• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

LevelNth

Banned
hyp said:
wait, so from what i've gathered in this thread, 480p/480i 16:9 widescreen will not be mandatory for games?
Pretty sure 16:9 is standard for all Wii games.

Also, too lazy to look through all this, the classic controller isn't packed in too is it? What's the cost?

Ok - first - the boxart is to be expected (simple) - but imo plain
Here's some mockups i've done to show how it might look with other games
boxart-real-marvel.jpg

boxart-real-smg.jpg

boxart-real-disaster.jpg

But regardless
THIS...
the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20060914082131989.jpg

EQUALS
wii-rise-to-heaven.gif

Link316

Banned
Nintendo wants the Wii to be the center of the living room and the controller's shaped like a remote but they leave out DVD playback, how fitting :p

Sunski

Red Steel.....WOAH! His hands have gone from N64 to REAL. You have a gun in one hand and a sword in the other?

UPGRADATHON CONTINUES!

Sunski

Hands up who is getting a Wii and already has a non gaming console DVD player they are happy with?

Oh yeh thats right. EVERYONE.

SantaC

chase said:
MP3 looked much better in motion around E3. IMO it was the second best looking game. We'll see when we get new vids.

most nintendo games looks better in motion than in screens.

ant1532

Banned
from Kubon's blog
• Will the Wii be region-free? Yes. Like the Nintendo DS, the Wii will be able to play games from other regions, such as Japan, without any restriction. Kaplan implied there might be a region lock that publishers would be able to flip on, but it doesn't sound like the first-party titles from Nintendo will be restricted.

• Will games downloaded from the Virtual Console store be tied to an account like Xbox Live or a one-time-only download like iTunes? Tied to an account. Kaplan discussed a scenario where a player's Wii was broken or destroyed, but would be able to re-download titles they had previously bought to a new Wii machine. Because my left leg was burning from an accidental Zippo oil spill, I neglected to ask if a user would be able to log into friends' Wiis and play their Virtual Console downloads away from their home machine.

• Will Wii users be able to add storage via USB hard drives? No. The Wii's storage will be exclusively via flash memory storage, such as SD memory cards, at least at launch. Kaplan said a hard drive addition could be in the future, but that sounds more like a "Sure, why not?" response than one based in any immediate plans.

• How much will Opera cost? Unknown. No price has yet been set for the download-able Opera web browser, but it sounds like it could very well be free, once Nintendo finishes discussions with Opera.

The big news from the press conference, besides the price—$250 for the console with one controller and Wii Sports bundled, $40 for additional Wii Remotes and $20 for additional Wii Nunchucks—was the showing of "Wii Channels," an instant-on interface where Wii players will be able to create "Mii" (me) personal avatars that work in supported games; a Wii Shop where Virtual Console games can be purchased for "Wii Points"; and photo, movie, and web browsing.

Aurora

The Wii boxart is far too plain in my opinion. Just solid white? Not even a border? It looks hideous with the darker game covers.

SantaC said:
most nintendo games looks better in motion than in screens.
I think you could say that about most games, especially next/new gen games, I've found that 360 games almost invariably look much better in motion than in stills. But I agree for example Mario Galaxy looks much better in motion to me.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Will the Wii be region-free? Yes. Like the Nintendo DS, the Wii will be able to play games from other regions, such as Japan, without any restriction. Kaplan implied there might be a region lock that publishers would be able to flip on, but it doesn't sound like the first-party titles from Nintendo will be restricted.

Fap fap fap..

Link316 said:
Nintendo wants the Wii to be the center of the living room and the controller's shaped like a remote but they leave out DVD playback, how fitting :p

So you'd rather pay extra money for Wii for DVD playback?

Jesus who doesn't have a DVD player today

Stupid post

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hyp said:
wait, so from what i've gathered in this thread, 480p/480i 16:9 widescreen will not be mandatory for games? you've gotta be fuc|<ing kidding me. i was already upset nintendo ditched hdtv all together, but if i'm going to have to play another video game stretched on my LCD at 4:3, major FTL for nintendo right there.

get with the ****ing program. even television shows are in 16:9, standardize that at least.

I can understand no HD for games - texture, fillrate blah blah. But I still want HD for dash stuff - photos especially, but maybe video too.

MrNibbles said:
Wrong. I preordered a GC at Circuit City for 250.
Then your Circuit City screwed up or you preordered before Nintendo announced the price.

fugimax said:
People forget that the controller technology was developed in-house and is a complete custom system.
Err, not really. Around E3 there were several press releases from the companies who were providing things like their accelerometers or cameras for use with the sensor bar.

ronito said:
Because I'm paying for those extra features no one will use, they don't just magically appear from some magical cauldron that Yamauchi left behind. That's why!
I dunno. I'm about as worried of these features being a big part of the Wii cost as much as I am of weather.com being a significant factor in my Internet fees.

