• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Tom Warren wrote an article on how MS is leaving WP behind, and I have to agree.

This is the first time in the 3 years that I've been on WP where I see no reason to stay. I've always been a huge WP fanboy, but for the first time I see neither a way nor a reason to argue in its favor. Everything I've loved about the platform either exists on other OSs or has been dropped from WP.

Right now it's easier to be a MS fan on iOS than on WP.

I am switching to using Windows Phone this week because I am tired of crappy pictures on my OnePlus (most of the time it's decent with the latest update) but I prefer the 1020 by far. The zoom and crop feature is probably the most underrated feature of the 1020 and one I miss the most. I also miss a lot of what Window Phone is doing right, like the People hub integration, live tiles, and the UI is still a joy to use. That said, it's really hard to go back to some of the apps on Windows Phone, it's really outdated after you have use the Android or iOs version.

I will probably keep the 1020 until someone make a killer Camera with Phone but it's hard to stay on Windows Phone when the best they have to offer this year is the 830.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
HTC's cameras are surprisingly garbage for all the hoople they got.

Only Samsung has good cameras on android, and even then, they are still generally not as good as lumia or iPhone cameras. Of course I haven't used the note 4 yet and that seems to be the top end of android cameras right now. But going from a Lumia to the HTC m8 camera was a huge mistake for me.

And to add to the speculation of MS services on other platforms, I wish we had alumia android phone. Or that apple would improve the OS to make it more engaging to use. As it stands, I miss windows phone but the app gap is huge, and the latest gmail update that allows me to manage my yahoo and outlook accounts is amazing.

hadareud

The Translator
Went to a security conference today. The amount of WPs I saw was ridiculous, probably close to 30 or 40% of people had one.

this_guy

Only Samsung has good cameras on android, and even then, they are still generally not as good as lumia or iPhone cameras. Of course I haven't used the note 4 yet and that seems to be the top end of android cameras right now. But going from a Lumia to the HTC m8 camera was a huge mistake for me.

That's been the general perception, but I've been very impressed with the camera on my LG G3, especially in low light situations. I went to New York a few weeks ago, and several of my friends have either an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6+, but all of the night shots came out much better on my phone. Last few phones for me have been LG G3, LG G2, iPhone 5s, Nokia Lumia 925, HTC 8x, and Lumia 920. (I change phones every few months) I bought a Nexus 5 when it launched last year, but returned it within 10 days because the camera and battery life were a downgrade compared to the Lumia 925 I was using at the time.

I think the iPhone camera is very good, but overrated the way everyone always rates it as a top camera. Check out gsmarena's camera shoot out over the summer (iPhone 6 wasn't out yet so they used the iPhone 5s) and see how many of the Android phones it beats out. http://www.gsmarena.com/camera_shootout-review-1104.php

n64coder

but the M8 has a camera that is absolutely atrocious. The camera is at least five years behind the competition, quality wise.
My brother picked up this phone recently and he thought the camera was alright. What are the main issues with it? Is there a good webpage somewhere that summarizes the issues?

Went to a security conference today. The amount of WPs I saw was ridiculous, probably close to 30 or 40% of people had one.

My brother-in-law just got the Lumia 630 and is trying to get his work email/calendar on the phone. His company's IT guy told him to get MobileIron and that they don't support WP. So I'm trying to help him and it was interesting reading MobileIron's website where you don't need an app but that the security features were built into the phone. Cool.

My brother-in-law just got the Lumia 630 and is trying to get his work email/calendar on the phone. His company's IT guy told him to get MobileIron and that they don't support WP. So I'm trying to help him and it was interesting reading MobileIron's website where you don't need an app but that the security features were built into the phone. Cool.

Yeah, it seems a lot of what they offer is simply built into the product. Pushing exchange policies will take care of the vast majority of things.

hwalker84

I'm stuck with WP. They have the OS I prefer. I hate Android and dislike the iPhone. But if things do change soon on the hardware side I don't know how much longer I can stay. My Lumia 1520 was supposed to be temporary until a Flagship came out at the end of the year (which didn't happen). A year later and it's still the most complete phone on AT&T with no flagship in sight.

