• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Nintendo ABSOLUTELY OWN September? <all signs point to YES!>

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm picking up Pikmin 2, an August release by the way, what the hell. ;p And I am looking to pick up Donkey Konga, but hopefully my brother will buy it so that I don't have to ;p. Konga and Jungle beat are AMAZING! I'm glad it's a Nintendo game too, it won't be in limited quantities like other music games.

jarrod

Banned
signet said:
Well in any case MS is sure to own September, they make much more money than Nintendo.
In videogames?

evil ways said:
Watch Nintendo go back to getting bitchslapped in October and November, when GTA San Andreas, Halo 2, and MGS3 take charge.
Well, one out of three isn't too bad. ;)

signet said:
Sorry I missed Donkey Konga, I apologize. The rest are well...
Compared to industry shattering killer apps like Syberia II and Yager? Your list isn't exactly top notch either pal.

SolidSnakex said:
Matlocks numbers might be a bit off, but 500k? For a music game in the US? Even DDR with as popular as they're on the big fanbase they're on don't sell 500k over their entire lifespan and you're expecting this game to top all of those in a matter of months?
While 500k sounds really optimistic, you also have to remeber this is a Donkey Kong game. Comparisons to DDR or other music games don't really apply when you're dealing with a brand this powerful.

Meier

segasonic said:
I expect Xbox and PS2 version combined to sell > 1 million units in September.

When you consider the fact, that as mentioned, Burnout and Burnout 2 in all their combined iterations have not sold over 1 million copies yet -- I find it difficult to imagine Burnout 3 will sell over 1 million copies in 1 month. But I guess stranger things have happened.

As for Donkey Kong's brand name power, DKC has almost cleared a million units on the GBA (851,070 while still selling over 42k last month -- it will be past 1 million come year's end for sure) and DK Classic has nearly done 100k in 2 months -- Konga WILL sell on that brand name alone. Not to mention the fact that the kiosks with it in a number of stores will certainly cause many people to take notice and pick it up. Other music games are for a very small segment of the gaming population and seen as extremely nerdy by most.. hopefully this can change that perception.

"While 500k sounds really optimistic, you also have to remeber this is a Donkey Kong game."

I wouldn't doubt it could do 500k if it were a Donkey Kong game and not a game using Donkey Kong to sell it. It's possible that it'll do that amount over it's lifetime, but in 4 months? I don't think so.

wipeout364

I think the association with EA and the licensed cars will help Burnout 3 sales.

The Cube will lose ground this fall hard IMO. Pikmin 1 was a marginal mainstream title and its sequel will not move systems, Metroid 2 was not a system seller, those two games are all I see this fall. I have a cube and I like it but you are delusional.. I predict the DS will flop.

Meier

wipeout364 said:
I predict the DS will flop.

Anyone predicting this has no place in sales discussion threads because it shows they have absolutely no clue what they're talking about. Saying this is akin to predicting Spider-Man 2 would have a poor summer.

segasonic

Burnout 3 doesn't have licensed cars.

But it's got awesome graphics, online modes on both Xbox and PS2 and it's publisher is EA -> guaranteed million seller.

I know I'll buy it, even though I hate EA...

Matlock

Banned
Meier said:
Anyone predicting this has no place in sales discussion threads because it shows they have absolutely no clue what they're talking about. Saying this is akin to predicting Spider-Man 2 would have a poor summer.

DS isn't a sure thing like Spider-Man 2 is. :p

signet

jarrod said:
In videogames?

In game sales.

jarrod said:
Compared to industry shattering killer apps like Syberia II and Yager? Your list isn't exactly top notch either pal.

Not top notch but it is better. I only listed Yager and Syberia 2 because they are only coming out for the xbox. Auron listed games that are coming out on all systems.

Meier

segasonic said:
But it's got awesome graphics, online modes on both Xbox and PS2 and it's publisher is EA -> guaranteed million seller.

For the record, NCAA 2005 didn't even manage to sell 1 million copies its first month.. but it's good to see someone sticking to their guns.

Matlock: The minute it was announced the DS would have a GBA games slot, failure was no longer a possibility. Not to mention the PSP's delay until next year.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
signet said:
Pikmin 2 vs :

Star Ocean Till the End of Time
Phantom Brave
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Gungrave: Overdose (only $14.99)
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Burnout 3: Takedown
Gradius V
Sly 2: Band of Thieves
Demon Stone
Star Wars Battlefront
KATAMARI DAMASHI
Blood Will Tell
Monster Hunter

or

Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
Burnout 3: Takedown
Syberia II
Yager
Fable
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
Star Wars Battlefront
SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom

just to name a few.

