• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

kaizoku said:
Wii Sports is online? Playing boxing vs someone in Japan from UK?

"Gabby's back. Introducing Wii Sports' boxing game. Shibata's going to play against Iwata, who they say is actually in Japan"

That was a joke, Iwata is there.

Xzbeat

Scalemail Ted said:
07:10.59 -"Our strategy is paying off."

Graph: DS sales account for 70% of handheld sales accross Europe.

More than 100k were consistently sold every week, he says. DS has now reached over 6 million people in Europe alone.

10 million sales predicted by the end of 2006. Says to look forward to Sudoku, English Training, Starfox, Yoshi Island 2, and Pokemon Dungeon.
Wait... 70% market share? then what were those sony numbers? shipped psp?

07:15.35 -
He points to four significant moments of introducing products that changed things. 1) DS. 2) Touch! Generations games.

07:14.40 -
He's talking about the very-old days of working out what to do after the NES. The same questions have continued ever since, he says.

He says we've been focused on tech up to now. I think I've typed him saying that at about 15 different conferences now.

"I woke up many hours ago and many thousands of miles away, so I assure you I won't take any more time than necessary to share my thoughts."

translation, I've been on a ****ing plane all ****ing day so I'll make this quick so I can go get pissed.

i betcha that really all they do at NOE is play Wii boxing and have a good lol as they punch various NCL and NOA execs in the face

"hahaha i just kicked reggies ass and took his name... take THAT NOA!"

SlayrUK

Captain AHat said:
i betcha that really all they do at NOE is play Wii boxing and have a good lol as they punch various NCL and NOA execs in the face

"hahaha i just kicked reggies ass and took his name... take THAT NOA!"

:lol

07:17.15 -
He loves him some Touch! Generations. Because they're not just escapism. Right. 3) Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

07:16.25 -
He loves him some Touch! Generations. Because they're not just escapism. Right. 3) Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MrPing1000 said:
translation, I've been on a ****ing plane all ****ing day so I'll make this quick so I can go get pissed.

he'll have been in business class in a comfy seat, having a sleep and getting pissed already.

07:19.51 -
4) Most dramatic: the hands-on with the Wii control in LA at E3 2006. "For us, that was a huge week."

Each moment represents a bridge to the majority of people who don't play games, he says. Today introduces a fifth step.

Xzbeat

sangreal said:
If you are talking about the numbers I think you are, those were for spain only
Well at the Leipzig GC Sony reported that they sold 4.5M PSP in Europe. IF DS = 70% of handheld market that's impossible.

"4) Most dramatic: the hands-on with the Wii control in LA at E3 2006. "For us, that was a huge week."

Each moment represents a bridge to the majority of people who don't play games, he says. Today introduces a fifth step."

Hopefully the date will be announced soon.

13:11 - Iwata is talking about how, since the introduction of games in 1983, the market has been thinking about how they can improve our experiences. Generally, the consensus has been to improve technology, but NO! Not Nintendo! Yes, it's is 'disruptive technologies' speech again.

Iwata says there've been four significant moments when Nintendo introduced new products to the market: DS - with its unique interface. Milestone two - the Touch Generations product line, "An entire different form of gameplay with alternate appeal". Traditionally, games were based on a form of escape - Touch Generations don't replace real-life, they go along with it. I'm just writing what he says, incidentally. Something to do before that OMFG WII ANNOUNCEMMENENENTTT!!1

Oh, thing three: Nintendo Wi-fi Connection then four: people playing Wii at E3.

13:16 - Today, says Iwata, it's time to introduce the fifth mileston in Nintendo's strategy - the Wii Channel. And the offers a much tougher sell for Nintendo. Games consoles don't travel see! So generally, they're only seen by the people who live under that roof. Iwata says, to expand console audience, Nintendo started by increasing the number of gamers playing in one household.

When the Wii is first turned on, they'll see the Wii channel page. First up is the Disc Channel, used to access either Wii or GameCube titles. Now he's going through things like the photo software designed to offer "simple organisation and manipulation of photos".

8bit

Knows the Score
13:11 - Iwata is talking about how, since the introduction of games in 1983, the market has been thinking about how they can improve our experiences. Generally, the consensus has been to improve technology, but NO! Not Nintendo! Yes, it's is 'disruptive technologies' speech again.

