• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Nintendo ABSOLUTELY OWN September? <all signs point to YES!>

Broshnat

Banned
efralope said:
2. during June of the month, Nintendo had the biggest software month for already released software. Hardware sales improved over May, then decreased again in July. The only major release was the low-key Four Swords Adventure (no commercials). BUT, it was also the launch of the NES-edition SP and the NES-Classic launch lineup.

here are some numbers:

Smash Brothers:

may - 28192
june - 53090
july - 43549

Double Dash:

may - 26582
june - 33919
july - 26,914

Mario Party 5:

may - 14326
june - 20760
july - 16888

A Wonderful Life saw about a 10,000 sales spike, and Twin Snakes about 1000 sales spike.

I even remember people being surprised that GCN did over 100,000 in hardware sales that month.

There was nothing super-special about this month other than it was the first month PS2 had at it's new price point. The NES-SP and games like Mario vs. Donkey Kong plus NES-Classic lineup actually helped GCN.

The GBA and it's software can help drive GCN and GCN software sales believe it or not. It may seem unlikely and/or unrelated, but everytime the NINTENDO brand name gets a bump in visibility, the GCN is by default helped. Whether this month belongs to GBA and/or GCN, coattails will automatically give a healthy bump to the others.

No, no, no, no, no!!!

There is always a jump in June, every year!! Is there some kind of holiday or something in June?

Same happened last year, Smash Bros went from something like 35k in May to 60k in June.

It happens every year, nothing to do with classic NES series.

Alcibiades

Broshnat said:
No, no, no, no, no!!!

There is always a jump in June, every year!! Is there some kind of holiday or something in June?

Same happened last year, Smash Bros went from something like 35k in May to 60k in June.

It happens every year, nothing to do with classic NES series.

to be fair, I did that post before you told me about the normal June bounce. It is the first full month of summer vacations for school kids in the US.

that said, how about Pokemon RuSa helping GCN sales in Japan. I actually think June was the first month Nintendo started running the cool SP ads.

so, how did PS2 and XBox software sales do in comparison in June to May/July

either way, I think the NES-related push on GBA helped GCN, and either way, Pokemon FiLe WILL help GCN for September, just like Pikmin 2 and the Metroid bundle will. COUNT ON IT!

Broshnat

Banned
PS2 and XB had similar jumps in June (although not to the same extent- Nintendo software seems to be influenced more heavily by holidays etc than others).

I'm sceptical as to how much Pokemon FR / LG will affect Colosseum sales I'm afraid. Maybe 10k jump at best really.

I'm just keeping fingers crossed that Pikmin 2 exceeds all expectations. It certainly seems to be getting a hell of a lot of attention etc. I'm waiting for the Nintendo Press Release "Pikmin 2 sells 500k in 2 weeks" or something :)

It deserves to do well.

Any idea on how well the MP bundle is doing?

AniHawk

Broshnat said:
Any idea on how well the MP bundle is doing?

I have only heard one report- it may not be true, and it's likely it came from efra- saying that it's helped sell the GC more than usual, and that it might be due to the PS2/Xbox shortage as well.

Nintendo needs to advertise the bundle if they want to have the system recognized this Christmas.

Alcibiades

I think it'll be way more than 10,000 bump for Pokemon Colosseum.

It'll be a normal hardware-inrease related bump, plus anything FiLe can manage to attract.

10,000 is super-lowballing it.

Broshnat said:
I'm waiting for the Nintendo Press Release "Pikmin 2 sells 500k in 2 weeks" or something :)
you too, huh

Alcibiades

Ha, the bundle will probably be gone by the end of the month. Christmas, yeah right, this is a September bundle IMO, by the time Pikmin 2, Donkey Konga, and Paper Mario 2 are all out, GCN's will be selling themselves. The purpose of the bundle was a 2-week march to Pikmin 2's release and hype for Echoes.

AniHawk said:
I have only heard one report- it may not be true, and it's likely it came from efra-
what are you saying...

hmmmm...

AniHawk

efralope said:
Ha, the bundle will probably be gone by the end of the month. Christmas, yeah right, this is a September bundle IMO, by the time Pikmin 2, Donkey Konga, and Paper Mario 2 are all out, GCN's will be selling themselves. The purpose of the bundle was a 2-week march to Pikmin 2's release and hype for Echoes.

You scare me more and more every day.

Alcibiades

BTW, I never gave a report on better sales due to the bundle. Honestly, I've made a tad difference (like no more than 10 sales), but I haven't worked in last week and getting a transfer to the Best Buy in my college town is proving difficult.

I remember someone saying a 46% week-over-week sales for GCN cause of the bundle, but I assumed that was pulled out of the air or maybe they work in retail and heard it, but either way, I thought it was unreliable so I didn't take it seriously.

It's probably somewhere in this thread too.

edit:

yup, looks like it was.

Meier said:
I think Donkey Konga will move around 50k units in September alone. By the end of Christmas, I see it at over 400k. Fire Red and Leaf Green will likely do around 750k or so combined for September and the major titles in the Classics line should continue to sell well also. GameCube sales were up 48% week over week since the bundle was introduced, but I'm not so sure how much of an impact it will have next month as well. I dont see it passing Xbox, hardware-wise personally.

Overall, I would imagine Nintendo gives EA a strong run for the #1 publishing slot in September although October's will pretty clearly be Take Two at #1 or right there with EA.

it was this guy, but who knows where that data is from, could be some remote obscure location that sells 3 GCN's a week, or maybe from some inside date that EB, I mean, it's probably best to just wait a few weeks for NPD anyway.

Top Bottom