• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

Saoh

IGN said:
Nintendo of America's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan, confirmed to IGN Wii today that its forthcoming Wii console will not play Hollywood DVD movies. The decision to remove the functionality was made in order to deliver the machine at a cheaper cost and because most people today already own DVD players.

boooo, oh well... region-free+zelda+launch+RE+FE > DVD player

singularity said:

WTF? There's a 720p version of the new Rayman trailer.

raymanck9.jpg

Xzbeat

Mr. TV Goggles said:
NO ONE SAID THIS

EASY JUNIOR

MOVE ALONG, NOTHING TO SEE HERE

+tax, it will be 250 euros.
I don't think the taxes are that high in the US. I always believed they were much lower than here.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ford Prefect said:
I dunno, like someone said earlier, it just doesn't make sense that a big conference would be held, and Iwata would fly over just to break such awful news.

awful for europeans, at least! :lol

Then we can say... At least we had Iwata.

Nino said:
Why the **** would they do that? I can see Europe getting it a bit later but this doesn't make any sense at all.
because the ps3 isn't out until around then they might feel it's safe to delay it i guess. would still suck for our EU brothers (and i lived in England from birth to 04 so i really feel for that market while i buy games so much cheaper than i used to pay back home).

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
plagiarize said:
480p isn't HD despite what everyone try to say last gen. it is and always has been enhanced definition or 'ED'.

i never said so, but if you read what i quoted, the guy seems to think that the wii is only capable of 480i

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Firestorm said:
Godammit 40 new pages since I went to sleep. I'm now at school. Won't be home for a while. I give up ;_;

region-free.
Now you can go to sleep.

Ford Prefect said:
I dunno, like someone said earlier, it just doesn't make sense that a big conference would be held, and Iwata would fly over just to break such awful news.

awful for europeans, at least! :lol

I know, he'd be lynched if it's delayed. I honestly don't see it slipping, why would you schedule the conferences back to backin the first place?

kojacker

Nino said:
Why the **** would they do that? I can see Europe getting it a bit later but this doesn't make any sense at all.
Guys it still says Winter 2006 for me. Playstation 3 says March 2007.

What are you seeing?

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
plagiarize said:
because the ps3 isn't out until around then they might feel it's safe to delay it i guess. would still suck for our EU brothers (and i lived in England from birth to 04 so i really feel for that market while i buy games so much cheaper than i used to pay back home).
But wouldnt it be even dumber to release in March because of the PS3? Doesn't make any sense. I'm not saying I believe it but if it would be true... Man, that would be a huge let down.

kojacker said:
Guys it still says Winter 2006 for me. Playstation 3 says March 2007.

What are you seeing?
wii_sm.gif

Seth C

Nintendo had a chance with me. I'll be completely up front here. I've not purchased a Nintendo console since the Super NES. I haven't felt the need to. Still, I was excited about the prospect of the Wii, I really was. I was going to run out and purchase one on launch day, but mostly because it seemed like fun, cheap entertainment. I considered it more of a toy than a typical game console. I also expected it to be priced closer to $200. $250 isn't awful, but if those component cables are not packaged with the system then it quickly becomes a $300+ investment, which is more than I'm willing to pay. They'll have priced themselves right out of a sell, probably for the entire generation, as half the fun of buying a console (for me) is getting in on the launch hype. After that, resisting a purchase is much easier.

So really Nintendo, just throw in some copper and RCA plugs and gives us a combo AV/Component cable, okay? It will cost you an additional 30 cents and be enough to ensure my purchase.

jarosh

new mp3 expert mode now on gamespot live

edit: well, sorry. the guy didn't actually play in expert mode. the pr dude was just talking about expert mode

Baker

Banned
SolidSnakex posted this back in the 40s pages but no one commented on it.

From Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157575.html

All first-party games and most (if not all) other Wii content will be capable of the 16:9 aspect ratio used by HDTVs, but will not be in high definition.

I take that as meaning first party games won't even be in 480p. If that's what Nintendo is getting at, it seriously is a deal breaker for me. Even all the GC first party games were progressive scan.

I hope the wording is just stupid and they meant "high definition" as 720/1080 shit.

Toma

perplexcity said:

Yeah... Back in the 40s. The good ol pages... *sigh*

perplexcity said:

I take that as meaning first party games won't even be in 480p. If that's what Nintendo is getting at, it seriously is a deal breaker for me. Even all the GC first party games were progressive scan.

I hope the wording is just stupid and they meant "high definition" as 720/1080 shit.

Mario Galaxy and Zelda *DO* run in Widescreen AND 480p - Progressive scan mode. We have known this since E3.

perplexcity said:

480p is ED. Enhanced definition. HD is 720p, 1080i and up. 480i is standard definition.

that's always been the proper definition but last gen people talked about progressive scan as if it was HD when it isnt and wasn't.

Duderz

Banned
perplexcity said:

No, all first party games will be in 480p. Just not in high def.

480p isn't high def.

Speevy

Banned
Ford Prefect said:
BTW, this game that everyone was asking about earlier:

933025_20060914_screen001.jpg

...is apparently called Mr. D Goes to Town (awesome :lol), and is by "Mastiff, RED Entertainment," according to Gamespot. Also, the genre is Action.

I thought that was Katamari Damacy when I first saw it.

Top Bottom