JoDark said:
But Nintendo SUCKS at localization (time - wise, the quality is always AAA)...

If they are finishing Zelda for their launch, maybe we have to wait for it to be translated into English? Hopefully not too long!
Don't worry. When it really matters they make sure it gets done. Like when Ocarina of Time released in Japan and North America within days of each other.

Kintaro said:
Wtf? Wii is in HD and widescreen now?
Atari 2600 games could be anamorphic widescreen if they were designed to be. But yeah, most Wii games have such a mode. HD, no, but that's an interesting thing to gather from what's maybe a 200x100 pixel screen in that iamge.

sp0rsk said:
I see a little silluetto of a man MATSUNO MATSUNO CAN YOU DO AN OGRE BATTLE?
For a Queen song subtitle for Ogre Battle Wii, I recommend Flick of the Wrist.

TheGreatDave said:
I think they would have shown video if it was there - the 512mb memory probably limits them.
While I agree with the first point, if someone was going to be doing video editing they'd probably need to import it with an SD card anyway, so the internal storage wouldn't be a big deal.

# Sword of Legendia (potential Tales of Legendia spin-off) (Namco Bandai)
If that's accurate, it seems the Tales system choices are totally weird. The "Tales of the World" games go from GBA to PSP, and Wii gets a spinoff of one of the Tales sub-series that never appeared on a Nintendo system? Wouldn't Sword of Phantasia or Sword of Symphonia make more sense?

empanada said:
WiiGAF
WiiBelieve
20060502wiigaf.png

GitarooMan said:
Trust me as I'm am on the East Coast (EST)
EDT. Daylight Saving Time is the devil, but if we don't abbreviate it properly that middle letter just becomes totally useless.

Second said:
Ps3 can have the same controls as Wii.
Minus pointer, minus second motion sensitive part of controller.

LJ11 said:
When buying another controller, do I need to buy both the nunchuck and the Wii remote, or is the Wiimote enough?
Depends what you play.

Sgt. Killjoy said:
ok that pic of reggie with the madden screenshot behind him, that screen looks wayyy to good
Super GameCube may not be PS3, but it is decent enough that when you see a shittily small screen shot flaws won't usually jump out at you.

pxleyes said:
WTF at Opera not being free!!!!!
Well, it isn't for DS. Or other mobile devices. And wasn't always for PC.

djtesto said:
You have to buy them both separately? Honestly, that's retarded. Worst news yet.
As has been pointed out, they can break (or be lost) separately. Or maybe you're strictly old school and have no use for further nunchuks, but need several wiimote+classic controller sets.

Testicular Sound Express said:
the controller and nunchck prices are bs. Thats 60 dollars for another controller :|
Well, we've known for a year that the fancy schmancy controller is the biggest deal about the system. I'm not too surprised the combination comes in at more than other standard controllers.

SolidSnakex said:
Will the system have its own internal memory for photos and such? Kaplan says it will have some capacity for internal memory, but "most" of the storage will indeed be through SD card.
It would be trivial to let you copy from a card to the internal memory and vice-versa, but yeah, it does seem that taking a card straight from a camera to the Wii and back would be the core use.

chase said:
Pack in Opera (what a privilege to surf the internet with a remote!)
Opera probably thinks so; selling their browser is their business. Nintendo could've paid some fee per-system to have Opera include it for free, but they could do so for dozens of other things too. Some were deemed worth it, others not.

Angelcurio said:
So can we assume that wii60 is officially dead? the combo already surpasses the premium ps3 by $50 o_O
Well, you will need to buy something to play on the PS3. Wii60 comes with WiiSportsHexic.

StRaNgE said:
pushing multiplayer so hard yet only one controller?
Second controller at $250 would certainly be optimal, but 360 similarly pushes a multiplayer feature you pay extra for in Live.

hyp said:
wait, so from what i've gathered in this thread, 480p/480i 16:9 widescreen will not be mandatory for games? you've gotta be fuc|<ing kidding me. i was already upset nintendo ditched hdtv all together, but if i'm going to have to play another video game stretched on my LCD at 4:3, major FTL for nintendo right there.

get with the ****ing program. even television shows are in 16:9, standardize that at least.
The reason they feel they can get away with another non-HD generation is because the vast majority of end users still use SDTVs. Given that, it would seem silly to force developers to support something they themselves say a minority of players will have. However, most games do seem to have a widescreen mode; it's just up to you the buyer to make those games sell better.

Yeah, Downhill Jam looks better although those shots look suspicially touched up. I love fun racing games though, so I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Ranger X

mysticstylez said:
It's amazing how much people are getting hyped up about playing the same old gamecube games, just using different control methods.

Also amazing that people like to play last-gen graphic games but high-rez...
(talking about the 360 and Ps3 here you fool)

Ford Prefect said:
Most upsettingly, no 16:9

>:|

You're right: and I don't understand this point. Nintendo said that all first party's agmes will be in 480p and 16:9. Retro is First Party, so I don't understand the problem.

