• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

You know what sad is that the Band app for Windo s Phone is worst than Android version. The Windows Phone one hasn't properly sync since the daylight saving time snafu that broke the app.

The one on Android has been working fine.
My band syncs fine. The day of daylight savings got screwed up but worked as it should the next day.

Although my notifications for whatapp haven't showed but that may have been due to the whatapp updates.

GTI Guy

It does that.

Also, the Verge article once again points out how pretty much all of WP's killer apps are now better on other platforms. With no real flagships, Android L's looks, other cameras improving and Cortana probably going multiplatform, there's really little reason to stay.

I mean, look at this shit. Office hasn't really improved on WP in 4 years.

3D9nz0k.png

Shameful

Lumia event in the UK on the 19th. US market made their choice (Galaxy/iPhone) guess you cant blame them for focusing in other markets.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lumia selfie app does do this with the rear camera

Oh that's cool then. Daughter can stick with the 530. Although she could probably have my 920 which is sitting in a drawer. Don't think I can sell it because it has a ding where I dropped it once.

Paganmoon

That is actually pretty awesome to hear.

It really is, was going to download it on my work phone (iPhone 4), but figured I'd check on my private phone first, you know, just in case, boy was I pleasantly surprised when it was one of the first results. Just hope it plays well with connecting to the PS4.

KageMaru

Anyone know what "restore data" is and why it chewed through 266MB of my data? I didn't do a backup restore our anything like that.

Ganondolf

my whatsapp tile has darken and pressing on the tile or the app in the app menu does not launch the app.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is there a way to fix this without deleting and re-installing app?

I have turned the phone off and on but that did not fix it.

Pic:
temporary_zps762aee5a.png

GTI Guy

my whatsapp tile has darken and pressing on the tile or the app in the app menu does not launch the app.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is there a way to fix this without deleting and re-installing app?

Pic:

Did you try unpinning it and repining it?

n64coder

So did Microsoft have the Lumia conference today (Nov 11th)? I see news articles talking about it happening but I don't see any actual discussion/news on it.

joshschw

Pic:

Load the store up and see if the app is stuck waiting for you to confirm something about an app update for WhatsApp, otherwise you'll have to delete and reinstall I imagine.

Officially the best battery I've had. Took off charger 14 hours ago, used moderately throughout the day (regular texts, GAF, hour of podcasts,a little Bluetooth) and I'm at 51%. Hell yes.

WP really shines on 5" and above I think. Gives the OS room to breathe.

dLMN8R

Officially the best battery I've had. Took off charger 14 hours ago, used moderately throughout the day (regular texts, GAF, hour of podcasts,a little Bluetooth) and I'm at 51%. Hell yes.

WP really shines on 5" and above I think. Gives the OS room to breathe.

Same here.

Every morning between being in bed and on the bus on the way to work, I use my phone actively browsing the web and such for an hour. During the day, still use it more. Use it again on the way home, and then quite a bit at night.

Everything is on - Bluetooth connected to my Band, data, wi-fi, etc. Never do any battery saving measures. Haven't gone out of my way to block any apps from running in the background. Just completely default settings with no messing with it at all.

From 7AM this morning to 10PM tonight, I'm now at 47% battery.

Milchjon

Why is the mail app still apparently the only one where deleting the notification from the notification center clears the tile?

I want that for all apps pls.

Paganmoon

Why is the mail app still apparently the only one where deleting the notification from the notification center clears the tile?

I want that for all apps pls.

Doesn't always clear the tile when I clear the notification for the mailapp either, it's very inconsistent.

My band syncs fine. The day of daylight savings got screwed up but worked as it should the next day.

Although my notifications for whatapp haven't showed but that may have been due to the whatapp updates.
I word it poorly, it sync OK but the display data on the app is a day behind last week after the daylight saving. I haven't check to see if it is correct now since I have been on my Android phone.

The Verge shits on the Band by rating it a 6.3 then another writer compares the Band with other comparable fitness watches and the Band is the closest to the chest strap as far as heart rate accuracy and is proclaimed the best of the bunch.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/12/7193493/7-minutes-in-hell-workout-microsoft-band-basis-peak

The Microsoft Band is my new favorite fitness device, because it can measure both exercise-grade heart rate with impressive accuracy and it can automatically count reps.

The Verge shits on the Band by rating it a 6.3 then another writer compares the Band with other comparable fitness watches and the Band is the closest to the chest strap as far as heart rate accuracy and is proclaimed the best of the bunch.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/12/7193493/7-minutes-in-hell-workout-microsoft-band-basis-peak

Everytime I try to give The Verge another chance, I see another cringeworthy piece written by David Pierce. His views and opinions are oftentimes directly orthogonal to the way I use and view tech, which makes the site less and less relevant to me. If they're aiming to give a holistic and cultural approach to reviewing technology, they better well represent the reader. Perhaps they are for the vast majority of people that read that site. Increasingly, they have completely abandoned me (or perhaps I have completely shedded their viewpoint from my personality?).

