• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

longdi

Banned
Not strictly W10 per say, but how reliable is it to buy Office 2016 from reddit?
Probably very grey area, but huge savings here.

Mr_Zombie

Being an Insider Preview means you're receiving test updates - updates with new features that haven't been officially released yet (you're basically a beta/RC tester). You can sign up for a Fast ring (frequent updates, released as soon as the features are functional, might contain some bugs) or Slow ring (slower updates, released after being available in the Fast ring for some time, contain less or no bugs since the update was already tested by members of the Fast ring). Right now Microsoft is constantly releasing new features and fixes that will be available in the Redstone / Anniversary update that will be released "this summer" (IIRC they were talking about July 1016).

If you want to join the program, all you need to do is go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Insider Program.

Philippo

So, i know this is a Win10 thread, but i have some issues with 8 and have no idea how to fix them:
-my touchpad (asus laptop) has stopped doing 2-fingers commands altogether, i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers but its not working. also in the driver manager those options are already flagged
-the language switch button at the corner of the bar has disappeared, how can i take it back?
-connecting my laptop to the tv via hdmi isn't working anymore: the tv recognise that something is attached and it goes on the right channel but it doesn't display anything

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, is there a chance that switching to Win10 can fix these problems?

Joe

I want to upgrade but Dell doesn't officially support my laptop for W10 so I had driver issues late last year.

Do you think it's "safe" to upgrade now? It was running ok when I did it last but the fan was just running constantly and the only reason I can think of is because of bad drivers.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have an extra windows 10 pro key they aren't going to use? I want to upgrade my pc(which comes with free 10 home key), but I want to be able to disable automatic driver updates, since the graphics drivers it installs causes my screen to be messed up.

L.O.R.D

ok,this actually pretty cool , you can enable or disable the metro layout as you want

OZtLNvQ.jpg

QcZKt53.jpg

doodle

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place, but I'm looking for a Chromecast like device that I can use to cast the videos that I've bought from the Movies & TV app. I haven't seen a device yet that hasn't said it wasn't suitable for video streaming. Any suggestions? Is my best bet one of the stick computers?

I know it's not one of those important or top priority features, but will Microsoft ever do anything about the screen savers on Windows? It's like it hasn't been updated since XP; they are so boring. I'm looking at the screen saver features on my Apple TV and wishing Windows had something similar...particularly for still/wallpaper images.

Did Microsoft break something in recent windows updates?

I turned off recent files and folders for jumplists in personalization but even turned off the recents come back until I turn them on and off again and they go away till I start clicking around folders.

It's really irritating because it confuses my father and I keep getting moaned at to make it go away.

EmiPrime

Does anyone know which Windows 10 pre-installed apps are needed for the store to work? I went on a deleting spree of all that guff I will never use (either by right clicking on them or using the command line) and I must have deleted one of them the store requires.

aaaaa0

I know it's not one of those important or top priority features, but will Microsoft ever do anything about the screen savers on Windows? It's like it hasn't been updated since XP; they are so boring. I'm looking at the screen saver features on my Apple TV and wishing Windows had something similar...particularly for still/wallpaper images.

Screensavers stopped actually saving screens when everyone stopped using CRT monitors that could burn-in and switched to flat panels.

These days monitors and computers save power by going to sleep, so having a screensaver is actually counterproductive.

If you want a fancy screensaver for windows, I'm sure there are 3rd party companies still making nice ones. There might even be some for free.

FyreWulff

They died due to computers turning the screens off completely these days to hit energy saving requirements and extend the life of the bulb in flat panels

I don't know know if this is the best place for this, but I've been having some USB issues lately. After playing a game for a while (could be something as recent as Doom or as old as San Andreas), everything on my USB hub stops functioning, but appears functional (Num Lock light on keyboard will be on, etc.). If I hit a key on my keyboard, mouse, or any connected controllers, they'll just disconnect and then reconnect again. I can't control my PC outside of streaming it to my NVIDIA Shield until I restart it. I have no idea what could be causing it, since I made sure that Windows couldn't turn off the hub to save power. Does anybody have any ideas?

I'm I hallucinating or did Windows 10 just uninstall or out right delete nearly everything in my Windows.old folder without my permission after the last update?

I had a real bad issue with 10 earlier. Logged on and I couldn't open anything, couldn't click on anything in the task bar, the clock had frozen. Even in safe mode it was the same, couldn't open malwarebytes chameleon even. In the end I had to do a full install. One night of my week off wasted.

dLMN8R

Windows.old contains an archive of the previous build you were on. In an ordinary upgrade scenario all your files are in the new OS anyway, but windows.old is there in case you ever want to roll back.

