• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

xabre

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
What the hell is with you? Cleanliness? My media room is completely sterile and all cords are hidden. Doesn't change the fact that I have a stand alone DVD player, a PS2, an Xbox, and 3 PCs all with DVD drives the same room.

Congratulations on your shitty convoluted media room. I'm different, I want one device that supports the majority of my multimedia needs not several. If you feel the need to have all that shit then good on you.

Seriously man...you're jumpin over the line from a little nutty to ****in' goofy.

Here is the Wii, slick photo editor, built in BBS support, avatar creator, weather service, internet, calendar etc and yet I still have to rely on other machines whenever I want to watch a movie? Huh? That's ****ing goofy is it? The hardware is all there and there is no justification for not allowing the user to buy an additional dongle to support DVD movie playback.

Hyjinx

gutter_trash said:
Discussion about DVD playback with Jive Turkey and reminissing about 1999/2000?
You are named after a game that is about backtracking, why don't you backtrack a few posts and read?

OH SNAP!

Actually the argument against HD-DVD and BluRay is a simple one. DVD introduced a better picture and convienence for consumers, no more ruining tapes, no more rewinding, going to the exact chapter you want. The next gen discs yes look better for the small populous that has HD-TV. But besides that they offer nothing new consumers care about. The only thing most consumers will notice is that this new format costs $50+ a movie. (Google search for Fox's new BluRay line up if you want.) That will keep bluray at bay for a while.

If you can store downloaded VC games on a SD card, what stops you from sharing (copying) them with your friends? How would Nintendo stop this, since this could be a major loss of profit for them? I'm not sure if this question was already answered.

gutter_trash said:
You are named after a game that is about backtracking, why don't you backtrack a few posts and read?

Holy shit. ETHER:lol

Hyjinx

xabre said:
Congratulations on your shitty convoluted media room. I'm different, I want one device that supports the majority of my multimedia needs not several. If you feel the need to have all that shit then good on you.

Here is the Wii, slick photo editor, built in BBS support, avatar creator, weather service, internet, calendar etc and yet I still have to rely on other machines whenever I want to watch a movie? Huh? That's ****ing goofy is it? The hardware is all there and there is no justification for not allowing the user to buy an additional dongle to support DVD movie playback.

Damn guys...he's right...

Well you could just vote with your dollars and go Wii-less. Xbox360 does DVD playback right? It only costs $150 more.

Seriously though, I don't want another DVD player, the Wii does all this extra stuff that I kinda do want. I'm sure in some situation in the future I'll be in a situation where I only have my Wii and a DVD disc to watch but I'll have to suck it up and go outside and read a book.

Think about it, folks. Theoretically, Nintendo still has the option of offering DVD support through a software download in the future through the Shopping Channel, just like the Opera browser. Who needs a dongle sent through retail?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Nameless said:
I think its more principle than anything. They're already charging us $250 for last generation hardware, the wii-motes are insanely expensives, the game they're packing in, only internet board nintendo fans want, DVD playback SHOULD be in. And you never know, I have a stand-alone DVD Player, but there have been times when my the DVD Playback in my PS2 and Xbox became VERY handy.

as far as consoles are concerned.. the wii is not last gen technology. its more powerful than anything out last gen, and the wiimote is definitely not last gen.

Saoh

gutter_trash said:

:lol i can feel the bitch-slapping

I just don't understand how anyone can give a shit about DVD playability in the first place.

The haters on this system are really starting to get truly annoying, and it's obvious they're outnumbered.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
xabre said:

:lol You are 100% certifiable. Buy your PS3, masturbate to your all in one machine and be done with it!

Mike Works said:
Cleanliness??

Do your DVD players emit farts or something :lol
:lol :lol :lol

BrandNew said:
I just don't understand how anyone can give a shit about DVD playability in the first place.

The haters on this system are really starting to get truly annoying, and it's obvious they're outnumbered.

Amen. They just come out to say "look how dumb I can post" then dig the hole deeper.

i'm not a hater, I'm buying one when Mario Galaxy shows up.

i'm just reminding what happened in the year 2000 when one console had it and the other didn't

sprocket

Banned
DVD play b ack will probably come down the raod through a down load like the web browser ..

Or you might get a home brew download .. it can web surf you know .. people will find a way ..

or you could take $20 to target and wlamart and pick one up /freak

xabre

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
Think about it, folks. Theoretically, Nintendo still has the option of offering DVD support through a software download in the future through the Shopping Channel, just like the Opera browser. Who needs a dongle sent through retail?

