• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Stay with T-Mobile. You aren't missing much from AT&T unless you go to the country side.

Unique apps? Mostly 3rd party apps to replace functionality because we don't have official apps.

Just tell us what do you require and can't find and we might be able to help.

Alright, once I get my phone I'll post back here if I have any questions. I'm hoping my 4G speeds are as good or better than Verizon's. The work day can't end soon enough...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So this might be a silly question, but

Why can't I download certain podcasts? Anyone have any good idea? There are a few guys I can 100% of the time download their casts no problem, however, there are other podcasts that it forces me to stream (which is no good for the car/gym). Am I missing something there?

If a podcast is too big, you'll only be able to download over wifi.

n64coder

Just saw that. What's the verdict on it versus the Lumia 830? Slower/worse?
I tried it in the store the other day and was quite impressed with it. It's thinner and lighter, seems faster in browsing, opening apps and taking pictures. I could not comment on the camera quality though.

clav

Looks like I'll be buying another Android handset after two years.

Do we expect a Surface Phone at some point or is Microsoft giving up?

As for the gaming side, looks like it's impossible to communicate.

Microsoft killed Master Chief and Halo.

Everyone run.

GAF is out for blood.

NeOak

Everyone run.

GAF is out for blood.

idk what they are doing.

I was going to get an Xbox One to play with friends. Said friends came back to PS4 to play Destiny (and complained about the party chat on XBO vs the PS4's and 360's) and those who were playing Destiny on Xbox One went back to it.

No XBO for me until a Halo 5 LE bundle, and that is because i'm willing to give 343 another chance after H4 -.-. Even with the fake ADS.

clav

idk what they are doing.

I was going to get an Xbox One to play with friends. Said friends came back to PS4 to play Destiny (and complained about the party chat on XBO vs the PS4's and 360's) and those who were playing Destiny on Xbox One went back to it.

No XBO for me until a Halo 5 LE bundle, and that is because i'm willing to give 343 another chance after H4 -.-. Even with the fake ADS.
YMMV. I've been getting games.

I want to talk about bugs but the thread degenerates into bickering.

Everyone run.

GAF is out for blood.
Real talk though, I have several friends that bought xbones just for this game. We're all pretty upset about this, especially the guys that are out $600ish (console, game, 4 controllers) for an utterly broken game.

This is without a doubt worse than driveclub, because this happened to a game people actually give a shit about.

derFeef

Everyone run.

GAF is out for blood.

After the run of good news and games, there is again finally a horse lying on the ground to beat. Flock incoming.

Real talk though, I have several friends that bought xbones just for this game. We're all pretty upset about this, especially the guys that are out $600ish (console, game, 4 controllers) for an utterly broken game.

This is without a doubt worse than driveclub, because this happened to a game people actually give a shit about.

It's pretty sad, have only started the game up for 1 single time.

After the run of good news and games, there is again finally a horse lying on the ground to beat. Flock incoming.

The only silver lining is that these problems should be ironed out by the time the PC version is released! :D

Got my HTC One and have been playing with it since last night. I had been curious to get a WP in the past but because I've been on Verizon I would generally just get Android devices, and have ostensibly been all Android since I got the Droid Incredible when it came out. So far I really enjoy how well-integrated everything is and how smooth the experience feels.

The only real quirks I've noticed were last night I had periods where I couldn't use the store, Cortana, or Bing, and I'm not sure if it was some sort of outage going on or if it was just a bug. The podcasts app would be perfectly fine if I could add any podcast through the search, but because it has trouble finding some things I am curious to look at another one (though I believe I could manually copy-paste the RSS feeds). The only other thing is how the email accounts are separated; it feels kind of strange but maybe I'll get used to it.

Aside from the phone itself, it seems like T-Mobile has much better speeds where I live. Despite Verizon always having 3 bars, after doing a speed test I was running at 2mbps vs 25mbps on T-Mobile. I also didn't lose signal going up to work on the 9th floor like I normally do on Verizon, which is cool.

KageMaru

Got my HTC One and have been playing with it since last night. I had been curious to get a WP in the past but because I've been on Verizon I would generally just get Android devices, and have ostensibly been all Android since I got the Droid Incredible when it came out. So far I really enjoy how well-integrated everything is and how smooth the experience feels.

The only real quirks I've noticed were last night I had periods where I couldn't use the store, Cortana, or Bing, and I'm not sure if it was some sort of outage going on or if it was just a bug. The podcasts app would be perfectly fine if I could add any podcast through the search, but because it has trouble finding some things I am curious to look at another one (though I believe I could manually copy-paste the RSS feeds). The only other thing is how the email accounts are separated; it feels kind of strange but maybe I'll get used to it.

Aside from the phone itself, it seems like T-Mobile has much better speeds where I live. Despite Verizon always having 3 bars, after doing a speed test I was running at 2mbps vs 25mbps on T-Mobile. I also didn't lose signal going up to work on the 9th floor like I normally do on Verizon, which is cool.

With the separate email accounts, do you mean as in being separate apps? You can link all of your accounts into one large mailbox.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does the podcast app save podcasts to the music folder so they show up when connected to USB? Because my car can see those folders and it would be convenient to play podcasts like that rather than the headphone socket

clav

My project is targeting phone. We ain't giving up
Shoot.

Now, I don't know if I should reup my contract or wait for your phone.

I think the claims are over-exaggerated. I tried to dig information from the complainers (i.e. where does matchmaking stop since it now has more status messages), but they don't want help.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Dragon Age is soooooo good. Most likely my GOTY.

I really liked D4 a lot. I will be bummed if the next episode doesn't get made.

it helps when you get FH2, SO, HMCC for free.

A new 3ds Zelda would be very welcoming. I still need to play D4 as well, and TWD2. Too many games came out this year, too little time.

I'm sure it does. I'd need to get an Xbox One for free first. There's just no way to justify the money for a console, even with all the free money I got, now that I'm single again. Heck, even a 3DS for the two (soon three) Zelda games is too expensive. Sure, I like fun and games, but it's not worth that much to me. At least not with barely any games that aren't on PC.

I'm sure it does. I'd need to get an Xbox One for free first. There's just no way to justify the money for a console, even with all the free money I got, now that I'm single again. Heck, even a 3DS for the two (soon three) Zelda games is too expensive. Sure, I like fun and games, but it's not worth that much to me. At least not with barely any games that aren't on PC.
And I still haven't even played my copy of Dead rising 3 and still want to finish ryse.

A console purchase is a necessity for me due primarily to playing Fifa with my hometown friends. It's our easiest way to chat and catch up

Doffen

Hi ******,

We've noticed that you're using a third-party application to access Snapchat, putting yourself (and possibly your friends) at risk. Please change your password and stop using third-party applications when you access Snapchat.

For more information, or to change your password, please visit:
https://www.snapchat.com/locked

Thanks,
Team Snapchat

How am I now going to sext with Jennifer Lawrence?

I finally received a Oneplus One invite. Should I do it guys? I'm thinking of buying it and selling it after a few weeks.
I love my OnePlus and best Android experience for me. I do miss Windows Phone UI and camera. The apps on Android are far better than WP so even I am back on Windows Phone now I am hesitate to sell my OnePlus.

Special C

I use the volume control on the side of my Icon to silence my phone. Every now and then my Ringer will be turned off despite the ringer volume being maxed out from the side buttons. Anybody know what is causing this?

Top Bottom