• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Figured it out, it wasn't available in my region (I'm in Canada). Changed my phone region to access the app, but after tapping the link to open XBOX Music the price changes to not free. Oh well.

Thanks for the answer! But I got a "yeah it's about a month to get your phone checked out and then we'll let you know if the warranty applies or you have to pay the shipment back". >_>

Fuck Mexico and that noise.

However guys, if you have a phone like the 520 or similar, I checked out this vid. Since I can't be without my phone (the contract SIM card from my carrier only works at 2G in my other phone, ugh), decided to go for it and used the corner of a "foil tray" or whatever the English word is for those packages where pills and gums are sold, you know what I mean.

And bloody hell, it freaking worked. Made sure I can pull the thing out and now it's a bit more sturdy than the other buttons, but fuck, it worked. Be sure to check that out if you have an out of warranty Lumia with that issue or don't have a Nokia repair centre or whatever near you.
Awesome, thanks! The Volume down and Power button my Development 520 stopped working, I'll try this.

Edit: Got it in! The Volume Button is working again!. Having a hard time sliding it into the power button though :\
Edit2: Yeah, I can't get it in the power button. But hey, atleast volume is working again.

hwalker84

I just don't like Android. Got my Oneplus One. Thinking about selling it to my coworker Monday instead of in 3 weeks.

Official apps are so much better :( (Facebook, twitter, etc) Devs really need to step it up man!

I'm thinking about getting this $200 hp laptop on sale at the Microsoft store for my wife. The only thing I'm worried about is this 32gb of internal storage on eMMC. I don't even know what that is. Or how much space windows 8.1 will take up. Anyone know?

This is it: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.309174500

Sorry to be off topic but I know a lot of people here would be able to help without having to sift through posts complaining about Windows 8.

hankster

I just don't like Android. Got my Oneplus One. Thinking about selling it to my coworker Monday instead of in 3 weeks.

Official apps are so much better :( (Facebook, twitter, etc) Devs really need to step it up man!
Try the Nokia Z Launcher. It's not live tiles but it's another way to interface with a smart phone. I kinda dig it.

hwalker84

I'm thinking about getting this $200 hp laptop on sale at the Microsoft store for my wife. The only thing I'm worried about is this 32gb of internal storage on eMMC. I don't even know what that is. Or how much space windows 8.1 will take up. Anyone know?

Sorry to be off topic but I know a lot of people here would be able to help without having to sift through posts complaining about Windows 8.

I'm going to guess windows 8.1 takes almost all of that 32gb's. Going to need a MicroSD card.

My 920 is completely unbearable at this point. The battery lasts maybe half a day if I dont turn battery saver on. And thats just sitting in my pocket. The freezes and sluggishness of the apps is a whole different animal.

Windows Phone is my preferred ecosystem. I have thousands of songs on my phone from the Xbox music store. I have thousands of photos on SkyDrive and my phone.

But this is killing me. There is nothing for WP that ATT has that I want and I want a flagship phone that isn't almost 2 years old.

So I am looking at a... *sigh* Nexus 6. Beautiful phone, great specs. But when I had a mytouch 3g I hated it. But I've seen my wife's Samsung Note and my friends Nexus 4 and both look pretty good.

Is there an Xbox music app for android? I have a music pass I want to keep. What about my SkyDrive stuff?

Any thoughts on a Nexus 6? Any hope for a new flagship anytime soon?

Magni

Is the DT-903 wireless charger ever coming? They said October, no news since the announcement the first week of September, and we're about to be in December :(

My brother was going to buy it for me for my birthday months ago, now I don't know if he'll even be able to buy it for Christmas.

NeOak

My 920 is completely unbearable at this point. The battery lasts maybe half a day if I dont turn battery saver on. And thats just sitting in my pocket. The freezes and sluggishness of the apps is a whole different animal.

Windows Phone is my preferred ecosystem. I have thousands of songs on my phone from the Xbox music store. I have thousands of photos on SkyDrive and my phone.

But this is killing me. There is nothing for WP that ATT has that I want and I want a flagship phone that isn't almost 2 years old.

So I am looking at a... *sigh* Nexus 6. Beautiful phone, great specs. But when I had a mytouch 3g I hated it. But I've seen my wife's Samsung Note and my friends Nexus 4 and both look pretty good.

Is there an Xbox music app for android? I have a music pass I want to keep. What about my SkyDrive stuff?

Any thoughts on a Nexus 6? Any hope for a new flagship anytime soon?

Any chance of getting a 635 for $40 this week?

Or a 830? Or a M8?

1520 used should be cheap and its nice if you can work with the size.

There's literally no point in trying a new OS for 5 minutes then deciding you don't like it. Put your windows phone in a drawer and force yourself to use the oneplus for 2 weeks and see if you still feel the same way.

hwalker84

There's literally no point in trying a new OS for 5 minutes then deciding you don't like it. Put your windows phone in a drawer and force yourself to use the oneplus for 2 weeks and see if you still feel the same way.
Back on my 1520.
For today. I'm going to give it a full go for two weeks.