Logical but apparently all too hard for poor cash strapped Nintendo. I guess I'll wait until the machines been hacked to the shithouse ala DS and has fully fledged media player and streaming support.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Mr. E. Yis said:
If you can store downloaded VC games on a SD card, what stops you from sharing (copying) them with your friends? How would Nintendo stop this, since this could be a major loss of profit for them? I'm not sure if this question was already answered.
Each Wii could have a unique identifier that's embedded into the game when it's downloaded so it only plays on that Wii. DRM FTW!

For the people arguing about DVD playback, go buy a $30 DVD player and get everything the Wii would've done (if they kept it in) but with better audio.

Dracos

New news has slowed down so this is the time the haters can attack. The fear and insecurity has been welling up since late last night. Gotta let it out somehow I guess.

My god please don't let the Wii dominate like the DS. If it does, alot of people will totally crack. Crime will shoot up, and crazy children will be conceived.

sprocket

Banned
Fuzzy said:
Each Wii could have a unique identifier that's embedded into the game when it's downloaded so it only plays on that Wii.

they you could buy a new wii and still play you VC game you paid for .. its probably an account thing ..

Without having to go back through everything can someone clarify if this is right?

Zelda (launch)
Mario Galaxy (launch)
Metroid Prime 3 (2007)

Preeche......

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
siamesedreamer said:
Without having to go back through everything can someone clarify if this is right?

Zelda (launch)
Mario Galaxy (launch)
Metroid Prime 3 (2007)

Preeche......
Hate to be the one to break the news...:\

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
sprocket said:
they you could buy a new wii and still play you VC game you paid for .. its probably an account thing ..
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if we could only play VC games while the Wii was online.

gutter_trash said:
i'm not a hater, I'm buying one when Mario Galaxy shows up.

i'm just reminding what happened in the year 2000 when one console had it and the other didn't
YOU ARE STUPID

I WAS GOING TO WRITE UP A COUPLE OF PARAGRAPHS AS TO HOW THAT'S ONE OF THE MOST INSIGNIFICANT PARALLELS YOU CAN DRAW AND WHY, BUT INSTEAD I'M JUST GOING TO CALL YOU STUPID

HEY REMEMBER HOW EVERYONE WAS FREAKED OUT ABOUT Y2K IN 1999, WELL I GUESS WE'D BETTER START HOARDING TOILET PAPER AND CANNED GOODS AGAIN, CAUSE THA INTERNETS EXPLODIN AGIN, MA!

DVD playback is really, really a non-factor in ****ing late 2006- that is unless you have an issue with cleanliness like that one guy, and don't like having 6 DVD players walking around your media room at night, humping and pooping all over the rug.

temp

posting on contract only
siamesedreamer said:

Zelda (launch)
Mario Galaxy (launch)
Metroid Prime 3 (2007)

Preeche......
Everyone who won't be horribly let down please step forward. Not so fast, siamesedreamer.

Fuzzy said:
Each Wii could have a unique identifier that's embedded into the game when it's downloaded so it only plays on that Wii. DRM FTW!

I guess that's probably how it's going to work. But that's what sucks about digital downloads instead of real discs. If your system dies, all the downloaded games you bought go down with it. :(

Anyway, so far it's been entertaining. I was hoping for $199, but none of the prices was unexpected for me. $15 for the classic controller is also a good thing, and the VC pricings are average.

My list for launch is:

Wii and Sports game- $250
controller and nunchuck- 60
zelda- 50
METAL SLUG ****in' ANTHOLOGY - 50 (all you sleepers better recognize)
excite truck- 50
Total-- $460

Flo_Evans

Its not that I need another DVD player, its the fact that nintendo is bragging to rueters that they will make a profit day 1 with the wii and yet DVD playback is too expensive to include?

The photo viewing is pretty much worthless if it does't support external usb drives or some sort of networking either. I have over 10 gigs of digital photos, why the hell would I want to bother with transfering those to SD cards?

No mario at launch is kinda souring me on the whole deal.

ugg, I keep going back and forth between 'I want it NOW!' and "**** this shit!" :lol

newsguy

krypt0nian said:
Amen. They just come out to say "look how dumb I can post" then dig the hole deeper.

Well, to be fair, anyone who's simply buying a Wii and nothing else couldn't care less about picture quality. Maybe these people rely on the shitty quality these console DVD players produce. When the games themselves aren't HD (and some not even 16:9) it's hard to believe these people would dish out money for a standalone DVD player or *GASP* BR, HD DVD player.

