• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: "Based on our sources", the next Xbox generation is a traditional console and a handheld

Kacho

I keep asking myself who's their target market for these... other than a handful of 40-year-olds on an enthusiast gaming forum.

Is it just hardware for hardware's sake to keep up appearances?

Do they realize their market is tiny and only make enough to satisfy 20-30 million people?

What's their real strategy here?

Edit: are they really gonna punt the European market? LMAO

Last edited:

midnightAI

Lies No GIF

Well, I don't believe they have sources, but I do think this is the obvious course of action even if it's a little 'safe'

Esparadrapo

Neo Member
I don't see the economics here. Nintendo has the closed space and Valve the open space. I don't think that Game Pass as its only exclusive feature would sway anyone

If they open their hardware to other stores... well, they better be ready to be swallowed whole because on PC they are even more irrelevant than on consoles.

This is nonsense after nonsense. Xbox as a hardware platform is already on the other side of the Styx.

Stuart360

I keep asking myself who's their target market for these... other than a handful of 40-year-olds on an enthusiast gaming forum.

Is it just hardware for hardware's sake to keep up appearances?

Do they realize their market is tiny and only make enough to satisfy 20-30 million people?

What's their real strategy here?

Edit: are they really gonna punt the European market? LMAO
Everone seems to forget they still need hardware for Gamepass. Unless they went full streaming with Gamepass and i dont think they are ready to do that yet.

Same. And I don't understand why they would keep trying what obviously doesn't work. Think Jez has it wrong......again.

I actually think he has it right. The other option always seemed like a pipe dream and something that was just being thrown out there. People heard Phil mention the idea and it’s been a hot topic ever since.

Realistically though it made no sense financially and let’s be real it wasn’t going to change their place in the hardware market.

ZehDon

I don't see the economics here. Nintendo has the closed space and Valve the open space. I don't think that Game Pass as its only exclusive feature would sway anyone...
You're not really thinking big enough. Let's pretend that, somehow, Microsoft really have found a way to cram a next-gen console into a dockable handheld. No idea how, but let's pretend they did it. So, sure, Nintendo have the closed space, but their Switch successor will only match the current Steam Deck, which is already well behind modern games. Microsoft's entry level PC-console handheld would mean developers don't have to make necessarily custom versions for it the same way they would the Switch successor. Without requiring dedicated support, the device can run every Sony first party PC title, emulate all of Nintendo's offerings, and run all of Microsoft's first party titles, and has access to Game Pass, Steam, Epic, and GOG. Even if it landed at USD$599, that kind of handheld would be an incredible piece of kit. But it requires Microsoft to cram a next-gen console into a handheld. And that'll require a miracle.

Jaybe

If it’s a more powerful Xbox console, I wonder if third party purchased on will work with a PC based handheld (assuming its PC based like the Ally).

Topher

Gold Member
I actually think he has it right. The other option always seemed like a pipe dream and something that was just being thrown out there. People heard Phil mention the idea and it’s been a hot topic ever since.

Realistically though it made no sense financially and let’s be real it wasn’t going to change their place in the hardware market.

I just don't see how being a third party publisher with a closed ecosystem console makes any sense.

Make it make sense, Phil!

Yeah, if it could play Xbox games and Steam / EA / GoG / etc, I would look as long as price wasn’t outrageous.

The handheld is what I'm most interested in. If it can do all that as well as bring in Xbox BC then that would be pretty cool. Price tho.

Last edited:

Kacho

Everone seems to forget they still need hardware for Gamepass. Unless they went full streaming with Gamepass and i dont think they are ready to do that yet.
Yeah, that's a good point. I always sleep on Game Pass because I fucking despise it.

Last edited:
Handheld next gen sound awesome. I would be happy to lose a gen to get portable consoles where about where we are. Especially with how long game take to make.

StereoVsn

I just don't see how being a third party publisher with a closed ecosystem console makes any sense.

Make it make sense, Phil!

The handheld is what I'm most interested in. If it can do all that as well as bring in Xbox BC then that would be pretty cool. Price tho.
Yep, I pretty much just use XSX for BC and a few other games. A handheld with BC support that could run Series games AND other PC storefronts would be quite interesting to see. Price is going to be the sticking factor. I think Surface team is running things and they a)Kind of suck now and b)Are generally very expensive.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Every Xbox fan needs to wake up but they don’t want to listen, remember RROD? Than all of a sudden the consoles are fixed and Microsoft stop making good games. But Phill said he will fix it and Xbox fans bought it, phill did next to nothing and needs to be fired!!

bill goldberg mic drop GIF by WWE

Kacho

Every Xbox fan needs to wake up but they don’t want to listen, remember RROD? Than all of a sudden the consoles are fixed and Microsoft stop making good games. But Phill said he will fix it and Xbox fans bought it, phill did next to nothing and needs to be fired!!

bill goldberg mic drop GIF by WWE
My Xbox library is immaculate and everything works by default with a controller. Definitely don't want to see that get erased.

