• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Mario007

I'm looking for your advice on something. My Lumia 920 battery life is atrocious. In standby mode its ok, the phone doesn't drain very fast. But once I start using any apps like IE, wechat, viber, skype or games the drain is ridiculous. Like in 3-4 hours the phone is dead.

Further still, even using stuff like Bluetooth drains the battery like crazy. Once I turn on 3g data, even with the screen turned off and background tasks disabled, battery goes down like 40% in 3-4 hours.

Is it a typical 920 problem, or should I look into replacing my battery?

NeOak

I'm looking for your advice on something. My Lumia 920 battery life is atrocious. In standby mode its ok, the phone doesn't drain very fast. But once I start using any apps like IE, wechat, viber, skype or games the drain is ridiculous. Like in 3-4 hours the phone is dead.

Further still, even using stuff like Bluetooth drains the battery like crazy. Once I turn on 3g data, even with the screen turned off and background tasks disabled, battery goes down like 40% in 3-4 hours.

The battery is old by now. See if you can replace it.

MCD

Same problem with my 1020. Gonna wait a bit more before replacing batteries.

And nasty freezing bug finally acknowledged: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/11/microsoft-acknowledges-freezing-bug-in-lumia-925-lumia-1020-hands

Sure took their time.

Mario007

MCD

Hmm so maybe its not just a battery issue then but rather a software one? Its bad, because due to the awful battery life I'm considering selling the phone for a 100 euro and getting a cheap xiaomi instead.

I dunno. Battery issue been hunting me ever since I installed 8.1. :(

But my phone is quite old now so I'm waiting for the next software update before replacing the batteries.

KageMaru

Listening to podcasts recently, I really hope MS adds independent volume controls when you have headphones connected. Currently my options are to have the volume so low I can barely hear the podcast or have my ears blown out from my text/email notifications. Not sure how this was overlooked when developing the volume controls added to 8.1 but it's a huge oversight IMO.

derFeef

Listening to podcasts recently, I really hope MS adds independent volume controls when you have headphones connected. Currently my options are to have the volume so low I can barely hear the podcast or have my ears blown out from my text/email notifications. Not sure how this was overlooked when developing the volume controls added to 8.1 but it's a huge oversight IMO.

But...there are seperate volume controls.
edit: I have notification sounds off during headphone mode.

ElNino

Where is the option to turn off sounds in headphone mode? Looked in the notifications and also ringtones+sounds but don't see the option.
When headphones are plugged in, if you pull down the volume control panel there is a Ringer On/Off toggle. This will mute all systems sounds other than the media you are listening to, but it will still vibrate if you have that enabled.

I agree that it isn't ideal, but it's the best option unless you want to do damage your ears when you get a notification.

Waiting for T-Mobile version.

Would it be an upgrade from 521?
Not too big honestly, you're still stuck with 512mb ram which isn't enough to browse GAF without crashing and forgetting what page you're on.

Only thing I can think of that's a downgrade is the loss of the proximity sensor, which affects phone calls and the phone turning off tap to wake when the phone's in your pocket.

n64coder

Waiting for T-Mobile version.

Would it be an upgrade from 521?

I think so. It's bigger and seems faster. Are you on a post-paid plain with T-mobile? If not, you could switch to Cricket and get the 635 for free after rebate. Plus, there's a $100 credit if you're porting your number from T-mobile and you can also get $25 referral credit. I believe the phone can be unlocked after 4 months although they will be changing that to 6 months in early December. Cricket uses ATT. You would pay about 4 * 35 ($40 basic 1GB plan minus $5 credit card auto-pay discount) = $140 - $125 = $15 for 4 months of service plus you would have a free Lumia 635.

clav

Not too big honestly, you're still stuck with 512mb ram which isn't enough to browse GAF without crashing and forgetting what page you're on.

Only thing I can think of that's a downgrade is the loss of the proximity sensor, which affects phone calls and the phone turning off tap to wake when the phone's in your pocket.

Hm. Thanks.

I think so. It's bigger and seems faster. Are you on a post-paid plain with T-mobile? If not, you could switch to Cricket and get the 635 for free after rebate. Plus, there's a $100 credit if you're porting your number from T-mobile and you can also get $25 referral credit. I believe the phone can be unlocked after 4 months although they will be changing that to 6 months in early December. Cricket uses ATT. You would pay about 4 * 35 ($40 basic 1GB plan minus $5 credit card auto-pay discount) = $140 - $125 = $15 for 4 months of service plus you would have a free Lumia 635.

