• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaromir

Banned
You mentioned Graf, Navratilova and Evert who all played against each other and yet you say Serena's era has the "best depth?". Lot by my estimation its the worst the women's bracket has been since players like Graf and Seles retired. Serena only wins now because the women's depth sucks.
He was talking about 2000-2007 when you had Serena, Venus, Hingis, Henin, Capriati, Clijsters, Davenport, Sharapova, Mauresmo, Pierce, late career Seles etc. among others all playing together.
Yes. Plus, the fact that Evert and Navratilova were allowed to play 80 times against each other tells you all you need about depth in 70s and 80s. Graf burst into the scene when Chris and Martina were well past their prime and other than Seles before stabbing, she didn't have worthwhile opponents - Sabatini, Novotna and Sanchez Vicario were like Sharapova and Azarenka are nowadays - sacrificial lambs, even if they managed to build a solid lead they were still capable of blowing it within minutes to let Steffi grab the trophy.

PaulLFC

Come on Sabine!

Can't watch live again :( Live scores will have to do for now.

Edit: Lisicki got a break in the first game :D

Sabine not looking as smooth as yesterday, but that is somewhat expected. Still looking pretty solid. Moving decently, her serve is helping, but not attacking both sides of the court, as opposed to yesterday. Maybe that will change deeper in the match. Hopefully she is about to take the first set.

yyzjohn

Banned
He was talking about 2000-2007 when you had Serena, Venus, Hingis, Henin, Capriati, Clijsters, Davenport, Sharapova, Mauresmo, Pierce, late career Seles etc. among others all playing together.

You can add up all the slam titles from Venus, Hingis, Henin, Capriati, Clijsters, Davenport, Sharapova, Mauresmo and Pierce and it's not close to the Graf era players. Late career Seles doesn't count as competition for Serena because she lost all her edge post stabbing. Seles belongs in the Graf era.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Sabine in control of this game now.

Li doing really well in the other QF but Radwanska won't give up yet.

szaromir

Banned
You can add up all the slam titles from Venus, Hingis, Henin, Capriati, Clijsters, Davenport, Sharapova, Mauresmo and Pierce and it's not close to the Graf era players. Late career Seles doesn't count as competition for Serena because she lost all her edge post stabbing. Seles belongs in the Graf era.
Those players won over 30 majors combined.

Li-Radwanska is incredibly tense.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
What a fantastic first set with nothing between the 2 players.
How did she manage to win that set?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Li lost the first set in a tiebreak, but would have won if she had challenged during a set point while serving at 5-4. Why the fuck would you not challenge?

Lisicki through is good. Good good.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Such a shame Na and Radwanska had to meet so early. This would have made a great final. Hopefully we get Radwanska vs. Lisicki at least.

LuuKyK

Such a shame Na and Radwanska had to meet so early. This would have made a great final. Hopefully we get Radwanska vs. Lisicki at least.

The thought of a final between Radwanska and Bartoli... @_@

I want Kvitova and Lisicki in the final.

szaromir

Banned
2 match points come and gone.

I feel Davenport and McEnroe are unfair about suggesting non-stop the medical timeout was tactical.

Bigfoot

For me she's part of the group of her, Graf, Evert and Navratilova. She's the least accomplished of them all, but she also played during the era of the best depth in women's field (2000-2007), whereas in preceding decades the field was a joke at times.
I disagree. Evert and Navratilova played each other. Graf had Seles. Serena hasn't had a great rival. It would have been like Fed without Nadal or Sampras without Agassi. Having a great rival and still winning lots makes you great. Having no rivals like Serena has and not winning as much as Evert or Graf makes Serena a good player, but not great.

2 match points come and gone.

I feel Davenport and McEnroe are unfair about suggesting non-stop the medical timeout was tactical.

I'd say the first MTO was more of a tactical decision since it followed a lost set...and immediately after, she broke Li. Not sure about the second, maybe she actually is getting tired/cramped now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The thought of a final between Radwanska and Bartoli... @_@

I want Kvitova and Lisicki in the final.

I like Kvitova but what way is there to end such a topsy-turvy Wimbledon, than a topsy-turvy final with a guaranteed new winner?

AceOcelot

Reggie-miller-choke.jpg

Don't do it Radwanska.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
10/10 choke. Full marks. This is "Ferrer with break points against Nadal" levels of choking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom