• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

The bad thing about uwp is that if the app is crappy, then it's crappy on all platforms XD

Onedrive app on Pc is the same unstable mess that crashes every time you try to upload or share something that plagues the win mobile.

Not to mention the irony of having an app for managing a cloud storage that fails on the two most basic things you need the app for (getting files in and out of the cloud).

The onedrive situation is making me think that Ms wants you to use dropbox XD

malfcn

Downloaded iTunes because I wanted to play with my iPod again.

USB iPod, and can't open iPod.
Downloaded iTunes, and it won't open. The resources and processes are running, but can't access.

While looking through the device manager, explorer.exe crashed? Wallpaper turned black, and star bar disappeared.

Restart?

-Gozer-

I want to clarify something before I install Windows 10.

I'm currently using 7. I want to do a clean install of 10. I've downloaded Windows 10 media creation tool and created a bootable USB flash drive.

My concern is using my Windows 7 key for the clean install. I'm pretty sure I've read that you couldn't do a clean install using a Windows 7/8 key around the time of the release of 10. But now they've made it so that it is a viable way of currently doing a clean install of 10. Is this correct?

DonMigs85

I want to clarify something before I install Windows 10.

I'm currently using 7. I want to do a clean install of 10. I've downloaded Windows 10 media creation tool and created a bootable USB flash drive.

My concern is using my Windows 7 key for the clean install. I'm pretty sure I've read that you couldn't do a clean install using a Windows 7/8 key around the time of the release of 10. But now they've made it so that it is a viable way of currently doing a clean install of 10. Is this correct?

Yes it will accept the key just fine

gamz

The bad thing about uwp is that if the app is crappy, then it's crappy on all platforms XD

Onedrive app on Pc is the same unstable mess that crashes every time you try to upload or share something that plagues the win mobile.

Not to mention the irony of having an app for managing a cloud storage that fails on the two most basic things you need the app for (getting files in and out of the cloud).

The onedrive situation is making me think that Ms wants you to use dropbox XD

Yep. Agreed. I had to go back using the website.

as the deadline approaches to upgrade to windows 10 I am considering getting it sorted soon. Problem is I don't want to format and start from fresh. Has any one experienced problems upgrading without a format?

dLMN8R

as the deadline approaches to upgrade to windows 10 I am considering getting it sorted soon. Problem is I don't want to format and start from fresh. Has any one experienced problems upgrading without a format?

Windows 10 is on 350 million devices. Hundreds of millions of those people didn't format.

Just try it if you want it. You can roll-back if there are any problems, but there probably won't be.

Hi GAF, quick question from someone who just jumped straight from Windows XP (yeah, I was that one guy still using it) to Windows 10.

In File Explorer, I've been trying to figure out if there's a way to manually rearrange files - even if only temporarily - from whatever sorting option is currently set for any given folder. This used to be a thing you could do in all views except 'List' and 'Details' in XP, but I can't seem to figure out a way to turn it on here, and it's a bugger of a thing to try and Google.

It's the only feature that I'm really missing right now. Any advice (even if it's bad news) would be much appreciated!

Does it happen a lot to you guys to get settings changed after a new build is installed?

The fast build from last week reseted all my default programs, changed the folder view on explorer for all types of folders, brought the recycle bin icon back to the desktop, and even changed my insider ring to slow on its own (which I only noticed because I just read there was a newer build this week and it wasn't downloading).

Preserving the user settings should definitely be a priority when upgrading.

dLMN8R

Does it happen a lot to you guys to get settings changed after a new build is installed?

The fast build from last week reseted all my default programs, changed the folder view on explorer for all types of folders, brought the recycle bin icon back to the desktop, and even changed my insider ring to slow on its own (which I only noticed because I just read there was a newer build this week and it wasn't downloading).

Preserving the user settings should definitely be a priority when upgrading.

In the release notes for each Insider build there are a bunch of items related to "<x> got reset when upgrading builds previously. It'll now be preserved for future upgrades"

Lots of time the data migration work for specific settings isn't in place until the final builds, since schemas often change in between. Every schema change means migration code changes, and many teams don't want to write the migration code until it'll be stable.

Upgrades straight from TH1-->TH2-->RS1 should preserve all settings.

Branduil

Is there a reason after upgrading that file explorer keeps slowing down until it's unusable? Because it's really dumb and annoying to have to reset every day just to make file explorer bearable.

In the release notes for each Insider build there are a bunch of items related to "<x> got reset when upgrading builds previously. It'll now be preserved for future upgrades"

Lots of time the data migration work for specific settings isn't in place until the final builds, since schemas often change in between. Every schema change means migration code changes, and many teams don't want to write the migration code until it'll be stable.

Upgrades straight from TH1-->TH2-->RS1 should preserve all settings.
Oh, that's nice, thanks for explaining.

Also great to know that it's only between insider builds and final users won't have those issues.

gamz

Hi GAF, quick question from someone who just jumped straight from Windows XP (yeah, I was that one guy still using it) to Windows 10.

In File Explorer, I've been trying to figure out if there's a way to manually rearrange files - even if only temporarily - from whatever sorting option is currently set for any given folder. This used to be a thing you could do in all views except 'List' and 'Details' in XP, but I can't seem to figure out a way to turn it on here, and it's a bugger of a thing to try and Google.

It's the only feature that I'm really missing right now. Any advice (even if it's bad news) would be much appreciated!

Yeah, right click and you'll see the same options as you had before. I had the same issue you did a while back.

Or hit the carrot on the upper right hand side and that will bring up the menu and go to view for all your options.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Is there a reason after upgrading that file explorer keeps slowing down until it's unusable? Because it's really dumb and annoying to have to reset every day just to make file explorer bearable.

I can't say, but that reminds me: why is the file explorer so crappy? It can never seem to find specific files or folders when I ask it too. Like, I'll type the name of a file, and the explorer will seemingly find everything BUT that file. It's weird because Windows 7 and 8 were pretty good with that IIRC.

Is there something I need to change in the settings?

gamz

I can't say, but that reminds me: why is the file explorer so crappy? It can never seem to find specific files or folders when I ask it too. Like, I'll type the name of a file, and the explorer will seemingly find everything BUT that file. It's weird because Windows 7 and 8 were pretty good with that IIRC.

Is there something I need to change in the settings?

It's great for me. Are you searching in My PC or using quick access? Go to My PC and search there.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It's great for me. Are you searching in My PC or using quick access? Go to My PC and search there.

I go through the start menu and just start typing. I just tried to search for a file that's in my Google Drive, but the explorer couldn't find it.

Basically my Google Drive account has all the files I currently use at work. My old Dropbox folder has all the older work files. If I look for work-related items, the explorer will always find the old Dropbox files, but never what's in my Google Drive folder. Even if I do the search through My PC, doesn't work. Is this a known issue with Windows 10 and Google Drive or something?

Actually, I also just did a search for a video file I have. Couldn't find it either. Tried another video, same.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I was thinking of upgrading to W10 from W7 and then immediately returning back to take advantage of the free W10 offer before it runs out. If I do this, will W7 be exactly as I left it before upgrading? Will I be able to upgrade back to a fully licensed W10 in the future by downloading the files from MS and then logging into my MS account?

nan0

I go through the start menu and just start typing. I just tried to search for a file that's in my Google Drive, but the explorer couldn't find it.

Basically my Google Drive account has all the files I currently use at work. My old Dropbox folder has all the older work files. If I look for work-related items, the explorer will always find the old Dropbox files, but never what's in my Google Drive folder. Even if I do the search through My PC, doesn't work. Is this a known issue with Windows 10 and Google Drive or something?

Actually, I also just did a search for a video file I have. Couldn't find it either. Tried another video, same.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Have you added the location to the search index?

Branduil

This shitty file explorer is about to make me downgrade back to 8. Literally no part of this program works correctly. How do you fuck up something so basic.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Search for "Indexing Options", by default there are only some folders indexed.

Edit: But really, Everything is so much better.

Thanks! I'm indexing right now... Why they wouldn't index most of your files from the get-go I have no idea. They could at least suggest that you index more things.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So I just built a new computer with Windows 10 and I'm struggling a bit. Haven't used anything but 7 for the last 7 years and was on XP before that. Why is Cortana and a bunch of crappy tablet style ad stuff taking up half my toolbar and the start menu?

I've looked up some things online that would let me disable/modify registry/install classic shell to make it more like 7. But I don't want to be someone that just clings to previous versions of things.

I'd like to embrace the new as much as possible while getting rid of the down right terrible stuff, if that makes sense.

Mr_Zombie

So I just built a new computer with Windows 10 and I'm struggling a bit. Haven't used anything but 7 for the last 7 years and was on XP before that. Why is Cortana and a bunch of crappy tablet style ad stuff taking up half my toolbar and the start menu?

I've looked up some things online that would let me disable/modify registry/install classic shell to make it more like 7. But I don't want to be someone that just clings to previous versions of things.

I'd like to embrace the new as much as possible while getting rid of the down right terrible stuff, if that makes sense.

You can disable Cortana - it will thus only function as a simple search. To hide the search input/button just right-click on Toolbar -> Search -> Hide/Disable (or something like that - I'm working on a Polish version of the system). If you completely hide the search icon, you will still be able to use the search function as you did in Windows 7 - just open Start Menu (either by pressing on the icon or pressing the Win button) and start typing.

You can uninstall most Windows Store Apps, but not all - system apps like Mail, Calendar, Calculator, Pictures, Store etc. are here to stay. Unless you use Powershell to remove them by force (but if I were you I would keep the Calendar app at least; you can connect it with Google account and the Anniversary Update nicely integrates the calendar with the clock in system tray). Some "pre-installed apps" (like Candy Crush, Twitter) aren't even truly installed on the system until you click on their icons for the first time; they are there as a bloatware so you can simply remove their tiles.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Search for "Indexing Options", by default there are only some folders indexed.

Edit: But really, Everything is so much better.

Quoting again. Apparently Google Drive isn't indexed by default, even if you choose to index everything. You need to manually right-click the GD folder, go to security and enable the inheritance option or whatever. The process made the computer at the office choke for some reason, so I'll have to try it at home on my more capable PC.

gamz

You can just right click on cortana and choose icon. So it doesn't take up the tool bar.

DonMigs85

Anybody randomly getting "The stub received bad data" errors when opening Windows apps? Also detecting corruption when I run sfc /scannow. Looks like I have to do a full DISM check later on.

Yeah, right click and you'll see the same options as you had before. I had the same issue you did a while back.

Or hit the carrot on the upper right hand side and that will bring up the menu and go to view for all your options.
Apologies, reading back over my post I realize I wasn't all that clear. I've got no problem using the sorting options themselves - what I'm wanting to do is manually rearrange specific files out of order. Let's say I've got a folder of 26 files named from 'a' through to 'z', and that it's sorted alphabetically and set to the large icons view. Is there any way to drag the 'z' file and drop it into place between 'a' and 'b', for instance? Unless I'm being blind, this functionality seems to be gone entirely, which I'm finding pretty hard to get used to. I wouldn't even particularly mind if the folder reverted back to the preset sorting option once it was closed, but not being able to manually rearrange files at all just makes things so much more cumbersome.

Thanks for your answer by the way, even if it was to a different question than the one I meant to ask!

I'm trying to install Soldier of Fortune on my W10 PC. But it's giving me the error of "This app can't run on this PC." I have SmartScreen disabled and enabled Developer mode for App side-loading. any ideas? I even tried to copy the EXE and nothing.

SoFII will run, but not SoF1.

The file manager is saying that the One Drive is taking up 109GBs in my 1TB SSD... is this correct, and if so is there anyway to completely disable it and free up that space?

ezodagrom

Ugh, between the action center icon being moved to the right side of the clock (just looks so out of place) and the changes to the start menu, think I'm gonna stick to 10586 for as long as possible. ._.

Mr_Zombie

As someone who was against changes to the start menu and the notification icon I can say that right now I prefer the new start menu to the old one (where you had to click on "All apps" to reveal the list) - it's just more comfortable. Also, they finally placed the power icon in a proper place - bottom left of the start menu. Previously it felt so out of place when it was placed between "All apps" and "Settings".

And for the action center icon - I still don't like that it's moved to the right side of the clock but it's not something one can't get used to.

ezodagrom

As someone who was against changes to the start menu and the notification icon I can say that right now I prefer the new start menu to the old one (where you had to click on "All apps" to reveal the list) - it's just more comfortable. Also, they finally placed the power icon in a proper place - bottom left of the start menu. Previously it felt so out of place when it was placed between "All apps" and "Settings".

And for the action center icon - I still don't like that it's moved to the right side of the clock but it's not something one can't get used to.
I rarely use the all apps list, so it being expanded all the time is really useless for me, not to talk about it just looking ugly based on the pics.

Appearance wise, I like the 10586 version, I like being able to see the names of the left side buttons without having to click a button (by left side buttons I mean stuff like documents, settings, shutdown button and such, I make more use of those than the all apps list).
The only thing I would want to be changed about the 10586 start menu would be an option to replace the most used and recently installed lists with a pinned list, being able to choose which and how many applications would be listed there.

dLMN8R

I held off putting Redstone on my Surface Book for a while, but have been using Insider Fast on it now for a few weeks. I'm definitely enjoying it - it's stable for me, runs well, and I'm liking Edge quite a bit now.

I held off putting Redstone on my Surface Book for a while, but have been using Insider Fast on it now for a few weeks. I'm definitely enjoying it - it's stable for me, runs well, and I'm liking Edge quite a bit now.

Edge is almost usable. But the lack of options in the context menu is killing me.

clav

Well the desktop watermark build number disappeared in recent builds.

That means something.

You must be the only one then....I along with a bunch of other insiders hate Edge for the simple reason that whenever you run into a website that has lots of Flash content, Edge slows to a halt and freezes and is unusuable (even with Adblock/Adblock Plus enabled).

Proof here:
zkNylER.png

dLMN8R

Well yes, but I also happen to know that was a bug recently fixed, I think in 14390 :)

Here's hoping it addresses most cases.

Upgraded to Win 10 today. A quick question. Right click on the task bar and/or opening up new explorer windows feels slightly less responsive than Windows 7. Is there animation setting I can turn off? Or maybe something else I am missing?

Top Bottom