• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Nintendo ABSOLUTELY OWN September? <all signs point to YES!>

Alcibiades

ok, so after a somewhat healthier August:

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=8492

it's time for Nintendo to show who's going to take charge this holiday season...

The September success will come for the following reasons hopefully:

1. Pikmin 2 will cause some waves, the impressions so far have been great, and the demo in the kiosks absolutely ROCK! Nintendo is kicking off it's holiday season with an innovative title that doesn't really compare to much else. Expect this to stand out from the normal flurry of traditional character franchises Nintendo puts out and to garner special attention. This looks to become quite a force this Christmas and should have strong sales throughou the holiday season, but it will hit most stores around September 1st. September will rock for Nintendo for a lot of reasons, but Pikmin 2 is the biggest factor.

2. POKEMON IS NOT DEAD. Pre-orders are already going strong for Pokemon FiLe (I reserved Leaf Green today to get that booklet). Pokemon RuSa is still going strong (outselling Halo in July), so Nintendo is going to have people going into retail stores for one of it's most popular franchises. Hopefully, kids notice that the only console with Pokemon on it (so they can battle w/ connectivity in glorious 3-d) is the Gamecube.

3. Donkey Konga is already causing a lot of buzz, people are definitely talking about this game. While Namco's Taiko game will lessen the exclusivity impact of this, I'm sure a lot of kids are going to want the one with the Donkey Kong theme, and with the GCN at only $99, parents might give in.

4. The Metroid Pack has been pretty successful from what I can tell (I actually demoed the game for customers twice where I work, supervisor/maganers actually let me bring games and component cables for hookup on big screen Toshiba HDTV. I took Prime, F-Zero, Mario Kart, and Smash Brothers, and sold a few systems letting consumers have try. F-Zero floored people for sure. Also, the only two times I hooked up Metroid to show cusomters some gameplay, they took the bundle, cool deal). Hopefuly word-of-mouth is spreading about this since it's limited time only.

5. Nintendo is starting it's commercials-with-edge thing for GCN now, so hopefully the system remains in the public eye with a "cool" perception.

So while Microsoft will have it's 2nd most important title of the year with Fable, and Sony has finally ended the "shortage" a couple of weeks ago, Nintendo is giving quite the effort this September as it marches into the holiday season.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Any month with a new Pokemon is a good month for Nintendo.

That said, are you going to do this every month?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
efralope said:
ok, so after a somewhat healthier August:

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=8492

it's time for Nintendo to show who's going to take charge this holiday season...

The September success will come for the following reasons hopefully:

1. Pikmin 2 will cause some waves, the impressions so far have been great, and the demo in the kiosks absolutely ROCK! Nintendo is kicking off it's holiday season with an innovative title that doesn't really compare to much else. Expect this to stand out from the normal flurry of traditional character franchises Nintendo puts out and to garner special attention. This looks to become quite a force this Christmas and should have strong sales throughou the holiday season, but it will hit most stores around September 1st. September will rock for Nintendo for a lot of reasons, but Pikmin 2 is the biggest factor.

2. POKEMON IS NOT DEAD. Pre-orders are already going strong for Pokemon FiLe (I reserved Leaf Green today to get that booklet). Pokemon RuSa is still going strong (outselling Halo in July), so Nintendo is going to have people going into retail stores for one of it's most popular franchises. Hopefully, kids notice that the only console with Pokemon on it (so they can battle w/ connectivity in glorious 3-d) is the Gamecube.

3. Donkey Konga is already causing a lot of buzz, people are definitely talking about this game. While Namco's Taiko game will lessen the exclusivity impact of this, I'm sure a lot of kids are going to want the one with the Donkey Kong theme, and with the GCN at only $99, parents might give in.

4. The Metroid Pack has been pretty successful from what I can tell (I actually demoed the game for customers twice where I work, supervisor/maganers actually let me bring games and component cables for hookup on big screen Toshiba HDTV. I took Prime, F-Zero, Mario Kart, and Smash Brothers, and sold a few systems letting consumers have try. F-Zero floored people for sure. Also, the only two times I hooked up Metroid to show cusomters some gameplay, they took the bundle, cool deal). Hopefuly word-of-mouth is spreading about this since it's limited time only.

