• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

kojacker

Error2k4 said:
IGN has some new hands on impressions with Trauma Center: Second Opinion, dare I say it? Wii GOTY (**** Zelda :p)

sounds hot :)
Yep, this and Zelda are the only games worth getting at launch.

EDIT: IMO ;)

But it won't be easy to find :(

xabre said:
Hardly the point but you lot are obviously too thick to get that.
Your point is that having multiple DVD players is unsanitary, and that having to keep both a standalone DVD player and the Wii in your media room defies the laws of ****ing physics, so you'll have to excuse me and the rest of the population which resides in the mystical realm of sanity if we aren't thin enough to accept the lucid reality of your ridiculous 'point'.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
mCACGj said:
Clearly, care to explain?
The technology is already there, but they refuse to let people use it because it costs them money.

"We want to be the center of the living room as long as long as it costs us nothing"

Still, whats stopping them from releasing an add-on that enables dvd playback? Everyone wins. If you dont want to pay extra you wont have to and those that do will line Nintendo's pockets just that little bit more.

mCACGj

The Black Brad Pitt said:
The technology is already there, but they refuse to let people use it because it costs them money.

"We want to be the center of the living room as long as long as it costs us nothing"

Still, whats stopping them from releasing an add-on that enables dvd playback? Everyone wins. If you dont want to pay extra you wont have to and those that do will line Nintendo's pockets just that little bit more.

Aaaaa, OK. I wasn't sure. I completely agree, I thought you misunderstood my post.

Phew! That was long.

ANYWAY. All the little arguments about price (look at iPod's pricing structure. Note that all SKUs are selling briskly these days so the $50 gap between Wii and 360 isn't that bad) and DVD playback (grrr don't MAKE me buy one of those god damned component switchers!) takes a back seat to the simple awesomeness of Mii.

This is my little personal Killer App, although WarioWare would have made it SuperKiller. I knew I'd have to sell anything I had to to get this when I saw the little dude struggle when he got picked up by his head.

Now, the tough questions:
- Can I trade my Mii on WiiConnect24?
- Please tell me I can trade my Mii on WiiConnect24.
- It would be a real coup to be able to trade my Mii on WiiConnect24.

The launch line up, as it stands is pretty weak for a non-Zelda fan. But I'm not too broken up about it because even if I don't end up getting Rayman (hint: I most likely will), VC can tide me over until WarioWare is released.

But yeah, there needs to be a Mii specific thread so those who are only interested in Mii can talk freely and openly about how rad Mii is going to be.

Sincerely,
Mii.

Norse

so, the Wii II will come out next year and play dvds and maybe a hdmi port for the same price as Wii I. This is Nintendo and they know if they can have their fans buy 5 different kinds of the gba and ds, they sure as hell can take it to the Wii level too.

Lukems from 1UP was right, and so was I.

For 50 dollars more you get a core 360 that will play dvds out of the box and have graphics and sound that will blow the Wii away. And if MS lowers core to 249..........

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Norse said:
so, the Wii II will come out next year and play dvds and maybe a hdmi port for the same price as Wii I. This is Nintendo and they know if they can have their fans buy 5 different kinds of the gba and ds, they sure as hell can take it to the Wii level too.

For 50 dollars more you get a core 360 that will play dvds out of the box and have graphics and sound that will blow the Wii away. And if MS lowers core to 249..........

Yeah cuz they always throw out iterations of consoles just like their handhelds.

Dumbass argument.

xabre

Banned
Mike Works said:
Your point is that having multiple DVD players is unsanitary

I said nothing about being unsanitary, this is just something you're harping on about trying to be a smartarse.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
A_Lee_N said:
I think just over 5 more hours now.

European event is still like 5 hours away, no Aussie details will be shown then.

The Aussie details look like they wont be coming till next week now guys, but Im willing to wait it out till the end of the day and see whats on the Seven news.

Likely Aussie price is $349-$379 with Wiisports

VOOK said:
European event is still like 5 hours away, no Aussie details will be shown then.

The Aussie details look like they wont be coming till next week now guys, but Im willing to wait it out till the end of the day and see whats on the Seven news.

Likely Aussie price is $349-$379 with Wiisports

What's channel 7 got to do with it?

Edit - Go Crows

Enough of this DVD business.

DVD players are so cheap that chances are if you have a computer made after the year 2001, you have a DVD player. Not to mention that the standalones are just short of a dime a dozen for cost. For the price of Exploitation Rod/Wii Controller, you can get a standalone DVD player and 2-3 DVDs.

The Metroid Prime 3 and Zelda videos look concerning. The Wii controller doesn't seem to be making the grade. Might have to get the GC version of Twilight Princess rather than sluggish controls on the Wii.

Its all about Metal Slug anyway. The rest of the titles are just mere holdovers.

Jiggy

krypt0nian said:
Think of it like the first few months of the DS. Then it all turned around. I went from loving the potential of the DS at launch, to being soured on it, then loving it once the AAA games started rolling in.

I see the wii being similar.
I'll agree with that. Most of the good Wii stuff is coming later on--SSBB, Mario, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Super Paper Mario. Right now it's got a slow start, but the game library will pick up soon enough.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Bearillusion said:
What's channel 7 got to do with it?

