At least they didn't botch their number of launch units!

When are they launching in Japan and Europe? It doesn't really say how many units they are getting and when. All that article talked about was NA.

Ponn

Banned
Amir0x said:
As I said, $250 would be more acceptable if every last aspect of Wii wasn't so damn cheap.

If it had 1gig of flash memory instead of 512mb. If it had DVD playback out of the box. If it at least supported HD resolutions...

But Nintendo went out of their way to make this the 'value proposition, a console about appealing to non-gamers with innovation, not power' and the resulting offer seems positively anus-raping because of it.

Sort of agree. I think the cheap route and concentrating on the whole wii mote thing was good. The $250 price tag though takes it out of the "impulse just buy it" category that $199 would have given them. Pack in game is a good idea, it just doesn't interest me. We will have to see how regular consumers relate to it. If anyone remember when the original gameboy first came out Baseball was the most common demo with mario land and that sold it so hey, wait and see I guess.

Baryn

Banned
PS3 will do everything better in terms of media because it's HD. I'm not downgrading to 480p browsing!

Bring on the games Nintendo >(

brandonh83 said:
So like, what do those VC prices translate to in American dollars?

General rule of thumb: 100 yen is a dollar. Right now, a dollar is worth more than that, but US pricing will still probably be $5, $8, and $10.

Foil

frogg609 said:
so many people are bitching about $250.00, when they wil shell out $600.00 for a PS3. Are graphics all that matters? If it is, then get a PS3.
Wii games look as if they could be amazing, and all this GC 1.5 is a load of bull. It's not always about the numbers, and processor clicks, or the number of polys the video card can crunch, it's about innovative gameplay.
So yea Wii haters, quit your whining, it's just silly.

Wow, somebody get this guy an avatar for the NDF.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1:38 a.m. EST [update 7]: Famitsu reports 30 Nintendo games and 30 PC Engine/Megadrive (Turbo-Grafx/Genesis) games before end of year. Ten new virtual console games every month!

edit: i sooooo told all of you ****ers! where's that one kid from the sonic thread?

$10 for N64 games i can live with, but i think the SNES and NES prices should be half of what's been announced ($5 for SNES, $2.50 for NES).

edit: Only 10 new VC games a month?

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
ronito said:
Because I'm paying for those extra features no one will use, they don't just magically appear from some magical cauldron that Yamauchi left behind. That's why!
No you're not. You're paying for the Wii hardware, Wii Sports, and a controller or two, not $50 for a miniscule firmware feature.

ant1532

Banned
PantherLotus said:
1:38 a.m. EST [update 7]: Famitsu reports 30 Nintendo games and 30 PC Engine/Megadrive (Turbo-Grafx/Genesis) games before end of year. Ten new virtual console games every month!
HOLY SHIT

castle007

Banned
PantherLotus said:

Awesome :D

Famitsu reports 30 Nintendo games and 30 PC Engine/Megadrive (Turbo-Grafx/Genesis) games before end of year. Ten new virtual console games every month!

Sweet!

RSP

That is some pretty agressive pricing, for both Wii AND VC games. is the conference just starting? or is it over allready?

dairladada said:
Exactly. And by the way I can find these N64 games on ebay for cheaper than that. That's vintage crap for my kids.

THIS JUST IN: NINTENDO TO SCRAP ENTIRE WII PLAN; GO WITH WHATEVER WORKS FOR DAIRLADADA'S KIDS INSTEAD

Juice

Boards of Canada said:
What implementations are you talking about that had too many competing goals? That makes zero sense. Let's hear you explain that. Wii already is doing things incredibly different than competitors. You can't put Nintendo in the same territory as Sony/MS.

Competing ideas:
-EAD wanted a clean break from competing with PS2, fought against DVD playback, fought for purple lunchbox with a handle and more plugins/accessories
-Yamauchi wanted to avenge the N64 and fight the PS2 with another PS2

Result: Lunchbox that functioned just like a PS2 but without the coolness or media features.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
PantherLotus said:

edit: i sooooo told all of you ****ers! where's that one kid from the sonic thread?
Greaaat

PkunkFury

PantherLotus said:

sweet, I know some of you want all games now, but i like the 10 a month approach. It'll give me something to look forward to each time a new batch comes out and time to enjoy the games I pick up in between.

Hyjinx

NeoGAF is slow tonight. I'm not to surprised at the $250 price point but I was hopeful for a lower price. What do you guys think Nintendo has up their sleeve at this point? They have to have at least 1 secret that they're going to let everyone in on in a few mins.

Duderz

Banned
PantherLotus said:

YESSSSSSS

The article on the $250 price has been PULLED on the NY Times website. And the plot thickens...9999 gafers just got owned twice in 1 night?

katana

Seattle PI story confirming $250 has been removed...possibly acounts for disparity between yen to dollar conversions?

wrecktify

Famitsu reports 30 Nintendo games and 30 PC Engine/Megadrive (Turbo-Grafx/Genesis) games before end of year. Ten new virtual console games every month!

Hyjinx said:
NeoGAF is slow tonight. I'm not to surprised at the $250 price point but I was hopeful for a lower price. What do you guys think Nintendo has up their sleeve at this point? They have to have at least 1 secret that they're going to let everyone in on in a few mins.

SURPRISE! $200

Top Bottom