I'm stuck with WP. They have the OS I prefer. I hate Android and dislike the iPhone. But if things do change soon on the hardware side I don't know how much longer I can stay. My Lumia 1520 was supposed to be temporary until a Flagship came out at the end of the year (which didn't happen). A year later and it's still the most complete phone on AT&T with no flagship in sight.

If there is no flagship in the spring........I will consider the nokia purchase a failure. It's understandable that some stuff is delayed due to the purchase, you can't legally do different things whilest in limbo. Also, it takes a long time to develop a phone. But if they don't make a flagship by spring, the team has failed. Period.

Also, I want a surface (ZuneHD) phone.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
My brother picked up this phone recently and he thought the camera was alright. What are the main issues with it? Is there a good webpage somewhere that summarizes the issues?

I don't even understand this, unless his company is not using exchange/office 365 theres no reason why his Lumina can't connect to their email.

hwalker84

If there is no flagship in the spring........I will consider the nokia purchase a failure. It's understandable that some stuff is delayed due to the purchase, you can't legally do different things whilest in limbo. Also, it takes a long time to develop a phone. But if they don't make a flagship by spring, the team has failed. Period.

Also, I want a surface (ZuneHD) phone.

Agreed on both fronts. Either a high end Lumia flagship or Surface Phone flagship. Personally the Surface brand and team makes the best products out of Microsoft and I'd love to see them on a phone.

kharma45

We've MobileIron at work for iPhones. For Android and WP you have to use Good for Enterprise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I still way prefer WP home screen to Android and iOS. Until things get really desperate, I don't forsee switching.

Same. Only problem for me is apps, and even then it is often ok. But if you hear about a new app you *know* it'll be on iPhone, you *expect* it'll be on android (perhaps a couple of weeks later), and you *wonder* if it'll be on WP

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I think its pretty obvious they are leaving it behind.... but thats not a bad thing per se. They are clearing the deck for windows 10 and while I know they have done this before (wp7->8) it finally feels like they are doing the right thing this time and fully unify both and get them on the same release cadence.

I use my Surface and Dell V8P a lot and I often find myself trying to do Windows swipe gestures when I use my phone. Like swiping from the left to switch apps or swipe down to close them.

I'm really looking forward to unifying the OSs.

n64coder

We've MobileIron at work for iPhones. For Android and WP you have to use Good for Enterprise.

MobileIron is in the Google Play Store so I'm surprised that you use a different app for Android.

I don't even understand this, unless his company is not using exchange/office 365 theres no reason why his Lumina can't connect to their email.

If he tries to use the standard "add Microsoft Exchange Account" it doesn't work. Here's an article from MobileIron that details how you set it up for WP.

I use my Surface and Dell V8P a lot and I often find myself trying to do Windows swipe gestures when I use my phone. Like swiping from the left to switch apps or swipe down to close them.

I'm really looking forward to unifying the OSs.

Same here. I tried both tablets at Best Buy the other day and I missed the WP's Word Flow keyboard.

Be careful what you wish for. I'm really starting to get disillusioned with new software updates on old hardware, I'd rather "suffer" with less features and have a phone that's not slow and chock full of loading screens.

The unfortunate part of WP being so locked down is there's no way to stay on WP8 but still get security updates. These devices are gonna end up being more disposable than iPhones or android phones.

hadareud

The Translator
Be careful what you wish for. I'm really starting to get disillusioned with new software updates on old hardware, I'd rather "suffer" with less features and have a phone that's not slow and chock full of loading screens.

The unfortunate part of WP being so locked down is there's no way to stay on WP8 but still get security updates. These devices are gonna end up being more disposable than iPhones or android phones.

Why would WP10 be any slower/more resource hungry, though?

Going by past history and their relentless drive for the budget market that will not slow down considering the abandonment of the X and Asha series, I'd be very surprised if it were.

