• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Paganmoon

Kept seeing people talk about minor updates, and I haven't received one in months. Just now realized I restored my phone, and forgot to enable preview for developers after the restore... bah!

edit: Also, checking for updates while on devpreview takes much longer than on regular one.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I just loce Windows Phone, but I couldn't stand any more 'resuming' on my screens. So after 3 years I dropped Windows Phone completely and switched back to iOS. Best switch ever; my cheap old iPhone5c is faster than my Windows Phone 8 ever was.

Still sad that they killed such a fast and fun OS.

It's fast for now but that kind of stuff happens with every phone. The reason I switched from an iPhone to Windows Phone in the first place was because the update to iOS 4 made my 3G turn to molasses. My Focus was blazing fast in comparison. Plus I really never liked the iPhone UI anyway, WP was much more slick.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I think my orange flip case is a bit too bright orange, haha. It is blinding.

Also o have been getting some occasional resets with my 830, anyone else?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yes I got one or two random resets on my 830 :-( Nothing serious yet though.

I love the bright green back :-D

Yeah, I think I'm going to go back to my green cover.

The resets have been a mild nuisance. Was thinking of putting the dev preview on the phone.

I got one reset earlier this week. Rather, the phone wouldn't respond when I pressed the power button to wake it up, and a few minutes later it rebooted.

Maybe it really is a repackaged 920 lolololol

MCD

I think my orange flip case is a bit too bright orange, haha. It is blinding.

Also o have been getting some occasional resets with my 830, anyone else?

All my Lumias, from 800 to 920 to 1020 used to reboot when idle. My guess it was due to bad signal reception.

But with 8.1, my 1020 took it to the next level: COLD FREEZE. One day I will be late from work because of this POS.

GTI Guy

All my Lumias, from 800 to 920 to 1020 used to reboot when idle. My guess it was due to bad signal reception.

But with 8.1, my 1020 took it to the next level: COLD FREEZE. One day I will be late from work because of this POS.

I've heard that idle reboots out of the blue are often attributed to the Bluetooth stack and when it gets into a bad place the phone restarts to fix itself. Don't quote me on that.

MCD

settings-full-devices.png

Battery life is no longer as good as it used to be, but I have had exactly 0 issues with my 1520 since the touch screen sensitivity thing got worked out over the summer. The phone has gotten better with age, unlike my four different 920s (all crapped out in new and interesting ways, but hey free replacement and then only $50 to get the 1520!) or my iPhone 4 (ran like shit, home button stopped working).

Ape

Banned
I think it was the windows guy from the verge saying that Microsoft is working on Modern (Metro) ui 2.0. It really needs an update, sometimes things seem incomplete imo. Windows 10 is the obvious launch for it, so that's exciting.

MCD

I think it was the windows guy from the verge saying that Microsoft is working on Modern (Metro) ui 2.0. It really needs an update, sometimes things seem incomplete imo. Windows 10 is the obvious launch for it, so that's exciting.

Win10 is replacing dots with hamburger menu...

Metro is dead.

Kubiubo

Win10 is replacing dots with hamburger menu...

Metro is dead.

I wouldn't say that Modern is dead, but the design principals are extremely messy and little touches aren't there (i.e. the bouncing arrow on the Start screen in WP7 when you scroll to the bottom; WP8 doesn't animate at all.)

Windows Phone 7.5 is the best representation of Metro/Modern up to this point in terms of consistency. Some stuff in 8.1 really bothers me, like using the hamburger in Cortana instead of the ellipsis menu, or how "Store" isn't stylized as "store." 7.5 did a good job of cleaning up inconsistencies in WP7 such as using '&' instead of '+.'

I think we just need a small update to really clean up the aesthetics. I know a lot of people dislike the Action Center because it drops down from the top instead of pivoting from the side. It's stuff like that which needs to be streamlined and cleaned up.

Content over chrome, digitally authentic. Windows 10 is going to be the point where we see Modern mature and grow. Luckily (in my opinion) we have Joe Belfiore as the Vice President of Windows, so his influence from Zune and Metro 1.0 are definitely there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
With settings I don't understand why they can't combine things - everything seems to be surfaced to the top level. Eg project my screen, screen rotation, glance etc could just be under display

Top Bottom