5. Nintendo is starting it's commercials-with-edge thing for GCN now, so hopefully the system remains in the public eye with a "cool" perception.

So while Microsoft will have it's 2nd most important title of the year with Fable, and Sony has finally ended the "shortage" a couple of weeks ago, Nintendo is giving quite the effort this September as it marches into the holiday season.
I swear you sound like a PR. No kidding, just add a few TM here and there and you are done.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ok now that just about does it. You must have earned yourself a Nintendo Viral Marketer tag. Just out of interest, which agency does Nintendo use for web raiding?

king zell

Prine said:
Nintendo will do well, GameCube however will not meet expectations imo

Xbox and PS2 will still outsell it by a significant margin

he says the truth.. Nintendo with two systems (and soon three) can own every month.. but the GC is not doing very well in its own.. but maybe the period between Dec and March next year will be good for GC considering RE4 will be released Jan 11th and some new interest in GC will rise again

signet

Pikmin 2 vs :

Star Ocean Till the End of Time
Phantom Brave
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Gungrave: Overdose (only $14.99)
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Burnout 3: Takedown
Gradius V
Sly 2: Band of Thieves
Demon Stone
Star Wars Battlefront
KATAMARI DAMASHI
Blood Will Tell
Monster Hunter

or

Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
Burnout 3: Takedown
Syberia II
Yager
Fable
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
Star Wars Battlefront
SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom

just to name a few.

Sorry but the only thing that is debatable is if Sony or Microsoft owns September. Nintendo is dead last again.

Auron

I believe Nintendo will own this Holiday season, though September may be a little early. That being said, Microsoft will hold its own, and the loser will be Sony(compared to previous years). Awesome fourth quarter for Nintendo!

king zell

signet said:
Sorry but the only thing that is debatable is if Sony or Microsoft owns September. Nintendo is dead last again.

Nintendo is not only GC.. Nintendo = GC + GBA + NDS + all the million sellers and high quality games they make

signet

king zell said:
Nintendo is not only GC.. Nintendo = GC + GBA + NDS + all the million sellers and high quality games they make

Oh sorry I thought we were discussing the quality console release this month (pikmin 2 on GC and a rehash of Pokemon on the GBA yawn).

Well in any case MS is sure to own September, they make much more money than Nintendo.

evil ways

Of course Nintendo's going to have a great September, that's like saying a race car will do well in a 1 car racing competition, where there's nothing else going against it.

Watch Nintendo go back to getting bitchslapped in October and November, when GTA San Andreas, Halo 2, and MGS3 take charge.

Auron

signet said:
Oh sorry I thought we were discussing the quietly console release this month (pikmin 2 on GC and a rehash of Pokemon on the GBA yawn).

Well in any case MS is sure to own September, they make much more money than Nintendo.

Don't even start saying Pikmin 2 is all GameCube has for September. There is(according to IGN):

August 30, 2004
Carmen Sandiego: The Secret of the Stolen Drums
BAM! Entertainment

August 30, 2004
Pikmin 2
Nintendo

August 30, 2004
WWE Day of Reckoning
THQ

August 31, 2004
NASCAR 2005: Chase for the Cup
Electronic Arts

August 31, 2004
Street Racing Syndicate
Namco

September 2, 2004
Digimon Rumble Arena 2
Bandai

September 7, 2004
Fairly OddParents: Shadow Showdown
THQ

September 7, 2004
Terminator 3: The Redemption
Atari

September 7, 2004
Zoids: Legacy
Atari

September 13, 2004
Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Attack of the Twonkies
THQ

September 14, 2004
Bad Boys: Miami Takedown
Blitz Games

September 14, 2004
Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II Plus
SEGA

September 14, 2004
Power Rangers: Dino Thunder
THQ

September 15, 2004
Zoids: Battle Legends
Atari

September 19, 2004
World Championship Pool 2004
Jaleco Entertainment

September 20, 2004
Def Jam: Fight for NY
Electronic Arts

September 20, 2004
NHL 2005
Electronic Arts

September 20, 2004
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
Electronic Arts