Sometimes you need to embrace being committed to a losing team. I have lots of experience with this being a lifelong Commanders/Redskins fan.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
My Xbox library is immaculate and everything works by default with a controller. Definitely don't want to see that get erased.

Sometimes you need to embrace being committed to a losing team. I have lots of experience with this being a lifelong Commanders/Redskins fan.
Redskins stink, Xbox and the redskins need a shake up, forza is the most overrated racing franchise, halo is sitting back on its butt, gears of war is unfixable trouble and Phill is obsessed with putting people to sleep and tricking people like you!

bundylove

I'm sure Nintendo said they weren't discussing the original Switch because other companies could copy it, before it's rather swift announcement and release. It seemed far fetched back then but now with the popularity of Handheld PC's I believe the others will want a piece of the pie.
Once microsoft releases its own handheld at the same price as switch 2 with gamepass and cloud gaming on it plus all the other goddies, nintendo will have a hard time like competing.
I remember the wii u disaster after the success of the wii.
History will repeat itself once again

ZehDon

Make it make sense, Phil!...
I don't think Xbox has a closed eco-system starting from next-gen. I think their hardware becomes a side hustle, just like the Surface hardware is a side-hustle for Microsoft in general. They know Sony's done subsidising their console hardware (see: PS5 Pro price) so they don't have to loss lead. USD$1000.00 big boy PC-console hybrid and a USD$549.00 PC-console handheld that both turn a small profit on the hardware alone. They advertise them as Game Pass access points, but now with Steam games, PlayStation PC games, Epic games, etc. Moving forward, they just release their games everywhere - maybe with a period of Xbox hardware exclusivity. If you want Game Pass and early access to their games, you buy their hardware. If you don't, you buy their games wherever you wanna play. In theory, they can sell more games and subscriptions while not bleeding cash on their hardware. No idea if it's a good strategy, but it seems to be what their strategy is going to be.

Last edited:

kevboard

they clearly won't have a closed system. IMO

my prediction is this:
I think it becomes more and more likely that they will almost exactly copy the concept of the Steam Deck.

they will probably create a Game Mode for Windows 11 that allows you to boot into a controller friendly environment, but allows you to go onto the desktop to use a normal windows PC.
and that will then be the basis for how their next gen systems work.

they will heavily push their own store, probably offering "Xbox Optimised" games where developers can get verified by offering a mode that uses settings that work out of the box and detect you play on the Home Console or the Handheld like a console game.

this also will probably help improve the presence of their store on actual PCs. all games you buy on your Xbox will work on any PC, work on both their next gen systems, and will seamlessly share saves, achievements, online features etc.

it will finally truly unify their PC and Console games

Edgelord79

Gold Member
The idea that one of most successful companies in the history of the world kills everything it touches just seems weird to me. Playstation and Nintendo are obviously super successful but that doesn't equal "everything it touches dies". Id describe Xbox as just ok or average biz wise but not an unsuccessful product.
The context of this forum is gaming. Put two and two together.

If you think Xbox consoles are doing ok then I don’t know what to tell you.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't think Xbox has a closed eco-system starting from next-gen. I think their hardware becomes a side hustle, just like the Surface hardware is a side-hustle for Microsoft in general. They know Sony's done subsidising their console hardware (see: PS5 Pro price) so they don't have to loss lead. USD$1000.00 big boy PC-console hybrid and a USD$549.00 PC-console handheld that both turn a small profit on the hardware alone. They advertise them as Game Pass access points, but now with Steam games, PlayStation PC games, Epic games, etc. Moving forward, they just release their games everywhere - maybe with a period of Xbox hardware exclusivity. If you want Game Pass and early access to their games, you buy their hardware. If you don't, you buy their games wherever you wanna play. In theory, they can sell more games and subscriptions while not bleeding cash on their hardware. No idea if it's a good strategy, but it seems to be what their strategy is going to be.

100%. Think that's the only way they can survive in hardware.

Kacho

Steamdeck doesnt hold back PC. You check on a per game basis. This is what Steamdeck verified is. No one getting the handheld will be promised every game works. It will likely run all indies, Series S games and some newer stuff.
Pretty much. That's why I'm eager to see what Sony and Microsoft have planned if these handheld rumors are true. Both will be limited as far as what they can run so how do they tackle that? Software solutions? Cloud? It's going to be interesting.

I only see this working if they're not targeting the average Madden Mikey's and COD Joe's with the handheld device. I'm guessing the 'traditional' console is aimed at them, while the handheld is aimed at us neckbeards.

Topher

Gold Member
they clearly won't have a closed system. IMO

my prediction is this:
I think it becomes more and more likely that they will almost exactly copy the concept of the Steam Deck.

they will probably create a Game Mode for Windows 11 that allows you to boot into a controller friendly environment, but allows you to go onto the desktop to use a normal windows PC.
and that will then be the basis for how their next gen systems work.

they will heavily push their own store, probably offering "Xbox Optimised" games where developers can get verified by offering a mode that uses settings that work out of the box and detect you play on the Home Console or the Handheld like a console game.

this also will probably help improve the presence of their store on actual PCs. all games you buy on your Xbox will work on any PC, work on both their next gen systems, and will seamlessly share saves, achievements, online features etc.

it will finally truly unify their PC and Console games

I like it. MS has been resistant to device specific versions of Windows, but hopefully that will change.

The idea that one of most successful companies in the history of the world kills everything it touches just seems weird to me. Playstation and Nintendo are obviously super successful but that doesn't equal "everything it touches dies". Id describe Xbox as just ok or average biz wise but not an unsuccessful product.
MS get money from Enterprise, they don't market their product and they don't cater to their customers. They have a monopoly and are used to telling their customers "here is what we are going to do, you either get use to the changes or take a hike". And bosses don't care because they are not using the software, they leave their employees to work it out. Thus MS doesn't need to make better products because there is no alternative.

Microsoft is surprised that this doesn't work in Gaming; that somehow just TELLING people "you are going to become Game Streaming customers" doesn't magically make it happen. The idea that they need to MARKET their product also was a strange concept. What do you mean, we have to give customers what they want? Can't we just sell them what WE want to sell? Just tell them "It is the Future", that was what worked for every version of Windows!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, if they do bring out another traditional console out, I think it will probably be DOA especially if their games continue to be multiplatform. Personally, I think it’s pointless to bring out another console unless they really change the trajectory and strategies of the XBOX brand going forward and even that might not be enough because I think the damage is done.

reinking

Gold Member
I said a few years ago that I would not mind if Xbox just went with a partner for an Xbox branded PC. Not a hybrid, but one that their first party games could be optimized for. No, closed windows system of any kind. Now add the handheld (I did not think of that back then) and I believe the Xbox brand could still survive in the hardware space without them using it as a loss leader. The best chance for me to invest in their future hardware are these two options. I do not see myself buying the next version of a traditional console from Xbox unless they do something to knock my socks off.

pasterpl

Unfortunately, if they do bring out another traditional console out, I think it will probably be DOA especially if their games continue to be multiplatform. Personally, I think it’s pointless to bring out another console unless they really change the trajectory and strategies of the XBOX brand going forward and even that might not be enough because I think the damage is done.
It might be similar strategy to surface devices, where MS is not aiming to own the market of 2 in 1s but instead it is trying to innovate and doesn’t care about sales that much.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I wouldn't trust Windows Central at all.

The problem we have going on with gaming discourse is no one cares if they get things wrong. It's a joke. You bring this up in two years and it'll be a question of why are you bringing up old statements.

You can lie and shill with nearly zero consequences. Barely anyone will remember that he said this.

The internet was a mistake.

RickMasters

I said a few years ago that I would not mind if Xbox just went with a partner for an Xbox branded PC. Not a hybrid, but one that their first party games could be optimized for. No, closed windows system of any kind. Now add the handheld (I did not think of that back then) and I believe the Xbox brand could still survive in the hardware space without them using it as a loss leader. The best chance for me to invest in their future hardware are these two options. I do not see myself buying the next version of a traditional console from Xbox unless they do something to knock my socks off.

Honestly I’d hate for them to even try to I press somebody like you. Just based on what you said…… As a long time Xbox customer the last thing I want is some Under powerd handheld as their ‘next gen’ console….

reinking

Gold Member
Honestly I’d hate for them to even try to I press somebody like you. Just based on what you said…… As a long time Xbox customer the last thing I want is some Under powerd handheld as their ‘next gen’ console….

I too have been a long time Xbox customer but I was a Microsoft Windows games customer long before that. I only added the comment about the handheld because it seems like that is one of the directions they want to go (look at the thread title). I like their hardware but my XBSX has become redundant since I usually play their games on PC and obviously, looking at sales, their consoles are lagging behind the rest of the industry. I would rather they go with an Xbox branded PC than to have no Xbox hardware branding at all. Either way, it isn't going to hurt my feelings. I will either buy or not buy their product based on what they release.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Hilarious to me that judging by a lot of these comments, people haven't been paying attention to the Xbox app on pc.

It's only missing the compatibility layer at this point.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I'm a Commanders fan too so I feel your sadness. 😢

Steamdeck doesnt hold back PC. You check on a per game basis. This is what Steamdeck verified is. No one getting the handheld will be promised every game works. It will likely run all indies, Series S games and some newer stuff.

But that's not a good thing. And I doubt it'll be $500. It'll probably be $599 with 1 TB of storage. You say "some newer" stuff? That's bad.

What happens in the year 2030 when the Nvidia 6090 is really being utilized on PC and the PS6 has been out for 2 years and starts getting it's exclusive games? PSSR 3.0 maybe out by then and probably will have frame gen built-in.

That Xbox handheld won't be able to keep up.

Top Bottom