EDIT: the E3 Demo was in 16:9. So, il is really unlikely that they returned back to the 4:3. This image is cut. And Red Steel too.

Will the Wii be region-free? Yes. Like the Nintendo DS, the Wii will be able to play games from other regions, such as Japan, without any restriction. Kaplan implied there might be a region lock that publishers would be able to flip on, but it doesn't sound like the first-party titles from Nintendo will be restricted.

(tears of joy)

helium121

Banned
Metroid hands on at IGN

The game is not yet running in 16:9 widescreen mode, but Retro is still looking into it. It does, however, support progressive-scan. We have to say, the new level looks great. Texture resolutions have been bumped up, bloom lighting complements areas, and the particle effects system is better than ever. Really, watch our latest videos and we think you'll be pretty impressed. The game runs for the most part at 60 frames per second, but we did notice a few spots where the fluidity dipped.

more at site

Peru

There are good-looking games here, but why are people saying Tony Hawk looks so much better? It still looks simple, has basic textures, muddy colors... shoddy, in other words.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
TanOOkiSeong said:

Stupid post
How is it a stupid post? Make people buy an add on if they want dvd playback and everyone will be happy! Are you going to give some excuse as to why they arent doing this?

Its conradictory as to what nintendo is trying to do, its just a copout excuse.

I was just about to replace my dvd player also as the laser is ****ing up, and the ps2 is just as bad.

tony-hawks-downhill-jam-20060914083500979.jpg

tony-hawks-downhill-jam-20060914083504635.jpg

Besides a change in the colour tint, where is this OMG upgrade?

Taker666

TanOOkiSeong said:

Stupid post

I would have prefered it to have DVD playback. Simply due to the fact I've used up all the decent inputs on my tv and will now have to buy a switch box for the additional input.

I would have moved my standalone player to another room if Wii had contained a DVD player. Now I'll just have to pay out for a switch box and have zero to show for it.

jarosh

JohnsonUT said:
From Matt C.

Guys,

I'll have an update coming. But just a quick heads-up: Retro has proved the potential of the Wii-mote with Metroid Prime 3. The developer added a third control mode, expert (this is not normal or advanced, but all-new) and it simulates PC FPS controls to 90 percent accuracy. I was FLYING around levels with ease.

BTW -- We'll have footage so you can see for yourself soon. The game looks mad hot.

Matt
if this is true - best news of the whole conference

Core407

Banned
The Black Brad Pitt said:
How is it a stupid post? Make people buy an add on if they want dvd playback and everyone will be happy! Are you going to give some excuse as to why they arent doing this?

Its conradictory as to what nintendo is trying to do, its just a copout excuse.

I was just about to replace my dvd player also as the laser is ****ing up, and the ps2 is just as bad.

You can buy a DVD player for $30 at most electronics store. There's really no need for the Wii to support DVD playback and if it cuts back on cost, I'm even more for it.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
helium121 said:
Metroid hands on at IGN

The game is not yet running in 16:9 widescreen mode, but Retro is still looking into it. It does, however, support progressive-scan. We have to say, the new level looks great. Texture resolutions have been bumped up, bloom lighting complements areas, and the particle effects system is better than ever. Really, watch our latest videos and we think you'll be pretty impressed. The game runs for the most part at 60 frames per second, but we did notice a few spots where the fluidity dipped.

more at site
Retro, all your balls belong to me if you do not choose wisely in this matter.

helium121 said:
Metroid hands on at IGN

more at site
Link?? I cant find it anywhere.

helium121

Banned
More hands on:

We started up a new level where heroine Samus Aran explores a vast space station and immediately switched to expert mode. We're happy to report that it simulates the accuracy of PC first-person shooters almost perfectly, and we found ourselves soaring through levels, zipping around corners, pulling quick turns and zapping down enemies with pinpoint precision without seconds. Simply put, Retro has nailed it - and it makes the wait to 2007 for the game that much more difficult. We're not kidding when we write that Prime 3 feels like a brand new game with this control.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
helium121 said:
More hands on:

We started up a new level where heroine Samus Aran explores a vast space station and immediately switched to expert mode. We're happy to report that it simulates the accuracy of PC first-person shooters almost perfectly, and we found ourselves soaring through levels, zipping around corners, pulling quick turns and zapping down enemies with pinpoint precision without seconds. Simply put, Retro has nailed it - and it makes the wait to 2007 for the game that much more difficult. We're not kidding when we write that Prime 3 feels like a brand new game with this control.
hubba hubba

hyp

LevelNth said:
Pretty sure 16:9 is standard for all Wii games.

Also, too lazy to look through all this, the classic controller isn't packed in too is it? What's the cost?

*crosses fingers*

Top Bottom