Iwata says there've been four significant moments when Nintendo introduced new products to the market: DS - with its unique interface. Milestone two - the Touch Generations product line, "An entire different form of gameplay with alternate appeal". Traditionally, games were based on a form of escape - Touch Generations don't replace real-life, they go along with it. I'm just writing what he says, incidentally. Something to do before that OMFG WII ANNOUNCEMMENENENTTT!!1

Oh, thing three: Nintendo Wi-fi Connection then four: people playing Wii at E3.

13:16 - Today, says Iwata, it's time to introduce the fifth mileston in Nintendo's strategy - the Wii Channel. And the offers a much tougher sell for Nintendo. Games consoles don't travel see! So generally, they're only seen by the people who live under that roof. Iwata says, to expand console audience, Nintendo started by increasing the number of gamers playing in one household.

When the Wii is first turned on, they'll see the Wii channel page. First up is the Disc Channel, used to access either Wii or GameCube titles. Now he's going through things like the photo software designed to offer "simple organisation and manipulation of photos".

Roders5 said:
How does over 6 million compare with what we use in sales arguing threads?

A little bit lower than expected (I actually thought that the european number would be ~6.5m by now). But the 10m till the end of the year expectation looks pretty optimistic to me.

Xzbeat said:
Wait... 70% market share? then what were those sony numbers? shipped psp?

It's possible that this 70% market share thing was only true for one week or a few weeks, for example the period from DS Lite launch till now. Or of course ... well ... Sonys PSP numbers for Europe are bogus or include several other territories (even if this 70% thing doesn't include GBA [so the other 30% are all for PSP] it really doesn't work at all; DS hasn't got a 70% marketshare in either total sales or sales this year).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sunski said:
Why the hell did he fly over for this shit?
To say "there was a game that my company had created.. it was called Smash Bros., here is the new one that we are doing!"

GZ!

SlayrUK said:
WHY are Nintendo still dodging date/price announcment and moving straight onto Mii and Channels?

Im scared... :(

Because no-one really gives a damn about the rest. If they started with the price and launch date, half the hall would leave.

13:20 - Onto the Mii Channel - and idea that came about after the E3 Wii Tennis demo where everyone wanted to know of they'd be able to put their own faces into the game, as with Iwata's character.

Now onto the message board system, calender, weather channels and of course, the Internet Channel. Provided by Opera. Virtual Console now. Offering an "instant library" of games - 15 VC games available during launch period. Roughly 5-10 titles will be added per month. When purchased, always accessible and will become a new channel on the main screen.

WiiConnect 24 - constantly updated information while we sleep.

07:23.26 -
Just not immediately. Now he's talking about DS again and how accesible portables are. The Wii is analogous, he thinks.

"It was necessary to frame the appeal not just in terms of games, but in terms of the television and internet." That led to the 5th milestone: Wii channels.

Wii menu page contains four pages, each with 12 channel screens. Acces Cube/Wii software discs. Onboard photo software. Goal to provide simple editing.

Another channel "became a must after its reception in LA". The character creation stuff.

Same sort of stuff you can watch on Eurogamer TV - the caricature software "Mii".

07:21.42 -
Just not immediately. Now he's talking about DS again and how accesible portables are. The Wii is analogous, he thinks.

"It was necessary to frame the appeal not just in terms of games, but in terms of the television and internet." That led to the 5th milestone: Wii channels.

Wii menu page contains four pages, each with 12 channel screens. Acces Cube/Wii software discs. Onboard photo software. Goal to provide simple editing.

Another channel "became a must after its reception in LA". The character creation stuff.

Same sort of stuff you can watch on Eurogamer TV - the caricature software "Mii".

07:21.11 -
4) Most dramatic: the hands-on with the Wii control in LA at E3 2006. "For us, that was a huge week."

Each moment represents a bridge to the majority of people who don't play games, he says. Today introduces a fifth step.

07:19.51 -

13:20 - Onto the Mii Channel - and idea that came about after the E3 Wii Tennis demo where everyone wanted to know of they'd be able to put their own faces into the game, as with Iwata's character.

Now onto the message board system, calender, weather channels and of course, the Internet Channel. Provided by Opera. Virtual Console now. Offering an "instant library" of games - 15 VC games available during launch period. Roughly 5-10 titles will be added per month. When purchased, always accessible and will become a new channel on the main screen.

The VC number seems kinda low but it should be enough to keep busy for a while.

Top Bottom