Any chance of getting a 635 for $40 this week?

Or a 830? Or a M8?

1520 used should be cheap and its nice if you can work with the size.
I'm screwed on the 635. Sold out online wont be able to make it to the MS store.

If I spent the money on the 1520 I'd rather spend the money on something newer honestly. I'm planning on selling whatever phone I get and the resell value of the nexus lines seems good.

Haven't heard enough on the 830 or M8? How are they deature/spec wise. That could be an option

Xbox Music on Android is awful.
May I ask what makes it so bad?

NeOak

I'm screwed on the 635. Sold out online wont be able to make it to the MS store.

If I spent the money on the 1520 I'd rather spend the money on something newer honestly. I'm planning on selling whatever phone I get and the resell value of the nexus lines seems good.

Haven't heard enough on the 830 or M8? How are they deature/spec wise. That could be an option

May I ask what makes it so bad?
If you want specs and are willing to live with a bad camera, get the M8.

If you are done with mid range specs, get a 830.

I'm on my phone, so can't link info at the moment. Do a search.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
fuck

my

life

My trusty 920 has been claimed by the porcelain gods after I busted one of its SIM connectors trying to extract my microSIM to miniSIM adaptor. What am I going to do now? The 730 is way too crummy for my tastes, and the 830 is expensive for what it is.

I may end going the Android route and buy a cheapy phone until the 1030 arrives...

Edit: It looks like I may get it fixed for cheap, or at least cheaper than a new phone.

BradC00

Did you try best buy? I got there about 2 hours later then when they opened at 5 and they had a few left when i picked up mine.

Love this phone. My wife says its a downgrade from my titan 2 because it has a smaller screen and no forward facing camera. Wp8 makes up for it and i got the developer preview so im enjoying folders and all the new apps. Love it :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
fuck

my

life

My trusty 920 has been claimed by the porcelain gods after I busted one of its SIM connectors trying to extract my microSIM to miniSIM adaptor. What am I going to do now? The 730 is way too crummy for my tastes, and the 830 is expensive for what it is.

I may end going the Android route and buy a cheapy phone until the 1030 arrives...

Edit: It looks like I may get it fixed for cheap, or at least cheaper than a new phone.

But if you were going to get a cheaply android to tide you over, why not get a cheapy WP like a 735?

NeOak

Funny, that BlackBerry Passport looks nice for $499.99.... and that hardware QWERTY... *drools*

Must... resist... niche... products... with... no... apps...

*looks at Dell Venue Pro* too late

MCD

Funny, that BlackBerry Passport looks nice for $499.99.... and that hardware QWERTY... *drools*

Must... resist... niche... products... with... no... apps...

*looks at Dell Venue Pro* too late

I've been looking at dell venue pro for 2 hours now...I need it and yet no idea why.

I want a Dell Venure Pro 2 with better specs, love real keyboards. Still really want a Blackberry passport but having bought a Band I like the WP ecosystem. Cortona voice support via the band is really useful for my machine job.

NeOak

I've been looking at dell venue pro for 2 hours now...I need it and yet no idea why.

If you mean the Dell Venue Pro 8, that is not what I meant.

This is what i meant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Venue_Pro

Unfortunately i lent mine to a friend and the headset speaker stopped working. I fear when I get it back it will be in pieces.

It was an unlocked AT&T version bought directly from Dell. Truly an unicorn WP7 phone.

I want a Dell Venure Pro 2 with better specs, love real keyboards. Still really want a Blackberry passport but having bought a Band I like the WP ecosystem. Cortona voice support via the band is really useful for my machine job.

I forgave the shit camera, short battery and sometimes bad signal for two things: Hardware QWERTY and Rotation Lock when the keyboard was open.

NeOak

oh that...I remember those golden days of hope and dreams.

Yeah, good times.

Dell%20Venue%20Pro.jpg

I always wanted one but could never find one in stock at Microsoft stores. Ended up sticking with my Blackberry bold until the 920 came out.

NeOak

I always wanted one but could never find one in stock at Microsoft stores. Ended up sticking with my Blackberry bold until the 920 came out.

They were never really sold in the MS stores.

T-Mobile offered it for a while. AT&T "did" too but your best option was Dell.com, as I did.

Maybe I'm misremembering, been a while. Just know I was never able to find them until I no longer had the money to get one, lol.

Edit: Is this a reasonable deal for a 1520? 920 is crashing at random now so I really need something

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
But if you were going to get a cheaply android to tide you over, why not get a cheapy WP like a 735?

Because it costs €240, whereas a fully specced, high quality 4G midranger with a much better rear camera, a Snapdragon 410 proc, twice the internal storage, dual SIM and a metal body goes for €220.

Lumias are awful value at launch. AWFUL.

The repair shop just asked me for €35, so I'll just go with that.

Top Bottom