• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

Joeholley said:
I know this could never happen. Announcements have been made, promises, etc etc. But I can still dream of Nintendo launching an awesome new system called 'Revolution'. With a motion-sensing controller and graphics slightly better than the best we've seen from the Xbox, but at a price point that made it irresistable... say $150. With casual gamers flocking in at the low price point and to experience the new novel controller, everything could have blown sky high and we could have had dozens of awesome new control ideas being flung around, creating new genres and shaking things up. All while leaving the established PS3/X360 market essentially alone by blazing a new trail.

Yeah, that dream is dead. Thanks Nintendo. I had great hopes and you shat on them viciously.

So Nintendo blew it.

Dammit, where's my rolleyes.gif or an amusing Photoshop that conveys a similar point?

Amir0x

Banned
Joeholly i was trying to save you pain actually.

I agree, Nintendo made a really stupid choice here... but, heh, that post is a bit...

PolyGone

Banned
Joeholley said:
I guess I'll post this here, although the whole point of making a new thread was that someone would actually SEE the post and like... uh... REPLY to it with THEIR OPINIONS. Here, it will be buried in the already-43-pages-of-stuff. Whatever.

Since it seems the price seems to be what turned you off, let me repeat what I said earlier in this thread:

pricing it at $250 gives them elbow room to reduce the price as the years go by (any cheaper and we're getting into PSP/DS territory which is a little soon for what you are getting), while simultaneously preventing it from being viewed as a cheap children's toy (something it is not).

And as far as the name is concerned, the name differentiates it from the competition unlike the last generation (you won't have someone asking for a gamebox or a gamestation at the local EB/Gamestop only to be sold on the competition - "Oh, you mean an xbox? You mean a PlayStation?"). So I think the name serves its purpose.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Amir0x said:

I agree, Nintendo made a really stupid choice here... but, heh, that post is a bit...

How could this happen to me
I've made my mistakes
got nowhere to run
The night goes on as I’m fading away
I'm sick of this life
I just wanna scream
How could this happen to me!!!!!

Firestorm

Terrell said:
You MUST be from Saskatchewan, only us prairie boys hate Alberta that much. :lol
But yeah, I STILL don't understand what MS is doing with their pricing... except acting like they're stuck in the 90s.

Nah, I'm BC =P Vancouver FTW! Just 10 minutes away from Nintendo of Canada by car actually.

Yes Captain N, it's Canadian pricing. USA is still $250.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Amir0x said:

I think the word is melodramatic.

BooJoh

Joeholley said:
I guess I'll post this here, although the whole point of making a new thread was that someone would actually SEE the post and like... uh... REPLY to it with THEIR OPINIONS. Here, it will be buried in the already-43-pages-of-stuff. Whatever.
My opinion: :lol :lol :lol :lol

You killed your own dreams by expecting a $150 price point, sorry.

I know this could never happen. Announcements have been made, promises, etc etc. But I can still dream of Nintendo launching an awesome new system called 'Revolution'. With a motion-sensing controller and graphics slightly better than the best we've seen from the Xbox, but at a price point that made it irresistable... say $150.

Did people honestly believe Nintendo would release the Wii for 20 dollars more than the DS?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Joeholley said:
...A sea of bitter fanboy tears...
So you actually expected Wii to come out of the gates at $150?

I'm not thrilled with the pricepoint either but it sounds like you were trying really hard to disappoint yourself.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Going by the US launch list I'd probably get Zelda, Excite Truck, Rayman (can't resist them bunnies) and maaaaybe Trauma Center pending reviews (ie how much it offers over the DS version etc).

Can someone repost the JP launch list?

And the chances of Europe getting a worthy launch game that the other regions won't have? Hah.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SolidSnakex said:
Did people honestly believe Nintendo would release the Wii for 20 dollars mothan the DS?

The sad part is some people actually did believe or at least hope for $150.

koam

What ever happened to Hereos?

Oh and a bit off topic, anyone willing to wager a PS3 that there will be at least 2 new Red Steel SKUs next fiscal year? *wink*

Amir0x

Banned
yeah $150 always seemed a little crazy that's why i always joshed soundwave05 over that silly opinion.

...$199, though, didn't seem too crazy!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
SolidSnakex said:
Did people honestly believe Nintendo would release the Wii for 20 dollars mothan the DS?

but but but $99 is the "mass consumer pricepoint"!

*bursts out laughing* :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
koam said:
What ever happened to Hereos?

Oh and a bit off topic, anyone willing to wager a PS3 that there will be at least 2 new Red Steel SKUs next fiscal year? *wink*

Sucker bet.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
SolidSnakex said:

No. They listened to a couple posters in particular that keep reasserting that this is a GameCube with a new controller. All this time they've been going "bu-bu-but it's just a GC turbo!!" while everyone else was convinced it was much more. Now they're surprised its priced like it is? :lol

effzee

Shard said:

not only that but a crowd of ppl believed 200 with 2 wiimotes and nunchucks.

i wonder if the those who complained about the 230 price would mind it now?

Thaedolus

Shard said:

I agree. While it would have been nice, honestly I'll take 250 and be happy with it. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy Wiisports, Zelda and Excite Truck on launch day. I've got a job, and 350 for a console with three games when I could be spending 400 on an X360 alone sounds reasonable for me.