September 21, 2004
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Capcom

September 21, 2004
Second Sight
Codemasters

September 22, 2004
X-Men Legends
Activision

September 27, 2004
Donkey Konga
Nintendo

September 27, 2004
DreamWorks' Shark Tale
Activision

September 28, 2004
Intellivision Lives!
Crave Entertainment

September 28, 2004
Puzzle Trouble
Crave Entertainment

GameCube holds it's own against the PS2/XBox releases.

signet

Auron said:
Don't even start saying Pikmin 2 is all GameCube has for September. There is(according to IGN):

August 30, 2004
BAM! Entertainment

August 30, 2004
Pikmin 2
Nintendo

August 30, 2004
WWE Day of Reckoning
THQ

August 31, 2004
Electronic Arts

August 31, 2004
Street Racing Syndicate
Namco

September 2, 2004
Digimon Rumble Arena 2
Bandai

September 7, 2004
THQ

September 7, 2004
Atari

September 7, 2004
Atari

September 13, 2004
THQ

September 14, 2004
Blitz Games

September 14, 2004
SEGA

September 14, 2004
THQ

September 15, 2004
Atari

September 19, 2004
Jaleco Entertainment

September 20, 2004
Electronic Arts

September 20, 2004
NHL 2005
Electronic Arts

September 20, 2004
Electronic Arts

September 21, 2004
Capcom

September 21, 2004
Second Sight
Codemasters

September 22, 2004
X-Men Legends
Activision

September 27, 2004
Donkey Konga
Nintendo

September 27, 2004
DreamWorks' Shark Tale
Activision

September 28, 2004
Intellivision Lives!
Crave Entertainment

September 28, 2004
Puzzle Trouble
Crave Entertainment

Sorry I missed Donkey Konga, I apologize. The rest are well...

B E N K E

They could do with some releases for Europe... It's starvation for cube owners over here for a long time. Wario Ware is released next week and then comes... Animal Crossing. October looks good though with Tales of Symphonia, Pikmin 2 and Donkey Konga. Of course, the other formats are pretty strong in october as well.

Che

Banned
signet said:
Oh sorry I thought we were discussing the quality console release this month (pikmin 2 on GC and a rehash of Pokemon on the GBA yawn).

This is a videogames forum.

madara

People are talking about playing bangos to move character? Hmm more 5 people like Samba? (even though enjoyed that one) Still I would taken DKC platformer over ten of these but to each their own, I guess making these takes alot less effort.

Brofist

Auron said:

August 30, 2004
BAM! Entertainment

August 30, 2004
Pikmin 2
Nintendo

August 30, 2004
WWE Day of Reckoning
THQ

August 31, 2004
Electronic Arts

August 31, 2004
Street Racing Syndicate
Namco

September 2, 2004
Digimon Rumble Arena 2
Bandai

September 7, 2004
THQ

September 7, 2004
Atari

September 7, 2004
Atari

September 13, 2004
THQ

September 14, 2004
Blitz Games

September 14, 2004
SEGA

September 14, 2004
THQ

September 15, 2004
Atari

September 19, 2004
Jaleco Entertainment

September 20, 2004
Electronic Arts

September 20, 2004
NHL 2005
Electronic Arts

September 20, 2004
Electronic Arts

September 21, 2004
Capcom

September 21, 2004
Second Sight
Codemasters

September 22, 2004
X-Men Legends
Activision

September 27, 2004
Donkey Konga
Nintendo

September 27, 2004
DreamWorks' Shark Tale
Activision

September 28, 2004
Intellivision Lives!
Crave Entertainment

September 28, 2004
Puzzle Trouble
Crave Entertainment

You did not just post that list of crap trying to actually impress anyone I hope.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gradius V
KATAMARI DAMASHII

This is all I need for September (and Half-Life 2 if that damn November release date is not actually correct).

dark10x said:
Gradius V
KATAMARI DAMASHII

This is all I need for September (and Half-Life 2 if that damn November release date is not actually correct).

You must get SMT3! :)

snapty00

Banned
Pikmin 2 will perform decently, and Pokemon will sell extremely well. Other than that, though, I don't think Nintendo has much going for it right now. All those other September games for GameCube are meh.

geogaddi

Banned
hype! hype hype! hype! hype hype! hype! hype hype!
C'mon IGN6—I mean—IGNCube Staff! Lets stimulate the masses!
hype! hype hype! hype! hype hype! hype! hype hype!