After 30 days, though, windows.old is deleted to free up disk space.

Or, if you manually run the Disk Cleanup Utility, it presents the option of removing "previous windows installations" which is the same thing.

Joe

Is it possible to get good custom/generic video drivers?

I want Windows 10 but Dell doesn't support my laptop anymore and when I upgraded a few months ago the fan just kept running all the time and I think it's because the video driver wasn't very good.

DonMigs85

Is it possible to get good custom/generic video drivers?

I want Windows 10 but Dell doesn't support my laptop anymore and when I upgraded a few months ago the fan just kept running all the time and I think it's because the video driver wasn't very good.
What GPU does it have?

I keep getting this weird gray bar on the left in Edge when scrolling or using the right click menu. Pulling up the search (F3) and closing it makes it go away, but it inevitably comes back. Very odd. It's per-tab too.

Vyer

what's the best free simple video editing software for 10? I see Movie Maker hasn't been touched for a couple of years.

crazy to me that there isn't anything included as a standard

I think the folder gets deleted after 30 days.

Windows.old contains an archive of the previous build you were on. In an ordinary upgrade scenario all your files are in the new OS anyway, but windows.old is there in case you ever want to roll back.

After 30 days, though, windows.old is deleted to free up disk space.

Or, if you manually run the Disk Cleanup Utility, it presents the option of removing "previous windows installations" which is the same thing.

That explains it, thanks.

clemenx

Banned
I guys I'm a year late with this but I'm just trying to update my Windows 7 with the free update and I can't.

The update seems to go well until at some point it reboots and the screen stays black. It does nothing. I left it in this state for like an hour an a half and just stayed the same. After that I need to turn off the power and when I turn it on again it cancels the update and goes back to where I was. This has happened the 3 times I've tried the update, any possible solutions? My google fu seems to be lacking because while I seem to find people that had the same issue I can't find a definitive answer.

The error it gives has always been the same C1900101

clemenx

Banned
Thanks a bunch but I already have that as a last resort, I don't really want to do a clean install. Wanted to ask around before doing it.

clav

Some observations:

Seems like every computer that upgraded from 7/8/8.1 to 10240 then to 10586 has an issue with an image when the 10586 upgrade was done through Windows Update.

No issues with a USB disk/ DVD upgrade (10240 to 10586 setup).

sfc /scannow usually reports something broken with the installation with failed corrections on those setups, so dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth fails, too. I have to point dism to a source install.wim (USB/DVD) to fix. Then run sfc /scannow to fix everything.

Also normal user profiles (non-admin/standard) seem to break after the 10586 upgrade, which breaks UWP apps for that user. Easiest fix is to delete and recreate the profile.

No problems for users who clean-installed 10 from the beginning. They can upgrade successfully between builds even when using Windows Update.

I just got a cheap Windows 10 laptop through/for work. It's a bit foreign to me because I haven't used the OS much before.

Any tips?

Also, it came with a free subscription to McAffee. Do I want that?

PaulLFC

I'm enjoying the Insider builds so far, but I think once the final Anniversary update hits I'll likely opt out so that I can use Kaspersky again.

Can I just opt out when I receive the final update, or do I need to opt out at some point before it to be able to stay on it?

ugoo18

Just updated and either I'm imagining it but videos look better now. Is this in my head or is this actually a thing lol?

I don't know if others have this problem but I'm starting to realize just how blurry the font in Windows 10 can be at times. Just doesn't look sharp or crisp in certain parts of the GUI.

Maybe I need to make the jump to 1440p sooner.

malfcn

Identified a new problem.

Whenever I have a login screen with "ads" like, "Did you like this picture?" and I login, my wireless doesn't work. It's happened the last 2/2 times.

Anyone on preview build? Has there been updates happening every other day or my updates aren't staying updated. I swear I'm always having to update a lot

So, one little question:

I used to have 7 on a single HDD, and a week ago I created a partition for testing 10 with dual boot. I've gotten used to 10 faster than expected, and I'm considering making it a full time OS.
I was going to delete the 7 partition, extend the 10 one and remove 7 with msconfig. Will this work or I will have a brick of a system? When it was with 7 and XP I'd just boot into recovery and repair the boot sector, but I'm clueless about 10.

MCD

Wundows Defender is more prominent in the latest insider builds. Dunno why it was hidden away in the first Win10 build.

Top Bottom