Mike Works said:
YOU ARE STUPID

I WAS GOING TO WRITE UP A COUPLE OF PARAGRAPHS AS TO HOW THAT'S ONE OF THE MOST INSIGNIFICANT PARALLELS YOU CAN DRAW AND WHY, BUT INSTEAD I'M JUST GOING TO CALL YOU STUPID

HEY REMEMBER HOW EVERYONE WAS FREAKED OUT ABOUT Y2K IN 1999, WELL I GUESS WE'D BETTER START HOARDING TOILET PAPER AND CANNED GOODS AGAIN, CAUSE THA INTERNETS EXPLODIN AGIN, MA!

DVD playback is really, really a non-factor in ****ing late 2006- that is unless you have an issue with cleanliness like that one guy, and don't like having 6 DVD players walking around your media room at night, humping and pooping all over the rug.

my DVD player is broke, and my current DVD players are my PS2 now and I won't buy another DVD player in the near future since I'm buying two consoles by Spring.

call me cheap ass, but I'm reserving money for two consoles and it helps of these wireless controllered things has it because I'm tired of my PS2 Dual Shock with a cord as remote

Mr. E. Yis said:
I guess that's probably how it's going to work. But that's what sucks about digital downloads instead of real discs. If your system dies, all the downloaded games you bought go down with it. :(

Kaplan detailed earlier that it would go off of an account. Meaning that if you Wii dies and you have to get a new one you could re download all the games you had purchased at no charge.

Particle Physicist

Fuzzy said:
But will Nintendo still let us play our downloaded VC games on the Wii when they've moved on to the next console? :(

yes. its tied to your account.. not your wii. hehehe.

there was a q&a at the event and this was mentioned.

xabre

Banned
Mike Works said:

No it's not a non-factor it's a ****ing pain in the arse, that's what it is.

Particle Physicist

TheGreatDave said:
Wait, some blind guy has a copy of Twilight Princess?

Find out where he lives and send round the troops.

some blind guy? this kid is a true life Daredevil.. he just needs martial arts training.. bulk up a bit. and bam.. his name even sounds like its straight out of a comic book.

Nameless said:
Did you break into Nintendo HQ and rip that straight off a mission statement? This whole thing about Nintendo "not competing" against Sony and MS is only an attempt to hide the truth that they probably can't. From a technical standpoint Nintendo has always been slow, and tha fact has gotten harder and harder to hide. So instead they are trying to immerse people by the 'unique' experience that the wii-mote will offer, instead of using the advancements in gaming technology to do so.

How you know there not using the advancements in gaming technology, who say's the advancements in gaming technology is centered around silicon? Neither one of us know what the Wii is capable of, also Nintendo doesn't have to use what is basically PC technology(PS3/360) to acheive many of the graphical features present in next-gen hardware.

Amir0x

Banned
Was this answered yet (even I don't know):

Will I be able to play Virtual Console titles with gamecube controller, at the very least?

Yea, I'll say it......Console DVD players are for people who don't like DVD's.

"While I must have the most graphics capable game system available, I will settle for nothing less than third rate DVD playback through said gaming console.":)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Amir0x said:

Will I be able to play Virtual Console titles with gamecube controller, at the very least?

I don't think anybody in the media has asked that question. At the very least there is that classic controller shell.

Polari

Amir0x said:

I don't think this has been confirmed yet. I certainly hope so though.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
LMAO at these pretend intellectuals waxing about sound business decisions. Only in magical happy videogameland is a hardware manufacturer expected to take a loss.

Imagine this line of thought in any other industry and you'll realize how absurd it is.

Look to the ipod and you will find your answer. If Nintendo brings their product out but it is perceived as cheaply made because its priced under expectations, it won't catch on. Part of iPod's continued success over better made products at a cheaper price is because of the perceived value, not actual value. Everyone KNOWS that if you have an ipod you spent money. Like a pair of nike air jordans back in the day. It's a status symbol. A lifestyle.

Or look to the PS3--It's technology that might very well be bleeding-edge but the world may not be ready for it (look to the sound/music industry for examples like DAT). They could end up losing both ways--not only buy losing money on each console made, but also by pricing themselves out of the market. It's a lose-lose situation and Sony has to be scared right now.

The trick is to find that magic middle number where the price is just outside of the majority of markets so that value is perceived, while not being so overpriced that it creates a barrier to entry, and at the same time raising awareness to the coveted status symbol or "with-it" crowd.

Some of you going on and on about how awful this price is might very well be justified in comparison to other less fiscally (and marketably) sound institutions, but those opinions really are just personal and have no basis in reality. A marketing/advertising class would help you learn some of this.

Amir0x

Banned
right right, that's more money though. if i go through with my pre-order, the system is already 50 dollars more than i budgeted for so cutting corners is good

Top Bottom