• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

jeez you guys are nuts I charge my phone every 2 days. Figure I might as well do a full battery drain then a full charge, two days leaves me at about 15-25% left.

I'd say I got a lemon, but I've had a few of them replaced (due to drops or what have you). I've just realized I'm more of a power user, I guess, although I wouldn't really consider myself one.

Milchjon

jeez you guys are nuts I charge my phone every 2 days. Figure I might as well do a full battery drain then a full charge, two days leaves me at about 15-25% left.

How? My phone probably barely lasts 2 days if I put it in airplane mode and never turn it on once...

I use my 800 as a secondary phone without mobile data connection. Which means I sometimes charge it but don't use or take it out the house. I don't think it lasts more than 2 days even then.

hadareud

The Translator
For the last week, I've only been charging my phone in the car (around 30 minutes twice a day) and not at all in the weekend and I had 20% left this morning. Moderate use with some streaming of music via Bluetooth at home in the evenings.

It's odd how one week battery life is amazing like that and the next three bloody thing is empty after half a day.

GTI Guy

You can read up on the different MVNOs at howardforums.com MVNO forum section. Personally, I use cricketwireless.com which is a subsidiary of ATT. The cheapest plan is $35/month for unlimited call/text with 1GB of high speed data assuming that you use credit-card auto-pay. You can also put friends/family on your plan to get 5 phones for $100/month.

Other MVNOs are StraightTalk (ATT or Verizon), Ting, T-mobile, Page Plus, Consumer Cellular, Tracfone, Airvoice, Virgin, MetroPCS.

StraightTalk and Cricket are the two bigger MVNOs in my opinion.

Thanks for the info!

NeOak

For the last week, I've only been charging my phone in the car (around 30 minutes twice a day) and not at all in the weekend and I had 20% left this morning. Moderate use with some streaming of music via Bluetooth at home in the evenings.

It's odd how one week battery life is amazing like that and the next three bloody thing is empty after half a day.

Think of it as a girl.

Sometimes its that time of the month, sometimes it isn't!

I can't believe Xbox music still doesn't support background downloads, or even under the lockscreen XD

Do they honestly expect people to leave their phone unlocked, attending every few minutes to make sure the screen won't lock to download a large library? I could understand allowing background downloading only when plugged in, but not at all?

Also, I've noticed some songs from my library were missing, went to re-add them and realize they are no longer streameable and that I had to purchase them individually. WTF? Okay, I get, some deals have an expiry date, but can't they work out a deal so songs you added to the library are yours forever? It's not even not being able to stream them that is the worst part, but for they to be removed from your library without any notice. How can they expect people to use (and pay) for the service if I can't even rely on the integrity of the library I'm trying to build up?

dLMN8R

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/7/7173451/my-name-is-dan-and-i-had-a-bent-iphone

Verge guy has kept his iPhone in a case, never abused it, and it bent for no reason.

He then proceeds to write about how awesome the experience was at the apple store and how the process only took 20 minutes.

WTF, any other flagship phone, especially WP, that bent like that would have been crucified. Instead, this article is written as if exchanging your phone is pleasurable. Why don't you discuss the design flaw? What Apple plans to do after people's warranty expires?
This is like a textbook definitely of unrecognized privilege.

Yes, Mr. Verge writer, I'm sure it's so awesome to be able to have time during the day to find an Apple store, drive there, park there, and take 20 minutes (I call bullshit on that one) to get your product replaced. You know, the product that your site was previously proclaiming didn't have the problem you just encountered.

What about people who don't live right next to an Apple store?
What about people who actually work during the day and can't make it to one? Or have busy weekends when they can (and shouldn't have to be) bothered?

Tomcat

I can't believe Xbox music still doesn't support background downloads, or even under the lockscreen XD

Do they honestly expect people to leave their phone unlocked, attending every few minutes to make sure the screen won't lock to download a large library? I could understand allowing background downloading only when plugged in, but not at all?

Also, I've noticed some songs from my library were missing, went to re-add them and realize they are no longer streameable and that I had to purchase them individually. WTF? Okay, I get, some deals have an expiry date, but can't they work out a deal so songs you added to the library are yours forever? It's not even not being able to stream them that is the worst part, but for they to be removed from your library without any notice. How can they expect people to use (and pay) for the service if I can't even rely on the integrity of the library I'm trying to build up?