Sorry but the only thing that is debatable is if Sony or Microsoft owns September. Nintendo is dead last again.

Pfffffffffft..

Pikmin 2>*

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I think Pikmin 2 looks fun, but the store I fill in at has reserved 2 copies. I don't think it's going to be a gigantic seller at first, though it will probably do well as it's Nintendo first party and as always the schedule for GC is fairly anemic. The demo didn't drive anyone, as PM2 and Donkey Konga do. The crappy pokemon craze continues though, a ton of kids have those reserved.

I'd think they have a slight chance to build hardware with the bundle too. I don't think Metroid is doing much, but there were some shortages of PS2 and Xbox hardware and frankly...that's the best thing going for them right now.

Auron

signet said:
Not top notch but it is better. I only listed Yager and Syberia 2 because they are only coming out for the xbox. Auron listed games that are coming out on all systems.

I only posted the list since you were putting lonely little Pikmin 2 against a deluge of so-so titles on the PS2/XBox(except Fable, it looks awesome). Yes, some of the titles are multi-platform, but that doesn't make them irrelevent. The point is the GameCube has a good selection of software coming out, and Nintendo will sell lots of units just like last year around this time.

Triumph

Banned
WILL EFRALOPE ABSOLUTELY CONFIRM THAT HE IS A SIMPERING CONSOLE-SEXUAL, STRIVING AT ALL COSTS TO SHOVE HIS MEMBER INTO ANY ORIFICE AVAILABLE ON HIS GAMECUBE?

Yeah. I remember why I stopped reading/posting in the gaming forum now. 9/10 of everybody is divorced from reality and thinks Pikmin 2: Electric Bugaloo is gonna be a title that sells to people outside the Nintendo Choir.

Matlock

Banned
Meier said:
Matlock: The minute it was announced the DS would have a GBA games slot, failure was no longer a possibility. Not to mention the PSP's delay until next year.

???

So everyone's going to go out and buy a $179 console to play games for a system they already have?

Honestly now, I'm interested in it and all, but it still looks just a bit too different for the public to get into it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Matlock said:
???

So everyone's going to go out and buy a $179 console to play games for a system they already have?

Honestly now, I'm interested in it and all, but it still looks just a bit too different for the public to get into it.

So everyone's going to go out and buy a $100 handheld to play games for a system they already have, just with a light now?[/2003]

jett

D-Member
The Gamecube will be dead last as always.

August 30, 2004
Carmen Sandiego: The Secret of the Stolen Drums
BAM! Entertainment

August 30, 2004
Pikmin 2
Nintendo

August 30, 2004
WWE Day of Reckoning
THQ

August 31, 2004
NASCAR 2005: Chase for the Cup
Electronic Arts

August 31, 2004
Street Racing Syndicate
Namco

September 2, 2004
Digimon Rumble Arena 2
Bandai

September 7, 2004
Fairly OddParents: Shadow Showdown
THQ

September 7, 2004
Terminator 3: The Redemption
Atari

September 7, 2004
Zoids: Legacy
Atari

September 13, 2004
Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Attack of the Twonkies
THQ

September 14, 2004
Bad Boys: Miami Takedown
Blitz Games

September 14, 2004
Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II Plus
SEGA

September 14, 2004
Power Rangers: Dino Thunder
THQ

September 15, 2004
Zoids: Battle Legends
Atari

September 19, 2004
World Championship Pool 2004
Jaleco Entertainment

September 20, 2004
Def Jam: Fight for NY
Electronic Arts

September 20, 2004
NHL 2005
Electronic Arts

September 20, 2004
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
Electronic Arts

September 21, 2004
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Capcom

September 21, 2004
Second Sight
Codemasters

September 22, 2004
X-Men Legends
Activision

September 27, 2004
Donkey Konga
Nintendo

September 27, 2004
DreamWorks' Shark Tale
Activision

September 28, 2004
Intellivision Lives!
Crave Entertainment

September 28, 2004
Puzzle Trouble
Crave Entertainment

GameCube holds it's own against the PS2/XBox releases.

I find it funny as hell that a poster used this list to "prove" that the Gamecube had a lot of good games coming out in September. :p

Matlock

Banned
Point taken, rk, point taken. The difference, though, is that the lack of a light was an intrinsic design flaw in the original GBA...which kind of forced some hands. ;)

Brofist

Matlock said:
???

