• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
Azarenka having to withdraw is such a pity but those howls from when her injury happened will haunt will continue to haunt me for the next few nights at least.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
sort of sad for hewitt, but good to see more of brown.

espn was showing the isner press conference. he talks like a valley girl.

LuuKyK

Bouchard outplayed Ivanovic. lol

Your implication that his shoulder injury is not the real reason puzzled me, that's all.

Ivanovic on her way out?

Why are you supposing I implied that? I honestly didnt know the reason why he retired. Just wanted to know... But hey thanks for not answering it.

Saty

I really don't understand how Ivanovic is keeping her seeding that high. Her losing isn't much of a surprise as her seeding suggests.

LuuKyK

To be fair, your post does imply that you don't believe the given reason rather than that you're asking because you didn't know:

Yeah, I worded it like that because everyone was talking about it without actually explaining if there was a injury or something and I didnt have acess to any info at that time (on my phone). Thats all.

bud23

Also, I noticed Nike is pushing Bouchard as a young Sharapova.

It does not surprise me, she´s beautiful.

bouchard19.jpg

Wes

venison crêpe
I was all aboard the Wozniacki train in 09/10 ago but I'm so glad I got off relatively early. She's such a disappointment in the slams.

So what does GAF think about the current debate going on about all the British wildcards handed out to useless players?

I'm all for shitcanning that practice and only giving wildcards to British juniors and players who are deserving of one. I think Ward, Baker and Evans should not have received wildcard entries on the gents side and for the ladies side, Baltacha, Keothavong, Konta and Murray should not have received wildcard entries. Those 7 players have proved time and again they are just not good enough for grand slam tennis, they should have to qualify like other players and not be given special treatment. Dustin Brown is a great example of someone who is playing well because he was forced to qualify, I don't think he would have beaten Hewitt today with a wildcard entry because he would have lacked match practice and not been ready to face an experienced opponent. The lame Brits just show up once a year, get £20k and go home on Tuesday. Only Andy Murray and Laura Robson made it through this year, maybe Watson and Edmund will make it through next year as well but I expect they will not require wildcard entries.

MiKeD

Banned
So what does GAF think about the current debate going on about all the British wildcards handed out to useless players?

I'm all for shitcanning that practice and only giving wildcards to British juniors and players who are deserving of one. I think Ward, Baker and Evans should not have received wildcard entries on the gents side and for the ladies side, Baltacha, Keothavong, Konta and Murray should not have received wildcard entries. Those 7 players have proved time and again they are just not good enough for grand slam tennis, they should have to qualify like other players and not be given special treatment. Dustin Brown is a great example of someone who is playing well because he was forced to qualify, I don't think he would have beaten Hewitt today with a wildcard entry because he would have lacked match practice and not been ready to face an experienced opponent. The lame Brits just show up once a year, get £20k and go home on Tuesday. Only Andy Murray and Laura Robson made it through this year, maybe Watson and Edmund will make it through next year as well but I expect they will not require wildcard entries.

Yup, agreed.

Wes

venison crêpe
I think the LTA have had a secret deal with Wimbledon for a long time that Wimbledon gives wildcard to some of these lesser Brit players so that the LTA doesn't have to fork out as much money themselves. I think it's an appallingly badly run organisation. Or at least it was.

That said, you simply have to have a good handful of British entries in the draw on Day 1. The Brits crashing out on Day 1 is part of the tradition. Frankly, if such a poor showing highlights how bad the grassroots are in this country for even two weeks in the press, and that has even the smallest of influences on the future of the sport for us, then I'm all for it.

Tsonga is my favourite player on the tour right now. So much fun to watch, aggressive and he can hit a winner from anywhere. I really hope he can win a slam at least once, he really deserves it for not playing the same boring shit as everyone else who just hit it off the baseline like 100 times and hope for an unforced error on the other side.

I think the LTA have had a secret deal with Wimbledon for a long time that Wimbledon gives wildcard to some of these lesser Brit players so that the LTA doesn't have to fork out as much money themselves. I think it's an appallingly badly run organisation. Or at least it was.

That said, you simply have to have a good handful of British entries in the draw on Day 1. The Brits crashing out on Day 1 is part of the tradition. Frankly, if such a poor showing highlights how bad the grassroots are in this country for even two weeks in the press, and that has even the smallest of influences on the future of the sport for us, then I'm all for it.

If that's the case then it's bullshit, the LTA need to get the grassroots sorted and fund the construction of loads more indoor courts so the sport can be played year round rather than for just 2-4 months. I know it won't help our grass court success rate but as younger players improve on hardcourts they will get used to playing at a higher level and adjust their game to grass like Andy Murray and Djokovic.

Honestly I think I can do a better job than the LTA just by firing the current load of fuddy duddies...

MiKeD

Banned
I missed that point :(

MLDB is nowhere near as loud as people portray her to be. Much quiter than Sharapova or Azarenka.

Weirdest point you'll see this tourney, if not this year.
Gulbis fell down couple of meters behind the baseline and Tsonga just deliberately puts the ball back in play with a high arcing shot so that Gulbis can hit a passing shot.

szaromir

Banned
At least his draw was made easier by injuries in his half as opposed to just having no one else of interest in it (lol djokovic)
Hopefully Tommy Haas slices Djokovic away like he did in 2009.

Weirdest point you'll see this tourney, if not this year.
Gulbis fell down couple of meters behind the baseline and Tsonga just deliberately puts the ball back in play with a high arcing shot so that Gulbis can hit a passing shot.
Must have been peculiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom