• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: "Based on our sources", the next Xbox generation is a traditional console and a handheld

gokurho

Instead, it seems Xbox is full-steam ahead with its next set of console hardware, which we tentatively believe based on our sources to include at least both a traditional-style successor to the Xbox Series X, and Microsoft's first real foray into Xbox handheld gaming with its own take on the Steam Deck.
Kevin Dillon Win GIF

Darsxx82

Interesting that NOV 2026 is the 25th anniversary of Xbox and Halo. If there is a date for something to happen, that could be it.

Then, go back to betting on the traditional console when you are giving the idea that it will not have exclusives...... Either something changes in that regard to the exclusives or it doesn't make sense.

Many unknowns to be resolved in order to give an informed opinion.

S0ULZB0URNE

Done with them with consoles.

I would like to see what the surface team could come up with for a portable gaming device.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Imo they need to take a chance on something different at this point or be prepared to have their consoles die to irrelevancy. A handheld while not unique, may be a more enticing proposition at this point.

But even this isn’t immune to the Microsoft touch of failure that seems to infest whatever they come in contact with. I don’t know anymore. I would love for them to prove me wrong. It’s depressing.

Hookshot

Gold Member
I'm sure Nintendo said they weren't discussing the original Switch because other companies could copy it, before it's rather swift announcement and release. It seemed far fetched back then but now with the popularity of Handheld PC's I believe the others will want a piece of the pie.

Parazels

I don't understand how they are going to release next generation games on the relatively weak portable hardware and home console. It's going to be even worse than Series S + X!

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Not sure how they stand out unless they pick at areas where others are worse (pricing, ergonomics)

Maybe they build a $299-$350 device that can emulate the Series S close enough? More traditional controller ergonomics a la PS Portal?

I'd probably consider buying something like that.

Why is Microsoft always so fucking late to the party? You'd think with how much money they have, they could afford to hire creative people and visionaries, but instead, they're always three steps behind everyone else.
Because they want a handheld? In which case Valve were 30+ years "late to the party", as well.

Microsoft innovate in the console space far more than Sony, look how many Xbox 360 legacy features the PS5 has!

VAVA Mk2

Interesting that NOV 2026 is the 25th anniversary of Xbox and Halo. If there is a date for something to happen, that could be it.

Then, go back to betting on the traditional console when you are giving the idea that it will not have exclusives...... Either something changes in that regard to the exclusives or it doesn't make sense.

Many unknowns to be resolved in order to give an informed opinion.
If they are going to have a Halo game launch with a new consoles (and actually do it this time), I predict them teasing Halo CE remake or Halo 7 sometime within a year.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If it’s a handheld PC that can also natively play all that Xbox BC I might be in. I have a Ninja Gaiden Black sized hole in my heart and I don’t wanna a Series console.

peter42O

Neo Member
Microsoft will have a single traditional console and a portable handheld. Fall 2026. $800 for the console and $500 for the portable is my guess. Gears of War: E-Day, Perfect Dark and COD 2026 as the launch titles. Could see Halo 7 as well or it being early 2027.

Woopah

Honestly, I don't think Nintendo gives a flying fuck. They don't seem to have viewed either one of them as competition since the Wii days, if that.

They just go their own way and are successful with it.
They definitely view them as competition, because we know exclusivity is important to them (first party and third party).

Taycan77

Neophyte
So many in the games industry, particularly those in the US, can't comprehend retailers in the UK/EU have already given up on Xbox. It's like the dying days of Atari, Commodore, 3DO, Sega. There's no coming back from a position like that.

Retailer and consumer confidence has been lost. Anyone investing in an 'Xbox' ecosystem will now divert to PlayStation and/or Steam, where they can get everything Microsoft offers. Badge engineering a PC/handheld will always be an option for Microsoft, but we have to be realistic, and admit their days as a major player in the console hardware market are long gone.

Last edited:

Bitstream

depending on what sort of hardware spec and price point we're talking about, I could be interested. Let's see some sort of 1200 console with absurd specs and access to steam, GOG, and epic store; that new gears of war would look quite nice in 4K60

wolffy66

Imo they need to take a chance on something different at this point or be prepared to have their consoles die to irrelevancy. A handheld while not unique, may be a more enticing proposition at this point.

But even this isn’t immune to the Microsoft touch of failure that seems to infest whatever they come in contact with. I don’t know anymore. I would love for them to prove me wrong. It’s depressing.
The idea that one of most successful companies in the history of the world kills everything it touches just seems weird to me. Playstation and Nintendo are obviously super successful but that doesn't equal "everything it touches dies". Id describe Xbox as just ok or average biz wise but not an unsuccessful product.

Sony runs the traditional console space.

Nintendo rules the family friendly and Japan focused hybrid portable.

Having a pc/console that natively, seamlessly, easily plays a persons Xbox console library, those of other launchers, and gameplas straight out of the box with a streamlined OS could have huge potential. Xbox could finally find a lane to dominate going forward.

Quasicat

With all of the talk of AI making the next generation the biggest leap ever, I’m hoping that I can plug the handheld Xbox into my TV like the Switch and Steam Deck and it will look on par with the Series S.

Stuart360

I think if MS could release a powerful handheld that somehow could run Steam as well as Xbox, they would be on to a winner. I doubt that could happen though as Valve will surely be releasing updated Steam Decks over time.

As for the traditional console, i'd just make a super powerful enthusiast console for like $800+ and market it for the enthusiasts. Sell 10-20mil over the gen. Continue releasing games on PC and Playstation (later releases). And release cutdown next gen games on the XSX through next gen, have the XSX kind of as that gens XSS.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I think if MS could release a powerful handheld that somehow could run Steam as well as Xbox, they would be on to a winner. I doubt that could happen though as Valve will surely be releasing updated Steam Decks over time.
I don’t see Microsoft being opposed to launching a device out of the box with steam and xbox environment, having the surface team and owning Windows they’re obviously in the best position to do this.

Do you release an absolute beast but or something on the cheaper scale handheld wise?

MikeM

Gold Member
Why is Microsoft always so fucking late to the party? You'd think with how much money they have, they could afford to hire creative people and visionaries, but instead, they're always three steps behind everyone else.
Thats what happens when you only think quarter to quarter and not long term.

Stuart360

I don’t see Microsoft being opposed to launching a device out of the box with steam and xbox environment, having the surface team and owning Windows they’re obviously in the best position to do this.

Do you release an absolute beast but or something on the cheaper scale handheld wise?
Well if they could get Steam onto the handheld, go super powerful (by handheld standards). PC users will pay big for something desirable to them.

FireFly

If they're targeting Series S performance in a handheld, they probably need 2nm or at least TSMC N3P.

Top Bottom