Chittagong

Gold Member
:lol, this thread is absulute viral marketer ownage.

Actually - although Xbox has been my chosen one since last Autumn, it really looks like PS2 will own me come September.

Silent Hill 4 + Gradius V + Katamari Damacy + Star Ocean = my credit cards will be cut in two pieces

Sure, I'll get Pikmin 2 and anticipate it a lot, but seriously, that GC list is full of crap.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Chittagong said:
:lol, this thread is absulute viral marketer ownage.

Actually - although Xbox has been my chosen one since last Autumn, it really looks like PS2 will own me come September.

Silent Hill 4 + Gradius V + Katamari Damacy + Star Ocean = my credit cards will be cut in two pieces

Sure, I'll get Pikmin 2 and anticipate it a lot, but seriously, that GC list is full of crap.

Well, Katamari is only $20 and Gradius is only $30...so that helps right there. Plus, both SO3 and SH4 are $40 games.

The GC will have a better month than they did in July, but they aren't going to own the month or anyone else. The sales will still come out the same (PS2 > Xbox > GC).

Renegade

Banned
WTF ARE you all SMOKING OMG BBQ

Nintendo will abo=solutely RULE YOUR ASS 4th quarter

They have the MOST INNOVATIVE GAME with BONGOS

They have the SEQUEL to the BIGGEST, MOST INNOVATIVE, MOST INFLUENTIAL and BEST GAME THIS GENERATION COMING UP

They have the GREATEST RPG EVER like OMGBBQ COMING UP

They Have like THE BIGGEST AND MOST INFLUENTIAL FPS no no no not FPS i mean FPA EVER COMING UP AND IT WILL BE THE BIGGEST GAME THIS HOLIDAY with THE MOST AWESOME MULTIPLAYER EVER

They have THE MOST AWESOME EVER OMGBBQ Bundle coming up too which will PUT THEM OVER PS2 AND XBOX IN SALES
August 30, 2004
BAM! Entertainment

August 30, 2004
Pikmin 2
Nintendo

August 30, 2004
WWE Day of Reckoning
THQ

August 31, 2004
Electronic Arts

August 31, 2004
Street Racing Syndicate
Namco

September 2, 2004
Digimon Rumble Arena 2
Bandai

September 7, 2004
THQ

September 7, 2004
Atari

September 7, 2004
Atari

September 13, 2004
THQ

September 14, 2004
Blitz Games

September 14, 2004
SEGA

September 14, 2004
THQ

September 15, 2004
Atari

September 19, 2004
Jaleco Entertainment

September 20, 2004
Electronic Arts

September 20, 2004
NHL 2005
Electronic Arts

September 20, 2004
Electronic Arts

September 21, 2004
Capcom

September 21, 2004
Second Sight
Codemasters

September 22, 2004
X-Men Legends
Activision

September 27, 2004
Donkey Konga
Nintendo

September 27, 2004
DreamWorks' Shark Tale
Activision

September 28, 2004
Intellivision Lives!
Crave Entertainment

September 28, 2004
Puzzle Trouble
Crave Entertainment
OMGBBQ!!! SO MANY AMAZING GAMES

IT WILL RAPE MY WALLET

HOW CAN ANYONE CHOOSE XB OR PS2 OVER GC??

SO MUCH FUCKIN QUALITY RIGHT THERE

----I really put too much effort into this -_- ----

Matlock

Banned
Realistically, Pikmin 2 will launch to the tune of about 160-180k. Pokemon (versions combined) will come up to a big sum, of course. Donkey Konga, well...I doubt it'll pass 50k in its lifetime. And as for the Metroid Bundle and Nintendo ads? I don't think they're going to do squat.

Grubdog said:
You can't be serious? I expect 500,000 by the end of the year.

Matlocks numbers might be a bit off, but 500k? For a music game in the US? Even DDR with as popular as they're on the big fanbase they're on don't sell 500k over their entire lifespan and you're expecting this game to top all of those in a matter of months?

Ceros

Even if what you said what just PR type hyping and there was even a little bit sense of truth, you shouldn't go posting about ownage and Nintendo in the same topic unless it's Nintendo getting owned by a crappy "mature" game or another crappy 3rd party dropping support from GCN. That is like sooo Anti-GA.

