• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

StRaNgE

Banned
Amir0x said:
As I said, $250 would be more acceptable if every last aspect of Wii wasn't so damn cheap.

If it had 1gig of flash memory instead of 512mb. If it had DVD playback out of the box. If it at least supported HD resolutions...

But Nintendo went out of their way to make this the 'value proposition, a console about appealing to non-gamers with innovation, not power' and the resulting offer seems positively anus-raping because of it.

you are so right on!

see, you , me and most of us will prob have one by xmas no matter what (well depending) but your typical guy i work with on a day to day bases will shy away at anything over the 200 price point. under 200 and it's a spontanious purchase.

personally i was expecting less and might not go out and worry about launch day. might actually wait for some reviews, go ahead get zelda on cube, beat that, do the gears of war thing and then if all seems cool grab a wii for xmas. otherwise i might even just blow it off even longer.

when i was leaning at 170, i'd just go blow cash on it. hell i drop 2 bills myself all the time on silly useless crap. over 2 bills and i start thinking it through a bit more.

why are they making it a photo viewer? sounds pointless so far.

what's the scoop?

skip

CrushDance said:
The article on the $250 price has been PULLED on the NY Times website. And the plot thickens...9999 gafers just got owned twice in 1 night?

it's because an embargo was broken. don't read too much into it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
CrushDance said:
The article on the $250 price has been PULLED on the NY Times website. And the plot thickens...9999 gafers just got owned twice in 1 night?

Oh that would be glorious, so much egg on the faces.

My kids are the audience my dear. And believe me, in a family with 3 kids, money is not unlimited.
So Nintendo better be careful with the bullshit. DS is fine, Wii is going a bit too far for nowadays audience. They don't have the Xbox or Playstation rep anymore...

Busaiku

PantherLotus said:
1:38 a.m. EST [update 7]: Famitsu reports 30 Nintendo games and 30 PC Engine/Megadrive (Turbo-Grafx/Genesis) games before end of year. Ten new virtual console games every month!

edit: i sooooo told all of you ****ers! where's that one kid from the sonic thread?
Ok wow, that's pretty awesome...
I'm actually really looking forward to the Virtual Console now.

Xellos

wrecktify said:
Famitsu reports 30 Nintendo games and 30 PC Engine/Megadrive (Turbo-Grafx/Genesis) games before end of year. Ten new virtual console games every month!

Nice; it'll be great if VC gets that kind of consistant support. The pricing sounds good too.

Zep

Banned
I'm sorta liking the VC prices...If MS can get away with selling frogger for $5 then this should be cool. Whats the chance of Rondo Of Blood coming to the system?

Hyjinx

Bwahahaaha. Nintendo must be watching GAF.

"Iwata-san, GAF disapproves of the 25000 yen price point"
"Really? 200 it is then!"

Juice

Hah, NYT/SeattlePI must have gotten some late night phone calls.

Mark this as the first time a Nintendo product has been more expensive in the US, no?

If it's true that it's $250 here, then it means Nintendo finally realized that their most hardcore audience is all located her and will pay whatever, and that they probably have plans of cutting the price in January.

Amir0x said:
As I said, $250 would be more acceptable if every last aspect of Wii wasn't so damn cheap.

If it had 1gig of flash memory instead of 512mb. If it had DVD playback out of the box. If it at least supported HD resolutions...

But Nintendo went out of their way to make this the 'value proposition, a console about appealing to non-gamers with innovation, not power' and the resulting offer seems positively anus-raping because of it.

Now stick this under powered console with a foreign control scheme some will be skeptical of at first next to a more traditonal beast like the 360 and compare price tags. There is only a 50 dollar difference. This is what consumers will be doing at their local gamestore.

Really all MS has to do is try to show it is a better value than the Wii (and weather out the PS3 storm) by emphazing what it has and they can ensure at least a no. 2 spot in NA for themselves just like they did with the Xbox versus Gamecube.

Sony's ridiculous price point actually the only thing that makes the Wii's price tag look good!

If I was Sony, I would avoid any direct comparisons.lol

ethelred

PantherLotus said:
1:38 a.m. EST [update 7]: Famitsu reports 30 Nintendo games and 30 PC Engine/Megadrive (Turbo-Grafx/Genesis) games before end of year. Ten new virtual console games every month!

edit: i sooooo told all of you ****ers! where's that one kid from the sonic thread?

I'm not a kid, I'm 25. And I was just giving you a hard time; don't take things so personally! :lol

cvxfreak

Juice said:
Hah, NYT/SeattlePI must have gotten some late night phone calls.

Mark this as the first time a Nintendo product has been more expensive in the US, no?

No. The DS was 15,000 Yen and $150.

dairladada said:
My kids are the audience my dear. And believe me, in a family with 3 kids, money is not unlimited.
So Nintendo better be careful with the bullshit. DS is fine, Wii is going a bit too far for nowadays audience. They don't have the Xbox or Playstation rep anymore...

We don't care.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
3891014_shocked.gif

60 VC games at launch and 10 per month? I'm actually not impressed by that. UNLESS they are adding new features. Otherwise, wtf...you can (albeit illegally) download a zip file containing hundreds of SNES, GENNY, N64 games off of bit torrent in full emulation with just a few minutes of effort.

I was really expecting hundreds of launch ready VC titles...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
TanOOkiSeong said:
:lol GAF is like Judge Smails (Caddyshack)

There is absolutely no emotion inbetween raging anger and giddy happiness

<3 GAF

I think this sums up things in a nutshell.

dairladada said:

So you were originally going to buy the console for yourself or your kids to download N64 games? I'm confuddled.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
I recall MS once saying that Sega games were not exclusive to the Wii. Are they going to leech all of the Genesis and MSX games? Also, could we see Saturn ports in the future?

ethelred

artful_dodger said:
60 VC games at launch and 10 per month? I'm actually not impressed by that. UNLESS they are adding new features. Otherwise, wtf...you can (albeit illegally) download a zip file containing hundreds of SNES, GENNY, N64 games off of bit torrent in full emulation with just a few minutes of effort.

I was really expecting hundreds of launch ready VC titles...

Then your expectations were out of whack. 60 at launch is excellent; 10 per month is excellent.

Top Bottom