• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will "Steam" change the industry?

Eric-GCA

Banned
Gamespot wrote up a column on Valve's network that makes a lot of good points. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/news_6112757.html

If developers can create their own "pipeline" directly to the consumers without having to go through a publisher, who knows how it could affect creativity? Of course, publishers provide all the marketing muscle, so it might not be such a good thing for devs in that regard.

What do you all think?

Culex

Banned
With the strong push of Bittorrent from Valve, Blizzard and online stores through File Planet and IGN, publishers are going to have a lot to worry about in the coming years.

Cold Milk

I don't know if it will change the video game industry as whole, but the idea of direct online downloads on a big scope will help small developers. Currently a small developer has to find a crappy publisher to distribute its product. Publishers’ biting into profit for developers just hurts the development process. So, if there is a small amount of overhead to get the game on Steam and somehow it helps with the marketing aspect of the game as well, it could definitely help the "small time developer".

The case won't be heard until next summer, at which point Sierra is hoping to win absolute rights to the Half-Life 2 game, and Valve wants the case dismissed.

That's kind of a scary thought. You buy on Steam, Valve loses, and Sierra tells everyone to sit and spin. You wanna play the game, buy it from us.

Eric-GCA

Banned
I'm mainly hopeful that if Steam does indeed catch on with the development community, then there will be a much needed uplift in the amount of independant developers that have dissapeared in recent years. Imagine all the money saved by using licenses of for example, the Soure engine and a setup like Steam to create and distribute a game.

Using methods like Steam as the main means to provide content to consumers pose more complicated questions that simply can't be answered at this point. Here's just a few of my issues with such a proposed service:

1) Reliability - Will the offered content be available forever to paying customers or does it have a "shelf life" before being archived?

2) Marketing - Marketing is a huge factor regarding the video game industry. Conventionally speaking, a product is marketed to convincing consumers through the usual channels who then go into store X to purchase the tangible product. Not sure if the mindset of Consumer America can be convinced to pay the same price for a "download".

3) Stability - The availability of any given product is only as stable as the company offering it online. Not to mention technical issues with server problems or hackers or whatever. Having these services become mainstream would mean your personal information will be just that much more available to potential hackers and thieves. A lot of people are paranoid as is about shopping online and services like Steam could greatly impact overall sales if it were to be the only method.

4) Console business - Technology and the overall mindset of the console business is very different than that of the PC business. There's still a significant amount of younger people without the proper means to purchase content online yet can save up their allowance or paper route money (or whatever) and still go to TRU and pick up a game they want. Sales would definitely be affected in this regard as well.

5) Sales - I don't see content "going on sale" through these services simply because majority of the major publishers offer their products through their own online stores and how often do they go "on sale"? Not very often, if at all. Target, Best Buy, Fry's and the like are a blessing here providing sales as incentive to bring consumers into their stores. There's no need for such competition with Valve's Steam service. If you want HL2, you use Steam and that it (if there was no retail equivalent, of course)!

6) Trade-Ins - Will not exist if the industry converts to a Steam type method as the main means to provide content. Way too many people have comfort in buying games, knowing they can later trade them back in for use towards a different product. There's also the option of reselling the used game to someone else.

Basically, I think that services like Steam should be nothing more than an "option" to people willing to take that route. I, as a consumer, prefer the traditional method of acquiring any given product I purchase, having something tangible to show for my money.

Top Bottom