Klocker

Everytime I try to give The Verge another chance, I see another cringeworthy piece written by David Pierce. His views and opinions are oftentimes directly orthogonal to the way I use and view tech, which makes the site less and less relevant to me. If they're aiming to give a holistic and cultural approach to reviewing technology, they better well represent the reader. Perhaps they are for the vast majority of people that read that site. Increasingly, they have completely abandoned me (or perhaps I have completely shedded their viewpoint from my personality?).

took the thoughts right out of my head

but said it more graciously ;) than I would

maeh2k

The verge listed the Band's cons-
Expensive
Battery Life

We all know the apple watch will cost twice as much and only have half the battery life. Yet, yes, they'll score it an 8 or 9.

But the Apple watch will be a smart watch and not a fitness band.

dLMN8R

But the Apple watch will be a smart watch and not a fitness band.

The Microsoft Band gives me ever feature I'd want out of a smartwatch, except maybe bluetooth music playback without a dependency on a phone.

It also does a lot more than the Apple Watch does, with built-in GPS, and far less dependency on a phone, despite being a hell of a lot cheaper and being fully cross-platform.

The Microsoft Band gives me ever feature I'd want out of a smartwatch, except maybe bluetooth music playback without a dependency on a phone.

It also does a lot more than the Apple Watch does, with built-in GPS, and far less dependency on a phone, despite being a hell of a lot cheaper and being fully cross-platform.

but, you see, Band is not a smart watch. The iWatch is!

Klocker

Anyone know why Cortana won't launch under lock screen like Bing search used to do on my Samsung ATIV neo?

I even tried the samsung ATT 8.1 update that released yesterday thinking it is a Samsung issue but still did not work. Phone ended up going back to developer preview version anyway.

I have "allow search under lock" selected in settings.

maeh2k

but, you see, Band is not a smart watch. The iWatch is!

The difference between the Band and Android/iOS watches may seem minor for now. Smart watches haven't really proven themselves. For now there are no 'must-have' apps for either of them, but that might change. The Band is not a platform. It'll be the 'Asha phone' to Apple's 'iPhone' -- a good device in its own right, but it's not really competing.

Anyone know why Cortana won't launch under lock screen like Bing search used to do on my Samsung ATIV neo?

I even tried the samsung ATT 8.1 update that released yesterday thinking it is a Samsung issue but still did not work. Phone ended up going back to developer preview version anyway.

I have "allow search under lock" selected in settings.
Try holding the search button? Works for me.

dLMN8R

The difference between the Band and Android/iOS watches may seem minor for now. Smart watches haven't really proven themselves. For now there are no 'must-have' apps for either of them, but that might change. The Band is not a platform. It'll be the 'Asha phone' to Apple's 'iPhone' -- a good device in its own right, but it's not really competing.

Microsoft has already confirmed that there will be an SDK for the Band early next year.

I do agree with you in regards to their differences. I actually do think that there is a large and intentional difference between the two. It will be interesting to see how well the iWatch can deliver

hitgirl

My 920 is a brick. Woke up this morning and it just wont turn on. It's only 2 months old or so. Any tricks to get it alive?

Paganmoon

My 920 is a brick. Woke up this morning and it just wont turn on. It's only 2 months old or so. Any tricks to get it alive?

A 2 month old 920? Didn't know they still sold them "new"?

Anyway, it doesn't do anything while plugged in the charger either? Hold the power button and the volume down button for 10 seconds (at the same time) should force a reset (not factory reset, just a phone reset/restart).

hitgirl

A 2 month old 920? Didn't know they still sold them "new"?

Anyway, it doesn't do anything while plugged in the charger either? Hold the power button and the volume down button for 10 seconds (at the same time) should force a reset (not factory reset, just a phone reset/restart).

New, as in it probably sat in the box for a few years until I got it :p

Thanks, that worked!

hwalker84

Really need my 1520 back. For some reason my 1020 is a dog now. Weird little glitches and horrific battery. Got my tracking number Wednesday but it was just the shipping label being created.

Milchjon

Tom Warren wrote an article on how MS is leaving WP behind, and I have to agree.

This is the first time in the 3 years that I've been on WP where I see no reason to stay. I've always been a huge WP fanboy, but for the first time I see neither a way nor a reason to argue in its favor. Everything I've loved about the platform either exists on other OSs or has been dropped from WP.

Right now it's easier to be a MS fan on iOS than on WP.

Tom Warren wrote an article on how MS is leaving WP behind, and I have to agree.

This is the first time in the 3 years that I've been on WP where I see no reason to stay. I've always been a huge WP fanboy, but for the first time I see neither a way nor a reason to argue in its favor. Everything I've loved about the platform either exists on other OSs or has been dropped from WP.

Yeah, but have you seen Android 5.0?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I had a dream the other night that my icon got updated to the latest denim firmware and my phone got even better and faster. Then I woke up, feels bad.

jagowar

I think its pretty obvious they are leaving it behind.... but thats not a bad thing per se. They are clearing the deck for windows 10 and while I know they have done this before (wp7->8) it finally feels like they are doing the right thing this time and fully unify both and get them on the same release cadence.

Traded my Lumia for an HTC One M8 a week before heading to China/Shanghai/Hangzhou/Chengdu/Tibet. Big fucking mistake. The Lumia had a bug where call volume was awful so I had to ditch it eventually, but the M8 has a camera that is absolutely atrocious. The camera is at least five years behind the competition, quality wise.

Regret.

Top Bottom