Meier

I think Donkey Konga will move around 50k units in September alone. By the end of Christmas, I see it at over 400k. Fire Red and Leaf Green will likely do around 750k or so combined for September and the major titles in the Classics line should continue to sell well also. GameCube sales were up 48% week over week since the bundle was introduced, but I'm not so sure how much of an impact it will have next month as well. I dont see it passing Xbox, hardware-wise personally.

Overall, I would imagine Nintendo gives EA a strong run for the #1 publishing slot in September although October's will pretty clearly be Take Two at #1 or right there with EA.

segasonic

evil ways said:
Of course Nintendo's going to have a great September, that's like saying a race car will do well in a 1 car racing competition, where there's nothing else going against it..
Burnout 3 alone will outsell the Top 10 Gamecube games of September.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Some of you rag on Pokemon FiLe for being rehash, but the kids getting their parents to put down for this were mostly too young when the original Red/Blue was released. I've been preselling these things like fucking mad.

And PS2/GCN only have 3 games each I'd consider buying and it looks like Xbox is going nine for nine on lacking games I want to play. Well, I could get SH4 for Xbox, I guess.

Meier

segasonic said:
Burnout 3 alone will outsell the Top 10 Gamecube games of September.

As much as I wish that Burnout 3 is a smashing success, I think that the chances of it selling well enough to do that in its first month are slim. BO3 will undoubtedly sell better than the first two titles in the series due to EA's marketing might, but neither exactly lit up the sales charts. I expect about 350-400k across the Xbox and PS2 in its first month and continued strong sales for months to come. I hope I'm wrong though and it sells better than that since this game is incredible.

segasonic

Auron said:

August 30, 2004
BAM! Entertainment

August 30, 2004
Pikmin 2
Nintendo

August 30, 2004
WWE Day of Reckoning
THQ

August 31, 2004
Electronic Arts

August 31, 2004
Street Racing Syndicate
Namco

September 2, 2004
Digimon Rumble Arena 2
Bandai

September 7, 2004
THQ

September 7, 2004
Atari

September 7, 2004
Atari

September 13, 2004
THQ

September 14, 2004
Blitz Games

September 14, 2004
SEGA

September 14, 2004
THQ

September 15, 2004
Atari

September 19, 2004
Jaleco Entertainment

September 20, 2004
Electronic Arts

September 20, 2004
NHL 2005
Electronic Arts

September 20, 2004
Electronic Arts

September 21, 2004
Capcom

September 21, 2004
Second Sight
Codemasters

September 22, 2004
X-Men Legends
Activision

September 27, 2004
Donkey Konga
Nintendo

September 27, 2004
DreamWorks' Shark Tale
Activision

September 28, 2004
Intellivision Lives!
Crave Entertainment

September 28, 2004
Puzzle Trouble
Crave Entertainment

Wait a second, while I remove crap and rehashes fom that list.

Here you go:

August 30, 2004
Pikmin 2
Nintendo

September 21, 2004
Capcom

September 21, 2004
Second Sight
Codemasters

September 27, 2004
Donkey Konga
Nintendo

segasonic

Meier said:
As much as I wish that Burnout 3 is a smashing success, I think that the chances of it selling well enough to do that in its first month are slim. BO3 will undoubtedly sell better than the first two titles in the series due to EA's marketing might, but neither exactly lit up the sales charts. I expect about 350-400k across the Xbox and PS2 in its first month and continued strong sales for months to come. I hope I'm wrong though and it sells better than that since this game is incredible.
I expect Xbox and PS2 version combined to sell > 1 million units in September.

For what it's worth, I haven't bought a GC game since Twin Snakes, and I'm looking forward to Pikmin 2. Even the little woman seemed to enjoy the demo playing at EB, which would make her playlist 2 (DDR and Pikmin 2).

There's bound to be 200,000 or so more people like me, because really.. I'm a farily ordinary 12 year old in a 29 year old body.

Fularu

Banned
segasonic said:
I expect Xbox and PS2 version combined to sell > 1 million units in September.

Going by burnout and burnout 2's sales, this is highly unlikely, especially since BO and BO2 combined had a painfull time reaching 1 million combined in their lifetime on all 3 plateforms (not bo AND bo2, but each one on the 3 systems)

Top Bottom