• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuuKyK

lol @ the amount of match points needed. I honestly like both Ni and Aga, so I am glad they had a good match. Radwanska is so gracious, I dont know how to explain, she does everything so slowly it seems so easy. Anyway. Should be a good match against Lisicki.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
bah, i thought Lisicki and Radwanska were opposite sides of the draw... :(

szaromir

Banned
I'd say the first MTO was more of a tactical decision since it followed a lost set...and immediately after, she broke Li. Not sure about the second, maybe she actually is getting tired/cramped now.
She played a 2.5h match yesterday and was stretching several games before that. Yeah she broke immediately, but was she supposed not to try during that game?
I disagree. Evert and Navratilova played each other. Graf had Seles. Serena hasn't had a great rival. It would have been like Fed without Nadal or Sampras without Agassi. Having a great rival and still winning lots makes you great. Having no rivals like Serena has and not winning as much as Evert or Graf makes Serena a good player, but not great.
Agassi won 8 slams, Venus and Henin won 7 each (and Serena won more slams than Pistol Pete to begin with). I'm not sure how you can say Serena had no rivals lol.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Lisicki is too damn cute and bubbly in her post match interviews.

She has a great chance to win based on the players left in the draw.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Looks like Kvitova is feeling unwell.
Close up shows she is sweating a huge amount, doctor took her temperature a minute ago.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Petra is on her way to lose the second set :) But I'm quite happy for Flipkens, it's good to see someone finally getting rid of injuries in mid 20s and making it big in the main tour. She has a nice crafty game too

Yeah she seems really nice. Great use of slice too.

Certinty

Berdych vs Djokovic on Court 1.

I'm fucking pissed, not even against Djokovic do they put the World No.6 and former finalist on Centre. Ridiculous.

szaromir

Banned
Yeah and Navratilova and Seles alone won 27. So which era had the better career players? Seles would have won a lot more if not for the stabbing.
Seles would have won those slams at the cost of Graf for the most part, so it changes very little in the GOAT discussion. I'm not saying that Serena is greater than those other players, only that she's one of the greatest players.

Who do you think is going to win in the two ongoing matches?

I'm fucking pissed, not even against Djokovic do they put the World No.6 and former finalist on Centre. Ridiculous.
The king of grass David Ferrer deserves no less than CC.

They didn't want to give Berdych the opportunity to shush the royal box

EDIT: Is that 11 service points in a row that Stephens has lost?

zero_suit

Yeah and Navratilova and Seles alone won 27. So which era had the better career players? Seles would have won a lot more if not for the stabbing.

Navratilova isn't from the same era as Seles. Plus, Graf would have less slams if Seles wasn't stabbed.

Bigfoot

Bartoli...Awww Yeah!!

Sloane lost? Yes!!!

Why don't you like Sloane? She seems like a pretty good young player? I wonder if Serena predicted Sloane to win just to put pressure on her? It seems like something Serena would do.

I read that Serena was a mentor to Sloane, but when Sloane beat Serena at the AO, Serena stopped talking to her. Anyways, hate Serena but I like Sloane, although I was hoping Lisiki wins the whole thing after yesterday.

yyzjohn

Banned
Seles would have won those slams at the cost of Graf for the most part, so it changes very little in the GOAT discussion. I'm not saying that Serena is greater than those other players, only that she's one of the greatest players.

I never said Serena isn't one of the greatest. In the original thread where people were accused of racism I stated that she's easily top 5 of all time, but to immediately put her at "best of all time" when her overall stats don't come close to players like Graf is just ludicrous.

szaromir

Banned
I'm quite happy with the SF line-up!

Why don't you like Sloane? She seems like a pretty good young player? I wonder if Serena predicted Sloane to win just to put pressure on her? It seems like something Serena would do.

I read that Serena was a mentor to Sloane, but when Sloane beat Serena at the AO, Serena stopped talking to her. Anyways, hate Serena but I like Sloane, although I was hoping Lisiki wins the whole thing after yesterday.
I have nothing against her as a person, but her game isn't there yet to be in the last 4 of a slam and so far it's mostly been people choking on her time and time again. She has great mentality and athleticism, so I'm sure she will be an actual top player a couple years from now.

I never said Serena isn't one of the greatest. In the original thread where people were accused of racism I stated that she's easily top 5 of all time, but to immediately put her at "best of all time" when her overall stats don't come close to players like Graf is just ludicrous.
Agreed.

yyzjohn

Banned
Navratilova isn't from the same era as Seles. Plus, Graf would have less slams if Seles wasn't stabbed.

You can play the "what if" game with any player. Head to head Serena was down 3-4 to Henin in slam finals, so if Henin doesn't retire maybe Serena has a few fewer slams too.

szaromir

Banned
Whoever wins the match between Aga and Sabine will be the champion. No doubt about it.
I wouldn't underestimate bottom half players, particularly Flipkens. She was serving massive today (bigger than Kvitova or any other quarterfinalist outside Lisicki) and her backhand isn't a liability as much as it is on other surfaces.

MIMIC

Banned
Late as hell, but:

DAMMIT, SERENA!

Also, I watched the first set between Sloane and Bartoli. SIX STRAIGHT BREAKS. lmao

RE lover

They have to put the big names (Nole and Murray in this case) on different courts to sell more tickets, otherwise center court would be packed while nobody would bother with court 1

It's always been like this, so it's no big deal, really

szaromir

Banned
They have to put the big names (Nole and Murray in this case) in different courts to sell more tickets, otherwise center court would be packed while nobody would bother with court 1

It's always been like this, so it's no big deal, really
Yes. And is Djokovic that much of a diva that playing in front of 11.5k people is beneath him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom