• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

13:01 - Aha! Satoru Shibata, president of Nintendo Europe has just jumped on stage. Not literally. He's talking about the DS and expansion still. Just in case we hadn't already got the message. WII WII WII WII. Please.

8bit

Knows the Score
Is the eurogamer feed dead?

--

13:02 - We're still on the subject of the DS, just in case you thought something might have changed in the last minute. Brain Training, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing - all expanding and redefining audiences. Do you even need me to keep typing about this? I might put my feet up for a bit. Or make up something about the Wii price and date. Actually no, I'd be lynched.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
9.jpg

8bit

Knows the Score
So here's what it is: gamers, non-gamers, and gamers who gave up on gaming saying they like the Wii.

"Please welcome your hose for today... Gabby Logan."

gabby%20logan%202(1).jpg

Gabby isn't a gaming fan, but she's excited anyway. Laurent Fischer from Nintendo Europe comes on. "Can you really get me interested in gaming?" says Gab.

"How can you get me interested?" "Maybe you like sport.""I do." "Not everyone is playing games, because right now people see it as a narrow sort of activity."

Gaming landscape is changing, says Fishcer. Nintendo is creeping towards a 50/50 gender split. 44% are women. Best-selling title in last year sold to over-25s.

He's explaining the DS for the benefit of the mainstream press, I'm guessing. Did you know it has a touch screen? DID YOU?

Nintendo Europe President Satoru Shibata coming on to talk about DS.

"Thank you everybody for joining us today." He'd like to talk some more about DS before he talks about Wii, apparently.

Regardless of age. gender or past gaming experience, he reckons they can get people involved.

Touch generations software has helped get people interested, he says. Train your brain, learn English, walk a dog, etc. They want to "welcome women to gaming".

So here's what it is: gamers, non-gamers, and gamers who gave up on gaming saying they like the Wii.

Gabby isn't a gaming fan, but she's excited anyway. Laurent Fischer from Nintendo Europe comes on. "Can you really get me interested in gaming?" says Gab.

"How can you get me interested?" "Maybe you like sport.""I do." "Not everyone is playing games, because right now people see it as a narrow sort of activity."

Gaming landscape is changing, says Fishcer. Nintendo is creeping towards a 50/50 gender split. 44% are women. Best-selling title in last year sold to over-25s.

He's explaining the DS for the benefit of the mainstream press, I'm guessing. Did you know it has a touch screen? DID YOU?

"Thank you everybody for joining us today." He'd like to talk some more about DS before he talks about Wii, apparently.

Regardless of age. gender or past gaming experience, he reckons they can get people involved.

Touch generations software has helped get people interested, he says. Train your brain, learn English, walk a dog, etc. They want to "welcome women to gaming".

eurogamer 13:06.15 -

13:02 - We're still on the subject of the DS, just in case you thought something might have changed in the last minute. Brain Training, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing - all expanding and redefining audiences. Do you even need me to keep typing about this? I might put my feet up for a bit. Or make up something about the Wii price and date. Actually no, I'd be lynched.

13:05 - We're now onto the subject of sales. How Nintendo is going again the norm with game launches with games like Brain Training showing incredible logetivity on shelves, rather than peaking at launch. Something blah blah blah, Brain Training. I wish I hadn't drunk so much juice before this thing started.

-
Nintendogs: 4 million in Europe alone. 60, 000 sold a week even now. Responsible for the upsurge in women gamers on the DS he says.

Brain Training: half of the owners are over 26 years old, he says, which is very unusual.

In Japan, the series sold over 5 million copies since May 2005. In nine weeks it's sold 500k in Europe, which took 17 weeks in Japan, he says.

In Germany, Brain Training is on top of the charts two months after launch, he tells us. DS software has dominated European charts in July and August.

He's showing Nintendo's favourite graph: the one that shows sales spiking in later weeks, and not just big sales in the first week that tail off.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Guys Im getting the Feed from Euro Gamer and other sites lol!