Of course they will, doesn't everyone need a 4th method of playing GBA games GBA-GBA Player-GBA SP-DS

Actually I'd love to see someone make a GBA emulator for the PSP within a week of launch hehe

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
kpop100 said:
Actually I'd love to see someone make a GBA emulator for the PSP within a week of launch hehe

As "hilarious" as that would be, it wouldn't sell PSPs. Well, maybe to the same crowd who bought an Xbox to put Linux on it (and they were okay with buying the Xbox because Microsoft lost money...I can't believe someone actually said that to me), but those people are thankfully few and far between.

king zell said:
It's about time someone said this
No shit. I'm not saying that Pikmin 2 is worth ALL those titles - far from it - but the only title on that list that might possibly go head-to-head with Pikmin 2 and win is Katamari. That doesn't mean Nintendo "owns September", but it's certainly not irrelevant.

Brofist

RevenantKioku said:
As "hilarious" as that would be, it wouldn't sell PSPs. Well, maybe to the same crowd who bought an Xbox to put Linux on it (and they were okay with buying the Xbox because Microsoft lost money...I can't believe someone actually said that to me), but those people are thankfully few and far between.

Of course it woudn't, it's not like it would be a licensed product...

Believe me, the last thing I'd ever want to look at again is a GBA game when I buy a PSP. Not that I look at them now cause I don't own a GBA.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jett said:
I find it funny as hell that a poster used this list to "prove" that the Gamecube had a lot of good games coming out in September. :p

Yeah, that actually is pretty funny. :p

The GC obviously has good games coming out this September, but that list there is ass...

Fularu

Banned
kpop100 said:
Of course it woudn't, it's not like it would be a licensed product...

Believe me, the last thing I'd ever want to look at again is a GBA game when I buy a PSP. Not that I look at them now cause I don't own a GBA.

I don't know.. I have a dc, ps2, gc, xbox and gba sp, and the system getting most of my play time is ... the sp...

Brofist

Fularu said:
I don't know.. I have a dc, ps2, gc, xbox and gba sp, and the system getting most of my play time is ... the sp...

I'm not saying GBA games aren't good...but I'll be damn to drop $500 on a PSP to use it as a GBA emulator :p

Matlock

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
By the way, $179?

What's the official price set at? So far, the best estimate I've heard is $179, which was also the launch price of the other "third pillar," the Virtual Boy.

Matlock said:
What's the official price set at? So far, the best estimate I've heard is $179, which was also the launch price of the other "third pillar," the Virtual Boy.
The official price is set at Who The Fucking Fuck Knows. $179 is some kid's daydream.

Meier

Matlock said:
???

More like the GBA has sold roughly 4 million consoles in November and December the past 2 years and every kid who would have asked for an SP before will now want the more impressive system so they can show it off to all their friends. Parents might grumble about having to buy another one, but they'll do it anyway. And seriously, come November when there's plenty of DS games available, why would anyone not want to buy one over an SP when they can get all the benefits of that plus a whole slew of new games?

The DS will sell an absolute minimum of 2 million systems in the US in November and December combined this year.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
wipeout364 said:
I think the association with EA and the licensed cars will help Burnout 3 sales.

The Cube will lose ground this fall hard IMO. Pikmin 1 was a marginal mainstream title and its sequel will not move systems, Metroid 2 was not a system seller, those two games are all I see this fall. I have a cube and I like it but you are delusional.. I predict the DS will flop.

I'm not gonna bother with your DS comment. Look harder on the GC release list, and you'll find all of these games by the end of the year.

Pikmin 2
WWE Day of Reckoning
Second Sight (Hey, who knows? It could turn out to be great)
MMX: CM (Multi)
Donkey Konga
Paper Mario 2
Goldeneye(multi)
Baten Kaitos
Viewtiful Joe 2 (multi)
Mario Tennis
Mario Party 6
Metroid Prime 2
Prince of Persia 2 (multi)

GaimeGuy said:
I'm not gonna bother with your DS comment. Look harder on the GC release list, and you'll find all of these games by the end of the year.

