• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

helium121 said:
More hands on:

We started up a new level where heroine Samus Aran explores a vast space station and immediately switched to expert mode. We're happy to report that it simulates the accuracy of PC first-person shooters almost perfectly, and we found ourselves soaring through levels, zipping around corners, pulling quick turns and zapping down enemies with pinpoint precision without seconds. Simply put, Retro has nailed it - and it makes the wait to 2007 for the game that much more difficult. We're not kidding when we write that Prime 3 feels like a brand new game with this control.

Awesome.

ARRRRGH, is the US event already over? Is there any summary for what was announced? Just came back from work and this thread has 64 pages ...

helium121 said:
Retro has to know how important getting 16:9 would be for Metroid. Here's hoping that part of the delay is to implement this.
I agree, I think Metroid Prime is the type of game begging for widescreen.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Frankfurter said:
ARRRRGH, is the US event already over? Is there any summary for what was announced? Just came back from work and this thread has 64 pages ...

Yea, you might want to consult one of the outside sources instead of this bloated thing.

hyp

mrklaw said:
I can understand no HD for games - texture, fillrate blah blah. But I still want HD for dash stuff - photos especially, but maybe video too.

yea, i don't see how fulfilling it will be to surf the web at 480i. it's bad enough when i hook up my laptop to my HDTV i can't see shit below anything that's 1280x1024. i guess we'll just have to see. fine, fine, send me a wahhmbulance... the lack of HD is going to bug me after owning both a 360 and PS3 (eventually). i really hope developers make all games in 16:9 though, but it looks like the ball has been dropped already with zelda and tony hawk being 4:3.

the new mp3 controls 'simulate mouse accuracy'

it still doesn't sound like the crosshairs are locked off at the center of the screen from the hands on. just a heads up. i think it's more that they've finally found the right balance of turning speed, et al.

they've already said it still has a lock on button.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
hyp said:
yea, i don't see how fulfilling it will be to surf the web at 480i. it's bad enough when i hook up my laptop to my HDTV i can't see shit below anything that's 1280x1024. i guess we'll just have to see. fine, fine, send me a wahhmbulance... the lack of HD is going to bug me after owning both a 360 and PS3 (eventually). i really hope developers make all games in 16:9 though, but it looks like the ball has been dropped already with zelda and tony hawk being 4:3.

wii supports 480p

sammyjojo

I can't believe I made read like 90% of this thread starting from page 1 all the way to page 64 :)

I'm glad Nintendo finally gave us most of the information that we were wondering about. I was always going to get a Wii, but after watching those videos and seeing the new pictures I'm a lot more excited about it. I think the price is fair, it's not as cheap as the hype was making it out to be, but they pretty much stuck with the standard Nintendo price for systems.

I hope this thread doesn't balloon up more then it has, it's takes too long to keep up with :)

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
hyp said:
Besides both those games being 16:9, have you seen the video of Wii browsing? Ease of zoom, etc., will negate any downsides of browsing in 480i you can think of (visually, that is).

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
SolidSnakex said:
wiit02.jpg

MSX on Virtual Console ?!?!?

Does this mean Metal Gear 1 & 2 (the real 2) are coming?

linsivvi

Will the Wii be region-free? Yes. Like the Nintendo DS, the Wii will be able to play games from other regions, such as Japan, without any restriction. Kaplan implied there might be a region lock that publishers would be able to flip on, but it doesn't sound like the first-party titles from Nintendo will be restricted.

That's the news I've been waiting for! Surely will import an US Wii despite of the higher price.

$250 for the console and a game and controlers + 3 * $40 to play the games the way they are supposed to be, that's $370... + tax.

That's $370 for the entertainment of 4 persons, as compared to $250 for 1. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. It is your problem if you cannot afford to pay for 4 persons' entertainment by yourself.

Ranger X

Nintendo recommends 16.9 but they obviously won't make it "required". The console is "HD" and most SDTV are still 4.3
The only thing Nintendo will require i guess is that any game can be put in 4.3

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
BTW, this game that everyone was asking about earlier:

933025_20060914_screen001.jpg

...is apparently called Mr. D Goes to Town (awesome :lol), and is by "Mastiff, RED Entertainment," according to Gamespot. Also, the genre is Action.

jarosh

However, we do have some spectacular news to report, too, which is that Retro Studios has become the first developer to prove the potential of the Wii-mote with first-person titles. Corruption was sometimes-clumsily controlled at E3 2006, but thanks to a new control method designed specifically for pros, that's no longer the case.

They explained that they hoped it would satisfy our cravings for first-person maneuverability similar to a mouse and keyboard configuration in FPSs on the PC platform.

Simply put, Retro has nailed it - and it makes the wait to 2007 for the game that much more difficult. We're not kidding when we write that Prime 3 feels like a brand new game with this control.

I LOVE RETRO

Model 500

Model 500 said:
I'm not a rich guy, but I'll happily pay 250$ for the Wii-bundle. That's money well spent. I don't really get the people who complain about this price. It's a new experience, and at least to me, there's enough to play even without MP3 for the first few months.

plagiarize said:
what people are saying is 'given that this is meant to bring in new gamers these prices are surprisingly high'... which i think is a fair statement.

Yep, seems just a bit high for the mass market. It's always hard to tell, though. Only thing that would surprise me is if it didn't sell better than the GC. Everything else is pretty much open as far as I can tell. Just to make it clear, I was talking about the people in this forum, people who like and play videogames already.

Top Bottom