And I heard the Smash BRos rumour on here! GAF Crashed my Site :(

07:10.59 -"Our strategy is paying off."

Graph: DS sales account for 70% of handheld sales accross Europe.

More than 100k were consistently sold every week, he says. DS has now reached over 6 million people in Europe alone.

10 million sales predicted by the end of 2006. Says to look forward to Sudoku, English Training, Starfox, Yoshi Island 2, and Pokemon Dungeon.

Rlan

Both the Lepzig and this conference prove just how much funnier Euro games press can be in comparison to the US press :)

8bit

Knows the Score
Scalemail Ted said:
-

Brain Training: half of the owners are over 26 years old, he says, which is very unusual.

They only think that because the users can't say blue properly.

--

"In the very near future we'll be launching another console that will go even further in making games accessible and fun for everyone."

Gabby's back. Introducing Wii Sports' boxing game. Shibata's going to play against Iwata, who they say is actually in Japan.

A hologram of your player in front of you, jabbing with the Wii remote and Nunchuck.

13:08 - Apparently Nitnendo DS now accounts for 70% of all handheld sales in Europe - it's the "undisputed heavyweight of handhelds, apparently. Over 6 million people have a DS in Europe too. New titles on the way: Sudoku, Club Classics, English Training, Starfox and something else. Not that we didn't already know that.

13:10 - Aha! We're onto the Wii now! Oh, well I thought we were. Shibata just left the stage. Ah! Logan is back and we're about to see Wii Boxing in Wii Sport for the first time. Literally, my knickers just went damp. Apparently, Shibata is going to take on Iwata! One round in the ring!

Oooh this is quite good. You punch and jab with the Wiimote and guard by holding the nunchuck and remote close to you. AAAAAND Satoru Iwata has just come on stage to tell Shibata off - it was all big comedy ruse!

07:12.06 -
"In the very near future we'll be launching another console that will go even further in making games accessible and fun for everyone."

Gabby's back. Introducing Wii Sports' boxing game. Shibata's going to play against Iwata, who they say is actually in Japan.

A hologram of your player in front of you, jabbing with the Wii remote and Nunchuck.

SlayrUK

Ah! Logan is back and we're about to see Wii Boxing in Wii Sport for the first time. Literally, my knickers just went damp. Apparently, Shibata is going to take on Iwata! One round in the ring!

:lol :lol

Sad_Panda

13:10 - Aha! We're onto the Wii now! Oh, well I thought we were. Shibata just left the stage. Ah! Logan is back and we're about to see Wii Boxing in Wii Sport for the first time. Literally, my knickers just went damp. Apparently, Shibata is going to take on Iwata! One round in the ring!

Oooh this is quite good. You punch and jab with the Wiimote and guard by holding the nunchuck and remote close to you. AAAAAND Satoru Iwata has just come on stage to tell Shibata off - it was all big comedy ruse!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Wii Sports is online? Playing boxing vs someone in Japan from UK?

"Gabby's back. Introducing Wii Sports' boxing game. Shibata's going to play against Iwata, who they say is actually in Japan"

13:12.06 -

GAHIGGIDY VINDICATED!

SlayrUK

kaizoku said:

"Gabby's back. Introducing Wii Sports' boxing game. Shibata's going to play against Iwata, who they say is actually in Japan"
AAAAAND Satoru Iwata has just come on stage to tell Shibata off - it was all big comedy ruse!

Hes there sorry...

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
kaizoku said:

ruse

Amir0x

Banned
kaizoku said:

No, it was a joke as Iwata comes out to 'scold' Shibata seconds later. Apparently, online gaming is a joke to Nintendo ;)

07:14.18 -
Aha! And Satoru Iwata's walked on behind him. "And this is what goes on when you think I'm away."

"I woke up many hours ago and many thousands of miles away, so I assure you I won't take any more time than necessary to share my thoughts."

Top Bottom