Pikmin 2
WWE Day of Reckoning
Second Sight (Hey, who knows? It could turn out to be great)
MMX: CM (Multi)
Donkey Konga
Paper Mario 2
Goldeneye(multi)
Baten Kaitos
Viewtiful Joe 2 (multi)
Mario Tennis
Mario Party 6
Metroid Prime 2
Prince of Persia 2 (multi)

Well he seems to be talking about sales, so Pikmin 2, Donkey Konga, Paper Mario 2, Mario Tennis, Mario Party 6 and MP2 are the only significant releases for the GC this year. None of those are really system sellers either since they're all catering to Nintendo's fanbase. That's really Nintendo's main problem this year, they don't have any system sellers.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
signet said:
In game sales.

um.. no.. Nintendo sells more games than MS does. if you are talking about GC games versus Xbox games.. and only the US.. then yes, the xbox sells more games in the US than the GC.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I said it before this thread got out of hand, and I'll say it again. Pokemon is the only thing Nintendo has going for it this month. That's their only money train for the month. Pikmin 2 is not going to sell to those who do not already subscribe to the gospel. Neither will Donkey Konga. And neither one of them will be huge sellers. They might do well, but they won't move systems by any stretch of the imagination and they won't be blockbusters either.

There's just TOO MUCH STUFF coming out on the other systems.

Star Ocean Till the End of Time
Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Phantom Brave
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Gungrave: Overdose
Burnout 3
Gradius V
KATAMARI DAMASHI
Blood Will Tell
Monster Hunter
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
ESPN NHL 2K5
NHL 2005
Fable

All of that against Nintendo's 3 or 4 "big" titles? You've got to be kidding me. I mean, not all of those are going to sell very well (*cough*Gungrave*cough*) but there's just SOOOO much good shit. This is just common sense here.

So, in summary, HUGE month for the GBA, which should mean that Nintendo will have a good month overall, but GC buried back down in the console basement again.

Meier

I've already made it known I dont think the GC will have a huge month, but please -- you can't list titles like Phantom Brave, Shin Megami Tensei, FFXI: CoP, Gradius, Katamari Damacy, Gungrave, Blood Will Tell, etc. in comparison to Nintendo's big hitters sales wise. Not a single one of those games will crack 100k with the possible exception of CoP (which will do something like 200k total if it sells to every owner of FFXI in America during its lifetime, let alone September alone) in September and most will be lucky to do 40-50k. Expect 10k tops for Gungrave in particular.

The only games in that entire list with any shot of outselling Pikmin 2 or Donkey Konga, are Burnout 3 and Fable.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The NDS is absolutely going to own.

I'd imagine that by the time the PSP is released, that the NDS will have anywhere from a 3.5 million to a 5 million unit headstart (and since the NDS is going to be far less expensive...)

Meier

signet said:
Thanks for agreeing.

Err but the simple fact of the matter is they dont. For first party software in the US alone, Nintendo has 12 GC titles over 500k while Microsoft has 5. Worldwide, MS can't even come remotely close due to the fact they sell roughly 100k copies at most in units of sotware in Japan while Nintendo does millions. Nintendo undoubtedly sells more software in Europe as well. Outside of Halo and the original Project Gotham, MS has had more or less 0 breakout hits from their first party division.

signet

Meier said:
The only games in that entire list with any shot of outselling Pikmin 2 or Donkey Konga, are Burnout 3 and Fable.

I'm sure Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, Silent Hill 4: The Room, ESPN NHL 2K5, and NHL 2005 will all sell more then Pikmin 2 and Donkey Konga. Out side of nintendo fans both games will get little attention.

signet

Meier said:
Err but the simple fact of the matter is they dont. For first party software in the US alone, Nintendo has 12 GC titles over 500k while Microsoft has 5. Worldwide, MS can't even come remotely close due to the fact they sell roughly 100k copies at most in units of sotware in Japan while Nintendo does millions. Nintendo undoubtedly sells more software in Europe as well. Outside of Halo and the original Project Gotham, MS has had more or less 0 breakout hits from their first party division.

Wow that sure helps me when I go into a store in the US and see loads of PS2/Xbox games and only see 1/4 as much GC games. Sure makes me feel better that Nintendo is doing so well in Japan that they can neglect the US game market. WAHHHOOOO!

Meier

signet said:
Wow that sure helps me when I go into a store in the US and see loads of PS2/Xbox games and only see 1/4 as much GC games. Sure makes me feel better that Nintendo is doing so well in Japan that they can neglect the US game market. WAHHHOOOO!

What the fuck does that have to do with your statement that Microsoft sells more Xbox games than Nintendo sells GameCube games?

Top Bottom