Yeah can't understand what's going on. Nokia maps doesn't support it too. So does the facebook app. Who is programming these apps because you sure can do background downloading.

hitgirl

How? My phone probably barely lasts 2 days if I put it in airplane mode and never turn it on once...

I use my 800 as a secondary phone without mobile data connection. Which means I sometimes charge it but don't use or take it out the house. I don't think it lasts more than 2 days even then.

Hmm dunno, guess I don't use my phone a lot :p

Got an email from the MS Store with a sneak peek at their Black Friday deals. The unlocked 1020 is listed but the price is not shown. It's currently $550.

Ape

Banned
This is like a textbook definitely of unrecognized privilege.

Yes, Mr. Verge writer, I'm sure it's so awesome to be able to have time during the day to find an Apple store, drive there, park there, and take 20 minutes (I call bullshit on that one) to get your product replaced. You know, the product that your site was previously proclaiming didn't have the problem you just encountered.

What about people who don't live right next to an Apple store?
What about people who actually work during the day and can't make it to one? Or have busy weekends when they can (and shouldn't have to be) bothered?

I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

derFeef

2695733-post-31458-jim-carrey-disgust-puke-gif-du-5lr8.gif

catmincer

This is what a cheap smartphone should be. Especially with the Chinese android manufacturers and Motorola showing you can get something great for not much money.

kharma45

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Maybe MS noticed that they weren't losing sales in the selfie demographic. Hard to imagine offering a smartphone for sale that literally has no front facing camera.

Although I think their Asha phones used to have a neat app to use the normal camera for selfies - basically it would use face detection and voice prompts to get your face in the middle of the screen, even though you couldn't see the screen. Something I kind of expected the Lumia Selfie app to do (especially because rear cameras are almost always better quality than the front ones)

Milchjon

Maybe MS noticed that they weren't losing sales in the selfie demographic. Hard to imagine offering a smartphone for sale that literally has no front facing camera.

Although I think their Asha phones used to have a neat app to use the normal camera for selfies - basically it would use face detection and voice prompts to get your face in the middle of the screen, even though you couldn't see the screen. Something I kind of expected the Lumia Selfie app to do (especially because rear cameras are almost always better quality than the front ones)

It does that.

Also, the Verge article once again points out how pretty much all of WP's killer apps are now better on other platforms. With no real flagships, Android L's looks, other cameras improving and Cortana probably going multiplatform, there's really little reason to stay.

I mean, look at this shit. Office hasn't really improved on WP in 4 years.

3D9nz0k.png

You know what sad is that the Band app for Windo s Phone is worst than Android version. The Windows Phone one hasn't properly sync since the daylight saving time snafu that broke the app.

The one on Android has been working fine.

Milchjon

How do they justify the 735 now compared to the 535? Better screen, looks and back camera, sure, but all these differences seem marginal considering the fucking thing costs 2.5x as much as the price they aim for with the 535.

kharma45

How do they justify the 735 now compared to the 535? Better screen, looks and back camera, sure, but all these differences seem marginal considering the fucking thing costs 2.5x as much as the price they aim for with the 535.

It'll probably be around double for us, weighing them up the 735 has:

-4G
-Qi charging
-ClearBlack 720p screen
-Better stills camera
-Better video camera
-Nicer design
-Bigger battery (2200mAH vs 1905)
-SD400
-Super Sensitive touch

this_guy

The same can be said about the price of the Lumia 830 vs the Lumia 735. I was really hoping the price of the Lumia 830 would be lower.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It does that.

Also, the Verge article once again points out how pretty much all of WP's killer apps are now better on other platforms. With no real flagships, Android L's looks, other cameras improving and Cortana probably going multiplatform, there's really little reason to stay.

I mean, look at this shit. Office hasn't really improved on WP in 4 years.

3D9nz0k.png

He says that Office on Android is better. How? Is it some beta version I don't have? Because the version of Office I have on my M8 is garbage.

Lumia selfie app does do this with the rear camera

Top Bottom