Edit - Go Crows

Channel Seven are apparently got a feature on it tonight, and they ahve been told the details apparently.

Wait for the end of the day I think

Ark-AMN

Banned
Prime 3 played fine for me at E3, and that was using the regular controls, expert mode looks to speed things up even better.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
The Experiment said:
Enough of this DVD business.

DVD players are so cheap that chances are if you have a computer made after the year 2001, you have a DVD player. Not to mention that the standalones are just short of a dime a dozen for cost. For the price of Exploitation Rod/Wii Controller, you can get a standalone DVD player and 2-3 DVDs.
But then I risk making my living room unclean! UNCLEAN! WAAAAAAAHHHH!

Lee N

Membre
VOOK said:

Right.

I'm importing a jp Wii so I'm not really concerned with the european info even though I live in europe.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
been gone for hours. anything cool?

the last thing i wanted to see before was new Red Steel footage. did they actually 'fix' the control? whats the dealio. crap im durnk.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Norse said:

Then buy a fukcing 360. Holy God.

BorkBork

koam said:
Wii is cheaper than the gamecube was in canada, comes with a free game and is almost half the cost of the 360.

Shit I'd forgotten about that. GC was $299 here wasn't it? That kinda makes it easier to swallow for some reason.

Edit: N/m looked up :lol

Kind of stupid, but 100% backwards compatibility is confirmed, which is nice.

Firestorm

Yeah, GCN was $300 here. PS2 and XBX were $450.
Right now:

Wii: $280 ($316.40 with tax)
360: $500 ($560 with tax)
PS3: $660 ($745.80 with tax)

And **** you and no PST Alberta =(

BorkBork

Firestorm said:
Right now:

Wii: $250 ($282.50 with tax)

Wha? The press release says Wii's $279.95, is that not true?

Firestorm

Sorry. My bad. Been writing "$250" all day for everything so I'm confuzzled in the head. Fixed:

Right now:

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Firestorm said:
Sorry. My bad. Been writing "$250" all day for everything so I'm confuzzled in the head. Fixed:

Right now:

My VS3 cellphone was more expensive :lol

Terrell

Firestorm said:

Right now:

You MUST be from Saskatchewan, only us prairie boys hate Alberta that much. :lol
But yeah, I STILL don't understand what MS is doing with their pricing... except acting like they're stuck in the 90s.

Joeholley

I guess I'll post this here, although the whole point of making a new thread was that someone would actually SEE the post and like... uh... REPLY to it with THEIR OPINIONS. Here, it will be buried in the already-43-pages-of-stuff. Whatever.

Yes, I know there are some other threads like this. I'm looking for your opinions, though.

Frankly, I don't like trolling whole system launches, even when I think they are handled poorly or are, on the whole, underwhelming (see also: X360). But I've played Nintendo systems since the NES. I've owned pretty much everything they put out (even briefly a Virtual Boy, although I got it for free), and there's really no denying that their first party games are some of the best out there. The DS, which I though would be a failure of epic proportions when it was announced, has turned out to be one of my favorite systems in a long time. When I first heard about the new controller concept for this generation, I was one of the people on board - what a great idea! Lots of new gameplay concepts available here!

Then Nintendo went at futzed it all up.

Yep, I've had lots of time to acclimate to it, and 'Wii' is still an extremely poor idea for a system name in any English speaking country. Know what? Ever since the beginning, 'Revolution' seemed like a good name to me. Still does.

After seeing lots and lots of footage, the only game that's really getting my next-gen goose-pimples up is Mario Galaxy - this is painfully underpowered hardware. But you know what? Since we were told to keep our expectations of the specs in check, I had come to view this as a possible plus. Here was Nintendo embracing one of their best handheld strategies and bringing it to the home console market - don't go nuts on specs, and devs can afford to make games for your system. Everyone and their brother develops for GBA and DS, and one of the leading causes of the PSPs sinfully small library are the dev costs. Also, they could get the hardware into homes cheaply - thus more homes - thus more devs making more games.

And now you're telling me that prices for two decade old games that I can finish in 2-3 hours will be up to 10 dollars? Are you on crack? This is the same situation that apple had when making the iTunes music store: they realized that their product was already available for free. The only way to get people to pay for it was to dress it up, and make it so easy to use and cheap that people actually just bought it out of a lingering sense of guilt. (Ok, oversimplification, I know)

Then they announced a 250 dollar price point. I'm sorry folks, but that's the last straw.

I know this could never happen. Announcements have been made, promises, etc etc. But I can still dream of Nintendo launching an awesome new system called 'Revolution'. With a motion-sensing controller and graphics slightly better than the best we've seen from the Xbox, but at a price point that made it irresistable... say $150. With casual gamers flocking in at the low price point and to experience the new novel controller, everything could have blown sky high and we could have had dozens of awesome new control ideas being flung around, creating new genres and shaking things up. All while leaving the established PS3/X360 market essentially alone by blazing a new trail.

Yeah, that dream is dead. Thanks Nintendo. I had great hopes and you shat on them viciously.

So Nintendo blew it. Paint me a picture of how they could have taken this bitchin' new controller technology and made a successful console launch about it, so I can continue to live in my fantasy dream.

Top Bottom