MCD

Why would WP10 be any slower/more resource hungry, though?

Going by past history and their relentless drive for the budget market that will not slow down considering the abandonment of the X and Asha series, I'd be very surprised if it were.

8.1 is slower than 8.

Resuming...

To be clear, 8.1 performs wonderfully on my 830. But it was hell on my 520.

this has to do with RAM. 1gb ram phones should be hitting that Resuming screen seldomly. This partially has to do with memory usage, IE is often a cause of it if you switch apps a lot and load heavy videos. I believe part of this was a design change around memory limitations on devices. The OS itself had a very slight increase in memory footprint from 8.0.

I had also noticed a weird effect of sometimes an upgraded device would hit the resuming... screen a lot more than it should. Doing a fresh flash/Reset-My-Phone would fix it. It always perturbed me to see that, as the upgrade experience should be identical to the new phone experience. Note: this was before it was released to the public, so it's very possible my experiences were eradicated with the final optimizations of an official release build (and there are many).

Terry is big on reducing memory footprint, and I believe is making Windows more memory conscious. Your flagship phones should remain performant with an upgrade to W10.

That being said, I certainly can't guarantee anything, and I'm not privy to those types of discussions...only with discussions I have around the water cooler and through presentations/docs/etc.

NeOak

this has to do with RAM. 1gb ram phones should be hitting that Resuming screen seldomly. This partially has to do with memory usage, IE is often a cause of it if you switch apps a lot and load heavy videos. I believe part of this was a design change around memory limitations on devices. The OS itself had a very slight increase in memory footprint from 8.0.

I had also noticed a weird effect of sometimes an upgraded device would hit the resuming... screen a lot more than it should. Doing a fresh flash/Reset-My-Phone would fix it. It always perturbed me to see that, as the upgrade experience should be identical to the new phone experience. Note: this was before it was released to the public, so it's very possible my experiences were eradicated with the final optimizations of an official release build (and there are many).

Terry is big on reducing memory footprint, and I believe is making Windows more memory conscious. Your flagship phones should remain performant with an upgrade to W10.

That being said, I certainly can't guarantee anything, and I'm not privy to those types of discussions...only with discussions I have around the water cooler and through presentations/docs/etc.

1. Install a mic on the WP team watercooler!
2. Paging WMPU about 512MB plebs vs 1GB nobles and 2GB master race,.

Nero3000

I feel like we had the same feeling just before 8.1 was announced (doom & gloom, moving away from WP).

Although lollipop is now a viable alternative. If only the nexus 6 was really a nexus 5 update 1.

hitgirl

Trying to cancel my xbox music account and it just loads into a blank page. Lol how crooked is that, it just so happens that renew my account button works, but cancel does nothing.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up an orange flip case for my 830 at the MS Store. Cool design, I like the way it is integrates with the back cover.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Same here. I tried both tablets at Best Buy the other day and I missed the WP's Word Flow keyboard.

Actually, this is true for me as well. I keep wanting to swipe when I'm using the on screen keyboard on the SP3. Hopefully that makes it's way to Windows.....that and Cortana.

I just loce Windows Phone, but I couldn't stand any more 'resuming' on my screens. So after 3 years I dropped Windows Phone completely and switched back to iOS. Best switch ever; my cheap old iPhone5c is faster than my Windows Phone 8 ever was.

Still sad that they killed such a fast and fun OS.

Vyer

I think the iPhone camera is very good, but overrated the way everyone always rates it as a top camera. Check out gsmarena's camera shoot out over the summer (iPhone 6 wasn't out yet so they used the iPhone 5s) and see how many of the Android phones it beats out. http://www.gsmarena.com/camera_shootout-review-1104.php

Don't really get using multiple resizes and crops to judge photos. That comparison seems pointless at best and disingenuous at worst.

Milchjon

So.. I commented on a FB pic by a shop. They replied.

Tapping the toast notification takes me to the comment within the app. Tapping on Facebook's notification in the list within the app opens the pic on the m.facebook.com site. WTH?

Top Bottom