• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I enabled two step verification on my windows account and now I get a sign in error when I try to play any game on my 1020. Can't find any help online. Thoughts?

Got that 830.

I quite like the screen, so far.

Not sure what to do with this FitBit that I got for free, though. Anyone use one? I've never had a fit band.

Got that 830.

I quite like the screen, so far.

Not sure what to do with this FitBit that I got for free, though. Anyone use one? I've never had a fit band.

Is there even a Fitbit app on Windows Phone? I look at one today for my wife and on the package only said support for Android and iOS along with MacOS and Windows PC. I don't have Fitbit but I do have Microsoft Band, FitBit that you get is the basic one but it will track your step and sleep. It's nice way to give you data on how active (or not) you are and how well you sleep. It's not the most accurate but it does give you nice snap shot of your day.

I really enjoy the Band and give me a lot of data on how well or poorly I am sleeping.

I enabled two step verification on my windows account and now I get a sign in error when I try to play any game on my 1020. Can't find any help online. Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure you just have to generate a Special Password then re-log into your Microsoft account on your phone.

Is there even a Fitbit app on Windows Phone? I look at one today for my wife and on the package only said support for Android and iOS along with MacOS and Windows PC. I don't have Fitbit but I do have Microsoft Band, FitBit that you get is the basic one but it will track your step and sleep. It's nice way to give you data on how active (or not) you are and how well you sleep. It's not the most accurate but it does give you nice snap shot of your day.

I really enjoy the Band and give me a lot of data on how well or poorly I am sleeping.

Yes, there is a fitbit app.

clav

Teaser_632x432.jpg

Interested in carrier availability.

hitgirl

My 30 day trial for Xbox Music is ending and I don't think i'll re up my subscription. It feels like a service that should be either free or come with an xbox live subscription. It also seems like One Drive music integration will be all that I need, because the biggest feature of Xbox Music is downloading albums that I have out of the cloud.

PG2G

Am I the only one that gets kinda annoyed that windows central is also a phone accessories shop and they post bullshit case and screen protector ads everyday?

Am I the only one that gets kinda annoyed that windows central is also a phone accessories shop and they post bullshit case and screen protector ads everyday?

It's probably too hard to get quality advertisers for a niche site like that. All the apps they post are paid ads as well. WMPU is/was way worse in that regard, though.

Paganmoon

I'm more annoyed that it's supposed to be windows phone central, but they post tons of Xbox news.

I hate their logo much, much more. A logo shouldn't point in the downward direction. It can't get more negative than that and it makes it look like a sinking ship. Sure, fitting for the platform, but that's not how you want to present yourself. Just fucking mirror it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Also no one went HTC one huh?

I've had the android version for months now, but I can't do it anymore, I think I need to sell it. I care too much about camera, given that I like to take pictures of my young kids and the island scenery. If you don't care about the camera, I couldn't recommend it enough. The hardware is the best looking, the speakers and screen are top notch. But going from a 1020 to this phone was a huge mistake.

hwalker84

I've had the android version for months now, but I can't do it anymore, I think I need to sell it. I care too much about camera, given that I like to take pictures of my young kids and the island scenery. If you don't care about the camera, I couldn't recommend it enough. The hardware is the best looking, the speakers and screen are top notch. But going from a 1020 to this phone was a huge mistake.
Camera isn't huge to me since I still have my 1020 and have no interest in getting rid of it.

I hate their logo much, much more. A logo shouldn't point in the downward direction. It can't get more negative than that and it makes it look like a sinking ship. Sure, fitting for the platform, but that's not how you want to present yourself. Just fucking mirror it.

Ahahaha, wow. Never noticed how much it looks like a sinking ship.

maeh2k

Not just the platform, but Microsoft's entire market share of computing. So I'd argue it's a really great choice. Compared to the arrow in the FedEx logo, incorporating that symbolism is on a wholly different level!

hwalker84

I couldn't pull the trigger on the HTC One. Maybe when I get my 1520 back and can sell it/trade it in. But to drop $720 after taxes... Just wasn't feeling it enough. That 830 is sexy though. If it was $350 I would've left with it.

Also all phones got the AT&T windows phone treatment. No wifi. Case was pulled off the back of the 830. HTC One had the Android OS sticker. Sigh.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Camera isn't huge to me since I still have my 1020 and have no interest in getting rid of it.

I have my 1020 too, but it hasn't worked out and it's a hassle for me to switch phones or carry around two phones everywhere, so I've missed way too many good pictures. YMMV

GTI Guy

Thinking about an 830 unlocked...I guess it's the International version?

Is this the same hardware that was released for ATT?

I'm thinking about using straight talk wireless. I assume it won't give me LTE speed but 3g at least?

hwalker84

I have my 1020 too, but it hasn't worked out and it's a hassle for me to switch phones or carry around two phones everywhere, so I've missed way too many good pictures. YMMV

I pretty much only take pictures when I travel. Which I switch completely to the 1020. I'll see how I feel when my 1520 gets back.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I pretty much only take pictures when I travel. Which I switch completely to the 1020. I'll see how I feel when my 1520 gets back.

My brother just bought an 830 from at&t, it's a gorgeous phone. I even like the black trim, and with the fitbit flex, it's a great value too. He loves it, and now I have phone envy. I may go out and buy it tomorrow.

If you want the android version of the One with the dot view case, pm me. I've enjoyed every second with it except when I have to take a picture. So close to perfection.

My brother just bought an 830 from at&t, it's a gorgeous phone. I even like the black trim, and with the fitbit flex, it's a great value too. He loves it, and now I have phone envy. I may go out and buy it tomorrow.

If you want the android version of the One with the dot view case, pm me. I've enjoyed every second with it except when I have to take a picture. So close to perfection.
Really, please tell us more about the black trim. It really doesn't look as nice as the silver trim, at least in pictures.

hwalker84

Thinking about an 830 unlocked...I guess it's the International version?

Is this the same hardware that was released for ATT?

I'm thinking about using straight talk wireless. I assume it won't give me LTE speed but 3g at least?

Straight talk does LTE now.

NeOak

Yeah but does the international version of the 830 support LTE on ATT/Straight Talk? I'm not sure if there is any difference in the international version of the 830 vs the one ATT just released.
No, it does not.

The LTE bands are different.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Really, please tell us more about the black trim. It really doesn't look as nice as the silver trim, at least in pictures.

My brother used the black cover, and it matched really well. It's a very dark trim that looks pretty classy in person. Maybe the silver trim looks better, I don't know, but the black looks better in person than in pictures IMO.

Damn, schuey has been pimping this phone for weeks now and I've been ignoring him, it really does look a flagship in terms of materials and design. I'd love to have a better soc inside but I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My brother used the black cover, and it matched really well. It's a very dark trim that looks pretty classy in person. Maybe the silver trim looks better, I don't know, but the black looks better in person than in pictures IMO.

Damn, schuey has been pimping this phone for weeks now and I've been ignoring him, it really does look a flagship in terms of materials and design. I'd love to have a better soc inside but I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

Lol, it really would be amazing if it had an 800 chip in it. The screen is quite impressive for being only 720p.

Can the unlocked 930 be used with ATT unlike the Verizon Icon? Remember the last time I was here people said the 1520 could be had for cheap but I'm not sure if I want to spring for that size. Ebay still the best place if I go for that?

Can the unlocked 930 be used with ATT unlike the Verizon Icon? Remember the last time I was here people said the 1520 could be had for cheap but I'm not sure if I want to spring for that size. Ebay still the best place if I go for that?

Yes, but the international version doesn't support LTE band use by at&t.

dLMN8R

My wife and I got us some 830s today. Both of us love it. Super thin and light after using 920s for the last two years, they're definitely faster at general navigation of the OS and web browsing, and the slightly bigger screen is nice too!

Basically everything is better than the 920 by a small to hefty margin.

Yes, but the international version doesn't support LTE band use by at&t.
Ah bummer, will just have to get a 1520 then. Or I might get a Blackberry Passport while waiting for the new flag ship.
I like dead platforms
920 is just getting long in the tooth. Lots of hitching

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just got a google inbox invite and tried the website on my 930 but it is coming up with a landing page and a link to the google play store. I don't suppose there is any way to get it to give me a working website? Obviously there isn't a windows phone app

maeh2k

just got a google inbox invite and tried the website on my 930 but it is coming up with a landing page and a link to the google play store. I don't suppose there is any way to get it to give me a working website? Obviously there isn't a windows phone app

Only works with IE5... uhm, I mean Chrome:
"An invitation will also give you access to the desktop version at inbox.google.com, but only via the Chrome browser."

GTI Guy

I'm thinking about going with a service like straight talk for my wireless. I'd like to compare the various other companies like straight talk. Is there a good website that breaks down all of these companies and what carrier towers they use on the back end? I have ATT phones so I can't use them with Virgin mobile since they use Sprint...at least I think so :)

tldr; is there somewhere online that compiles all of the no contract wireless companies and what cell carrier backbone they use to find all the companies that will support my existing ATT phone

Damn even my TLDR is long

I'm thinking about going with a service like straight talk for my wireless. I'd like to compare the various other companies like straight talk. Is there a good website that breaks down all of these companies and what carrier towers they use on the back end? I have ATT phones so I can't use them with Virgin mobile since they use Sprint...at least I think so :)

tldr; is there somewhere online that compiles all of the no contract wireless companies and what cell carrier backbone they use to find all the companies that will support my existing ATT phone

Damn even my TLDR is long
Difficult to do cuz every area is different.

Top Bottom