Person using this phone doesn't use data. Wifi calling is a very important feature.

Does anyone else get spam messages in WhatsApp? It's an unknown number with some BS about working from home. I block it but they just use a different number.

KageMaru

When headphones are plugged in, if you pull down the volume control panel there is a Ringer On/Off toggle. This will mute all systems sounds other than the media you are listening to, but it will still vibrate if you have that enabled.

I agree that it isn't ideal, but it's the best option unless you want to do damage your ears when you get a notification.

Awesome thanks, I saw the ringer icon but didn't realize it covered notifications as well.

n64coder

Person using this phone doesn't use data. Wifi calling is a very important feature.

Ahh, ATT/Cricket do not support WiFi calling. Supposedly it'll be supported sometime in 2015 but I don't know when.

I need this feature when I go to some of the remote areas of VT & NH where my relatives live.

BradC00

Gonna grab the 635 on Thursday from best buy. I have an upgrade available but im waiting to see if the wp10s come out. Coming from a titan 2.

MCD

Real talk, I have been pissy about Satya and Win/WP current situation, but I love that they are approaching formats like MKV and Flac with open arms.

Never thought they would support them, at least not this soon.

Real talk, I have been pissy about Satya and Win/WP current situation, but I love that they are approaching formats like MKV and Flac with open arms.

Never thought they would support them, at least not this soon.

That doesn't stop nerds from complaining about MS' implementation and how it doesn't support some niche features like weird subtitle implementations for animu or whatever. "Meh, it can't do that? Who needs it then. I'll just use VLC!"

Also, watch none of that codec support coming to Windows Phone, because reasons.

AlexBasch

Yep. It's a quick fix if you've a Nokia Cares store nearby, 24-48 hours.
Thanks for the answer! But I got a "yeah it's about a month to get your phone checked out and then we'll let you know if the warranty applies or you have to pay the shipment back". >_>

Fuck Mexico and that noise.

However guys, if you have a phone like the 520 or similar, I checked out this vid. Since I can't be without my phone (the contract SIM card from my carrier only works at 2G in my other phone, ugh), decided to go for it and used the corner of a "foil tray" or whatever the English word is for those packages where pills and gums are sold, you know what I mean.

And bloody hell, it freaking worked. Made sure I can pull the thing out and now it's a bit more sturdy than the other buttons, but fuck, it worked. Be sure to check that out if you have an out of warranty Lumia with that issue or don't have a Nokia repair centre or whatever near you.

MCD

That doesn't stop nerds from complaining about MS' implementation and how it doesn't support some niche features like weird subtitle implementations for animu or whatever. "Meh, it can't do that? Who needs it then. I'll just use VLC!"

Also, watch none of that codec support coming to Windows Phone, because reasons.

Don't see why considering third party apps already play mkvs nicely on WP. Like CCplayer.

I just realized that background images make my home screen sluggish on my 1020... And I only use images with a solid color so I can chose a color not currently available :(

Even with the 3 column layout it's still quite smooth with little hiccups, where before it was so bad I couldn't stand it.

I've been using custom images for background ever since it became available and just assumed that the sluggishness was due 8.1 being too much for it... Well, in a way it kinda is XD

n64coder

Not sure if this has been posted yet but MS is giving away 100 albums for free in the Xbox Music store. The article claims you need to have a subscription and live in the US but I've been able to download albums fine without a subscription.

http://m.windowscentral.com/microsoft-giving-away-100-free-albums-xbox-music

Maybe thread worthy in the OT forums?

Yes, someone posted this thread in the OT.

How did you do it without subscription?

You just need a Live/Xbox account. I don't have a subscription and have no troubles. See the details in the OT thread

KageMaru

How did you do it without subscription?

I go to the list of free albums in the Music deals app, click on an album and then tap on the "Get it for free" button. This shoots me over to the music store with $0.00 set as the price. Click on the price and download the album.

there are a lot of good albums on there. Despite owning most of the ones I would take on CD, it's worth getting them for free on the digital service just in case.

Top Bottom