• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Nero3000

Skype and Facebook messenger have been like this for me for a long time now. It's almost idiotic when you receive a notification, and when you go to see it, it takes almost a minute for it to show the complete message.

At least whatsapp got that right XD

Eventually....

Back in the 7.5 days - i had to manually open the app to check my messages as the notifications were so unreliable.

derFeef

Skype and Facebook messenger have been like this for me for a long time now. It's almost idiotic when you receive a notification, and when you go to see it, it takes almost a minute for it to show the complete message.

At least whatsapp got that right XD

Yeah it's bad. I cleared some conversations now and archived them, seems to work better a bit. Maybe it's my low-end phone but come on...

hadareud

The Translator
Yes and he's making it sound as if this is actually made or designed by Nokia, talking about camera expertise and whatnot.

This tablet has nothing to do with Nokia or their hardware teams as far as I can see. I should day former hardware teams.

Very odd.

hadareud

The Translator
Lenovo sells a metric fuckton of Android tablets all over the world.

They sold 3 million tablets last quarter (spread between Android and Windows).

I wouldn't exactly call that a metric fuckton. That's 8.4% of their overall HW sales across laptops, phones and tablets.

Maybe we could call it an imperial fuckbucket.

Zeknurn

co8KoxR.jpg

A new Windows Phone with a 5-inch display is currently being developed, at least according to leaked photos from a Chinese factory and published by the site IThome.

The photos appear to show hardware test samples of new displays being developed for a forthcoming Windows Phone. During this process, companies usually experiment with different variations and test the quality of the factory producing the part.

It is not clear if the displays, which clearly reveal a Windows logo for the Start key, are destined for a Microsoft Lumia or if these are for some other manufacturer.

http://www.windowscentral.com/leaked-factory-photos-reveal-new-5-inch-windows-phone

hwalker84

Guy at the store sees my Lumia 1520. Says the screen looks amazing and loved the size and look of it but then said "Oh but it's not an Apple product".

Fox Mulder

The Xbox one smartglass app isnt working on my phone. It crashes immediately when I try to launch it. I've reinstalled it and restarted my phone multiple times and no difference.

I see a few people mentioning it in the app reviews but doesn't seem like a wide issue.

The Xbox one smartglass app isnt working on my phone. It crashes immediately when I try to launch it. I've reinstalled it and restarted my phone multiple times and no difference.

I see a few people mentioning it in the app reviews but doesn't seem like a wide issue.

Mine's been crashing at random points when using the app the last week or so (on the beta version).

kazinova

Signs that Windows Phone is still on the upswing. The movie theater I went to this weekend had the one of those movie-mode apps and at the end of the notice they said: "Available for iPhone and Android....and also Windows"

All of the people I was with turned to me exclaiming: "You have a real phone, finally!"

(They're all iOS and Android people)

For a split second I didn't feel like I owned the third-world country of phone OSs.

Magni

Duolingo and WolframAlpha on the same day :-o

WolframAlpha is $2.99, but for me it's probably worth that.

And Foursquare 4.0 :D

I've been on the beta, and I feel like I'm in the minority when I say I like the direction they're heading in. I wish the app were more metro-ey though (same with Swarm), the uppercased command bar labels irk me.

So after mostly being an Android guy I finally decided to jump into the world of WP 8.1 with the HTC One. I'm already well-integrated with Microsoft products and services already, so I'm pretty excited to play with my new phone later. Are there any interesting or must-have apps that I should be on the lookout for?

H3xum

So this might be a silly question, but

Why can't I download certain podcasts? Anyone have any good idea? There are a few guys I can 100% of the time download their casts no problem, however, there are other podcasts that it forces me to stream (which is no good for the car/gym). Am I missing something there?

n64coder

So after mostly being an Android guy I finally decided to jump into the world of WP 8.1 with the HTC One. I'm already well-integrated with Microsoft products and services already, so I'm pretty excited to play with my new phone later. Are there any interesting or must-have apps that I should be on the lookout for?

Are you with ATT? If so, I recommend AT&T Mark the Spot so you can flag any areas with poor cell reception.

Here are apps that I use most often.

Authenticator (for two step authentication)
Bank of America (if you use them, it's one of the best banking apps)
Barcode Wallet
Evernote (although you might want to stick with OneNote)
Here * apps
Mint
Pandora
Spotify

derFeef

Are you with ATT? If so, I recommend AT&T Mark the Spot so you can flag any areas with poor cell reception.

Barcode Wallet
Here * apps
Mint
Pandora
Spotify

Spotify free has gone to shit. I am fine with ads but if I am limited to a certain amount of skips or can't listen to a specific track - fuck that.

Barcode Wallet
Here * apps
Mint
Pandora
Spotify

I'm on T-Mobile coming from Verizon. If I don't like it I reckon I will just try out ATT. And yeah most of those apps are stuff I use on Android, which is nice since about a year ago there were definitely some key things missing.

Are there any WP-specific apps that are unique?

NeOak

I'm on T-Mobile coming from Verizon. If I don't like it I reckon I will just try out ATT. And yeah most of those apps are stuff I use on Android, which is nice since about a year ago there were definitely some key things missing.

Are there any WP-specific apps that are unique?

Stay with T-Mobile. You aren't missing much from AT&T unless you go to the country side.

Unique apps? Mostly 3rd party apps to replace functionality because we don't have official apps.

Just tell us what do you require and can't find and we might be able to help.

Top Bottom