• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Greatest tennis match of all time, to be fair.

I don't really get the common opinion on this one... I mean, in terms of drama it was probably one of the most dramatic matches of all time, easily. But in terms of quality of tennis? Really, it should have been Nadal in 3, and I say that as someone who isn't really that fond of Nadal. The only reason it went to 5 was because Nadal just couldn't commit at the big points. It never felt "close", it just felt like Federer managed to cling on for dear life until the fifth - kind of like the Federer-Murray match at the AO SF this year. I mean, just off the top of my head, Gasquet-Wawrinka in the 4R of this year's FO was probably a higher quality match if not as dramatic.

EDIT: In fact, I'd say that 2009 Roddick-Federer was actually a much higher quality match too, and the 2007 final as well, just in terms of how good the tennis was.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody bumped the "is Serena the greatest of all time?" thread? Shocker.

Given that everyone who said "no" was accused of racism, don't think we're that keen to go back!

Acorn

I don't really get the common opinion on this one... I mean, in terms of drama it was probably one of the most dramatic matches of all time, easily. But in terms of quality of tennis? Really, it should have been Nadal in 3, and I say that as someone who isn't really that fond of Nadal. The only reason it went to 5 was because Nadal just couldn't commit at the big points. It never felt "close", it just felt like Federer managed to cling on for dear life until the fifth - kind of like the Federer-Murray match at the AO SF this year. I mean, just off the top of my head, Gasquet-Wawrinka in the 4R of this year's FO was probably a higher quality match if not as dramatic.

EDIT: In fact, I'd say that 2009 Roddick-Federer was actually a much higher quality match too, and the 2007 final as well, just in terms of how good the tennis was.

I've never been so engrossed in a tennis match. Sometimes the greatest matches aren't the ones with the best performances.

The same is true for high scoring football matches with shitty defences.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I've never been so engrossed in a tennis match. Sometimes the greatest matches aren't the ones with the best performances.

The same is true for high scoring football matches with shitty defences.

Eh, depends what you're looking for in a "great" match then.

krYlon

I don't get people saying Roddick-Federer was a better match than the Nadal one. Federer's return was abysmal in that match, didn't he break only once, right at the end?

Maybe entertaining, but not high quality.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get people saying Roddick-Federer was a better match than the Nadal one. Federer's return was abysmal in that match, didn't he break only once, right at the end?

Maybe entertaining, but not high quality.

That's because Roddick's serve was absolutely surreal that day. I can't think of any player consistently serving quite as well as that.

krYlon

That's because Roddick's serve was absolutely surreal that day. I can't think of any player consistently serving quite as well as that.

Well, I probably need to see the match again but I remember being annoyed as hell by Fed's return in that match, it wasn't all about Roddick's serve.

I mean I know he's no Jurgen Melzer, but you'd expect him to break at least once over so many games.

szaromir

Banned
Oh I agree. She's still not the greatest of all time.
For me she's part of the group of her, Graf, Evert and Navratilova. She's the least accomplished of them all, but she also played during the era of the best depth in women's field (2000-2007), whereas in preceding decades the field was a joke at times.

Acorn

Eh, depends what you're looking for in a "great" match then.

I love emotion and drama in my sport. I can appreciate technical masterpieces as much as anyone but the stuff that really gets me is when a match of whatever becomes a story.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I probably need to see the match again but I remember being annoyed as hell by Fed's return in that match, it wasn't all about Roddick's serve.

I mean I know he's no Jurgen Melzer, but you'd expect him to break at least once over so many games.

Well, I don't remember being it significantly worse than usual. Federer's return of serve has never been (comparatively) that good, in fairness.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe how badly Haas is playing. Nole barely even has to try.

EDIT: Up until this point, Murray has definitely had the higher calibre opponents. Haas is just embarrassing himself at the moment.

szaromir

Banned
Tommy. :( On one hand, at least Ferrer now won't make the final. On another, Djokovic in a Wimby finalk again @_@ We need Muzzah to win this all.

My girl Sabine, wooohhhooooo.

I've been following her since day one of her career. I love watching her play. Her serve (and looks ;)) got me following her...her serve has remained basically the same, but her overall level of play has gone up so much, especially on the grass this year. She used to make a ton of errors (hit them into the net), not anymore. She's moving great, reducing her errors, and still remaining great with her serve.

Win it, Sabine!

Milchmann

My girl Sabine, wooohhhooooo.

I've been following her since day one of her career. I love watching her play. Her serve (and looks ;)) got me following her...her serve has remained basically the same, but her overall level of play has gone up so much, especially on the grass this year. She used to make a ton of errors (hit them into the net), not anymore. She's moving great, reducing her errors, and still remaining great with her serve.

Win it, Sabine!

She still is incredible error-prone outside of Wimbledon. Maybe a Grand Slam title could give her the needed confidence and stability.

szaromir

Banned
Aga - Li first match up tomorrow. Lets do it this time.
Yeah, Aga's won in slam quarters only once in eight tries, and now she's facing one of her nemeses as well - she needs to step up big time to win this. At least the previous two rounds have been an excellent preparation I think.

So if Ferrer wins Wimbledon he will be ranked #2 in the world.

A part of me wants to see this happen just because of how ridiculous it is

yyzjohn

Banned
For me she's part of the group of her, Graf, Evert and Navratilova. She's the least accomplished of them all, but she also played during the era of the best depth in women's field (2000-2007), whereas in preceding decades the field was a joke at times.

You mentioned Graf, Navratilova and Evert who all played against each other and yet you say Serena's era has the "best depth?". Lot by my estimation its the worst the women's bracket has been since players like Graf and Seles retired. Serena only wins now because the women's depth sucks.

You mentioned Graf, Navratilova and Evert who all played against each other and yet you say Serena's era has the "best depth?". Lot by my estimation its the worst the women's bracket has been since players like Graf and Seles retired. Serena only wins now because the women's depth sucks.

He was talking about 2000-2007 when you had Serena, Venus, Hingis, Henin, Capriati, Clijsters, Davenport, Sharapova, Mauresmo, Pierce, late career Seles etc. among others all playing together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom