• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Poor Del Potro. Guy is basically walking at this point. Also feel sorry for Ferrer - no matter how he wins, he's damned.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I suppose the positive thing Berdych can take away is that if his serve was better he'd probably be winning.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
good start, but it was damn near miraculous that berdych avoided being broken in the first. doubt he'll manage to cling on to this lead in the second.

Wilbur

Banned
Amazing hits by Del Potro.

I've only recently started getting into tennis, why does everyone dislike Ferrer?

I just don't enjoy watching him. Annoying loud grunt, more of a pitbull style to him, tenacious and energetic with not many jaw dropping moments of skill. He's like a baby Pokemon and Djokovic is the final evolution. Pretty similar games but everything about Ferrer's is a bit less impressive.

MiKeD

Banned
I've only recently started getting into tennis, why does everyone dislike Ferrer?

I like him. Dude's the smallest guy (sometimes by a large margin) in the top 32 and probably even further down the rankings yet he holds his own on the court and never gives up. It's like people want him to dominate guys or something, don't understand either.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Apparently he's a "pusher" who never plays offensive tennis or go for winning shots. This is bollocks. The guy is actually really aggressive, he just doesn't have any big weapons because of his height and therefore can't smack winners off every shot like some other players, so the way he manages to convert that aggression is by running twice as much as any other player so he can be guaranteed to get round to the forehand side of every ball and smack that. He's easily much more aggressive than any of Djokovic / Murray / Nadal - just, no way near as good.

The other complaint is that he's mentally not great. Most of the other non-Big 4 players in the top 8 can at least push the Big 4 for their money on occasion, but Ferrer cannot mentally close out leads or break points when playing any of them. As such, even if Ferrer is better than say Berdych, Del Potro, Tsonga, etc, if you were looking for an upset, you wouldn't pick Ferrer.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't enjoy watching him. Annoying loud grunt, more of a pitbull style to him, tenacious and energetic with not many jaw dropping moments of skill. He's like a baby Pokemon and Djokovic is the final evolution. Pretty similar games but everything about Ferrer's is a bit less impressive.

wut. Djokovic and Ferrer play nothing alike? Djokovic is all about offensive to defensive transition off the backhand side, Ferrer is all about working his way into a position to deploy the forehand. The most similar player to Djokovic in the top 8 is definitely Murray.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Del Potro reminding me of Serena right now. Terrible movement, but it doesn't matter because the serve is untouchable and Ferrer just can't win in forehand rallies.

Wilbur

Banned
wut. Djokovic and Ferrer play nothing alike? Djokovic is all about offensive to defensive transition off the backhand side, Ferrer is all about working his way into a position to deploy the forehand. The most similar player to Djokovic in the top 8 is definitely Murray.

Oh I know, I just mean like patient games. Ferrer is a bit more aggressive than Djokovic, but I just feel like he's far more comfortable waiting for the mistake than he is pushing for it. I like watching Del Potro, Tsonga, etc more because they're always pushing for winners.

I didn't mean Djoko = Ferrer, but their gameplans are relatively similar in the way they look to win their points.

Hige

I like him. Dude's the smallest guy (sometimes by a large margin) in the top 32 and probably even further down the rankings yet he holds his own on the court and never gives up. It's like people want him to dominate guys or something, don't understand either.
Yeah, I like that he's speedy and aggressive and seems to hold his own against the taller players. I like when "normal" people do well in sports. Not everyone's a goddamn giant!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I know, I just mean like patient games. Ferrer is a bit more aggressive than Djokovic, but I just feel like he's far more comfortable waiting for the mistake than he is pushing for it. I like watching Del Potro, Tsonga, etc more because they're always pushing for winners.

I didn't mean Djoko = Ferrer, but their gameplans are relatively similar in the way they look to win their points.

I agree Tsonga goes for winners, he's probably the most aggressive player in the top 8, but Del Potro? Del Potro doesn't go for winners, he goes for forced errors. He's a way more defensive player than Ferrer - today is an exception, I think because he's playing around the injury, but normally Del Potro's strategy is just to absolutely batter the opponent's forehand with a relatively low risk but extremely powerful backhand. Del Potro never goes for down the line shots, the usual "winner" shot, definitely less than Ferrer. He's much more of a pusher, just a crushingly powerful pusher. It's the brute strength game.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Why, Berdych, why? You play so much better than Djokovic until an important point comes up, then you choke furiously. :/

EDIT: Just as an example, in Ferrer / Del Potro, Ferrer is on 28 winners to Del Po's 24, but Ferrer has 15 UEs to Del Potro's 5.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Ferrer's ankle is getting worse now as well. CC is rapidly becoming Cripple Wars.

EDIT: Thank fuck. Ferrer has finally stopped engaging in forehand rallies with Del Potro. This match might start getting interesting now.

szaromir

Banned
Apparently he's a "pusher" who never plays offensive tennis or go for winning shots. This is bollocks. The guy is actually really aggressive, he just doesn't have any big weapons because of his height and therefore can't smack winners off every shot like some other players, so the way he manages to convert that aggression is by running twice as much as any other player so he can be guaranteed to get round to the forehand side of every ball and smack that. He's easily much more aggressive than any of Djokovic / Murray / Nadal - just, no way near as good.

The other complaint is that he's mentally not great. Most of the other non-Big 4 players in the top 8 can at least push the Big 4 for their money on occasion, but Ferrer cannot mentally close out leads or break points when playing any of them. As such, even if Ferrer is better than say Berdych, Del Potro, Tsonga, etc, if you were looking for an upset, you wouldn't pick Ferrer.
I don't think people are rational about their dislike for Ferrer (or any other player for that matter).
That said, I'm quite skeptical how a 32 years old can handle such a heavy schedule (I honestly hope he's just a freak of nature...) and sometimes I would like to see other players emerging from his part of the draw to play in semis/finals for variety's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom