• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Piano

Banned
A simple question:
Is there any way to change what the News live tile displays? It doesn't seem to be following the topic preferences I've set in the News app itself and is just displaying endless stories about shootings. As important as that news is I'd rather not see it every single time I open my start menu.

Within the News app I've limited my news topics to just Tech, World, Sports, Movie reviews and a couple of other things, but it's still just showing story after story about shootings.

I've just upgraded my pc to Windows 10 but after installing it, it asks me to restart and now I've been on a black screen for ages. I'm abit concerned.

This wasn't a fresh install.

Edit: well it finallyl installed. Ugh fuck windows 10 though. Start menu won't work and 100% of the cpu being used.

Credo

Has anyone else here had the problem of clicking "Upgrade Now" when the Get Windows 10 window pops up and then having it get stuck permanently on the "Starting Download" screen? The progress circle just keeps spinning and it never goes anywhere from there. I've looked for help online, but nothing I've tried has worked.

Can anyone help with trying to get W10? I have a new SSD and would like to put windows 10 on it, but from what I've seen you can only upgrade. I've tried using my W7 key to get the W7 installer from the Microsoft site so i can install that and then upgrade, but it won't let me get it as it's a key for a pre-installed version (W7 came already installed on the PC). Is there a way around this?

So I have an alienware R3, and it is unable to be upgraded to Windows 10 because Dell never put out a newer version of the BIOS for it, even though they did update the BIOS for the R1, R2, and R4. My brother in law knows a little bit about computers and he says that if I replace the motherboard that would fix this issue and I would be able to run Windows 10. Does anyone know if that is true and if yes then any suggestions for a decent cheap motherboard? I have never done anything like this to a computer so I have no idea what to buy.

clav

Can anyone help with trying to get W10? I have a new SSD and would like to put windows 10 on it, but from what I've seen you can only upgrade. I've tried using my W7 key to get the W7 installer from the Microsoft site so i can install that and then upgrade, but it won't let me get it as it's a key for a pre-installed version (W7 came already installed on the PC). Is there a way around this?

Install Windows 10 directly using your existing key.

Install Windows 10 directly using your existing key.

Will it definitely let me do that, though? It wouldn't let me use the key to download W7 (just says it's a key for a pre-installed version and i should contact the PCs manufacturer instead) so i could install that and then upgrade to it, so is there a way to check if it's actually eligible?,

breadtruck

Was pretty sure my Windows 7 wasn't allowed to do a free upgrade, since I at no point had ever gotten any notification or anything. Then when I tried to get some sort of update to happen using Windows update or Microsoft's Windows 10 webpages, Window's website basically balked at me.

Well today out of the blue it told me I only have a limited time to upgrade, and asked me if I wanted to do it. So I did.

Cue a couple hours of bullshit trying to figure out why my mouse and keyboard wouldn't work as soon as Windows 10 began to load in. Soon I realized none of my USB ports were working. Some how my drivers were not compatible with Windows 10.

Ultimately I managed to revert back to Windows 7. Looking at it now, other forums and posts out there seem to suggest that it may be because I had Ai Charger+ installed from AI Suite II.

Not so sure I am willing to try it again unless I can be sure that was the issue...

Zatoth

Cue a couple hours of bullshit trying to figure out why my mouse and keyboard wouldn't work as soon as Windows 10 began to load in. Soon I realized none of my USB ports were working. Some how my drivers were not compatible with Windows 10.

Ultimately I managed to revert back to Windows 7. Looking at it now, other forums and posts out there seem to suggest that it may be because I had Ai Charger+ installed from AI Suite II.

Not so sure I am willing to try it again unless I can be sure that was the issue...

I had a similar problem. USB drivers were working after the upgrade, but when I plugged in my Xbox 360 wireless adapter and the Xbone wireless adapter at the same time it screwed up the drivers of some of my USB ports.

Reinstalling the drivers fixed it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I just upgraded to Win 10. It's ok overall, but I have some questions.

- Is 'reset this pc' ok as a clean install? I've read that it's fine and you don't need the other method. It just removes everything on C right?
- I told the guy who assembled my pc that I only wanted my C (ssd) as a Windows drive, and to install some games for faster loading. He actually put my user folder (with pictures, desktop items and the like) on my other hdd, so everything is on E instead of C. If I reset, it'll all go back to C again. How can I do that again, make that 'E:\user' directory the default after reset?
Currently I have this:

CznKkOv.png

Empty C folders, and the 'right' E folders.

- I wanted to simulate Windows 7 start menu as much as possible, but I can't seem to add anything to left side. I want to drag the tiles to the left (and just make shortcuts), but you can't do that anymore it seems.

9kJym3u.png

I want to move the shortcuts on the right to the left, so I don't have a 2 column menu and that empty space on top. If this isn't easily done then it's okay, I just like to keep things as minimalistic as possible.

Big thanks to anyone who can help with one of these points :)

Mr_Zombie

Reset this PC does a clean Windows install. I don't remember whether or not it removes user files (User folder), but it certainly removes all Windows files, Program Files and everything apps related.

- I wanted to simulate Windows 7 start menu as much as possible, but I can't seem to add anything to left side. I want to drag the tiles to the left (and just make shortcuts), but you can't do that anymore it seems.

9kJym3u.png

I want to move the shortcuts on the right to the left, so I don't have a 2 column menu and that empty space on top. If this isn't easily done then it's okay, I just like to keep things as minimalistic as possible.

It's not possible. In the nearest big update (August 2nd) the left column is automatically filled with "all apps" (what you currently get after pressing the "All apps" button), with recent / most used applications stuck at the top of the menu:
windows_10_start_menu_update.jpg

However, you can't pin anything to the menu - the right area is designed for that purpose.
I think that if you remove everything from the right area, you can minimize it so you will only have the application list in the left area, but I can't confirm it right now.

Sidenode:
The "Most used" section in the start menu is bullshit. Currently on the list I have: Sway (I've never used the app), Maps (same), Contacts (same), Alarms and Clocks (same!) and Notepad (and again). I can understand that the algorithm probably ignores apps that are already pinned to the start menu, but still... It should show nothing then instead of showing me a bunch of random apps that I've never used.

Sidenode:
The "Most used" section in the start menu is bullshit. Currently on the list I have: Sway (I've never used the app), Maps (same), Contacts (same), Alarms and Clocks (same!) and Notepad (and again). I can understand that the algorithm probably ignores apps that are already pinned to the start menu, but still... It should show nothing then instead of showing me a bunch of random apps that I've never used.

Yeah it ignores what's already pinned because then it would just be redundant items. In the case that you have pretty much everything you use pinned, then yeah the most used wouldn't do anything for you.

iBeleaf

upgraded laptop to WIN10
feels awful
slower boot time
slower performance
feel bloated with all the ads on the start menu
2 clicks to turn off

Firebrand

Just upgraded to Win10. It's different. I don't like it!

Is there anyway to bring back the fullscreen "app" menu from Win8.1? I quite preferred that over the Start menu in 10. I know there's the fullscreen option for the Start menu, but the program list still needs another click to appear and only comes out as a list on the side, I'd at least want to pin it if it's not possible to expand it.

Also the taskbar icons look really blurry?

Mr_Zombie

slower boot time
slower performance

Did you upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8? Because there's no way the system is slower or boots slower than Win7.

feel bloated with all the ads on the start menu
If you mean pre-installed (or pre-pinned, since some of them doesn't install until you click on them for the first time) apps, then I agree. Fortunately, you can uninstall (or remove) most of them. The only exception are "system" apps like Mail, Calendar, Groove etc., which is kind of bullshit.

Mr_Zombie

Is there anyway to bring back the fullscreen "app" menu from Win8.1? I quite preferred that over the Start menu in 10. I know there's the fullscreen option for the Start menu, but the program list still needs another click to appear and only comes out as a list on the side, I'd at least want to pin it if it's not possible to expand it.

In the upcoming anniversary update the fullscreen start menu (start screen) will work a little bit differently. You would still need another click to switch between pinned apps and all apps list, but the list will now cover the whole screen. The only difference between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 is that the list now scrolls vertically instead of horizontally.

maeh2k

Fucking Edge fails to restore my open tabs from time to time. Then I have to piece together which ones I had open from the history. It's so annoying I think I'll switch to Chrome...

maeh2k

Figured I'd upgrade my old desktop PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 today, seeing how the free upgrade offer is about to run out. The PC seems to have a hardware issue. When I plug it in, it blows the fuse. Any idea what that means? Broken power supply?

Fucking Edge fails to restore my open tabs from time to time. Then I have to piece together which ones I had open from the history. It's so annoying I think I'll switch to Chrome...

Huh, works fine for me.

Figured I'd upgrade my old desktop PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 today, seeing how the free upgrade offer is about to run out. The PC seems to have a hardware issue. When I plug it in, it blows the fuse. Any idea what that means? Broken power supply?

That'd be my guess.

Question on windows 10 anniversary update. If I have the preview build then I can get this now right? Also anyone know if it improved compatibility overall?

MarkusRJR

Quick question: How awful is Windows 10 with 1gb RAM & 16gb storage? I'm thinking of getting a cheap tablet exclusively for web browsing, YouTube watching, movie streaming (from Netflix and my MS Films & TV collection), and music streaming (through my Groove pass). In Canada there's basically only 3 tight price ranges for Windows tablets:

-$70-$150 for cheap no name tablets, typically 7" or 8"
-$280-$400 for name brand "low-mid" end 10" tablets that usually include keyboards.
-$1000+ high end tablets that replace laptops

I'm having trouble deciding if I should spend a ton more to get a name brand device with competent specs, or cheap out and get something merely usable. There's such a big price gap I don't even know what to do.

Anyone have any experience with low end Windows tablets?

DonMigs85

you should try to test drive it first, but on the 1GB tablets you can really only run 1 app at a time and browsing media-rich sites can be a pretty big pain. 2GB is really the bare minimum you should get.

clav

Agreed. 2GB is the minimum for RAM. 64 GB for storage.

If you run Chrome, it will constantly refresh inactive tabs on this setup.

I went to settings and update and checked for updates to download the windows 10 anniversary update. It says I am up to date for some reason yet it's really an old build from last year. I am on the fast ring too, anyone know what is the issue?

Edit: Solved it! In my Device Manager under Display adapters where it shows my video card, I also had a thing called CyberLink Mirror Driver which was installed with my video editing program. After removing it, I was able to initiate the upgrade.

I am trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I have an EVGA GTX 980 Ti, and I am on the latest drivers (368.81). I get this whenever I try and upgrade:

XB2rQEV.png

I also tried it with my second monitor unplugged, just in case. Any ideas? Thank you.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Display is like the last thing I'd think would cause an incompatibility with a modern operating system.

Microsoft gonna do things the Microsoft way as usual.

Finally got to try the latest build. I don't like what they did with the start menu, it was fine and better before. Why did they remove the search bar when I click the start menu? I hide my search on the task bar since that is how I preferred it but I still had the search appear when I clicked the start menu before. Why is the feedback app removed? Also they need to add a white theme, it still all looks inconsistent when my task bar is blue but some menus are black which I would prefer to be white. In terms of compatibility which is huge to me and my main interest, it got better with some older games that had issues in older builds but still needs work. Some games now work properly which is progress but please continue to work on compatibility and better framerate for older games. Here are some issues I still notice that were there in older builds as well:

The Longest Journey - When I try to quit the game, the textbox that is supposed to appear is all white for some reason so I can't click yes or no. Works perfectly fine on windows 7.

gran theft auto 3 - The text in the menus are transparent or invisible for some reason so I can't select anything.

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - Can't see intro and when I start a game I just hear sound and a black screen is shown. If I alt tab and return then it finally loads the game but I can't even walk with the framerate being all over the place. My character would just walk slowly and eventually it freezes.

grand theft auto: vice city - The game runs at 30 fps yet on windows 7 using the same machine I can run it with 60 fps.

Deus EX:Game of the year Edition ( The one released in 2000 ) - Inconsistent framerate, does not stay at 60 fps like on windows 7. It dips to 30 fps during certain parts.

Quake 1 - If I have fraps on then the game has this weird blinking/flicker issue.

Dino Crisis - Game runs on a forced window and I cant force full screen either with alt+enter. Some games had a similar issue like mafia and max payne but got fixed.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (original game) - Task bar appears in game, need to alt tab just to get to full screen.

dLMN8R

Finally got to try the latest build. I don't like what they did with the start menu, it was fine and better before. Why did they remove the search bar when I click the start menu? I hide my search on the task bar since that is how I preferred it but I still had the search appear when I clicked the start menu before. Why is the feedback app removed? Also they need to add a white theme, it still all looks inconsistent when my task bar is blue but some menus are black which I would prefer to be white. In terms of compatibility which is huge to me and my main interest, it got better with some older games that had issues in older builds but still needs work. Some games now work properly which is progress but please continue to work on compatibility and better framerate for older games. Here are some issues I still notice that were there in older builds as well:

The Longest Journey - When I try to quit the game, the textbox that is supposed to appear is all white for some reason so I can't click yes or no. Works perfectly fine on windows 7.

gran theft auto 3 - The text in the menus are transparent or invisible for some reason so I can't select anything.

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - Can't see intro and when I start a game I just hear sound and a black screen is shown. If I alt tab and return then it finally loads the game but I can't even walk with the framerate being all over the place. My character would just walk slowly and eventually it freezes.

grand theft auto: vice city - The game runs at 30 fps yet on windows 7 using the same machine I can run it with 60 fps.

Deus EX:Game of the year Edition ( The one released in 2000 ) - Inconsistent framerate, does not stay at 60 fps like on windows 7. It dips to 30 fps during certain parts.

Quake 1 - If I have fraps on then the game has this weird blinking/flicker issue.

Dino Crisis - Game runs on a forced window and I cant force full screen either with alt+enter. Some games had a similar issue like mafia and max payne but got fixed.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (original game) - Task bar appears in game, need to alt tab just to get to full screen.
Just FYI you should entirely get rid of Fraps. It hasn't been updated in over three years, has never officially supported Windows 10 (or even Windows 8.1!), and causes far more strange problems than it's ever helped solve.

If you really need a FPS counter across your games, there are much better options these days.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of issues you're writing about would go away if you completely uninstall Fraps.

Just FYI you should entirely get rid of Fraps. It hasn't been updated in over three years, has never officially supported Windows 10 (or even Windows 8.1!), and causes far more strange problems than it's ever helped solve.

If you really need a FPS counter across your games, there are much better options these days.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of issues you're writing about would go away if you completely uninstall Fraps.

I barely use fraps but interesting to know that. The issues for the games I mentioned are still there regardless of fraps though. If you can send this to the team for them to check out, most of the games are on steam for they can test and check. Also what ever happened to windows users voice? I notice it does not exist anymore, is there something else that replaced it? Where can I get this feedback through now?

edit: it seems users voice is now developer feedback for Universal Windows Platform?

dLMN8R

I barely use fraps but interesting to know that. The issues for the games I mentioned are still there regardless of fraps though. If you can send this to the team for them to check out, most of the games are on steam for they can test and check. Also what ever happened to windows users voice? I notice it does not exist anymore, is there something else that replaced it? Where can I get this feedback through now?

edit: it seems users voice is now developer feedback for Universal Windows Platform?

User Voice was deprecated because of the feedback app that's available to everyone, even non-insiders. I'd recommend using it since it's absolutely used by teams, especially compatibility teams. When you use the feedback app, it'll also collect appropriate diagnostics to help the right compatibility teams understand what might be happening.

Additionally, you can post to the MS Answers forums to see if other people have similar problems.

Finally, the Anniversary Update should have further compatibility fixes, so you might want to see if those things are any better for you once it's released next week.

User Voice was deprecated because of the feedback app that's available to everyone, even non-insiders. I'd recommend using it since it's absolutely used by teams, especially compatibility teams. When you use the feedback app, it'll also collect appropriate diagnostics to help the right compatibility teams understand what might be happening.

Additionally, you can post to the MS Answers forums to see if other people have similar problems.

Finally, the Anniversary Update should have further compatibility fixes, so you might want to see if those things are any better for you once it's released next week.

Ok thanks a lot for this response. I will definitely be using the feedback app and answer forums.

So, I have a bluetooth mouse that I often sync with my work laptop and then back to my SP4. It creates a "new" entry under bluetooth devices each time I re-sync...any chance this is fixed in the Anniversary Update?

Unit24

Why does installing Windows 10 have to be nigh impossible right before it becomes a paid thing? I've tried installing it twice now and it has somehow failed both times, and I can't even use the "Get Windows 10" tool because it just stays at the initial starting download phase forever. Apparently it failed because an update failed to install, but I can't see what update that was because I accidentally hit try again instead of clicking the damn update when I had the chance. Now Windows is perpetually stuck looking for updates and never actually doing it, all while I try using the .exe a third time.

mikeGFG

Banned
Question: If i upgrade to from Win7 to Win10 today. And then at a later date decide to reformat my drive or rebuild my rig, will I still have the Win10 licence?

Top Bottom