But then again, I wasn't (stupidly) expecting Nintendo to pull a rabbit out of their ass and come in handheld pricing range.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Joeholley said:

237019791_4d3958ce52_m.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Amir0x said:
yeah $150 always seemed a little crazy that's why i always joshed soundwave05 over that silly opinion.

it should have been at 199 if it werent for that Wii Sport pack in.

they'll probably drop the bundle by spring 2007 hopefully.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Amir0x said:

Yeah, no doubt. I was kinda expecting $229, but I didn't realize the different functions that were packed in. And I like the idea of a pack-in game like WiiSports. It reminds me of my very first Nintendo, with SMB/DuckHunt.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Thaedolus said:
I agree. While it would have been nice, honestly I'll take 250 and be happy with it. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy Wiisports, Zelda and Excite Truck on launch day. I've got a job, and 350 for a console with three games when I could be spending 400 on an X360 alone sounds reasonable for me.

But then again, I wasn't (stupidly) expecting Nintendo to pull a rabbit out of their ass and come in handheld pricing range.

Having a job is the key to not being a ****ing whiner about a 25000 yen price point.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
PantherLotus said:
Yeah, no doubt. I was kinda expecting $229, but I didn't realize the different functions that were packed in. And I like the idea of a pack-in game like WiiSports. It reminds me of my very first Nintendo, with SMB/DuckHunt.

As I said before, I miss the days of pack-in games.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tempy said:
Going by the US launch list I'd probably get Zelda, Excite Truck, Rayman (can't resist them bunnies) and maaaaybe Trauma Center pending reviews (ie how much it offers over the DS version etc).

Can someone repost the JP launch list?

And the chances of Europe getting a worthy launch game that the other regions won't have? Hah.

JP Launch List from 1UP.com

Japanese Launch Titles

* Choushittou Caduceus NEO (Trauma Center: Second Opinion) (Atlus)
* Elebits (Konami)
* Necro-Nesia (Spike)
* Super Monkey Ball: Uki Uki Party Daishuugou (Sega)
* Swing Golf Panya (Tecmo)
* Wing Island (Hudson)
* Kororinpa (Hudson)
* SD Gundam Revolution (Namco Bandai)
* Tatsujin Festival (Namco Bandai)
* Tamagotchi no Pika Pika Daitouryou! (Namco Bandai)
* Red Steel (Ubi)
* Wii Sports (Nintendo)
* Odoru Made in Wario (WarioWare Smooth Moves) (Nintendo)
* The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
* Hajimete no Wii (Nintendo)

Joeholley

Amir0x said:

Yes, yes, inflammatory. I've already been reprimanded by multiple other people, as I'm sure you've noticed. :lol No harm in doing your job, mate.

Shard said:

It's a nice thought and all but not all that realistic. Given that Nintendo will be turning profit right off the bat from the system they might be able to get the price down faster than normal. Although I doubt it'll be from 250->150. But if it sells like the DS that probably won't even happen for awhile even if they can drop the price.

Joeholley

SolidSnakex said:
Did people honestly believe Nintendo would release the Wii for 20 dollars more than the DS?

Nope. Actually was leaning heavily towards a 200 dollar price point. I think that is exactly expensive enough to hit all the points a price needs to hit. It's still impulse-buyable by many people, is expensive enough to distinguish it from the child's toys, and offers a healthy profit for Nintendo. It made sense on pretty much every level, in fact. About the only reason to get within 50 dollars of the x360 with a system that the company themselves has said can't compete technologically is greed, as far as I can see. Oh wait, could be egotism as well.

BooJoh

Joeholley said:
Yes, yes, inflammatory. I've already been reprimanded by multiple other people, as I'm sure you've noticed. :lol No harm in doing your job, mate.
Now if we could just get you a "Nintendo killed my dreams" tag...

AniHawk

So basically Wii went from awesome to shit in 0.5 days.

-Overpriced
-accessories are overpriced
-too many accessories (You'll probably NEED a nunchuk if you buy the damn Wiimote wtf)
-No new compelling games for hardcore gamers (Although if nothing's delayed [hah!] 2007 looks to be pretty sweet)
-No one likes Wii Sports
-not eve Wii Sports likes Wii Sports
-Only 3 Nintendo games at launch
-Wii delays Zelda GC
-Wii makes Link right-handed (if you want him to be)
-Wii kills children and steals their souls
-Publishers don't like launch bundle
-Consumers don't like launch bundle
-overpriced
-IT'S $250!
-No DVD playback
-OVERPRICED

+interface!

«þ»

VOOK said:
European event is still like 5 hours away, no Aussie details will be shown then.

The Aussie details look like they wont be coming till next week now guys, but Im willing to wait it out till the end of the day and see whats on the Seven news.

Likely Aussie price is $349-$379 with Wiisports

$249.99 USD = 330.780 AUD

GameCube launched at $329.

I think it's possible that It could launch at $329. Come on Nintendo Australia! Give us a decent USD-AUD conversion like the DS!

pilonv1

AniHawk said:
So basically Wii went from awesome to shit in 0.5 days.

-Overpriced
-accessories are overpriced
-too many accessories (You'll probably NEED a nunchuk if you buy the damn Wiimote wtf)
-No new compelling games for hardcore gamers (Although if nothing's delayed [hah!] 2007 looks to be pretty sweet)
-No one likes Wii Sports
-not eve Wii Sports likes Wii Sports
-Only 3 Nintendo games at launch
-Wii delays Zelda GC
-Wii makes Link right-handed (if you want him to be)
-Wii kills children and steals their souls
-Publishers don't like launch bundle
-Consumers don't like launch bundle
-overpriced
-IT'S $250!
-No DVD playback
-OVERPRICED

+interface!

It's just falling into place with the other consoles that had the same backlash. First 12-24hours = delusions of grandeur from fanboys, 24hrs-1week = backlash from opposing fanboys. It will even out eventually.

Top Bottom